User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

  1. #1
    Senior Member BlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    572

    Default How to gain certainty that your Enneagram typing is right

    The problem I have is wondering if my Enneagram typing, 6, is right.

    Does anyone know how to confirm this?

    The big piece of supporting evidence I have is that I went back and forth on this for years. I could be this type, or that type, or that type; but really I can't be sure because of the power of the Forer effect. Also, I can't trust my own mind very well; I easily trick myself or miss important details.

    A few more details: I want to be type 8 the most because the descriptions make it sound like a near-superhero, and the supposed weaknesses of the type would be a small price to pay for the power. I want to be type 9 the least because they sound weak.

    I could see myself as type 1, 3, 4, 6, or 8.

    I used to like philosophy and literature and photography and stuff like that, but after much serious study I abandoned them because I decided they weren't useful for anything, and nobody knows anything anyway so it is all speculation. And I became dissatisfied with all forms of art. I have no other deep knowledge pursuits going on. So that tells against 5, I think. I don't really look to knowledge to 'save' me because knowledge is ultimately uncertain. That might also be evidence for 6.

    Type 3, 4, or 6 are credible for me. Type 8 is probably not.

  2. #2
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    How can you gain certainty that the Enneagram itself is right?

  3. #3
    Senior Member BlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    How can you gain certainty that the Enneagram itself is right?
    I can't. In fact I don't think that it can exist, objectively.

    But if the system makes sense to me, and if I can use it to organize information in a way that I perceive to be useful, then that is as accurate as it gets. So I'm trying to give the system a chance.

  4. #4
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    I can't. In fact I don't think that it can exist, objectively.

    But if the system makes sense to me, and if I can use it to organize information in a way that I perceive to be useful, then that is as accurate as it gets. So I'm trying to give the system a chance.
    Well if you don't think it really exists, then you don't have to settle on a particular type do you? Just say "I have trait X associate with type A, trait Y associated with type B etc."

    Also, I will point out that type 6 is regarded as somewhat of a mix of type 4 and 8.

    Have you noticed any trends with what types your friends seem to be?

  5. #5
    Senior Member BlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Well if you don't think it really exists, then you don't have to settle on a particular type do you? Just say "I have trait X associate with type A, trait Y associated with type B etc."

    Also, I will point out that type 6 is regarded as somewhat of a mix of type 4 and 8.

    Have you noticed any trends with what types your friends seem to be?
    I prefer to be friends with people who know something about a field I don't know about, since my conversation style is to listen to other people, so if I am going to be listening, I prefer to listen to someone who has something interesting to say. My best friend is almost definitely a 5.

    However, I have few close friends; beyond these few specialist friends I will speak to anyone else just to learn their point of view and gather information about the world. I rarely tell these people anything about myself (it doesn't come up) and don't consider them friends so much as acquaintances. I don't think there is a pattern to these people's types; I'll talk to anyone for an hour once in two months.

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    The problem I have is wondering if my Enneagram typing, 6, is right.

    Does anyone know how to confirm this?

    The big piece of supporting evidence I have is that I went back and forth on this for years. I could be this type, or that type, or that type; but really I can't be sure because of the power of the Forer effect. Also, I can't trust my own mind very well; I easily trick myself or miss important details.

    A few more details: I want to be type 8 the most because the descriptions make it sound like a near-superhero, and the supposed weaknesses of the type would be a small price to pay for the power. I want to be type 9 the least because they sound weak.

    I could see myself as type 1, 3, 4, 6, or 8.

    I used to like philosophy and literature and photography and stuff like that, but after much serious study I abandoned them because I decided they weren't useful for anything, and nobody knows anything anyway so it is all speculation. And I became dissatisfied with all forms of art. I have no other deep knowledge pursuits going on. So that tells against 5, I think. I don't really look to knowledge to 'save' me because knowledge is ultimately uncertain. That might also be evidence for 6.

    Type 3, 4, or 6 are credible for me. Type 8 is probably not.
    Only you, or somebody who knows you well, can really assess the kind of things Enneagram looks at. Ignore the stereotypical descriptions, as (thank goodness) not many people are shining examples of them The first and most important thing to discover is your core fear. Go here:

    Type 6 -- Enneagram Personality Dynamics

    Then, pay close attention to the feedback loops. If you don't recognise those patterns of behaviour then it may be time to look at another type.
    Likes cm81 liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Take the motivation of each type to an extreme to the point that they become completely neurotic and self-destructive. What's left?

  8. #8
    Senior Member BlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Only you, or somebody who knows you well, can really assess the kind of things Enneagram looks at. Ignore the stereotypical descriptions, as (thank goodness) not many people are shining examples of them The first and most important thing to discover is your core fear. Go here:

    Type 6 -- Enneagram Personality Dynamics

    Then, pay close attention to the feedback loops. If you don't recognise those patterns of behaviour then it may be time to look at another type.
    Hmmm. I recognize the desire for security, and I think that could be a major driver of my behavior. But the idea that I need to be protected by a trustworthy authority is repugnant to me. This is probably my ego talking, but I don't want to be at the mercy of some authority unless it was totally predictable. And even then, I would rather be the one in charge; longing for an authority seems slavish and fundamentally weak. I think I want to be independent.

    I'm certainly very in tune with power dynamics. However, I would say that I feel stifled by authority more than anything else. I don't look up to it at all.

    So, for example, I've successfully designed strategies in multiple past situations to undermine various systems of control, whether those be social or institutional.

    Dissolving 'oppressive' systems of control has been a major theme of mine since childhood; when I was little my play was based on me taking charge of the system, and later when I was in high school and still had time on my hands I wrote a novella (not a good one) around a character doing the same thing.

    Could this be an example of the counterphobic 6w5 (if we are doing wings?) Perhaps this 6 has given up on authority?

  9. #9
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    Hmmm. I recognize the desire for security, and I think that could be a major driver of my behavior. But the idea that I need to be protected by a trustworthy authority is repugnant to me. This is probably my ego talking, but I don't want to be at the mercy of some authority unless it was totally predictable. And even then, I would rather be the one in charge; longing for an authority seems slavish and fundamentally weak. I think I want to be independent.

    I'm certainly very in tune with power dynamics. However, I would say that I feel stifled by authority more than anything else. I don't look up to it at all.

    So, for example, I've successfully designed strategies in multiple past situations to undermine various systems of control, whether those be social or institutional.

    Dissolving 'oppressive' systems of control has been a major theme of mine since childhood; when I was little my play was based on me taking charge of the system, and later when I was in high school and still had time on my hands I wrote a novella (not a good one) around a character doing the same thing.

    Could this be an example of the counterphobic 6w5 (if we are doing wings?) Perhaps this 6 has given up on authority?
    Yes, I would also mention that NFs often don't relate to the authority-seeking aspect of 6 descriptions. That's why I said seeking security generally. The main way cp6s try to overcome their fear is by "building themselves up" and becoming strong (for guys, this is often done literally), hence the mistyping as 8s.
    Likes BlackDog liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member BlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Take the motivation of each type to an extreme to the point that they become completely neurotic and self-destructive. What's left?
    The 1 becomes an inquisitor burning heretics, while at night flagellating itself to purge itself from sin.

    The 2 becomes an unstable and double-edged pawn of anyone willing to pick it up

    The 3 becomes a demagogue

    The 4 loses touch with reality, becomes totally self-absorbed and after too much depression implodes on itself like a black hole

    The 5 becomes a monk

    The 6 reaches a height of paranoia and either goes insane or savagely strikes out like a cornered animal

    The 7 runs out on its dependents and drinks/drugs themselves into oblivion

    The 8 does pretty much like the 7 does?

    The 9 imagines itself as a peacemaker, but actually helps evil gain a foothold because of an inability to take a stand

    ---------These characterizations make any sense? Btw, I'm not about to make any of those errors, so I've not totally disintegrated!
    Likes Kullervo liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Compliments NOT to give your Enneagram type
    By Elfboy in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-01-2014, 03:52 PM
  2. How do you know when your mbti type is accurate?
    By Tyrinth in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM
  3. Your enneagram type is ..... ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 07:04 PM
  4. What song do you relate to your Enneagram type?
    By InTheFlesh in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
  5. A simple way to figure out your Enneagram type
    By evilrobot in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO