• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Type 8

violett

My father is an enneagram type 7w8. At times his wing influence is so strong he could be mistyped as an 8. Ime, with type 8's and those with a strong 8 wing, there is a over-riding sense of Honor in all that they do. They are open, honest and direct in their dealings with people. You always know what is on their minds and where they stand on any given issue. Also, you never wonder where you stand in relation to them. If there is something they don't like they tell you straight air it out and then seek resolution. Since 8's have a line to type 2, they are often generous with their time and energy and have a large circle of freinds (and sometimes have difficulty saying no, especially when it comes to their own children). They aren't known to hide and make petty swipes. They are very much "what you see is what you get". They also generally aren't known to attack or bully (that's the domain of CP6's). They also tend to engage in open dialogue and encourage open discussion because they value truth and honesty. Also, if they sense any kind of underlying issue which needs to be addressed they will bring it out into the open and confront head on. Also, They aren't petty, nit-picky, or critical people.

Just wanted to share :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
there is a over-riding sense of Honor in all that they do. They are open, honest and direct in their dealings with people. You always know what is on their minds and where they stand on any given issue.

Honor absolutely. The last sentence is actually a great source of frustration for me as well.. I'm human. There are times I naturally do NOT want to say what's on my mind for any number of reasons.. or I want to say what's on my mind and cannot. Either way, it feels like I'm being pigeon-holed (by my own self or others respectively) and cowardly and everything else even if the situation calls for it.

I'll take everything you said though. ;) I needed a confidence boost just about now.

violett

Honor absolutely. The last sentence is actually a great source of frustration for me as well.. I'm human. There are times I naturally do NOT want to say what's on my mind for any number of reasons.. or I want to say what's on my mind and cannot. Either way, it feels like I'm being pigeon-holed (by my own self or others respectively) and cowardly and everything else even if the situation calls for it.

I'll take everything you said though. ;) I needed a confidence boost just about now.

Well, certain things are best kept to yourself especially if you are taking others feelings into consideration or not prepared to deal with the fallout of what is on your mind. I understand your dislike of feeling cowardly have definitely seen it in my father. He feels like he has to reel himself in to avoid stepping on peoples toes. I'm glad reading my thoughts on type 8's gave you a confidence boost. I think because 2's and 8's share a common line on the enneagram there's somewhat of an unspoken recognition, mutual respect, and understanding. At least that's been my experience with my father. I have always been able to turn to him for understanding and support no matter how difficult my life has been. In recent conversation, he mentioned feeling the same way. We have pretty much always had a decent relationship.

Thank you for replying :)

Starry

My father is an enneagram type 7w8. At times his wing influence is so strong he could be mistyped as an 8.

They also generally aren't known to attack or bully (that's the domain of CP6's).

They also tend to engage in open dialogue and encourage open discussion because they value truth and honesty. Also, if they sense any kind of underlying issue which needs to be addressed they will bring it out into the open and confront head on. Also, They aren't petty, nit-picky, or critical people.

I love your post violett. Having read kyuuei's stuff for quite a few years now I know she fits your definition of 8 to a tee. There's another member as well. Since the day she first came here I have been convinced she is an 8 and yet I doubt she has ever even considered my typing due to 8's less than honorable reputation. And so yah...

900x900px-LL-732a52cb_TheMoreYouKnow.gif

My concern though is merely that it be quite clear this is your opinion...your experience correct? That statement about counterphobia concerns me more than anything really. Reading this you would think...if the individual is a total bastard 8 is out of the question or something along those lines and that is just not true. Unhealthy 8s and 6cp can both be bastards. (all e-types can be total bastards but 8 and 6cp often present in the classic 'bullying' type way when especially unhealthy.)

Cygnus

8 is pretty much the robot of the Enneagram. 8 anger literally feels like a solid wall moving towards you. If an 8 is on your tail, he won't make you feel scared, he'll just coerce you into complying in the quickest, most pragmatic way possible.

If someone's mistyped as an 8, they're probably a 3. 3 anger is much more personal, much less predictable, and much less scary. 3s will periodically release their anger in eruptions, and they'll only stop if you either 1) tell them what they want to hear, or 2) get them so angry that they disgrace themselves and soil their own image in front of their loyalest followers, forcing them to retreat and rebuild their damaged facade.

3 has no tolerance for lack of ambition. They're naturally proactive and they want you to be proactive. When they "explode," they often attribute their anger to other people falling short of their visions.

8 values constancy and productivity. If an 8 is your boss and you don't fulfill one of their commands, they get "mad" at you to force you to obey -- the anger is very mechanical and impersonal. If you're doing everything they say and following the rules, they'll completely leave you alone and possibly ignore you. 8 does not expect you to go above and beyond, only to meet your quota.

8 doesn't have a sense of honor in the same way 3 does. 3 drastically regulates its behavior to appear socially acceptable. 8 abides by the laws of external structures and systems -- if you had seemingly unlimited power, the fastest way to graduate upwards to authority is by joining the authority.

One weird thing I noticed about 8s is that they look very good in a photograph. They have a very pleasant smile, almost looking better than other types.

A 3 in a photograph will often look either very over-the-top, or very calculated in his appearance.

8 has no desire for fame, recognition, or the spotlight. They only want to be able to keep doing what they've been doing, and if you're incompetence is hindering them specifically, they'll target you. They'll shoot you down quickly and cleanly, and you'll probably forget it happened.

3's fundamental desire is to be presentable. Often, this means fame and recognition. Other times, it means keeping quiet like a good citizen should do.

8s tend to have more variety in their friendships. If you know an 8 who isn't in a position of authority over you, you're a half-decent person, and you're not causing any particular social trouble, an 8 may casually befriend you. They'll show affection when it's appropriate, but they're the most likely to spend more time on their work and less with other people.

3s may often behave very aristocratically and reject certain people who fall outside of their class and/or criteria for what's appropriate. 8's criteria is a bit more lenient and focuses considerably less on appearance, but all on the "function" of the person and how they behave in the social "system."

violett

I love your post violett. Having read kyuuei's stuff for quite a few years now I know she fits your definition of 8 to a tee. There's another member as well. Since the day she first came here I have been convinced she is an 8 and yet I doubt she has ever even considered my typing due to 8's less than honorable reputation. And so yah...

900x900px-LL-732a52cb_TheMoreYouKnow.gif

My concern though is merely that it be quite clear this is your opinion...your experience correct? That statement about counterphobia concerns me more than anything really. Reading this you would think...if the individual is a total bastard 8 is out of the question or something along those lines and that is just not true. Unhealthy 8s and 6cp can both be bastards. (all e-types can be total bastards but 8 and 6cp often present in the classic 'bullying' type way when especially unhealthy.)

It has been my experience, you are correct. And you make a good point, my bias is rooted in being on the recieving end of CP6 bullying, but not having been on the receiving end of 8 bullying. I understand just because I haven't personally experienced the bullying of an 8, doesn't mean they are not capable of it.

Starry

It has been my experience, you are correct. And you make a good point, my bias is rooted in being on the recieving end of CP6 bullying, but not having been on the receiving end of 8 bullying. I understand just because I haven't personally experienced the bullying of an 8, doesn't mean they are not capable of it.

I totally understand. And again, I think your description of the mindful 8 is one of the best I've read and I appreciate that.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some these things are a little off:

My father is an enneagram type 7w8. At times his wing influence is so strong he could be mistyped as an 8. Ime, with type 8's and those with a strong 8 wing, there is a over-riding sense of Honor in all that they do. They are open, honest and direct in their dealings with people. You always know what is on their minds and where they stand on any given issue. Also, you never wonder where you stand in relation to them. If there is something they don't like they tell you straight air it out and then seek resolution. Since 8's have a line to type 2, they are often generous with their time and energy and have a large circle of freinds (and sometimes have difficulty saying no, especially when it comes to their own children).

8s can be generous when they feel like it, but they can also become really stingy when they feel like it, due to the connection to 5. This is especially true when it comes to dealing with other people and giving them attention. I do second the stuff about honor though. I think honor is an overall important concept for most 8s, even if you do not consciously experience it as something that you value.

Also, a lot of 8s are quite isolated in how they lead their lives. They are contrary to having a large number of friends. Again, due to the connection to 5. I think you are confusing that with the more outgoing and boisterous attitude of type 7.

They aren't known to hide and make petty swipes.

Hide? No. 8s will make sure that you know what we think of you, but we can sure be petty.

They are very much "what you see is what you get".

Agreed.

They also generally aren't known to attack or bully (that's the domain of CP6's).

I have no idea what kind of picture you have of 6s and 8s here but, you are wrong. 8s can definitely be bullies. There's a reason the literature emphasizes the belligerent nature of type 8 and not in type 6.

They also tend to engage in open dialogue and encourage open discussion because they value truth and honesty.

Eh, not really. I think you need to read up more on the type. 8s value honesty and truth yes, but they also use the psychological mechanism of denial which means that they will deny other people their story of the truth whenever it suits the 8's fancy. Tom Condon uses the example of an 8 who made a waitress cry at a restaurant and denied any involvement in her crying, even though the 8's friend pointed out that it was his fault.

Also, if they sense any kind of underlying issue which needs to be addressed they will bring it out into the open and confront head on.

When it begins to bug them enough, yes.

Also, They aren't petty, nit-picky, or critical people.

Depends on what you mean with any of these things because I sure can be all of them just to get a fight going.

8 has no desire for fame, recognition, or the spotlight. They only want to be able to keep doing what they've been doing, and if you're incompetence is hindering them specifically, they'll target you. They'll shoot you down quickly and cleanly, and you'll probably forget it happened.
Don't have much else to add on the other points, they seem overall apt, but I do want to comment on this one because it's so accurate, LOL.

LonestarCowgirl

8 is pretty much the robot of the Enneagram. 8 anger literally feels like a solid wall moving towards you. If an 8 is on your tail, he won't make you feel scared, he'll just coerce you into complying in the quickest, most pragmatic way possible.

Bullshit. Bowing down to an unhealthy 8 feels more like kneeling at the chasm of hell and being hugged by a red blaze of hellish molten fury.

violett

I apppreciate your imput. I wrote about my personal experience with my father as a type 8, naturally not all 7w8's are going to be exactly like him. I understand, in an effort to maintain clarity I could have made sure to added disclaimers. Maybe from now on that's what I will do, I will be certain add an author's note at the end of any description I write about my personal experiences so that anyone who reads won't become confused about my intention, kind of like common sense warning labels used on the sides of packaging or directions which most people understand without being told, but inevitably someone will come along and say, but you didn't tell us we weren't supposed to ;)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bullshit. Bowing down to an unhealthy 8 feels more like kneeling at the chasm of hell and being hugged by a red blaze of hellish molten fury.

Not sure if you think the Hulk is exemplary of 8 anger or not, but he's not. He's a 9 and a good example of what happens when 9s finally get angry.

I apppreciate your imput. I wrote about my personal experience with my father as a type 8, naturally not all 7w8's are going to be exactly like him. I understand, in an effort to maintain clarity I could have made sure to added disclaimers. Maybe from now on that's what I will do, I will be certain add an author's note at the end of any description I write about my personal experiences so that anyone who reads won't become confused about my intention, kind of like common sense warning labels used on the sides of packaging or directions which most people understand without being told, but inevitably someone will come along and say, but you didn't tell us we weren't supposed to ;)

You said your father is type 8, but then you said he's type 7w8. Type 7w8 is very different from type 8. Did you intend for this thread to be more like a monologue? If so, here's a link to start a blog: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/forum98/

I suggest you carefully re-read my original post, Thank you.

Ok, tbh, I can't follow what you are trying to say either, and I reread that post of yours several times. It does seem that you first imply he's an 8, then he's a 7w8, which is obviously contradictory. There's a big difference between a wing an a core type. I'm w9, I got a lot of 9ish traits and mannerisms but I do not at all relate to the core issues of 9 and the 8 traits are definitely much more present than the w9 ones.

The stuff I addressed, it's not just because it applies to your dad, but the problem is that you assume the stuff that applies to your dad, as a 7w8 I should add, may not apply to 8s as a whole. That's the big problem. No one is trying to rack down on you for sharing personal experience, but the problem is that you present this experience as being defining or definite for type 8 as a whole (I am not saying that you are saying that it is, but you present it that way) when it's not and some of the stuff you write even goes very contrary to it e.g. 8s having a big friendship circle when the case is usually the other way around - a lot of 8s are very isolated because of their connection to 5, and may as a result look very 5ish due to their isolated lifestyles. The reasons 8s isolate themselves is different from the 5's, though.

LonestarCowgirl

I suggest you carefully re-read my original post, Thank you.
Your post doesn't make sense to me with regard to the enneatype 8. That doesn't change the fact that your dad sounds like a wonderful man.

The best book I've read on enneagram is called Everything Enneagram by Susan Reynolds. I tried to find the book review thread to post it here, but was unable to find it.

Edit: It doesn't look like a book review thread exists for it yet, so I'm going to create one and I'll send you a link. I think you would enjoy the book.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your post doesn't make sense to me with regard to the enneatype 8. That doesn't change the fact that your dad sounds like a wonderful man.

The best book I've read on enneagram is called Everything Enneagram by Susan Reynolds. I tried to find the book review thread to post it here, but was unable to find it.

Never heard of it. How is it like? I am trying to expand my enneagram literature. Almaas is next, probably, out of the more popular authors. Maitri is currently my favorite.

violett

Actually it looks as though the thread is becoming a pissing match regarding who knows more about type 8's. Which was not my intention at all.

LonestarCowgirl

Never heard of it. How is it like? I am trying to expand my enneagram literature. Almaas is next, probably, out of the more popular authors. Maitri is currently my favorite.
I haven't read Almaas. Let us know what you think after you read it. I started a thread with my book review for Susan Reynold's enneagram book. :)

Here's a link to it:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/typology-and-psychology-book-reviews/75383-enneagram-susan-reynolds.html#post2430596

Actually it looks as though the thread is becoming a pissing match regarding who knows more about type 8's. Which was not my intention at all.

Welcome to the internet. :tongue: :hug:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

No, I know it was not, but I'm an 8 and it took a lot of time until I could settle on the type and a major reason why I didn't is because people often have a fucked up idea of what an 8 is on the internet. Had been reading your post a little more than a year ago, I may still have hesitated to type as one since I couldn't relate to the information you felt were 8-ish about your dad.

violett

Actually I don't have time to argue with snot nosed brats who probably still havent figured their type out anyway.

Jaguar

I'm an 8 and it took a lot of time until I could settle on the type and a major reason why I didn't is because people often have a fucked up idea of what an 8 is on the internet. Had been reading your post a little more than a year ago, I may still have hesitated to type as one since I couldn't relate to the information you felt were 8-ish about your dad.

You also once claimed to be INTP and rambled on about the so-called differences in INTP and INTJ writing: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/the-nt-rationale/57803-intj-versus-intp-writing-styles.html. You also rambled on about being a 5: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneatypes/61948-consequences-identifying-mind.html, talking about a lack of the physical in the 5. Newsflash: The 8 is a physical type. (Some have even referred to the 8 as the most physical type of all.)

After all that, you're now claiming to be a type 8 and INTJ. Maybe you have a "fucked up idea" of what an 8 is. And for all I know, a "fucked up idea" of what an INTJ is. Food for thought.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You also once claimed to be INTP and rambled on about the so-called differences in INTP and INTJ writing: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/the-nt-rationale/57803-intj-versus-intp-writing-styles.html. You also rambled on about being a 5: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneatypes/61948-consequences-identifying-mind.html, talking about a lack of the physical in the 5. Newsflash: The 8 is a physical type. (Some have even referred to the 8 as the most physical type of all.)

After all that, you're now claiming to be a type 8 and INTJ. Maybe you have a "fucked up idea" of what an 8 is. And for all I know, a "fucked up idea" of what an INTJ is. Food for thought.

Lol, indeed I did as if that actually changes that I am self-aware now as opposed to what I were. As with most people it's a gradual process and there's no sin in mistyping.

When I claim that people have a fucked up idea about 8 on the Internet though, I mean just that. You trying to discredit me by digging up stuff from the past isn't doing anything more than being a character slander but doesn't actually at all address the claim that is being made. You aren't defending or providing evidence why the claim is wrong and incorrect and most importantly, I don't think you can. You can try though, except I got the sources and experiential understanding on my side, which is the problem with how people discuss the type on the Internet. It tends to fall back on reproducing the popular narrative but nothing else is being presented. The popular narrative is not the type but merely a surface level of it at best.

And newsflash: 8 is not a physical type in the direct sense of the word. Gut types deal with a sense of being in itself. This needn't be physical. In fact, all the types are physical because when one is unaware of one's type structure, one is identified with the bod, the material world and the physical aspect of the world. That's the core essential teaching of the enneagram.