• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] The new and improved Enneagram! From the sponge and evan.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes! 2 w 1, I think? :newwink: <--Miss Eyelash N Me Eye now

Well... Let's just assume that is correct, miss Eyelash N Me Eye Now. ;)
That would at least make you 2w1. Now, the next number has to either be 9 or 7. Do you think you are more like a 9 or a 7 (I think I know the answer to this).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
break it down for me brotha...whatcha doin in this here thread?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm pretty sure I posted here before but I had some new insight on my Enneagram type since then.

I'm a 6>1>4.

This implies my 'opposite' Enneagram type is a 7 since I relate the least to Positivism and the least to Aggressive.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty sure I posted here before but I had some new insight on my Enneagram type since then.

I'm a 6>1>4.

This implies my 'opposite' Enneagram type is a 7 since I relate the least to Positivism and the least to Aggressive.

Bingo-bango, you hit it on the head.

If that is what you think describes you best, so be it.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have never had a good handle on enneagram because I never felt any one description jumped out as a great fit. In taking Riso's test twice (a couple years apart), I got a marginally highest score on 1 both times. I also scored high on 8 and 4 and 5.

Looking at your stacks I'm torn between two on each stack:
suppressive/turbulent > controlled
anticipating/pursuing > avoiding

To summarize my pro/con of a description of 1:
I identify with conscientious/ethical/strong sense of right and wrong/advocate for change. I am not fearful of mistakes/perfectionistic but can be critical.

On the 8:
I am self-confident, assertive, resourceful, decisive. I am not domineering or ego-centric but can be confrontational.

So I don't know if I am better described as a
1-Anticipating/Suppressive or an
8-Pursuing/Turbulent

Considering the other permutations - I don't at all identify with committed, security oriented 6-Anticipating/Turbulent. I'm not quite so opposed to the success oriented pragmatic 3-Pursuing/Suppressive.

Still looking for a pattern or strong identification to pop out on enneagram form me. Your version certainly performs as well as the standard for me, but not definitively better.

Considering the matrix position high score on 4 might suggest an 8 I am guessing but not a 1. But high score on 5 might suggest a 1 but not an 8.

The possible 9 or 2 or 7 wings for a 1 or 8 were not at all helpful for distinguishing between 1 and 8. So on your wing redefinition, I with you.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well... Let's just assume that is correct, miss Eyelash N Me Eye Now. ;)
That would at least make you 2w1. Now, the next number has to either be 9 or 7. Do you think you are more like a 9 or a 7 (I think I know the answer to this).

*puzzles* Not sure... :huh: Which do you think is more me?

G

garbage

This system makes much more sense to me, because 1 > 3 > 8 describes me better. Having to choose between 2 and 9 wings really doesn't sit well with me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to give a comprehensive answer, Erudur, but at the moment it still sounds like you're having typing problems that sort of precede stages that this thread can help very much.

*puzzles* Not sure... :huh: Which do you think is more me?

I think you're more 7 than 9. This is partly just because I recall that you would score very high on 7, and sometimes, even score higher on that than 2. Also, the more turbulent aspects of your personality don't seem to fit a 9 at all.

So let's assume that's correct; You'd be a 2>1>7, and the type you are least like would be 4. If the full order can actually be considered accurate, then yours would either be:

2-1-7-3-6-9-8-5-4

EDIT: One last thing... I don't recall if your Instinctual order was I-P-S or P-I-S. Didn't it actually alternate on the test results? I wonder which one more accurately describes you.

or

2-1-7-6-9-3-8-5-4.

Depending on which order is more accurate. And again, that's assuming the order idea is accurate at all.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd like to give a comprehensive answer, Erudur, but at the moment it still sounds like you're having typing problems that sort of precede stages that this thread can help very much.

Maybe I can get you to talk a little more about your thoughts on these stacks. Can there be a true tie between two traits? Do you think there may be certain social settings where one wears one trait one place but another trait another?

Do you think your organization along these lines may be leaving something out, something you haven't found a place for yet?

redacted

Maybe I can get you to talk a little more about your thoughts on these stacks. Can there be a true tie between two traits? Do you think there may be certain social settings where one wears one trait one place but another trait another?

(I know you asked Magic, but I helped come up with this system so I'll respond.)

There can be a tie, I guess, just like there could be a tie in MBTI. But it's likely that one trait is at least slightly preferred over the others. Any personality system is an approximation, unfortunately.

It's certainly true that different traits come out in different situations, just like in MBTI.

I do believe this system adds clarity to enneagram, as it breaks down the nine types to two variables with three possible values instead of separately defining each type. Our wing system was designed to allow for a bit more flexibility as well.

Do you think your organization along these lines may be leaving something out, something you haven't found a place for yet?

I can't think of anything that our system misses that the original enneagram system accounts for, except maybe the arrows of integration and disintegration, which I never really thought made sense anyway.

Can you think of anything we're missing? We're both quite open to new suggestions.

Thanks.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't feel like I have any great critique because the light bulb hasn't turned for me yet.

I guess I'd just throw out this: I think that 8 or 1 is my primary and 1 or 8 is my dominant "wing" which would be kind of a rule exception (1 can't be a wing for 8, 8 can't be a wing for 1).

Though I probably feel compelled to reject the enneagram, as my work to apply it tends to suggest I am schizophrenic.:steam::cry:

redacted

I don't feel like I have any great critique because the light bulb hasn't turned for me yet.

I guess I'd just throw out this: I think that 8 or 1 is my primary and 1 or 8 is my dominant "wing" which would be kind of a rule exception (1 can't be a wing for 8, 8 can't be a wing for 1).

Though I probably feel compelled to reject the enneagram, as my work to apply it tends to suggest I am schizophrenic.:steam::cry:

"suppressive/turbulent > controlled
anticipating/pursuing > avoiding"

It seems unlikely to me, although I may be wrong, that you really have a tie for first on both variables. Suppressive and turbulent are quite different, as are anticipating and pursuing. Could you maybe give a little more information as to why you think you're tied on these traits?

The reason I'm not responding to you feeling like a 1 or an 8 is that in this system, the numbers literally don't mean anything more than the intersection of the two variables. If you are 8-like, it means you are pursuing/turbulent-like. If you are 1-like, it means you are anticipating/suppressive-like. But if you really were tied in both variables, you would be just as 3-like and just as 6-like as 1-like and 8-like.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
for this I don't know if i'm getting it right but this is what i'm agreeing with most in order of preference.
thinking either (most likely)core type: 2
primary wing 6
secondary wing 7
could someone help me understand 2>6>7 p-i-s to see if i'm on the right track.
Behavior:anticipating, pursuing, avoiding
emotion:controlling, tubulent, suppressive
motive:preservational, intimate, social.
I think i defiantly shift more emotionally haha this is really clearing things up hmm.
I'm interested in learning about the wings having a little difficulty very interested in finding out my wings this sounds more better to understand the enneagram.
my info on what I am thinking i am is in my sig I'm kinda torn between 9 and 2 which i hear can be pretty similar on the outside.
can you help me point out what my wings/type would be i'm up for questions cause i don't comment much so if info's needed ask away ^^D.
this way sounds like I could apply it more I have been trying so hard to understand the enneagram with disintegration/integration idk anymore to be honest haha.
you guys defiantly put alot of work in this I'm very curious ;).
thanks in advance for the help in clarifying this :)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
for this I don't know if i'm getting it right but this is what i'm agreeing with most in order of preference.
thinking either (most likely)core type: 2
primary wing 6
secondary wing 7
could someone help me understand 2>6>7 p-i-s to see if i'm on the right track.
Behavior:anticipating, pursuing, avoiding
emotion:controlling, tubulent, suppressive
motive:preservational, intimate, social.
I think i defiantly shift more emotionally haha this is really clearing things up hmm.
I'm interested in learning about the wings having a little difficulty very interested in finding out my wings this sounds more better to understand the enneagram.
my info on what I am thinking i am is in my sig I'm kinda torn between 9 and 2 which i hear can be pretty similar on the outside.
can you help me point out what my wings/type would be i'm up for questions cause i don't comment much so if info's needed ask away ^^D.
this way sounds like I could apply it more I have been trying so hard to understand the enneagram with disintegration/integration idk anymore to be honest haha.
you guys defiantly put alot of work in this I'm very curious ;).
thanks in advance for the help in clarifying this :)

Well, duchess, a lot of the extra parts of the Enneagram me and dissonance threw out altogether, as we felt they were not validated by the rest of the system, and basically just confused things even more. There are a lot of unwarranted specifications and predications in the conventional Enneagram.

The current version you have listed is valid. 6 can be a wing of 2 because they are both behaviorally anticipating, and 7 can be a wing of 2 because they are both mood controlling.

Now, what you're saying, though, is that you just as well might be a 9. And if you were a 9, that you would change your wing options a bit, too. 6 wouldn't be possible. So what are you? You are correct in saying that the too are easy to mix up, and it is common.

As you see, both types are mood controlling, so they are distinguished by behavior. The main difference between a 2 and a 9 is the amount of influence they attempt to wield. Because 9s are avoidant, they generally don't want to have much responsiblity put on them. when 9s do step in, it is almost always to prevent a negative, disharmonious situation from forming. So even then, they only want to stabilize, and then lay back again. If their attempt fails, they are likely to retreat from the situation altogether. A 2 is very different in this regard. 2s often want to feel like their is weight on their shoulds. They want to feel necessary. All anticipating types have a somewhat custodial nature to them. They believe they have to be around to keep things in shape. So, 2s tend to have a lot more presence than 9s, as 2s hate letting things go or falling into the background. 9s do not obsess in the same way.

There are other differences, but I think the main point here is that it's hard to get 2s to butt out of things, while it's not hard at all with 9s. 2s tend to feel subtantially more controlling of circumstances, and more obsessive of their place.

Does that help at all?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hey...i want some more enneagram stuff to read...do i have to figure a lot of stuff out or what?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, duchess, a lot of the extra parts of the Enneagram me and dissonance threw out altogether, as we felt they were not validated by the rest of the system, and basically just confused things even more. There are a lot of unwarranted specifications and predications in the conventional Enneagram.

The current version you have listed is valid. 6 can be a wing of 2 because they are both behaviorally anticipating, and 7 can be a wing of 2 because they are both mood controlling.

Now, what you're saying, though, is that you just as well might be a 9. And if you were a 9, that you would change your wing options a bit, too. 6 wouldn't be possible. So what are you? You are correct in saying that the too are easy to mix up, and it is common.

As you see, both types are mood controlling, so they are distinguished by behavior. The main difference between a 2 and a 9 is the amount of influence they attempt to wield. Because 9s are avoidant, they generally don't want to have much responsiblity put on them. when 9s do step in, it is almost always to prevent a negative, disharmonious situation from forming. So even then, they only want to stabilize, and then lay back again. If their attempt fails, they are likely to retreat from the situation altogether. A 2 is very different in this regard. 2s often want to feel like their is weight on their shoulds. They want to feel necessary. All anticipating types have a somewhat custodial nature to them. They believe they have to be around to keep things in shape. So, 2s tend to have a lot more presence than 9s, as 2s hate letting things go or falling into the background. 9s do not obsess in the same way.

There are other differences, but I think the main point here is that it's hard to get 2s to butt out of things, while it's not hard at all with 9s. 2s tend to feel subtantially more controlling of circumstances, and more obsessive of their place.

Does that help at all?

hey Magic thanks so much
I put what i think to be the code for this in my signature
okay so that explains my battle with 9 and 4 haha what effect does the third number have the 2 in relation to 9>4>2 as a secondary wing is it effective or the weakest one?

this helps alot cause reading with what you said about the differences of 2 and 9 I agree with 9 more cause
1) don't usually want alot of responsibility on me hehe
2) true when i do step in it's cause i have too or a situation won't get better if i don't hehe. I think what clicked was when you said about 2's want to feel like there is weight on there shoulders eeek I'd rather not it's usual like as little as possible please ;) never liked that kind of pressure hahaha.
I also don't have problem letting things go/in the background as long as everything is looking good. I have tended to not butt into things like with friend situations but if something is happening and no one else is saying anything to help that person I may try if it seems there not helping themselves either but if even with having tried, there not helping themselves i then go back to keeping a distance from the situation (from experience especially since they are rather aggressive/give off a negative vibe I'd rather not get involved).
Pretty much I have realized I have a been soundboard for my (negative; they were draining the energy out of my physically,emotionally)friends problems and I finally got sick of always hearing problems they weren't solving for themselves etc and withdrawed etc/had to set bounderies cause when i try to mediate a problem and i get yelled at I don't like that so much just trying to help, okay i'll back away(inner me :steam:, outer me :shock:)
Example: it was up to me cause i'm babysitting 2 kids(9 & 5yrs) and there was one other kid(9yrs) who was wanting come over and I was frustrated cause they get wild together
but i kept being bothered and guilt tripped by my mother hehe about how there crying i'm like fiiiinnnneee lol make me feel a monster if i say no you won't leave me alone and if i say yes you will so yes they can hahaha and i would feel horrible if i said no too. I knew i didn't have a say anyway and if i held my ground I would have been manipulated/guilt tripped when they came over*sigh troublesome/watch too much naruto*