• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] The new and improved Enneagram! From the sponge and evan.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But that's not exactly what I said. I'm talking epistemology, not ontology, since the beingness of the instinctual variants is not enough to construct a useful taxonomy without a way to reliably distinguish between them and the 9 types. To get even more specific, how would you write a test that would distinguish between someone who stays home because their primary instinct is self-protection and their ego is safer inside, and someone who stays home because they judge an unfavorable cost-benefit ratio for going out? Heck, how would you even explain the difference??

The way to tell the two apart would be based on the fact that they differ in interaction with eachother. A pursuent P-I-S is going to look very different from an avoidant S-I-P. I think the main thing to keep in mind is that none of these qualities stand alone. Even if in theory they would be appear similar on their own, they are never going to be on their own.

Take a look at the MBTI. Only a crappy test (though there are many) would operate on trying to figure out if you were F vs T, and then S vs N, etc.. in such a manner. Any test that's worth anything is going to ask questions to determine how much you use processes like Fe or Si. It's going to look for the distinct qualities of their interaction.

As such, the yet unwritten test for this system would likely not try to determine your type in each variable in an isolated fashion. The exact mechanics I do not yet know (obviousy, or I'd have a test), there are a few choices on how to do it. But whatever way it's done, it would be feasible to account for the interaction of two traits. Because the behavior trait is more about a default strategy for how to situate yourself, and the instincts are more about what you particularly want or don't want. There is a distinction to each of the 9 possible combinations of behavior and motive.

The biggest issue for me in writing a test would actually just be the sheer complexity of accounting for all three variables. That is, also including the affective/mood variable.

I hope that's somewhat helpful.

Hey,

[post too long to fully quote]

My response to your overall post is that I'd be the first to admit that the new system takes something of a sledge hammer to the old one, and those attached to or looking for the old one may not like what they find. The old enneagram was a system, but this all came about as a concern that the Enneagram's logic was not consistent and certainly not valid (that is, it's methods were not pertinent to what it claimed to be determining). This is a general assumption about the enneagram on the part of myself and others. However, for those that the enneagram does describe well, it may seem fine and not worth changing.

Let me say that the type One descriptions usually do a very good job of describing me. However, things really fell apart for me at the wings and the lines of intergration and disintegration. This lead me to further investigation of how they worked, and I found something I considered dubious at best. So in other words, this project comes about as a result of the incredible inconsistency with which the Enneagram works for people.

Lexan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My response to your overall post is that I'd be the first to admit that the new system takes something of a sledge hammer to the old one, and those attached to or looking for the old one may not like what they find. The old enneagram was a system, but this all came about as a concern that the Enneagram's logic was not consistent and certainly not valid (that is, it's methods were not pertinent to what it claimed to be determining). This is a general assumption about the enneagram on the part of myself and others. However, for those that the enneagram does describe well, it may seem fine and not worth changing.

Let me say that the type One descriptions usually do a very good job of describing me. However, things really fell apart for me at the wings and the lines of intergration and disintegration. This lead me to further investigation of how they worked, and I found something I considered dubious at best. So in other words, this project comes about as a result of the incredible inconsistency with which the Enneagram works for people.

The Enneagram's logic is consistent - it is consistent in that it follows rules according to the geometric shape, the points of integration and disintegration are logically consistent, whether they make sense to the individual interpreting them is a different story. When I first read about The Enneagram I was very sceptical about the points of integration/disintegration - they were the only thing that didn't make sense. But I can see them more clearly now, that I have a strong connection to both types One and Two.

Out of interest, why exactly do you identify with the type One description? Type One corresponds strongly, almost exclusively, with the J function, usually SJ. Obviously you're strongly identified with INTP - and if you identify with type One I'd say 6w5 might be a good place to look. Especially considering the nature of this thread. :D That or maybe 5w6. The fact that you wish to 'improve' The Enneagram system may in itself be indicative that you are indeed a type One. I have found that trying to correspond E types with MBTI types often doesn't work. But it's strange that a type One would be an INTP - they are obsessive about practicality, getting things done... INTPs aren't.

redacted

The Enneagram's logic is consistent - it is consistent in that it follows rules according to the geometric shape, the points of integration and disintegration are logically consistent, whether they make sense to the individual interpreting them is a different story.

How is it consistent? 1>4>2>8>5>7....9>6>3? Why are there two different groupings? It's a 9 sided figure and there are two groups, one size six and one size three? That's so arbitrary.

Another arbitrary thing is that each type is defined separately instead of having intersecting variables that determine type. So why 9? At least in this system we give reason for the number 9 (3x3). We also have wings that make sense and are parallel.

Lexan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
How is it consistent? 1>4>2>8>5>7....9>6>3? Why are there two different groupings? It's a 9 sided figure and there are two groups, one size six and one size three? That's so arbitrary.

Another arbitrary thing is that each type is defined separately instead of having intersecting variables that determine type. So why 9? At least in this system we give reason for the number 9 (3x3). We also have wings that make sense and are parallel.

The 142871... and 3693... groupings are different continuums. These are different sections of The Enneagram. The former is joined together, but not to the latter, which is a seperate continuum. Despite this, there are two other triangles which make up The E aside from the 369, however they are not connected, by lines and therefore don't constitute integration/disintegration points. These are 258 (power seekers) and 147 (ideal seekers), they a 'moving against (confronting) and 'moving away (withdrawing)' respectively, according to the terms Karen Horney devised. The 369 triad is known as the 'approval' triad, seeking affirmation and 'moving towards (embracing)'. It's pretty complicated and I have yet to fully read up on it. I believe you would have read up on the works of Ichazo to get to the bottom of it, assuming you haven't already.

I'm not an expert on this, I'm learning it all myself, but have you taken a look at these links?

How the Enneagram Personality System Works

a short course on the enneagram triads

http://enneagramtriads.com/Overview_Triad_Symbols.pdf

Amazon.com: The Enneagram Triads: A Key to Personal and Professional Growth (9781882042166): Dick Wright: Books

and just for good measure:

Riso-Hudson Enneagram

Also, taken from The E institute Discussion Board:

The 'Centers' -

Heart: 2 + 3 + 4 = 9
Head: 5 + 6 + 7 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9
Gut: 8 + 9 + 1 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9

The Hornevian Groups -

Withdrawn: 4 + 5 + 9 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9
Compliant: 1 + 2 + 6 = 9
Assertive: 3 + 7 + 8 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9

The Harmonic Groups

Competency: 1 + 3 + 5 = 9
Reactive: 4 + 6 + 8 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9
Positive Outlook: 7 + 9 + 2 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9

Primary Types triangle: 3 + 6 + 9 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9
Secondary Types: 4 + 1 + 7 + 5 + 8 + 2 = 27 // 2 + 7 = 9

Add the types horizontally across from each other:
8 + 1
7 + 2
6 + 3
5 + 4

EDIT:

I just realized that this is my 9th post! That's creepy, that is, I better head off before I start getting reaally creeped out...

redacted

It's all so complicated and arbitrary, like I said. I also don't see a way to reason to the system from constituent parts. That's why this system makes me much more comfortable.

It's not a question of my knowledge of the traditional enneagram. I've read a bunch about it and I just can't buy into it.

Also, taken from The E institute Discussion Board:

The 'Centers' -

Heart: 2 + 3 + 4 = 9
Head: 5 + 6 + 7 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9
Gut: 8 + 9 + 1 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9

Why does that math mean anything?

The Hornevian Groups -

Withdrawn: 4 + 5 + 9 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9
Compliant: 1 + 2 + 6 = 9
Assertive: 3 + 7 + 8 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9

If you notice, that's actually one of the groupings we built this system on.

The Harmonic Groups

Competency: 1 + 3 + 5 = 9
Reactive: 4 + 6 + 8 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9
Positive Outlook: 7 + 9 + 2 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9

And this.

Primary Types triangle: 3 + 6 + 9 = 18 // 1 + 8 = 9
Secondary Types: 4 + 1 + 7 + 5 + 8 + 2 = 27 // 2 + 7 = 9

Add the types horizontally across from each other:
8 + 1
7 + 2
6 + 3
5 + 4

Again, why is this math relevant to anything?

Lexan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's all so complicated and arbitrary, like I said. I also don't see a way to reason to the system from constituent parts. That's why this system makes me much more comfortable.

It's not a question of my knowledge of the traditional enneagram. I've read a bunch about it and I just can't buy into it.

Why does that math mean anything?

If you notice, that's actually one of the groupings we built this system on.

And this.

Again, why is this math relevant to anything?

I just thought that last part was wicked cool. :D

That's good that you included the Hornevian and Harmonic groupings in your system, at this time I can't find a parallel between those groupings and The Enneagram geometric figure, aside from the fact that there is one type from each Center - I would agree that for those particular groupings there is no apparent corresponding geometric pattern (that I know of). Will have to look into that...

If you don't accept The Enneagram's logic, I suppose there is nothing I or any relevant Enneagram literature can do to help that. The links provided merely supply the information needed - The Enneagram's symbol is the basis for the underlying structure of the 'personality' system, and it is very logical and precise. I do think there are some inconsistencies which are sparse and merely inconsistencies because they don't adhere to the structure of the Enneagram shape - perhaps you could explain them in more detail to me? :)

The Enneagram is no more arbitrary or inconsistent than the MBTI, which I find far more vague, imprecise and illogical when it comes to the basic structure of the system, and also when it comes to the system working in 'practice', as opposed to just in theory. Understandably, one would think that The Enneagram would surely be more illogical and inaccurate, but it's not. At least, not in my experience. How a geometric figure corresponds so well with human nature is a mystery, but it seems to work. If you do not think so, I don't mind, but I think you are missing out on some very interesting stuff.

redacted

The Enneagram is no more arbitrary or inconsistent than the MBTI, which I find far more vague, imprecise and illogical when it comes to the basic structure of the system, and also when it comes to the system working in 'practice', as opposed to just in theory. Understandably, one would think that The Enneagram would surely be more illogical and inaccurate, but it's not. At least, not in my experience. How a geometric figure corresponds so well with human nature is a mystery, but it seems to work. If you do not think so, I don't mind, but I think you are missing out on some very interesting stuff.

I get frustrated with this argument, especially the bolded. It's not like the geometric figure actually has anything to do with human nature, or even the inner workings of the enneagram system. Someone just decided to represent the types in a figure and draw some lines across. I could make some MBTI diagram and it would do the same thing.

And even if you like the visual representation thing, our system would actually look more symmetric and parallel than the current system.

As for the so called inconsistency with MBTI, it's only inconsistent if you're stuck between the two ways of understanding it. There's the four dichotomies way (I vs. E, S vs. N, T vs. F, J vs. P), which...well...is just four dichotomies. 2^4 = 16, so that's why there are 16 types. Or there's the functions way, which is more complicated, but basically it boils down to this: there are 8 options for your dominant function, and 2 options for each of those for auxiliaries. 2*8 is 16. Either way, the fact that there are 16 types comes from simple logic.

With enneagram, the 9 types are all separately defined. There's no multiplying things together to get 9 or anything. It just happens to be 9. The point of our revision is to make 9 actually mean something, namely, the intersection of two variables with three possible values each (3x3 = 9). The variables themselves are the groupings you mentioned earlier. So to type someone in our system, you just have to figure out where they fall in each of those two variables and you're done. Whereas in the normal enneagram system you basically have to look through all 9 types and pick the best fit. Much less efficient that way, and harder to compare the types.

Additionally, there's the wing system which is in my opinion just silly. Why would 4 and 5 be as close together as 8 and 9? They don't seem equally close to each other whatsoever. And the whole 142857 -- OMG they're the numbers you get in order when you divide any integer by 7 and look at the decimals! It's like...so what? What does 7 have to do with anything? Why two separate groupings? Why don't the arrows all follow the same pattern?

Our wing system actually makes sense, or is at least consistent with itself. You stay within one grouping and look for your second closest type. Then you do that with your other grouping. Those are your wings. Done. Each possible wing is just as close as each other one.

Basically our system gets all the good stuff from enneagram (quick typing for example) and throws away the stuff that makes no sense. The types still correspond to what you've learned, we've just provided a shortcut method to getting to them, which on top of being faster actually makes more sense.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your system basically isn't the true enneagram, since you've made changes to how it works. I prefer the original system myself... the integration and disintegration all make sense, all of the types with wings make sense... yeah. 9w8 makes a lot of sense for my type.

Your system may as well just be totally separate from it, what about people like me who relate strongly to 9 and 8, or 6 and 7? The positioning and the wings aren't "meaningless", they actually make sense when applied to people.

I don't even know what my type would be in your system now that I give it another look, since I can't be a 9>8>? of some sort.

Lexan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I get frustrated with this argument, especially the bolded. It's not like the geometric figure actually has anything to do with human nature, or even the inner workings of the enneagram system. Someone just decided to represent the types in a figure and draw some lines across. I could make some MBTI diagram and it would do the same thing.

What you bolded is not an argument, it is a statement that I made about my own doubts regarding The E, but it's not an argument by any means. ;)

The figure does represent the underlying patterns that exist with The Enneagram personality theory, and the patterns as defined by the symbol are mainly consistent. I understand your frustration in not being able to correlate the patterns that exist within the system with human nature - it's absolutely unbelievable!!! ;) But there are some seriously accurate correlations and insights going on there, and I've seen it again and again with myself and others.

And even if you like the visual representation thing, our system would actually look more symmetric and parallel than the current system.

As for the so called inconsistency with MBTI, it's only inconsistent if you're stuck between the two ways of understanding it. There's the four dichotomies way (I vs. E, S vs. N, T vs. F, J vs. P), which...well...is just four dichotomies. 2^4 = 16, so that's why there are 16 types. Or there's the functions way, which is more complicated, but basically it boils down to this: there are 8 options for your dominant function, and 2 options for each of those for auxiliaries. 2*8 is 16. Either way, the fact that there are 16 types comes from simple logic..

I think the functions do play an important role with the types, but whether the logic that has been devised is actually accurate to individuals... I am unsure... I've looked through the ordering of the functions as defined by Myers, Beebe, Berens etc, and though I see there is a logic behind this, I am unsure of it's accuracy in regards to defining the human personality; particularly in accurately categorizing individuals with consistency and fluency.

One who doubts The Enneagram may say the same for its logic - there is no definitive evidence for either system, and there may never be. But you still haven't pointed out any inconsistencies that occur within the geometric figure of The Enneagram, specifically which correspond to inconsistencies that exist with the actual personality system. You say that it's arbitrary how the 1758241... continuum is separate from the 3693... continum, but this is merely what makes up The Enneagram figure, it's a nine sided figure composed of three triangles, however two of these triangles don't intersect at one side, nor should they, as each point should only connect to two other points by means of the lines connecting them. The triangle that does have all lines connecting has to be the one with the point facing the very top, otherwise the figure wouldn't have nine points.

It's not that I totally dismiss the MBTI, I can see its merit. In my experience, it is probably the best and most accurate personality typing system besides The Enneagram. That is my personal opinion, and only my personal opinion.

With enneagram, the 9 types are all separately defined. There's no multiplying things together to get 9 or anything. It just happens to be 9. The point of our revision is to make 9 actually mean something, namely, the intersection of two variables with three possible values each (3x3 = 9). The variables themselves are the groupings you mentioned earlier. So to type someone in our system, you just have to figure out where they fall in each of those two variables and you're done. Whereas in the normal enneagram system you basically have to look through all 9 types and pick the best fit. Much less efficient that way, and harder to compare the types.

Additionally, there's the wing system which is in my opinion just silly. Why would 4 and 5 be as close together as 8 and 9? They don't seem equally close to each other whatsoever. And the whole 142857 -- OMG they're the numbers you get in order when you divide any integer by 7 and look at the decimals! It's like...so what? What does 7 have to do with anything? Why two separate groupings? Why don't the arrows all follow the same pattern?

Our wing system actually makes sense, or is at least consistent with itself. You stay within one grouping and look for your second closest type. Then you do that with your other grouping. Those are your wings. Done. Each possible wing is just as close as each other one.

Basically our system gets all the good stuff from enneagram (quick typing for example) and throws away the stuff that makes no sense. The types still correspond to what you've learned, we've just provided a shortcut method to getting to them, which on top of being faster actually makes more sense.

Now that I've actually read your system, I can say I think you've done an impressive job in devising it, and I'm still trying to get my head around it. :D You have indeed created an interesting theory - and I like how you have based it off the Hornevian and Harmonic groupings, as well as the Instinctual Variants. According to your system, I think I would be a 4>5>6 S-P-I, considering the following:

Social > Preservational > Intimate
Turbulent > Suppressed > Controlling
Avoiding > Anticipating > Pursuing

?

:D

However, this is inconsistent with my understanding of how the types are present within me - I think that everyone has each of the nine 'drives' within them, it's just that one seems to take the lead as a strategy for coping with life. For me, I feel that Six and Eight are the drives which are least dominant, and that my wings (Three, Five) are the second most dominant besides Four. While the wings merely add flavour and behavioural characteristics to the personality, the points of integration/disintegration constitute the subsequent 'movement' that the personality makes, for better or worse. For example, in my 'movement' to One, I strive to improve myself and my environment for the sake of purity and rightness, I overcome my self absorption and self consciousness that results from my fear of defectiveness by aiming for what is objectively right for both myself and others. However, in the move to Two, I will overestimate my need to be loved by others, my subjectivity in regard to my perception of others will increase, and my ego will become inflated with illusions of being more important to others than I actually am. :)

I find the original system to be uncannily accurate, and this system you've created is not The Enneagram as the title would imply. 'Enneagram' contains 'ennea', which means nine, and 'gram', which means graph. Though you've used knowledge from the original system, it is not The Enneagram and further comparison would be detrimental to our perception of both systems. Aside from the fact that you've used information from the original, they are different systems which follow different logic.

So, if I can't convince you when it comes to The Enneagram, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

redacted

but this is merely what makes up The Enneagram figure, it's a nine sided figure composed of three triangles, however two of these triangles don't intersect at one side, nor should they, as each point should only connect to two other points by means of the lines connecting them. The triangle that does have all lines connecting has to be the one with the point facing the very top, otherwise the figure wouldn't have nine points.

I honestly have no idea how to follow what you're saying.

There are tons of possible consistent ways the arrows could work. For example, 1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8>9>1...1>3>5>7>9>2>4>6>8>1...1>5>9>4>8>3>7>2>6>1... or you could have three triangles: 1>4>7, 2>5>8, 3>6>9, etc. etc. These all just make way more geometrical sense than what you're talking about.

I find the original system to be uncannily accurate, and this system you've created is not The Enneagram as the title would imply. 'Enneagram' contains 'ennea', which means nine, and 'gram', which means graph. Though you've used knowledge from the original system, it is not The Enneagram and further comparison would be detrimental to our perception of both systems. Aside from the fact that you've used information from the original, they are different systems which follow different logic.

Well, it is 9, and we drew a graph, so it can be called an enneagram. But you're right, it's not the same system, and I am not trying to claim that it is.

Lexan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I honestly have no idea how to follow what you're saying.

There are tons of possible consistent ways the arrows could work. For example, 1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8>9>1...1>3>5>7>9>2>4>6>8>1...1>5>9>4>8>3>7>2>6>1... or you could have three triangles: 1>4>7, 2>5>8, 3>6>9, etc. etc. These all just make way more geometrical sense than what you're talking about..

Just explaining how the shape works geometrically - I definitely agree it could have been clearer. I'm new here and don't know how to post an image. If I did I would post a picture, perhaps a few to try to explain it more succinctly. How The Enneagram is presented is simply the best possible way that it can be, with the number 'Nine' being represented at the very top. This way, if one adds each pair of types horizontally from the bottom (5+4, 6+3, 7+2, 8+1, 9) you get nine in each instance. Thus, the ubiqitous nature of this number is shown. TBH, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at with the different was the arrows could work. So I assume you're saying that instead of being 1-9, they could be scrambled in any kind of order because the way the system is presented is so arbitrary. I disagree. You could be saying something else entirely, I apologize if I misunderstand.

Well, it is 9, and we drew a graph, so it can be called an enneagram. But you're right, it's not the same system, and I am not trying to claim that it is.

So that's settled then. :)

I really don't think that I'm the best person to explain these things, there are people who are far more knowledgable and who understand The Enneagram far more than I do who would probably do a better job. Still, I feel that a lot of hostility and dismissal that is aimed at The Enneagram is due in large to misunderstanding - and, as the types seem to be shallow caricatures, I can see how it's an easy system to dismiss. Also, the shape that constitutes The Enneagram personality system could easily be dismissed as merely arbitrary and baseless, just from the fact that we're trying to decipher people's personalities from a nine pointed figure. But there are various patterns and intricacies which occur within The Enneagram, and most people who dismiss it haven't looked into these... well...at all. It seems as though you have done some research, which I salute you for. I'm glad you've taken the effort to read my posts and I hope you've got something from them, even if you don't believe what I'm saying. :D Perhaps this new system may gets some folks here more interested in The Enneagram, and lead them to discovering their true type, which I think is fantastic.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
magifporiferan said:
The reason you are not controlling, is that "controlling" in this case does not simply mean any kind of intervention with your emotions, like suppression would be. At one time, I also called this value the "projecting" value. You see, it is not merely that a controller/projector is trying to subdue their feelings, rather, they intentionally try to project some of them outward, even to extremes beyond what is really being felt. While the suppressing type is putting all emotions down, and the turbulent type is letting them all go, the controlling type is picking and choosing which ones to dampen and which ones to enhance. Often, controllers pick positive emotions to inflate and negative emotions to dampen, hence the characterization of 2s, 7s, and 9s as all being types that have a hard time facing ugly situations. What you refered to as your controlling tendency sounds more like another example of suppression.

I'm not sure how I missed this entire thread, I'll have to read more of it.

Most of my perspective here comes as a Five, since it's the type I understand best and the most relevant to me personally.

I identify strongly with the Suppression thing, that WAS my original instinctive mode of dealing with emotions. As I got older, I learned to do marginally some of the Controlling stuff, but that was learned behavior; also, there are other influences such as religion, where I was taught that a "good person" shows positive emotions and smothers bad ones.

My questions here are more a matter of what "health" looks like. I've had to learn to be a Controlling type because realistically my Five rationale tells me that (1) emotions actually aren't evil, they help us to feel alive, (2) some emotions are good and some are destructive, so (3) some emotions should be shown and some should be set aside or not expressed.

I actually think you are talking instinctive styles, not growth styles here, so maybe what I've just described has little bearing on your theory... but to people who look at surface detail, the two can seem very much alike. I guess there has to be a distinction made between these three unnuanced instinctive styles and a healthy "controlling" style which probably could better be labeled "mature"? Since the Controlling being done here is not being used as a coping mechanism to avoid anxiety and/or appease others (as I think Controlling is instinctively an attempt to do) but as a realistic and balanced approach to honoring oneself as well as others around one.

But anyway, it makes me wonder about Five -> Eight, the direction of integration. This part of your theory seems to conflict with that... unless I (as stated) assume those three styles to be instinctive styles (the initial coping mechs) rather than ones that persevere. Otherwise I should be moving from "Suppression" to "Turbulent," which sounds unstable... but I think technically they should all move to "Mature," the state where all three know how to express or set aside emotions appropriately.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure how I missed this entire thread, I'll have to read more of it.

Heh. And it's a little over a year old at this point. :D

Most of my perspective here comes as a Five, since it's the type I understand best and the most relevant to me personally.

I identify strongly with the Suppression thing, that WAS my original instinctive mode of dealing with emotions. As I got older, I learned to do marginally some of the Controlling stuff, but that was learned behavior; also, there are other influences such as religion, where I was taught that a "good person" shows positive emotions and smothers bad ones.

My questions here are more a matter of what "health" looks like. I've had to learn to be a Controlling type because realistically my Five rationale tells me that (1) emotions actually aren't evil, they help us to feel alive, (2) some emotions are good and some are destructive, so (3) some emotions should be shown and some should be set aside or not expressed.

I actually think you are talking instinctive styles, not growth styles here, so maybe what I've just described has little bearing on your theory... but to people who look at surface detail, the two can seem very much alike. I guess there has to be a distinction made between these three unnuanced instinctive styles and a healthy "controlling" style which probably could better be labeled "mature"? Since the Controlling being done here is not being used as a coping mechanism to avoid anxiety and/or appease others (as I think Controlling is instinctively an attempt to do) but as a realistic and balanced approach to honoring oneself as well as others around one.

Basically, an attempt has been made to avoid labeling what is healthy and unhealthy. If by instinct styles you simply mean a predisposition, then yes, that is essentially what this system describes. I find the concept of psychological healthy to be too subjective to involve in the system at this time. I haven't checked with Evan on this specifically, I suspect he thinks similarly.

After all, this isn't any agreement on what is the healthy path. Is it building up your weaknesses and thus becoming balanced? Is it actualizing yourself by maximizing your exceptional strengths? The Enenagram as it would be presented by Riso and Hudson has always struck me as odd. All of the maximally healthy types seem virtually indistinguishable to me. It seems they define one perfect health, and we all move towards that. On the other hand, aside from suicidal tendencies, the minimally healthy types are very different, and are painted like extreme caricatures of their types. Riso and Hudson clearly believe in the theory that balance health. I myself have always disliked this. The point is, "healthy" is too hard to define.

Of course the other issues with this as well as the MBTIs healthy theories (like that shadow stuff), is that it can be very blurry and confusing. How do I know of someone is an ESFJ or an unhealthy INTP? And when does the time come that someone is officially unhappy enough to inverse? There are strange questions like that which I'd rather avoid.

But anyway, it makes me wonder about Five -> Eight, the direction of integration. This part of your theory seems to conflict with that... unless I (as stated) assume those three styles to be instinctive styles (the initial coping mechs) rather than ones that persevere. Otherwise I should be moving from "Suppression" to "Turbulent," which sounds unstable... but I think technically they should all move to "Mature," the state where all three know how to express or set aside emotions appropriately.

Well, our system does not say a Five cannot become an Eight, but is says they do not have to. Evan and me agreed that the lines of integration and disintegration were riddled with problems, and we removed them. For one thing, they seemed arbitrary without justification. Almost capricious. There seemed to be no explanation as to why one type would always become more like one in health, and more like another in unhealth (and again, what is health?). This was supported by the fact that the lines were based almost purely in symbolism. They conveniently followed the symbol, just like the original wing system did. In both cases, the idea is based more on the symbol than the psychology, which means it's as good as numerology.

Having removed the lines, however, we did not replace them. So there is currently nothing in the sytem that says what you can or cannot turn into under a particular condition. It is stated that Fives and Eights cannot be wings, but that's a different matter. Essentially, I feel that health paths are too perscriptive, making predictions about what you will become and what you need. This system should essentially be descriptive, and not extrapolate so much, because it does not have the basis to do so.

It may very well be the case that all types can become mature, not being rigid to one of those particular systems. However, I feel that maturity is defined by the goals of the individual and the culture they are in, so maturity is not a very specific concept. At the moment, the closest thing to maturity as you describe it would simply be a tie between all three affective modes. However, since there is no current reference to good or bad forms of these modes, two different people who tied all three could be dramatically different. One could look to you to have the worst of all worlds and the other could have the best of all words.

Even in the past few days I've been working on this sytem, over a year after it was started. There are a lot of loose ends to be tied, and I feel I have made progress on some of them, but the issue of health and transition is one I temporarilly touched and then abondoned. I don't know when I'd get around to it again, but you could say it's low on my list.

panda

Personally, I think this is a bit too much trait based. For example, As a nine I can seriously identify with your "wings" of 5,7,4 and 2. In fact, these are the types that I am most likely to be mistyped as. However, while I can identify with these type's traits; I cannot identify with their motivations. For example; I may like to be helpful, but I do not have 2s neediness. Despite not having 1's conscientiousness or , I can easily relate to my one wing. I am idealistic and want to "change the world." More importantly, I relate to the basic fear: of being corrupt and evil.

While I commend you for being able to formulate a logical system to categorise personality, I believe you made a mistake. Humans are not logical, and nor do their personality follow logic. The theory of wings and intergration/disintergration lines come from the study of human behaviour and while it is not logical, it doesn't mean it is useless.

Oabout the health thing: R+H used their ideas on fixations and ego to determine health. While this is not related to the enneagram, I believe this is a good intro to these ideas:
The Ego and the Unconscious

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I think this is a bit too much trait based.

What do you define as a trait and not a trait?

For example, As a nine I can seriously identify with your "wings" of 5,7,4 and 2. In fact, these are the types that I am most likely to be mistyped as. However, while I can identify with these type's traits; I cannot identify with their motivations. For example; I may like to be helpful, but I do not have 2s neediness. Despite not having 1's conscientiousness or , I can easily relate to my one wing. I am idealistic and want to "change the world." More importantly, I relate to the basic fear: of being corrupt and evil.

It's true that this sytem does not have motives as specifically defined as the Enneagram did. However, it was my impression that the notable narrowness and precision of the profiles results from unwarranted assertion and extrapolation. They were narrow enough that I felt it was easily possible for many human beings to not be any type at all. Sort of the opposite problem the MBTI has, which tends to define profiles so loosely that not only is everyone one of the types, they are frequently two or three types.

While I commend you for being able to formulate a logical system to categorise personality, I believe you made a mistake. Humans are not logical, and nor do their personality follow logic. The theory of wings and intergration/disintergration lines come from the study of human behaviour and while it is not logical, it doesn't mean it is useless.

Here we have an intraversible disagreement.
1: Anything that can't be analyzed through logic is of no use to me.
2: That's fine, because I believe there is nothing in this cosmos that can't be analyzed through logic.

I have never seen the evidence that the wings and the lines are somehow routed in an emperical reality. Since it's already been made clear that these things don't seem to work from a strictly rational standpoint, empericism is the only thing that could come in to prove the rationalization to be faulty. So I'll be waiting.

Oabout the health thing: R+H used their ideas on fixations and ego to determine health. While this is not related to the enneagram, I believe this is a good intro to these ideas:
The Ego and the Unconscious

I am familar with much of this material. Applicable though it sometimes is, I think it gets taken too far. Secondly, Also, Riso and Hudson take a big jump from those theories to the particulars of their system, espeically in terms of their attempt to work it into the lines.

panda

What do you define as a trait and not a trait?

Not the best definition, but traits are habitual behaviour or thoughts, while desires and motivations are not traits.

It's true that this sytem does not have motives as specifically defined as the Enneagram did. However, it was my impression that the notable narrowness and precision of the profiles results from unwarranted assertion and extrapolation. They were narrow enough that I felt it was easily possible for many human beings to not be any type at all. Sort of the opposite problem the MBTI has, which tends to define profiles so loosely that not only is everyone one of the types, they are frequently two or three types.

I do feel the same about this problem and your solution does seem logical. However, I believe motivation and internal world of the types happen to be one of the most important part of the Enneagram. If you are simply wanting to make a typology of traits; then this is the way to go. However, I don't believe this is the way to go.

I have never seen the evidence that the wings and the lines are somehow routed in an emperical reality. Since it's already been made clear that these things don't seem to work from a strictly rational standpoint, empericism is the only thing that could come in to prove the rationalization to be faulty. So I'll be waiting.

There is no evidence, really. There are some theories floating around, but these seem to be BS made up by people trying to prove the enneagram. I know it sounds really bad, but that's the truth. Regardless, it works. Then again, is there any proof of the eight MBTI functions?

I don't see the use of logic to try and find the truth. Using logic, the idea that you are in a matrix-like world means absolutely nothing is certainly true.

I am familar with much of this material. Applicable though it sometimes is, I think it gets taken too far. Secondly, Also, Riso and Hudson take a big jump from those theories to the particulars of their system, espeically in terms of their attempt to work it into the lines.

I don't understand the "taken too far" part, so I won't comment on the levels of health yet. And I'm not sure how the lines work either...

Bleh, my argument sure was weak >.<

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a different system of enneagram, since they are not sticking to the traditional system. There isn't integration, no levels of health, no wings that are next to type. Without that, in my opinion, this isn't enneagram. You are just blocking together on the surface traits of the various enneagram types to describe people.

princessleia1982

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
This theory is pure genius! I think you should call it Enneagram Stacks and keep the original descriptions of the types and just use the type with the two wings to combine into a certain type of person like the lover, the boss...etc...
Here is my data:
Behavior Emotion Motive
Avoiding Turbulent Intimate
Pursuing Controlled Social
Anticpating Suppressed Preservation

1. Avoiding Turbulent=4
2. Avoiding Control=9
3. Turbulent Pursuing=8
4. Avoiding Suppressed=5
5. Turbulent Anticipating=6
6. Pursuing Controlled=7
7. Pursuing Suppressed=3
8. Controlled Anticipating=2
9. Anticipating Suppressed=1

So, my final result is:
4>9>8 I-S-P.

And that amazes me because when I read all of the types, I realized that those three fit me best. I had a hard time believing that I was a 5w but I knew that I wasn't a 3w with the old system and this shows that a 3w is almost at the bottom of the list! WOW! Great work! Now maybe I can help you make it more readable to F personalities because the T jargon was hard to interpret even for me as an INFP.

princessleia1982

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Pretty good.
I still think different types should be stacked according to I, P and S, so that you could be one type in one area, another in another area, and yet another in the last area (or the same in all areas). That would basically match Temperament + Interaction Style + an additional distinction of "intimate" (just like FIRO).

And in the table, shoudn't "Anticipating" be in the middle as the "moderate" renge, with "pursuing" on the right as the opposite extreme of "avoiding"?
Like think of the "object" of the "moving" as being to the right:
<--Avoiding | Anticipating | Pursuing-->

Here's the diagram of how I use this concept for expressing/wanting behavior
Hometown Has Been Shutdown - People Connection Blog: AIM Community Network

<--Avoiding | Anticipating | Pursuing-->
If you change the table to have the above pattern, it would not change the first two because the pattern :
<--Suppress| Control | Turbulent-->
remains the same.

For example, my pattern is 4>9>8.
Switching anticipate and pursue would make my new pattern 4>9>6. You have a good point there...I bet it would change the order of the rest of the numbers as well. But it does not affect the first two numbers so it would be hard to study.

I accept your revision and here is mine:
4>9>6>5>8>2>1>7>3
Intimate, Social, Preservation.
4>9>6. I-S-P.
And look! 3 is in the last position this time! No wonder I chose the 5w with the original test instead of the 3w!