123 Last

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Default What does it really mean to be a 2?

I was scrolling through PerC the other day and came across someone saying that 2's aren't very interested in deep thinking or intellectual pursuits. Type 2's seem to be stereotyped as vapid airheads who have no sense of self and only want to gossip, or meddlesome busybodies who only live to please.

Perhaps it is because of these stereotypes that I never considered myself to be a 2 until just recently, and even now they make me wonder.

Have any of you 2's ever mistyped as 4's because of stereotypes? How do you break the 2 stereotype?

Lots of typological questions from fetus tonight.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

I would guess that ~80% of the typology discussion at PerC are nothing more than uninspired, self-fluffing bullshit.
    The descriptions are tools to help with perceiving the essence. The stereotypes are possible ways the motivations can manifest but are inherently limited in scope.

From here: Socionics - the16types.info - Explanation of Enneagram Triads

TL;DR: Both 2s and 4s feel unvalued for who they are. 2s fill the hole by doing good by others with the expectation that it will be returned. Problems arise when their efforts aren't acknowledged or appreciated. They will internalize it and see themselves as unacknowledged and unappreciated. 4s fill the hole through resignation that they cannot be what is asked of them, only what they actually are. So they overcompensate for the "worthless authentic self" by overvaluing certain, more personally acceptable, aspects of the self. Core problem being that "who they are" isn't always enough to survive.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

One 5:30 AM thought for you, Fetus.

I remember one of the first times I remember seeing you on this forum, you said something along the lines of "I'm not a take charge person, the only time I take charge is when I'm offering words of inspiration for other people." Just something you might want to take a second look at.
    Last edited by Chanaynay; 12-13-2015 at 07:27 PM.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Starry, themightyfetus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    I thought what you wrote in your blog was simply beautiful mightyfetus (although I would have had the individual gazing up into a starry as opposed to "starless" sky myself but...you know...whatever. it's beautiful with a "Catcher in the Rye" feel to it which I automatically love.)

I'm feeling a push to contribute something here that may be of some benefit to you...I never know...but it comes with a confession that I am of the opinion you are mistyped...

I talk a lot about the Positive Outlook Harmonic - enneagram 2, 7 and 9...being a member of this highly intelligent and breathtakingly sexually attractive group of people myself. And if I ruled the world I would require by law dictator-style suggest you list e2 under your user name.

I'm so tired. We've been having terrible wind storms where I live that are accompanied by public service announcements to protect yourself from falling trees by sleeping... or not...on the ground floor. Finding this thread kinda makes all of the aforementioned okay to me now. So okay that I'm going to do an add-on... and perhaps by next year's storm season...

If I ruled the world I would also very attractively and benevolently suggest you list SFJ under your name as well.

Enneagram
    N/A

enneagram 2s are great!!
    They can be a lot of fun in an emotional kind of way.
    You are so arbitrary.
    Likes themightyfetus liked this post

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    One 5:30 AM thought for you, Fetus.

I remember one of the first times I remember seeing you on this forum, you said something along the lines of "I'm not a take charge person, the only time I take charge is when I'm offering words of inspiration for other people." Just something you might want to take a second look at.
    Oh yeah, I think I remember saying that. I have made it my life dream to be spread radical hope to the world. For me, a word of inspiration is not a kind compliment--it is something that sinks into someone else's soul and makes them think, something that changes their life for eternity. That is what I want. I want to shake someone to their core until they see the world in a new light.

Thank you for reminding me of this quote of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    I'm so tired. We've been having terrible wind storms where I live that are accompanied by public service announcements to protect yourself from falling trees by sleeping... or not...on the ground floor. Finding this thread kinda makes all of the aforementioned okay to me now. So okay that I'm going to do an add-on... and perhaps by next year's storm season...

If I ruled the world I would also very attractively and benevolently suggest you list SFJ under your name as well.
    I can see definitely see myself being a 2 (which might mistake me for Fe), but of all things I know of type theory, I cannot see myself as a Fe type at all, for a substantial amount of reasons that I cannot all go into right now. I plan to write it out them all out on my blog later, if you'd like to stop by there. Anyways, it is apparent in my daily life. I fully recognize, however, that there I have inadvertently created an image of myself on this forum that I fear isn't accurate of my true personality.

As for @Sinclair, that is a very thorough description. I appreciate the time you took to find and explain all that information.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1
    Likes xXMariahXx liked this post

Enneagram
    N/A

@themightyfetus,

I remember calling you a 6 earlier (so I am sorry if that was wrong for you!! It's good that you're exploring other types to find what fits you best!!).

--it is something that sinks into someone else's soul and makes them think, something that changes their life for eternity. That is what I want. I want to shake someone to their core until they see the world in a new light.

I do not know your MBTI type, but just looking at this statement above would SUGGEST that someone isn't an Fi-dom, because it's rare for an INFP/ISFP to have such goals; to "shake" people as their philosophical goal in life
    I can see this being something an ENFP would say, maybe. Other actual ENFPs should weigh in on this since I consider myself to be an xxFJ.
    But at the end of the day, this is something an extrovert would say, at the least.
    You are so arbitrary.
    Likes themightyfetus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by themightyfetus View Post
    I can see definitely see myself being a 2 (which might mistake me for Fe), but of all things I know of type theory, I cannot see myself as a Fe type at all, for a substantial amount of reasons that I cannot all go into right now. I plan to write it out them all out on my blog later, if you'd like to stop by there. Anyways, it is apparent in my daily life. I fully recognize, however, that there I have inadvertently created an image of myself on this forum that I fear isn't accurate of my true personality.

There's so much I could say here... but it would be even more overwhelming to you than I imagine the suggestion of SFJ was in the first place.

If you use the old quote by me that I attached above you can go and read how you responded to my suggestion of e2 for you all those months ago. Back then you were positive you were not a 2...there was just no way... and look where we are now!!! Experience has taught me to be hopeful. I'm going to stand and wait regarding SFJ for a little while longer...just to see.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by themightyfetus View Post
    Oh yeah, I think I remember saying that. I have made it my life dream to be spread radical hope to the world. For me, a word of inspiration is not a kind compliment--it is something that sinks into someone else's soul and makes them think, something that changes their life for eternity. That is what I want. I want to shake someone to their core until they see the world in a new light.

Thank you for reminding me of this quote of mine.
    Actually I wasn't saying words of inspiration were some kind of flattery on your part - I get exactly what you're saying. I think the fact that you enjoy uplifting people so much, having such a big positive impact on other people - I think that's what E2 is all about. While external affirmation for E2s is crucial (and I think you understand that it's important to you as well after going through what you have been going through) I think what's most important is to feel you're living a life that makes you worthy of receiving love. It's kind of from the influence from E1 wanting to be a good person, but I also think it's why E2 is almost exclusively an F type. You're living your life in accordance with your value system because your values keep you in touch with what is the "right" thing to do. I think I had trouble seeing you as an ENFP (or ESFP which you also tested as apparently) because you seem so values before perception, so I always saw you as F-dominant above all else. You're someone I'd describe as sensible, gentle, caring, and very aware of how to treat others. Conversely, young ExxPs can have a tendency to put their foot in their mouth because they're running so much on Pe that it's harder to know when to stop.

IRT @thoughtlost, I don't see "shaking" people as one of my philosophical goals. I do see where you're coming from with the introvert/extrovert thing though, although actually I can see it being E2-related as well. If I had to choose one "philosophical goal" it'd be a little nihilistic in the sense that at the end of the day it all comes back to my myself. I live for my own experience, which I think could be a little bit why @MDP2525 (I think?) said 7s are probably the most openly narcissistic type. My career goal is to become a sex therapist, and while helping others and lifting them up is a valuable benefit I think what I ultimately enjoy the most about therapy is that I get to learn about so many different people. Normally you see so many people in a crowd and realize how intrinsically unique and complex all their lives are but you'll never be able to truly know; therapy to me is like one way of getting to crack those people open. OTOH I think 2s emphasize much more how their actions impact other people.

Also just mentioning @Starry to say that ily

Edit: I'm browsing through the empathy thread Starry quoted from right now...and it's funny that @senza tema posted the definition of sonder...which is exactly what I was talking about. Even though it's not related to the thread at hand and it's more related to my rambling oops. But haha we've come full circle!

Also I'm a whoring out the mentions feature today.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Starry liked this post

Enneagram
    N/A

IRT @thoughtlost, I don't see "shaking" people as one of my philosophical goals. I do see where you're coming from with the introvert/extrovert thing though, although actually I can see it being E2-related as well. If I had to choose one "philosophical goal" it'd be a little nihilistic in the sense that at the end of the day it all comes back to my myself. I live for my own experience, which I think could be a little bit why @MDP2525 (I think?) said 7s are probably the most openly narcissistic type. My career goal is to become a sex therapist, and while helping others and lifting them up is a valuable benefit I think what I ultimately enjoy the most about therapy is that I get to learn about so many different people. Normally you see so many people in a crowd and realize how intrinsically unique and complex all their lives are but you'll never be able to truly know; therapy to me is like one way of getting to crack those people open. OTOH I think 2s emphasize much more how their actions impact other people
    okay thank you, @Chanaynay I really didn't know if what she said related to ENFP or not; I kind of made that up on the spot, so I am glad I got your input.

Yeah, I agree with you that personal philosophies tie into the enneagram. It's as you say; E2's focus on being someone who is worthy of love. So an E7 wouldn't necessarily focus on acheiving loveability like an E2 ...but would focus more on the enjoyment of being loved or receiving love. For E7s it's about the experience whereas for E2s being loved is the goal. So I think the various MTBI types would acheive being loved in different ways, and it's most likely to be a E2 feeler (dom/aux) who would focus on achieving love.

Actually, I know a few type 2s in my life. They definitely want to be something "positive" for other people, whether it's going shopping with them to buy Christmas lights for their dorm, planning an easter egg hunt, or just simply keeping in touch and reminding me that they are there for me and want to support me in whatever way they can. They are always looking for ways to be active in other people's lives. "shaking" is just one other way an E2 can get people to notice and love them... that's sounded so funny...
    You are so arbitrary.