• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Enneatype and addiction? (tritype 4-7-8 sx/so)

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- this is mb a bit of a self-indulgently personal post, im not sure? bt ah well-

-SOOOOO im [infj] 4-7-8 sx/so aaaand substance abuse/addiction (-alcoholism) has been a massive problem for me for several years now (-am aiming to get completely sober bt. not quite there yet, slip-ups/lapses etc)

& ofc the - excellent - ocean-moonshine 4 sx/so description mentions that substance abuse may be a problem bt- idk - i am thinking my tritype is like - also at play here? does anyone have any thoughts on this? (-ofc i am not attempting to "explain" this issue solely in terms of personality matrices or anything, am thoroughly aware of the other factors at play in my situation [incl. issues of neurodivergence, etc], bt am jst interested in how it might be framed in these terms)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
1. All of your tritype numbers are prone to indulgance and addiction of some kind.

2. Your variant is Self preservation in the last place.

3. You are a feeler and therefore prone to subjective reasoning.

4. You have inferior Se that often shows itself as indulging and pleasure seeking in stressful times.

I don't want to insult you but with this combination it trully isn't a miracle that you have addiction problems.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like can't tell how prone to addiction I am which kinda freaks me out. Definitely addicted to caffeine and half way addicted to cigarettes. I smoke a lot of weed. Don't think I have a big risk for alcohol dependency since I have drank socially and casually for many years now. But yeah, I like things. Like intensely. And I like pleasure. And I seek to escape. And I'm not always in touch with myself. And a lot of that is 7w6 sx. For sure. Maybe 2 saves me? Not sure. Interesting topic though. And good for you for battling your addictions. That's something I really fear when I think about this, and not understanding my own tendencies. It can't be easy.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As a 4 (a 4-9-7, though) I'm prone to escapism - into fantasy and yes, into substances so I stay away. However, being a 4 has its perks as well...if you do the work, you can actually sort out your emotional baggage quite effectively since that's what we do in the healthier levels - we transform our pain into art, beauty and inspiration - which then allows you to stop relying a crappy coping mechanism like substance abuse, and build actual proper ones.

Meanwhile, we are also the ones in enneagram who, where others might not even know it exists or wouldn't even go near it, aren't bloody afraid to not only stare into the Abyss, but actually have a fucking picnic there at Ground Zero on a pretty sunday.

Substance abuse almost always means there's emotional baggage that's stinking up the place - often with self-esteem issues.

So, get picnicking, and face that Fear :coffee:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same tritype. Different instinctual stacking.

I'd say I'm more prone to obsession than addiction. Something will utterly absorb me for a time and then it won't anymore.

I have some hedonistic tendencies, though.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I would be more inclined to agree with Rex here; though my tritype is different to hers. I am very prone to obsessions, perhaps a better word in my case would be idealisation, because it usually manifests itself through an overwhelming sense of connection to another person. My emotions conjure a vision of them which is fantastical, unreal. This can obviously become destructive if you have high expectations, don't give each other enough space and keep feeding off each other emotionally.

I guess women (especially sharing emotions with women, "merging") are my drug of choice. Like a high it feels amazing until it's over.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My tritype is very close to yours, but like [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] I'm more prone to obsession than actual addiction. I like to indulge in drugs but never has it crossed into abuse - not because I'm worried about my health, but because I see no need for it. I'm self-preservation secondary and self-preservation is about needs.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm... I do indulge in food when I am feeling frustrated with everything and just sapped of all energy. And if I break any of my healthy habits, I'm like, "Oops I already fucked up, might as well fuck myself up even more." This has led me to behaviour such as eating an entire bag of peach gummy rings in one day (not good, nope ; - ; ) and using oxy everday for weeks until it was finished completely... though strangely I haven't ever gotten addicted to anything yet. It's an "All-Or-Nothing" thing for me when it comes to pleasures.

edit: though I do drink coffee everyday (I'm having another cup right now ^-^)without considering the possible havoc it may be causing on my body... well if I noticed it I would do something about it, but the effects may be so gradual and slight that I never bothered to think about not having coffee. I could be slightly addicted, but only because it happens to be present. I never go out of my way for pleasure, I just let it happen when it's possible.

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION] - excellent breakdown; many thanks. that's been p much my thinking also. it's - yea - idk to how 2 put it bt - tritype-wise it feel like a p damn- volatile combination?? idk.. n then w/shadow Se getting all up in the house.... y e a ...

[MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] [MENTION=24829]Corn Dispenser[/MENTION] - oh, im prone to obsession as well, lmao, absolutely, i literally dnt know how ppl Do Life w/o being obsessed w/sth/someone, it's jst that - that isn't - yknow. potentially fatal lmao [whereas substance abuse......yea]

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- this is mb a bit of a self-indulgently personal post, im not sure? bt ah well-

-SOOOOO im [infj] 4-7-8 sx/so aaaand substance abuse/addiction (-alcoholism) has been a massive problem for me for several years now (-am aiming to get completely sober bt. not quite there yet, slip-ups/lapses etc)

& ofc the - excellent - ocean-moonshine 4 sx/so description mentions that substance abuse may be a problem bt- idk - i am thinking my tritype is like - also at play here? does anyone have any thoughts on this? (-ofc i am not attempting to "explain" this issue solely in terms of personality matrices or anything, am thoroughly aware of the other factors at play in my situation [incl. issues of neurodivergence, etc], bt am jst interested in how it might be framed in these terms)

Regardless of tritype, I think it is great that you can be honest about this and the fact that you are seeking to understand it is a solid step in the right direction. :)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
[MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION] - excellent breakdown; many thanks. that's been p much my thinking also. it's - yea - idk to how 2 put it bt - tritype-wise it feel like a p damn- volatile combination?? idk.. n then w/shadow Se getting all up in the house.... y e a ...

Honestly ? English is not my first language and therefore I don't have concrete idea what you were trying say with this.