12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default Maladaptive Daydreaming.

Hi, as you know excessive daydreaming, physical movements, talking to yourself etc. "All in the head" kind of thing. Anyway, are there any enneatypes that are prone to malapdative daydreaming or are all the withdrawn types equally prone to it? And.. describe how you tend to react when you're in that process, haha. maintaining self awareness while daydreaming..

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I would say this would be most common in 9's, and maybe some 5's and 4's. One of 9's defense mechanisms and escape tools is to shut off so it makes sense that this would be a way to do it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Raffaella liked this post

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Probably all withdrawn types but I would say 4s...yes.
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

5s do it but usually it's not as much daydreaming as working out a computer bug or planning something intellectual, say an argument you're hashing out or an essay you're percolating.
    4s definitely. Paging @Southern Kross, @OrangeAppled
    9s -- not sure; but likely. Paging @PeaceBaby.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I would say 4s are definitely prone to it. Sometimes it difficult for me to stop and pay attention to the external world. I'm not sure if other types are worse or not, although I suspect that 4s probably have that title.

I can literally stare at a wall for hours, completely lost in my thoughts. It's like the built in entertainment system, which comes in handy when you're waiting for a bus and have nothing to do. I have next to no self-awareness when it happens. It's resulted in some awkward situations too. I've had people say to me, "excuse me, but can you stop staring at me", when I accidentally drifted off and didn't realize/register what direction my eyes were inadvertently pointed. I then lie and say I was looking at something else, because for some reason I assume daydreaming is too weird to use as an excuse. Dark sunglasses are a must to avoid such problems.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    5s do it but usually it's not as much daydreaming as working out a computer bug or planning something intellectual, say an argument you're hashing out or an essay you're percolating.
    If I don't stay mindful, I'll find myself trying to figure out some ridiculous engineering, physics or programming task before I know it. Like, "how much more quickly does one reach the top of this very long escalator if one walks, and how much more stress does it put on the mechanism? Would there be any notable energy savings, since the escalator stairs themselves weigh quite a bit? Plus, looking at the bigger picture, what's the the overall cost vs benefit of the escalator? One would need to factor in health effects, efficiency/time factors, energy use, repair down time (perhaps affected by how many walk vs stand), etc. "

I'm not a mechanical engineer or economics/health researcher, but I can be off in that kind of speculation in about two seconds. It's not fantasizing or daydreaming (there's a goal of figuring out and understanding), but often it serves no direct useful purpose and doesn't lead anywhere other than realizing that "reality is freaking complicated, and there's a lot of figuring out that goes on and doesn't." And it can definitely be a way to intellectualize rather than experience.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    9s -- not sure; but likely. Paging @PeaceBaby.
    ... 9w1 is known as 'The dreamer'.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    If I don't stay mindful, I'll find myself trying to figure out some ridiculous engineering, physics or programming task before I know it. Like, "how much more quickly does one reach the top of this very long escalator if one walks, and how much more stress does it put on the mechanism? Would there be any notable energy savings, since the escalator stairs themselves weigh quite a bit? Plus, looking at the bigger picture, what's the the overall cost vs benefit of the escalator? One would need to factor in health effects, efficiency/time factors, energy use, repair down time (perhaps affected by how many walk vs stand), etc. "

I'm not a mechanical engineer or economics/health researcher, but I can be off in that kind of speculation in about two seconds. It's not fantasizing or daydreaming (there's a goal of figuring out and understanding), but often it serves no direct useful purpose and doesn't lead anywhere other than realizing that "reality is freaking complicated, and there's a lot of figuring out that goes on and doesn't." And it can definitely be a way to intellectualize rather than experience.
    Awww, *crap*. A fellow 5w4.

Hail and well met!
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I can testify that I'm the king of maladaptive daydreaming (or before-sleep dreaming, to be technically correct about it). Every night before I go to sleep, I think about all of the things I would do if I were omnipotent. It's always some lovely scenario about, for instance, how I'd perfect my physique and put on the most gorgeous robes before walking up a flight of stairs and seating myself in front of a pipe organ of my own design. Then I'd let loose a stream of music that would surpass the genius of every composer who ever lived. After that I'd post a video of it on Youtube.

That's what I do every night, and it's starting to drive me a little bit nuts. I want it so badly that I keep begging the gods to please let it happen. Sometimes I think it will happen and is already happening. And when it fails to happen, I'm bitterly disappointed.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I do this all the time, even at work and it regularly becomes commented on and I'm usually surprised I'm doing it
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.