Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Impulsivity vs Spontenaeity

Posted in enneagram forum because this feels 7 related to me.

I like momentum behind things. It's motivating, empowering, and I feel like decisions can be made tailored to the exact situation that way. Things might not be the same down the road and I don't know how they will be.

My question is, where's the line? How do you check yourself for impulsivity and make sure it's healthy spontenaeity? I have some thoughts on the matter, but I'll wait to share.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes cm81 liked this post

That is something we write in patient notes "impulsive" - usually if they are endangering themselves in some way with that kind of erratic behavior.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

They both are interconnected for me.

However, spontaneity is actually a product of my many interests and love of experiencing things no matter how small.
    to me, it's not as spontaneous as it seems, but prehaps impulsive.
    to others, it looks spontaneous because the objects i'm buying or activities i'm doing come out of nowhere or just seem random.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm more impulsive than spontaneous. Easygoing, but angry. I quickly switch from one thing to the next, and often am the first to jump straight into something I shouldn't. I've literally have to remind myself not to beat the crap out of people more than I should. I seem to say all the wrong things - it's like they tumble out of my mouth.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Posted in enneagram forum because this feels 7 related to me.

I like momentum behind things. It's motivating, empowering, and I feel like decisions can be made tailored to the exact situation that way. Things might not be the same down the road and I don't know how they will be.

My question is, where's the line? How do you check yourself for impulsivity and make sure it's healthy spontenaeity? I have some thoughts on the matter, but I'll wait to share.
    There's a forum for sevens? I usually get a gut jerk reaction if my spontaneity is about to get me into trouble.

* and I try not to make important decisions if my head isn't clear. learned that the hard way. a few times.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by lil_Red View Post
    I'm more impulsive than spontaneous. Easygoing, but angry. I quickly switch from one thing to the next, and often am the first to jump straight into something I shouldn't. I've literally have to remind myself not to beat the crap out of people more than I should. I seem to say all the wrong things - it's like they tumble out of my mouth.
    geez, you banshee...
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Splash Shin View Post
    They both are interconnected for me.

However, spontaneity is actually a product of my many interests and love of experiencing things no matter how small.
    to me, it's not as spontaneous as it seems, but prehaps impulsive.
    to others, it looks spontaneous because the objects i'm buying or activities i'm doing come out of nowhere or just seem random.
    Same here. Most of my planning is carried out in my head, so to friends and family.... (mother accuses me of trying to give her a heart attack. nah)

I do stuff because I want to. (spontaneous) But I can be impulsive if I'm restless.

"There's a magic inside,

Enneagram
    7w6

Impulsivity has weight attached to it, the consequences of impulsivity are higher than that of spontaneity.

In spontaneity it doesn't seem like either choice will have any ill effect, or the choice made doesn't influence anything but that specific event.

The impulse action is something that has major consequence, or at least a longer lasting effect that if abstained from could be avoided and if not avoided then the damage contained.

It is only a matter of risk; and a situation that was made out of impulse isn't necessarily incorrect to do.

A situation can be either, neither, or both.

ETA. Spontaneity adds an unexpected choice as well, though that unexpected choice follows the outlined role already described above.

Restraint is the sign of emotional intelligence. So to the extent we are emotionally intelligent we will restrain our impulses and give full rein to our spontaneity.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Restraint is the sign of emotional intelligence. So to the extent we are emotionally intelligent we will restrain our impulses and give full rein to our spontaneity.
    How would that relate to accepting boredom as a 7?

I've been wondering if I'm actually an 8w7, as some online have tried to convince me of.
    "Correct me if I'm wrong, but you strike me as someone who could endure some amount of pain/boredom, if you know it will eventually get you what you wanted, or where you wanted to go. This is a tradeoff that most 7s aren't able to make."

I feel some truth to this, but historically i've flopped a lot of my education due to lack of interest and boredom.
    The times when i can tolerate boredom/pain do exist but not often. It's more physical in nature when it happens.
    I also feel like it is part of the maturity process, all be it maybe a little more difficult for the 7 to integrate into this aspect of being "grown up".