• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] The new and improved Enneagram! From the sponge and evan.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
7/8/5 doesn't fit in our system. 5 is diagonal from 7 and 8. There's a chart on the first page.

:cry: But those are the types I identify with... none of the others!! lol

Up to my early 20's I was a 5 all the way, but gradually the five-ishness diminished and I became 7 and 8 ish. I really can't decide which is more me out of those two at all, but I do know that I have still a strong background in five, you could say. Five-ish tendencies.

So... not even this system can contain me!! :cry:

*slumps off, the eternal outcast*

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay, let's have a close look and take it from the top.

My hierarchy of preferences for the first variable would be pursuing>avoiding>anticipating.
For the second variable, controlling>suppressive>turbulent
For the third, my stack goes like social>intimate>preservational

I'm having trouble making sense of the other part...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
anticipating>pursuing>avoiding
controlling>turbulent>suppressive
intimate>social>preservational

So what do I do now?

redacted

Okay, let's have a close look and take it from the top.

My hierarchy of preferences for the first variable would be pursuing>avoiding>anticipating.
For the second variable, controlling>suppressive>turbulent
For the third, my stack goes like social>intimate>preservational

I'm having trouble making sense of the other part...

So you're a 7>9>3 SIP or a 7>3>9 SIP

anticipating>pursuing>avoiding
controlling>turbulent>suppressive
intimate>social>preservational

So what do I do now?

2>7>6 ISP or 2>6>7 ISP.

look on the 5x5 table on the first page. take your first value in both variables and look at where they cross (7 for sub, 2 for dana). Then take the 2nd place in row and column. Whichever one you identify with more is the 2nd number, the 3rd is the leftover.

For example, I'm
Avoiding>Anticipating>Pursuing
Controlling>Suppressive>Turbulent
Intimate>Preservational>Social

So my type is Avoiding/Controlling (9). My 2nd place in a column is Avoiding/Suppressive (5). My 2nd place in a row is Anticipating/Controlling (2). I identify more with 5 than 2, so I'm 9>5>2. IPS just gets tacked on at the end.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
7>8>9 SPI :)

(this does make sense doesn't it? those are always my 3 highest types and such...)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, sweet I get it. (I have images turned off so I initially missed the charts.)

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
What do you mean? That's all there is.

I´m wondering if it´s just about getting a nice label. You see, the fuzzy, esoteric aesthetic has one advantage, you have to strain yourself to get any understanding out of it. If you make it very easy you may miss what it´s all about. To understand your type it´s necessary to invest time and energy or you will only get a nice label.

That´s not specifically directed at you, I just observe that there´s more talk about enneagram test scores than passions.

That's like saying "after you figure out your MBTI type what do you do next?"

Yes, it´s the same. There´s a difference between getting your test results and actually learning about your type.

redacted

How do you learn about a type? That doesn't make sense to me.

All you can get are examples. Or you can look at the parts that make the whole. That's it.

There is no "greater" knowledge of an INFJ, for example, than knowing about Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se, and knowing how Ni dominance affects the other functions.

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
How do you learn about a type? That doesn't make sense to me.

By getting to know the theory, by drawing your own conclusions and by observing how a type manifest itself. And with the enneagram by finding out how your basic passion runs through your life, by seeing where´s your focus of attention and by finding out about your type pattern.

There is no "greater" knowledge of an INFJ, for example, than knowing about Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se, and knowing how Ni dominance affects the other functions.
I don´t know what you mean by “greater” knowledge, but certainly knowledge about Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se has to be acquired, you´re not born with it.

redacted

Meh, we're on different planes. We're both right (we don't disagree).

I just wondered what you meant by "what now". I thought it would be self-explanatory.

redacted

okay, well i have to conclude then that it doesn't work, then, cos I don't indentify with either 9 or 3 at all, but 8 and 5 strongly. :(

If you identify with 8 strongly, then maybe your order is actually different than you stated. 8 is turbulent/pursuing. So you are probably Controlled>Turbulent>Suppressive instead of Controlled>Suppressive>Turbulent.

In this system, we've redefined the types by the variables. The common type descriptions aren't a reliable means to check validity in our system. (Same is true with MBTI anyway.)

Maybe 7>8>9 SIP?

Again, 5 is diagonal from 7 and 8, which means it shares no variable values in common. 9 makes more sense because it shares the "controlled" variable with 7, but is in "avoiding" mode instead of "pursuing".

Also remember that everyone can identify to some degree with all types. Our system is just meant to show where someone fits in the grid most often. The wings just further specify the placement.

Kanamori

I had more to say, but I got drunk while going through the second and third posts and forgot it... suspense... but I still know that I intended to ask this, what is the biggest downfall of your take on the enneagram?:coffee: (me trying to make sense of something that made sense to me before... obviously not something that should be taken too seriously, but it was going to help me get at what you thought you were correcting, in a deeper sense than you stated, in the enneagram)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah okay well I can go with the first part, but no, there's really not much 9 in me at all, but still very much of 5.

It could be that I'm a sorta exceptional case in that I did have a very violent, traumatic event that sorta ruptured my life from early 20's onwards kind of totally asunder from my life previous to that, so that I not only developed in a direction that was very artificial, with a sort of 'forced' personality of introverted behaviour, leading to my seeking solace and to make sense of the deep shit i was in through the acquisition of knowledge and very 5 type behaviour. But then when I was sorta liberated from that in a completely unforeseeable way, my whole personality was able to take off in a totally different direction as my actual authentic extraversion made itself known.

Hm... my first objection to the official Enneagram system was that I felt I should be 8w5 haha... but up to my early 20's I really was a very stereotypical 5, whilst as I say, now most people say (including the pro Enneagram dude I know in RL) that I'm split down the middle between 7 and 8.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you for the awesome work you did in putting this thread together.
I think it should be nominated for the "
Haight Classics".

As far as the first variable, I'm pretty sure I do the Avoidant the most.

I don't think I understand the second variable well enough yet.
I do some of each and I can't tell them apart enough to differentiate.

Can you help me?
Did anybody notice my question? I still need help.