User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Why is this book so highly recommended?

Regarding Enneagram books, I have seen many people strongly suggest Wisdom of the Enneagram by Riso-Hudson. I have three of their other books: Personality Types, Understanding the Enneagram, and Discovering Your Personality Type. I realize that many criticize some of the type descriptions that RH have written, especially in Personality Types. I wonder... what is so good about "Wisdom"? Are the descriptions revised/better than previous? Why is it so good? Or since I have the other three, should I even bother with it?

I have other questions, but I shall leave it at that for now and for those who have read this book, I greatly look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.
    9w1 sx/so
    ENFP; IEE-Ne

Discordians are forged in the fires of mental instability and militant-subjectivism.
    Alcohol seems to help too.
    Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaidyn View Post
    Regarding Enneagram books, I have seen many people strongly suggest Wisdom of the Enneagram by Riso-Hudson. I have three of their other books: Personality Types, Understanding the Enneagram, and Discovering Your Personality Type. I realize that many criticize some of the type descriptions that RH have written, especially in Personality Types. I wonder... what is so good about "Wisdom"? Are the descriptions revised/better than previous? Why is it so good? Or since I have the other three, should I even bother with it?

I have other questions, but I shall leave it at that for now and for those who have read this book, I greatly look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.
    I would say that it is a really good introductory book. I reviewed it in this post here

The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Riso and Hudson)

There is a new book I got called The Complete Enneagram - 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge written by Beatrice Chestnut

It has the best detailed descriptions for each of the types that I have seen.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I would say that it is a really good introductory book. I reviewed it in this post here

The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Riso and Hudson)

There is a new book I got called The Complete Enneagram - 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge written by Beatrice Chestnut

It has the best detailed descriptions for each of the types that I have seen.
    Thank you for that link with your review. That helps a bit. I agree with your comment about the book by Beatrice Chestnut. It is actually one I bought recently and am loving it.
    I honestly prefer it over the Riso-Hudson books. I was just studying R&H titles so I could have a good amount of info.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Thank you for that link with your review. That helps a bit. I agree with your comment about the book by Beatrice Chestnut. It is actually one I bought recently and am loving it.
    I honestly prefer it over the Riso-Hudson books. I was just studying R&H titles so I could have a good amount of info.
    You should review Chestnut's book in the book reviews subforum!

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Jaidyn liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    You should review Chestnut's book in the book reviews subforum!
    I actually shall do that. It may take me a couple days at least, but that is a fantastic idea. :-) Thank you for the suggestion as I love to do book reviews.
    9w1 sx/so
    ENFP; IEE-Ne

Discordians are forged in the fires of mental instability and militant-subjectivism.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I find that RH are ok but they don't offer anything new or substantial to the table and some descriptions are just really really bad, especially how they correlate certain behaviors with the types but never actually truly delve into the underlying type structure.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
    I find that RH are ok but they don't offer anything new or substantial to the table and some descriptions are just really really bad, especially how they correlate certain behaviors with the types but never actually truly delve into the underlying type structure.
    That is pretty close to the conclusion I have come to as well... not that I know enough about the enneagram to conclude the descriptions are bad on my own. All the reading I have done in various places online have been almost unanimous in regards to at least 2 or three of RH's descriptions as just terrible. And there has yet to be any dissent as to which are the bad ones. As such, while I DO plan to read Wisdom of the Enneagram, I just am not really "into" the ennagram system as put forward by them.
    9w1 sx/so
    ENFP; IEE-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

That is pretty close to the conclusion I have come to as well... not that I know enough about the enneagram to conclude the descriptions are bad on my own. All the reading I have done in various places online have been almost unanimous in regards to at least 2 or three of RH's descriptions as just terrible. And there has yet to be any dissent as to which are the bad ones. As such, while I DO plan to read Wisdom of the Enneagram, I just am not really "into" the ennagram system as put forward by them.
    I'm confused though, because if you don't possess the knowledge to know why they are bad, how can you simply trust other people's opinions on the matter?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
    I'm confused though, because if you don't possess the knowledge to know why they are bad, how can you simply trust other people's opinions on the matter?
    I see your point and realize what I said was muddled and not as clear as what I was intending. I am not trusting others opinions completely, hence why I have bothered to purchase and read the 3 R&H books I have, and why I have purchased and plan to read the Wisdom book by them as well. I have finished the Beatrice Chestnut book, and I am still working through Character and Neurosis. Simply based on what I have actually read by said authors up to this point, I resonate better with the writings of Chestnut and Naranjo (that is as clear as I can make that unfortunately... completely a gut feeling I admit). I am not "certain" that they are 100% correct and I don't think there really is a complete right/wrong understanding when comparing these various authors. That being said, I need to start my understanding somewhere.
    As for the information I have seen online, and based on the opinions of people more knowledgeable than myself and with more experience with the enneagram, I have found that the writings and understanding of Chestnut/Naranjo seem to mesh with my gut feeling.
    That being said, I am not writing off R&H at all, I still refer to their books when talking to my friends/family about enneagram and I do actually enjoy them. In fact of the 3 books I have by R&H, currently my favorite is Understanding the Enneagram. I enjoy how it appear to go over a bit more territory about each core type (although it leaves of info about the wings) and it has a nice chapter on "Misidentifcations" that is really good.

Edit: As for the type descriptions that are supposedly "bad", I am NOT saying that I "know" they are badly done. I merely keep it in mind and notice how many people seem to agree on that point. I do not just dismiss or ignore those type descriptions since there are people who feel those types easily fit them quite well. That would be foolish of me to do. It is just something I keep in mind when reading.
    9w1 sx/so
    ENFP; IEE-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I see your point and realize what I said was muddled and not as clear as what I was intending. I am not trusting others opinions completely, hence why I have bothered to purchase and read the 3 R&H books I have, and why I have purchased and plan to read the Wisdom book by them as well. I have finished the Beatrice Chestnut book, and I am still working through Character and Neurosis. Simply based on what I have actually read by said authors up to this point, I resonate better with the writings of Chestnut and Naranjo (that is as clear as I can make that unfortunately... completely a gut feeling I admit). I am not "certain" that they are 100% correct and I don't think there really is a complete right/wrong understanding when comparing these various authors. That being said, I need to start my understanding somewhere.
    As for the information I have seen online, and based on the opinions of people more knowledgeable than myself and with more experience with the enneagram, I have found that the writings and understanding of Chestnut/Naranjo seem to mesh with my gut feeling.
    That being said, I am not writing off R&H at all, I still refer to their books when talking to my friends/family about enneagram and I do actually enjoy them. In fact of the 3 books I have by R&H, currently my favorite is Understanding the Enneagram. I enjoy how it appear to go over a bit more territory about each core type (although it leaves of info about the wings) and it has a nice chapter on "Misidentifcations" that is really good.

Edit: As for the type descriptions that are supposedly "bad", I am NOT saying that I "know" they are badly done. I merely keep it in mind and notice how many people seem to agree on that point. I do not just dismiss or ignore those type descriptions since there are people who feel those types easily fit them quite well. That would be foolish of me to do. It is just something I keep in mind when reading.
    All right, that makes more sense. Personally I prefer Sandra Maitri. I can send you copies if you want.