• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] How comfortable are you with self-revelation?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ok, thanks for all the responses everyone. I have read them all - [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] I simply read somewhere that 3s would not be comfortable with it, idr where though. I think it was in the ennegaram made easy it also said that threes don't like talking about their private lives, though I guess thats not the same thing as self-revelation, it is kinda related.

I'm pretty open about my private life, depending on the setting. Obviously I don't tell strangers what about my therapy sessions from the previous week. But for the most part I'm really not all that guarded.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That is a really good point. I'm sure that a large part of the reason why self-revealing attracted largely negative attention when I was younger was because it was a rather unhealthy landscape I was exposing. If it hadn't been as dark, things would very likely have been different.

Well, I don't know what kind of things you were revealing, though I see a difference between being dark and being unhealthy. It isn't because something revealed is dark that this revelation is unhealthy.

A complaint I have heard from certain types like sevens and eights regarding fours is that fours tend to over-indulge their dark side, to the point it leaves them wondering if they really are trying to get better. I can see revealing dark things about oneself as a form of honesty though.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm a 3 and I'm actually incredibly comfortable with it. :shrug: I'm not sure why OP thinks we wouldn't be. 3's like to jump at any opportunity to relate to others/portray ourselves a certain way.

I will add that I've been told I'm a very healthy/self-aware 3. However, I think health needs to be taken into consideration before making any sort of statement about things a certain type are comfortable with/good at.

For this I will blame mostly the fact that you are ESFJ and So dom. Most 3s are more "ghostly" regarding that.

I've never really looked into tritype, maybe 835. It sounds familiar but it could be another combo. The best way I have found at explaining expressing feelings is - *I* don't even understand them just yet. How am I suppose to explain them to you FFS? Most people accept this.

Well, tritype is very easy to understand if you know classic enneagram theory. You just have to arrange your strongest head,heart,body type from the strongest to weakest and that is it. The only tricky part is that you have to know yourself well enough to determine how much you align with each of the types. Anyway 835 types pretty strongly correlate with NTJ mindset.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I don't know what kind of things you were revealing, though I see a difference between being dark and being unhealthy. It isn't because something revealed is dark that this revelation is unhealthy.
True. I was using "dark" as an alternate word for unhealthy there, but definitely believe in more definitions for it than that.

A complaint I have heard from certain types like sevens and eights regarding fours is that fours tend to over-indulge their dark side, to the point it leaves them wondering if they really are trying to get better. I can see revealing dark things about oneself as a form of honesty though.
On one hand, one reason why I may edit it more today is that I've not so much given up on this being understood as can see why it might be difficult to understand for an outsider to it, and how I may be making it harder to understand by using mental imagery to illustrate even the positives that is conventionally seen as negative. On the other hand, I am beginning to see that there actually are some thought patterns I'd be better off without, that I was or still am attached to.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On one hand, one reason why I may edit it more today is that I've not so much given up on this being understood as can see why it might be difficult to understand for an outsider to it, and how I may be making it harder to understand by using mental imagery to illustrate even the positives that is conventionally seen as negative. On the other hand, I am beginning to see that there actually are some thought patterns I'd be better off without, that I was or still am attached to.

Yeah, I always found it kinda weird how society seems to consider some darker topics to be unhealthy when they are in fact a part of life, a part of life that I find myself coming to terms with easier than many other people, I don't see all these thought patterns as unhealthy from a subjective standpoint though some of them are. I am careful about what I reveal to other people though, for fear of not wanting tod rive them away, at the same time, I want people to see me for who I am, including the negative. It sort of depends on the closeness of the relationship.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I suppose that depends on the revelation. Some revelations are uncomfortable no matter what... But I see them as opportunities to take control of my life. So I welcome them, gruesome as they can sometimes be.