• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] How many 4's do you know in real life?

How many 4's do you know IRL? Count only those you are pretty sure (90%) are 4's.

• One or less.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Three or less.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Five or less.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Ten or less.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ten or more.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have wondered about this from time to time, about many types (perhaps I'll have to follow up this poll for every other type too). I started keeping a spreadsheet of the types of all the people I know about two years ago, and I wonder if the results here will agree somewhat with my numbers?

Make sure you are fairly sure the person in question is a 4, leave people you are unsure about out of the tally.

Thanks! :)
-------------
Update: I just realized the poll options are a little confusing, I meant them to read:
1 or less
2-3
4-5
5-10
10+
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], could you edit that in the poll (or let me know how I can)?

brainheart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One intimately, one a distant acquaintance. I'm 100% sure on both of them. (Should I answer one or three on your poll?)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know 4, as in they're people I'd feel comfortable calling up and having coffee with. My good INFP friend is one, I met an ENFP 4 so through a typology site out here and she 'collects' artistic types, so I've had contact with many 4's through her, but only really call one other of them somebody I 'know'. I hung out with an INFP meetup group and know another 4 through that.

I've tried making friends with two other ENFP 4's, but both of them ended up just completely disappearing off the face of the earth.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=22480]brainheart[/MENTION] Ah, I'm always so glad to see you back. :) Two would fall into the "less than three" option (I'll edit the options so that's less confusing). Thanks for chiming in, I hope your artwork is going well (I've procrastinated mine like all heck)!

Thanks [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION]! Yeah, I suppose knowing someone like your collector of creatives would increase the amount of 4's you know. I have had to be extra careful in creative circles about typing though, people I once thought might be 4's (after knowing them better and introducing them to Enneagram) turned out to be 4-fixed 6's or 9's. I suppose typing is that delicate regardless of the type in question.

Thanks for your input! :)

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With 90% confidence? One, maybe, but not even him, really, at least I am not that sure.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know many more 4s online than in person, and I suppose that's a testament to most being quite withdrawn. IRL, there is one person besides myself that I'd confidently type as a 4. Maybe 3 people if I count my aunt & childhood best friend, but I cannot confidently type them. Some people from a distance can seem 4, but I cannot say for sure as I don't really know them. Still not sure if my ex INFJ is 3 or 4.

I know a few INFPs where it's hard to say if they are 4 or 9, but I lean towards 9 if there is doubt, because I think 9s could be mistaken for 4s but it's less likely a 4 would be mistaken for a 9 (mainly because I think 9s can have a melancholy air more than people think, but 4s are unlikely to exude the "humble servant" air).

I wouldn't say I know more than 5, but probably know more than 1, so I went with the 2-3 option.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Only two others besides myself.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
when I think about it... actually only one. a friend of mine who self-typed as 4w3 after reading my enneagram book. probs sp/so if I had to guess. but I can't think of anyone else that i know well enough to type as 4. we are such rare special snowflakes. ;)

i think most of my friends/acquaintances are 6s, 7s and 9s.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] Yes, I think many 9's tend to see themselves quite a bit in the 4 description before settling on their correct type. I know several who have said as much, and an old 9w8 roommate who swore she was a 4 until I moved in with her (haha). I think your tendency to assume 9 for other INFP's makes sense, as I think (from reading and my own research) that 9 is much more common, at least in the western world.

[MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] I have a lot of 7 and 9 in my life as well, but the front runners on my spreadsheet are 3 and 2 followed by 6 (in that order).

I find it fascinating and hilarious that only 4's have commented on this so far. ;) I'm curious how well other types think they can spot a 4 IRL. [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION] [MENTION=6643]Fluffywolf[/MENTION] [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] [MENTION=16139]Honor[/MENTION] [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] [MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION] [MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] [MENTION=5418]Lady_X[/MENTION] [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION] [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=21805]Tem[/MENTION] [MENTION=4515]wolfy[/MENTION] [MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Seventy-nine hundred thousand

I think it's just the trait I notice most in others, really.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Besides 4's I have 7's in my life, a 6 and a 9. For me I can tell the difference between 4's 6's and 9's irl like night and day, but I am a 469 and my ex was a INFP 9. 3w4s smell very funny. There was a 5w4 or a 4w5 I was very unsure of, that's the only time I was a bit confused.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I find it fascinating and hilarious that only 4's have commented on this so far. ;) I'm curious how well other types think they can spot a 4 IRL.
I know about three 4's in real life. I'm 5w4 myself, so they're easy to spot. :) They're one of the types I tend to prefer as friends. But, they also tend to be more obvious online where they can express their four-ness more explicitly.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] Yes, I think many 9's tend to see themselves quite a bit in the 4 description before settling on their correct type. I know several who have said as much, and an old 9w8 roommate who swore she was a 4 until I moved in with her (haha). I think your tendency to assume 9 for other INFP's makes sense, as I think (from reading and my own research) that 9 is much more common, at least in the western world.

[MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] I have a lot of 7 and 9 in my life as well, but the front runners on my spreadsheet are 3 and 2 followed by 6 (in that order).

I find it fascinating and hilarious that only 4's have commented on this so far. ;) I'm curious how well other types think they can spot a 4 IRL. [MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION]

What's a 4 like? INFP? Is that like, an idealist head in the clouds artsy type?

If so, I know a guy that, while I don't think he's that artsy, he likes to think he is. He must be in the unhealthy range cuz he's got his head so far up his ass it's remarkable.

I think part of it has to do with the obscene amounts of weed he smokes. Like, if I smoked that much, it would probably be the first marijuana OD death in history.

I've lived with him for a total of 3 years, trust fund kid. I got the very strong feeling his identity was "pothead" and he was/is very proud of it. Always talking about pot, how great it is, how you should smoke a lot everyday, and so on. Laziest guy I've ever known. More or less lived in his recliner with the bong in his lap.

I feel kinda bad cuz I got him to smoke for the first time. Oh well.

Much of that obviously comes from having tons of money, so therefore no ambition, in his case anyway.

Sorry such a negative example! I could be wrong about the 4 tho.

I was in a design school with a lot of creative people, many VERY talented, and probably placed a lot of their identity into their art. I'm sure a lot were 4s.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One, and two of my cousins are maybes. So, voting for one.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can think of 2-3. That's all at the moment, although I didn't really wrack my brain.

I know more INFPs IRL than that, but e9 shows up a lot, not e4.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I find it fascinating and hilarious that only 4's have commented on this so far. ;) I'm curious how well other types think they can spot a 4 IRL.

Oh jeeze.. I don't know if I truly know any irl. I must know at least one.. but the truth is, I can ID fellow 8s, and 7s with a bit less struggle.. but typing all those other types completely opposite of me? Not so great at it. :/

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this is making me wonder if people who know me irl would even type me as a 4 if they knew about enneagram. hmmmm.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I know of one. He maybe a 5w4, but even so, I'm sure he's a 4. Thinks I'm just socially awkward. :rotfl:

Oh the things I didn't write in my biography.