• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram/MBTI combination as a modification of expressed behavior

á´…eparted

passages
I could have put this in the MBTI sub, but went with this one because I think it has a bit more of an effect on enneagram.

I was talking to [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] last evening, and one thing that was briefly mentioned that, as a 1, I am much more apt to express anger and vent than one would typically expect for a 1. It kind of runs counter to what 1's are about. I said it was because I am Fe, and it changes things a bit. It got me thinking: How much of an effect does MBTI have on the expression of enneagram. I'm focusing on the MBTI->ennagram as opposed to the opposite, since enneagram involves expression more directly and consistently than MBTI does, so this is the more apt way to discuss it.

Enneagram types and MBTI Types tend to have fairly strong overlaps. Highlander published some great charts on this mined from the forums a while back (can't find the thread at the moment unfortunately). When things are in harmony things tend to be expressed as are typical for an enneagram type. But what of the cases where it's an uncommon pairing, or a rare pairing? How do these expressions change, do they commonly change, and does it make it more difficult for someone to type themselves correctly?

We do occasionally see individuals show up with MBTI and ennagram types listed that are the statistically common pairings (take INTP-5 for example), only to later change upon deeper investigation. A lot of the cited reasons for this is they thought their functions and thinking translated pretty easily into a given enneagram type. Humans are complex though, and there's no reason to think a certain way of thinking (MBTI) is going to consistently dictate behaviors (enneagram).

I don't think it would be possible for there to be a quantified summarized way to explain all this, simply because there's well over 200 type combinations. You can't easily account for that when all of their reasons are different. So, to those of you who have an uncommon MBTI-enneagram pairing, how do you think you differ from the "classic" enneagram depiction, and why do you think you differ from that? Those with common pairings can weigh in their thoughts as well on this matter. Further, was their difficulty in figuring out your types because of this?

Discuss.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I could have put this in the MBTI sub, but went with this one because I think it has a bit more of an effect on enneagram.

I was talking to [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] last evening, and one thing that was briefly mentioned that, as a 1, I am much more apt to express anger and vent than one would typically expect for a 1. It kind of runs counter to what 1's are about. I said it was because I am Fe, and it changes things a bit. It got me thinking: How much of an effect does MBTI have on the expression of enneagram. I'm focusing on the MBTI->ennagram as opposed to the opposite, since enneagram involves expression more directly and consistently than MBTI does, so this is the more apt way to discuss it.

Enneagram types and MBTI Types tend to have fairly strong overlaps. Highlander published some great charts on this mined from the forums a while back (can't find the thread at the moment unfortunately). When things are in harmony things tend to be expressed as are typical for an enneagram type. But what of the cases where it's an uncommon pairing, or a rare pairing? How do these expressions change, do they commonly change, and does it make it more difficult for someone to type themselves correctly?

We do occasionally see individuals show up with MBTI and ennagram types listed that are the statistically common pairings (take INTP-5 for example), only to later change upon deeper investigation. A lot of the cited reasons for this is they thought their functions and thinking translated pretty easily into a given enneagram type. Humans are complex though, and there's no reason to think a certain way of thinking (MBTI) is going to consistently dictate behaviors (enneagram).

I don't think it would be possible for there to be a quantified summarized way to explain all this, simply because there's well over 200 type combinations. You can't easily account for that when all of their reasons are different. So, to those of you who have an uncommon MBTI-enneagram pairing, how do you think you differ from the "classic" enneagram depiction, and why do you think you differ from that? Those with common pairings can weigh in their thoughts as well on this matter. Further, was their difficulty in figuring out your types because of this?

Discuss.

Funny I just resurrected one topic with fairly similar arguments about e1.

To be honest one of the main problems in my type is the name of my enneagram type (1w9) which is called "idealist" and that doesn't go that well with my NTJness. I trully think that knight or crusader would be a much better fit. Yes, the type is driven by all kinds of ideals and wishes but by puting focus on that you are missing the concrete part/point. This is why 8w9 fit me better at face value even if my inner world isn't all that much 8 like.

One of the reasons why I think that I was mistyped is because both of my MBTI and enneagram type have strong americanization in them that are describing the culture more than motivations. I am ENTJ that wasn't born in Capitalism and 1 from unreligious family. This one just had to go wrong. :doh:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] This is a great thread, I've been thinking about that for a while, specially that I find myself struggling with my 7 wing, it's distracting that I sometimes wonder if I am half P half J :laugh: but I never got P in any of the tests that I have taken..
First off I would like to indicate that I might have e1 in me, if I consider going on tritype, e1 would definitely be one of them, that's how I tend to be while working and that's how majority of people describe my style of doing job, I'm perfectionist and ambitious in whatever I do, I just take things to higher levels and make them the best as they can be, but I still find myself more 6 in core, I do express anger, I just try hard to not show it but most of the time I can't help it, I might turn it into a humor or a joke or just try to show them that ok don't take it too seriously, but do as I said haha :D
However, having a 7 wing definitely changes the way my J works, it keeps distracting me, making it harder to focus on one thing for longer than 2 minutes, my brain keeps going to other areas and have sudden interests and curiosity about other things, or just find a minor detail that interests me in what I'm doing then dig deeper in it, get thrilled and excited to know more about it..
I'm an excellent planner, you can give me very complicated list of tasks and I can schedule them effectively and efficiently, but I find difficulty in pursuing them or sticking to the time, I just feel so nervous about it so I would do other interesting stuff to keep my mind away from this tension, I eventually get to do them, but uh.. I just can't be like that all the time it puts more pressure than I can handle..
I'm spontaneous and I don't take myself too seriously, I jump so fast from one subject to another, but try to not be like that with people other than my family and close friends, I talk fast because some ideas keep rushing into my head, I love to see people that I care about laugh or have a good time, that's why I have sharing habits, I keep sending them music that I think they would love, or jokes and memes they would relate to or laugh at, which might contradicts with the first impression that people get about me, being classy with rather cautious attitude, having a baby face and rather innocent girly lady vibe, they tell me I'm so humorous and full of surprises :laugh:
Moreover, I HATE surprises, I hate sudden plans, even at minor pleasures in life, everything should have been told to me in advance, or else I would get very nervous and just keep rumbling, I don't go about something unless I know the keys of it and how I would go about it..
What else? Mmm that's what I got so far, I will try to think of of other stuff later on..