• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Type 8

violett

Huh? Seems like you have quite a bit of ego investment hence the wall of words you just put up. I'm sorry if you haven't felt like I adequately addressed you, but I have better things to do with my time.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
passive-aggressive, aren't you? If you got an issue with how I approach the subject, take it with me directly

It's not just her. But don't get all butthurt when I say this, shock and awe: I have a problem with the way you approached the subject. The OP clearly stated this was a human experience. If you disagree, that's cool, but this is obviously NOT set up for a debate. She doesn't NEED to provide you with ANYTHING, "factual" or not. This is a discussion about the type 8 from a very particular non-8 looking in. Don't like it? Gtfo. Maybe if you were more inquisitive I could see all this, but you weren't, so I can't. Don't hit me up with a wall of text, I don't care how you feel about it anymore than your obvious callousness towards the OP, you wanted us to say it so here it is. Your responses are crude, and rude, and have nothing to do with the OP and fuel your personal ego. INTJ forum is full of responses like yours, they're more suited there.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not just her. But don't get all butthurt when I say this, shock and awe: I have a problem with the way you approached the subject. The OP clearly stated this was a human experience. If you disagree, that's cool, but this is obviously NOT set up for a debate. Maybe if you were more inquisitive I could see all this, but you weren't, so I can't. Don't hit me up with a wall of text, I don't care how you feel about it, you wanted us to say it so here it is.

No, I am not. I much more appreciate the sincerity. If someone disagrees with how I approach it, tell me. I approached it with a genuine interest to discuss and if someone gets all butthurt and I don't know why and they don't tell me and start accusing me of rude shit in the process of it, don't expect me to be understanding, either, because I won't. I am socially oblivious, I don't always get when I make faux pas because I read social situations in ways that make sense to me and care little about its intricacies and nuances, but I do not see what I did was anything "wrong" or "bad" or "out of order" of the nature of the thread. Personal experience is meant to be discussed, too, and can be discussed in relation to the theory.

Again, I don't see the point of the backstroking, personally.

Huh? Seems like you have quite a bit of ego investment hence the wall of words you just put up. I'm sorry if you haven't felt like I adequately addressed you, but I have better things to do with my time.

Yeah, wow, go on and bite the hands that feed you. I won't put the effort into trying to reach out again, that's for sure.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
No, I am not. I much more appreciate the sincerity. If someone disagrees with how I approach it, tell me. I approached it with a genuine interest to discuss and if someone gets all butthurt and I don't know why and they don't tell me and start accusing me of rude shit in the process of it, don't expect me to be understanding, either, because I won't. I am socially oblivious, I don't always get when I make faux pas because I read social situations in ways that make sense to me and care little about its intricacies and nuances, but I do not see what I did was anything "wrong" or "bad" or "out of order" of the nature of the thread. Personal experience is meant to be discussed, too, and can be discussed in relation to the theory.

Again, I don't see the point of the backstroking, personally.

Those intricacies are important. you're socializing.. Pay attention to them. That's like saying, "I like to solve murder crimes but I don't really like all the tiny details they don't make as much sense to me. I more like just looking at the crime scenes instead of all that history over the past few days stuff.." If someone's telling you you're rude... Then you're being rude man. You're the one that made the faux pas, it's not her job to enlighten you in a nice pleasant way. You made the mistake, you correct it.. then the other person will follow along. You bulldozed into this place with something unpleasant when clearly the atmosphere wasn't calling for that at all. Discussion is one thing.. you're straight up stomping mud all over the nice clean floors and asking why people are so mad.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those intricacies are important. you're socializing.. Pay attention to them. That's like saying, "I like to solve murder crimes but I don't really like all the tiny details they don't make as much sense to me. I more like just looking at the crime scenes instead of all that history over the past few days stuff.." If someone's telling you you're rude... Then you're being rude man. You're the one that made the faux pas, it's not her job to enlighten you in a nice pleasant way. You made the mistake, you correct it.. then the other person will follow along. You bulldozed into this place with something unpleasant when clearly the atmosphere wasn't calling for that at all. Discussion is one thing.. you're straight up stomping mud all over the nice clean floors and asking why people are so mad.

Yeah, and I thought I did that and she is still butthurt over it so no, fuck that. And no, I don't pay attention to atmosphere or whatever, ever. I don't notice it pretty much, so yolo.

violett

Why would I feel hurt? The truth is clean and speaks for itself with or without my involvement.

Starry

I definitely agree. Seeing things from the other side of the coin, I was like "Ohh man I've definitely heard things like this before from others..." it reminded me of the thread I got a little frustrated with once long ago where people were making type 8s out to be superheroes.. and I was disagreeing SO MUCH because I'm in the shoes, and I don't feel that way at all.. but when I look back now (ahh what a difference a year or two makes in one's perspective) I was completely invalidating their experience interacting with type 8s by assuming they were just idolizing them. I felt bad about it for a while.

Oh god I can't tell you how many times... I still do the above from time to time and when I do...don't always catch myself until after the fact (like there have been times I'll even believe I'm being open and attentive when I'm not wtf?). And then I'll think "wow that was a massive loss of an opportunity."

One of the things I was interested in discussing until folks started pulling insults out of thin air...one possibly involving a member that doesn't even have current access to the site in order to comment accordingly which always spells honor with a capital H am I right?... was this *thing* that has been of interest to me for a while.

And I believe this applies to you... But I've noticed that 8w7s that are making use of positive outlook/optimism as a life strategy via 7 can often times be indistinguishable from 7w8s. <--Or at least from the outside perspective...perhaps not as your personal internal experience idk. And it's this combination in my opinion that really gives the characteristics mentioned in the OP a more animated, embodied, idealistic, tangible quality in the 7w8 (strong 8 wing like Halla) or 8w7 in my opinion.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh god I can't tell you how many times... I still do the above from time to time and when I do...don't always catch myself until after the fact (like there have been times I'll even believe I'm being open and attentive when I'm not wtf?). And then I'll think "wow that was a massive loss of an opportunity."

One of the things I was interested in discussing until folks started pulling insults out of thin air...one possibly involving a member that doesn't even have current access to the site in order to comment accordingly which always spells honor with a capital H am I right?... was this *thing* that has been of interest to me for a while.

And I believe this applies to you... But I've noticed that 8w7s that are making use of positive outlook/optimism as a life strategy via 7 can often times be indistinguishable from 7w8s. <--Or at least from the outside perspective...perhaps not as your personal internal experience idk. And it's this combination in my opinion that really gives the characteristics mentioned in the OP to a more animated, embodied, idealistic, tangible quality to the 7w8 (strong 8 wing like Halla) or 8w7 in my opinion.

Actually that's an awesome thing to notice.. I really was, when I was younger, far more mechanical than I am now-a-days. Optimism as a coping strategy in life is a great one, and one I fully adopted. I've always been a fairly happy personality.. But high school was a lot of wasted opportunity because I never saw full potential in it all. It was a ghetto high school.. meh. Who cares. In the military, however, when straight mechanics didn't work, things were subjective, changing, and didn't make any sense at the time.. you have to find something to fall back on. The system doesn't work there. It's a whole new atmosphere. Like an alien planet. And that's where I got my optimism. It was new, and different, and it worked. I wasn't all depressed, and mopey like those other joes, and while the army beats anyone down after a while and I shared a good cry with a little lady on the staircases once, I said forget them, I'm doing my own thing and living in a dream world of everything being EXACTLY what I wanted. 3:30am fireguard? Perfect! I get an hour's sleep before working out! Running? Awesome, I need that skill! 15km ruck march and my shoulder has been on fire since km 2? Man am I a bad ass, I bet if I was a superhero I'd have a fire power and all my body would be on fire but it wouldn't hurt and it'd be awesome. It really was a coping mechanism... but I like it, and I think it's helped not just myself, but others around me.

I've held onto it ever since. My internal monologue is something more cynical, and goes something like this, "If you do this.. and that.. and that.. with luck.. maybe.." but out loud? "Omg Yes! You absolutely CAN do this! It is possible! Obstacles be damned, if you want it, reach for it!" :laugh:

Piercie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Man, I would never want to get on an 8's bad side... That's all... They're good friends, though... Much like 6s except that 6s are usually followers, 8s are leaders... Both are practical, violent and good friends... And both have trust issues... My best friends are a 8w7, a 6w5 and a 3w2 so I know both.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My father is an enneagram type 7w8. At times his wing influence is so strong he could be mistyped as an 8. Ime, with type 8's and those with a strong 8 wing, there is a over-riding sense of Honor in all that they do. They are open, honest and direct in their dealings with people. You always know what is on their minds and where they stand on any given issue. Also, you never wonder where you stand in relation to them. If there is something they don't like they tell you straight air it out and then seek resolution. Since 8's have a line to type 2, they are often generous with their time and energy and have a large circle of freinds (and sometimes have difficulty saying no, especially when it comes to their own children). They aren't known to hide and make petty swipes. They are very much "what you see is what you get". They also generally aren't known to attack or bully (that's the domain of CP6's). They also tend to engage in open dialogue and encourage open discussion because they value truth and honesty. Also, if they sense any kind of underlying issue which needs to be addressed they will bring it out into the open and confront head on. Also, They aren't petty, nit-picky, or critical people.

Just wanted to share :)

"honor" is no the word I would use, but certainly direct, no-bullshit and extremely honest

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I can't empathize type 8s wanting to get into conflict. Arguing with someone that has a extreme emotional bias to their conflict is a waste of time almost like religion debates. I think type 9s have the better outlook when dealing with conflict. Type 9 way of thinking usually has deals with conflict by retreating and sweeping things under the rug which in my opinion is the best route. It's less taxing on energy.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Yeah, as they can be all the other 8 types in the enneagram. What do you mean with that people can turn into 8?

Yeah I missed this comment. The growth for type 5 is to be type 8. I assume they turn into type 8 or something. When they do, they act on faults and inconsistency onto people or their arguments instead of retreating. I've done this before with people who were malicious. I usually prefer retreating most of the time.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I missed this comment. The growth for type 5 is to be type 8. I assume they turn into type 8 or something. When they do, they act on faults and inconsistency onto people or their arguments instead of retreating. I've done this before with people who were malicious. I usually prefer retreating most of the time.

Not really. It's more about learning to take action in the world.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I can't empathize type 8s wanting to get into conflict. Arguing with someone that has a extreme emotional bias to their conflict is a waste of time almost like religion debates. I think type 9s have the better outlook when dealing with conflict. Type 9 way of thinking usually has deals with conflict by retreating and sweeping things under the rug which in my opinion is the best route. It's less taxing on energy.

And it creates MORE problems. Sweeping things under the rug is no way to deal with anything, certainly not for a mature adult. Deal with problems, don't hide in a corner and bury your head in the sand.

ElleG

MBTI Type
INJF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My father is an enneagram type 7w8. At times his wing influence is so strong he could be mistyped as an 8. Ime, with type 8's and those with a strong 8 wing, there is a over-riding sense of Honor in all that they do. They are open, honest and direct in their dealings with people. You always know what is on their minds and where they stand on any given issue. Also, you never wonder where you stand in relation to them. If there is something they don't like they tell you straight air it out and then seek resolution. Since 8's have a line to type 2, they are often generous with their time and energy and have a large circle of freinds (and sometimes have difficulty saying no, especially when it comes to their own children). They aren't known to hide and make petty swipes. They are very much "what you see is what you get". They also generally aren't known to attack or bully (that's the domain of CP6's). They also tend to engage in open dialogue and encourage open discussion because they value truth and honesty. Also, if they sense any kind of underlying issue which needs to be addressed they will bring it out into the open and confront head on. Also, They aren't petty, nit-picky, or critical people.

Just wanted to share :)

You just described me perfectly! :)