• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Are many nines INTP or INTJ?

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I usually score INTP or INTJ on MBTI tests of various soundness. There are other results I get are less frequent (ISTP or INFJ). I am a nine of tri-type 9-5-4. I wonder if many "thinking" types score as nines?

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTPs, can totally see it. They're a pretty phlegmatic type overall.

INTJs.. [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] can give you some insight.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
9 occurs in every type (probably with varying frequency)

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an INTJ 9, but not many INTJs are. It's more likely for INTPs, but not by much: INTPs and Ti doms gravitate very strongly to being Type 5 Enneagram, perhaps the closest correlation between MBTI and Enneagram among all the various types. INTJs tend to be type 5, type 1, type 8 and type 6. The other types are rather rare.

The type 1 and type 8 INTJs will appear to be very "Te" or "TJ", being rather judgmental and confrontational. Type 6 INTJs will tend to be more "nice", but they don't give their trust easily. Type 5 INTJs are easily mistaken for INTPs, and vice-versa, as their personalities and reactive tendencies are very similar, even though their cognitive approaches differ.

I don't personally know of any type 2 or type 3 INTJs (though type 3 will be a common "fix" in an INTJ tritype). There are definitely some type 4 INTJs who are more emotionally introspective than the usual INTJ. I'm unaware of any type 7 INTJs, though I don't deny the possibility - type 7s tend to be very extroverted by nature, and extroverted perceivers by type, and that just doesn't fit the INTJ paradigm very well.

Type 9 INTJs will appear to be more in touch with their tertiary (Fi) and inferior (Se) than most INTJs (kind of like the type 4 INTJs). Like types 5 and 4, type 9 is a "withdrawn" type, naturally suitable to the introverted INTJ. The part that doesn't seem to mesh, at first glance, is that the 9 descriptions tend to be very "feely". All the Enneagram types are rather "emotional" in nature, but the type 9 is an archetype of gentle, peaceful emotions.

How could this jibe with being an INTJ? Simple: INTJs and Ni doms in general don't enjoy having turbulent thoughts and emotions in their heads. It stops them from thinking, and the natural state of the INTJ is to "think too much". ;) Being type 9 means knowing how to stay calm enough to think clearly all the time.

The danger is that type 9s generally stay that calm by completely ignoring their anger, so their anger can pop up unpredictably. Most of the time, however, they are calm and level-headed. Egging them into a fight will usually fail. A type 9 INTJ generally doesn't enjoy getting into long drawn out arguments where no one is listening to anyone else. They'll seem to be a bit more harsh than the usual 9, because for those matters that relate to their primary mode of understanding things (Ni and Te), they'll state harsh truths that have a risk of disturbing others' peace of mind, and they'll stand up for what they know to be true in this regard. In more personal/emotional matters, however, they are very gentle and accommodating - almost too much so ... allowing loved ones to get away with emotional abuse that others simply wouldn't endure. I've seen this born out in some (half-assed) statistics about which types were more commonly married than the average would indicate, and type 9s tend to put up with type 8's forcefulness and type 4's emotional dramatics more than other types do.

Want to know whether an INTJ is a 9? He/she is the INTJ who always appears to be calm, and no matter how much you try to troll 'em, they rarely take the bait. And when they do, they stay gentle and calm, even as they systematically come up with counterarguments to the troll.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know quite a few INTP 9s. It's a pretty common combo. (Also I like them a lot. :) ) As uumlau stated above, INTJ 9s are rare, but not unheard of, like an INTJ 2 or 4 would be.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how might the core fears of this type manifest differently in INTP (and INTJ) than a 5 or 6?

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTJ 9's

I'm an INTJ 9, but not many INTJs are. It's more likely for INTPs, but not by much: INTPs and Ti doms gravitate very strongly to being Type 5 Enneagram, perhaps the closest correlation between MBTI and Enneagram among all the various types. INTJs tend to be type 5, type 1, type 8 and type 6. The other types are rather rare.

The type 1 and type 8 INTJs will appear to be very "Te" or "TJ", being rather judgmental and confrontational. Type 6 INTJs will tend to be more "nice", but they don't give their trust easily. Type 5 INTJs are easily mistaken for INTPs, and vice-versa, as their personalities and reactive tendencies are very similar, even though their cognitive approaches differ.

I don't personally know of any type 2 or type 3 INTJs (though type 3 will be a common "fix" in an INTJ tritype). There are definitely some type 4 INTJs who are more emotionally introspective than the usual INTJ. I'm unaware of any type 7 INTJs, though I don't deny the possibility - type 7s tend to be very extroverted by nature, and extroverted perceivers by type, and that just doesn't fit the INTJ paradigm very well.

Type 9 INTJs will appear to be more in touch with their tertiary (Fi) and inferior (Se) than most INTJs (kind of like the type 4 INTJs). Like types 5 and 4, type 9 is a "withdrawn" type, naturally suitable to the introverted INTJ. The part that doesn't seem to mesh, at first glance, is that the 9 descriptions tend to be very "feely". All the Enneagram types are rather "emotional" in nature, but the type 9 is an archetype of gentle, peaceful emotions.

How could this jibe with being an INTJ? Simple: INTJs and Ni doms in general don't enjoy having turbulent thoughts and emotions in their heads. It stops them from thinking, and the natural state of the INTJ is to "think too much". ;) Being type 9 means knowing how to stay calm enough to think clearly all the time.

The danger is that type 9s generally stay that calm by completely ignoring their anger, so their anger can pop up unpredictably. Most of the time, however, they are calm and level-headed. Egging them into a fight will usually fail. A type 9 INTJ generally doesn't enjoy getting into long drawn out arguments where no one is listening to anyone else. They'll seem to be a bit more harsh than the usual 9, because for those matters that relate to their primary mode of understanding things (Ni and Te), they'll state harsh truths that have a risk of disturbing others' peace of mind, and they'll stand up for what they know to be true in this regard. In more personal/emotional matters, however, they are very gentle and accommodating - almost too much so ... allowing loved ones to get away with emotional abuse that others simply wouldn't endure. I've seen this born out in some (half-assed) statistics about which types were more commonly married than the average would indicate, and type 9s tend to put up with type 8's forcefulness and type 4's emotional dramatics more than other types do.

Want to know whether an INTJ is a 9? He/she is the INTJ who always appears to be calm, and no matter how much you try to troll 'em, they rarely take the bait. And when they do, they stay gentle and calm, even as they systematically come up with counterarguments to the troll.

This may describe me more than INTP 9. Very comprehensive without being too long. A core fear may be tempers of the nine and those around him exploding and ruining everything. The feeling that tranquillity is better than the alternative///////////////chaos!!!(and decay)

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
how might the core fears of this type manifest differently in INTP (and INTJ) than a 5 or 6?

The core fears of an INTJ or INTP 9 may be due to a latent sociabilty compared to a 5 or 5w6. Some 6's I know can tend to anger or shaking things up, and 9's like peaceableness and avoid conflicts. Fear and negative emotion aren't good for peace of mind.