• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Under what circumstances do you feel most influenced by your wing(s)?

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I haven't heard much about this. I've just read that one wing tends to dominate in early life and that the other starts to take hold as you get older. It seems like I've also read that people tend to feel most influenced by their wings when under stress. Is this true to your experiences?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not true that you feel the most of the influence under stress. Under stress you should feel the influence of your disintegration type, which in the case of 5 is 8 and in the case of 6 it's 3.

Wings usually have the influence over most of your life and most of the time, along with your core type.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Under stress you should feel the influence of your disintegration type, which in the case of 5 is 8 and in the case of 6 it's 3.

I know -- except 5s go to 7, not 8 -- but I'm just wondering if there might be additional patterns of disintegration that are lesser known. if that makes sense. I know a 5w4 who told me once that she felt particularly influenced by 4 when unhealthy, but then again, who doesn't.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
from Uranio Paes' guest post on Beatrice Chestnut's blog:

As many people have observed, it is common to access one wing more than the other wing. But contrary to the idea that this wing represents a static list of personality traits that colors the core point, my sense is that this tendency reflects the fact that we often have access to one wing more than the other. However, it is important to understand that this reflects a kind of dysfunction or imbalance, which can be consciously worked with to support growth.

It may be, for example, that a person with the core type of point Eight has more access to point Seven (the Eight’s forewing) and point Two (the point connected against the arrow). For this person, it becomes important to train herself to access (more consciously) the wing point of Nine and the arrow line point of Five. For another Type Eight person, the situation may be reversed – this person may have more ready access to types Nine and Five and so this person may more usefully adopt the intention of consciously manifesting the positive qualities of Type Seven and Two. That is, some of these points may be especially important for us learn to access with awareness, depending on our history, our current situation, and what our challenge of the moment is in life.

Moreover, in my view, the most promising movement to be invoked in the wider work of personal growth follows a certain specific order. In the case of wings, I believe we all must first access the forewing (the wing just before our core point), then the posterior wing (the wing just after our point). In the example of type Nine, this would imply that a person should seek to consciously access point Eight first, as her initial growth task, and then access point One, after work has been done to integrate point Eight.