• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram Type, Tritype, Instinctual Type and MBTI Survey

Katherine8

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
SX8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dear Fellow Enneagram Enthusiasts.

As many of you know, I love to study all things ‘Enneagram’ as well as a diverse number of personality typologies. I especially like to correlate these typologies to find patterns that will shed additional light on the nuances of type. My hope is to make it easier to identify, understand and work with the 9 Enneagram Types.

To that end, I am conducting a new study correlating Enneagram Type, Tritype, Instincts and MBTI. I am looking for new patterns, of course… but in addition, I wish to confirm earlier patterns I found in 2010 with clients and a study consisting of roughly 400 participants.

I am hoping this data and the clusters that emerge will help us to better understand differences within Enneagram Type and demonstrate how these three typologies influence one another. For example:

Are the 478s primarily the I/ENXP?
Are those with 4 in the Tritype usually the sexual/one on one type?
Are the MBTI Fs most often the sexual/one on one instinct?
Are the MBTI Ts most often the self-preserving types?
Do social Instinctual types first mistype as Type 1?
Do ESTJs mistype as 8s?
Do INFPs mistype as 4s?

If you would like to participate in this study please make sure you are on my email list at: Enneagram Tests, Instinctual Subtypes, Tritype, and Enneagram Type Reports!. The survey will go out in the next week or two. Thanks.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I think these are interesting questions and I look forward to hearing about the results, but how does this process work, exactly? We sign up to a general email list for your site and products, and then at some point in the future, we'll get a notice of the study questionnaire(s) being available?

I guess I see a couple of potential issues with that:

• People have to sign up for an email list that is used for marketing materials in order to participate. (Full disclosure: I'm already on your mailing list, so it's not a big deal for me personally.)
  • Participants are not only self-selecting, but they have to follow through multiple, time-delayed steps in order to participate (without even a clear estimate of the time involved).
Both of those seem like they will skew participant selection even further, plus it gives the appearance of using an offer of study participation as a means to build up a marketing list. I do like some of your products (I've bought several!) and theories, but you guys tend give the appearance of being relentless about monetizing whenever possible.

I understand that it may be that you merely wanted to make sure you had enough participants before mailing out a survey link, or that you didn't want to devote the resources to setting up a separate email list just for study volunteers. But still, more information would be better, so people understand the level of commitment involved. (In my 5-ish way, I'd want to know what I was signing up for!)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I think these are interesting questions and I look forward to hearing about the results, but how does this process work, exactly? We sign up to a general email list for your site and products, and then at some point in the future, we'll get a notice of the study questionnaire(s) being available?

• People have to sign up for an email list that is used for marketing materials in order to participate. (Full disclosure: I'm already on your mailing list, so it's not a big deal for me personally.)
  • Participants are not only self-selecting, but they have to follow through multiple, time-delayed steps in order to participate (without even a clear estimate of the time involved).
Both of those seems like they will skew participant selection even further, plus it gives the appearance of using an offer of study participation as a means to build up a marketing list. I do like some of your products (I've bought several!) and theories, but you guys tend give the appearance of being relentless about monetizing whenever possible.

I understand that it may be that you merely wanted to make sure you had enough participants before mailing out a survey link, or that you didn't want to devote the resources to setting up a separate email list just for study volunteers. But still, more information would be better, so people understand the level of commitment involved. (In my 5-ish way, I'd want to know what I was signing up for!)

As a personal fan and also purchaser of several of your products, [MENTION=21873]Katherine8[/MENTION] - I would also like to know answers to these questions. We're more than happy to help you with surveys like this but our site is free of commercial interests.

As an aside, I didn't know you are an ENFP :). Wouldn't have guessed that.

Katherine8

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
SX8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Good question... As I stated above, it will be going out within 2 weeks, maybe earlier. Unfortunately all notices.... whether free videos, products or surveys are the same list.

Not sure I follow? I am finishing the questions.... not sure how many yet but an email will go out with those details and you can choose if you wish to participate. I have just been letting people know should they wish to participate. If you know my work, you would know I often give out free codes and products...
Both of those seem like they will skew participant selection even further, plus it gives the appearance of using an offer of study participation as a means to build up a marketing list. I do like some of your products (I've bought several!) and theories, but you guys tend give the appearance of being relentless about monetizing whenever possible.

It appears I have offended you. That was not my intention. My goal was to let those interested in these topics know that I was about to do another study. I have always just sent to my list and have only recently visited this site so I have never encountered the misperceptions you suggest. I do not hide behind an avatar, never have and never will. I stand before you as I am with sincere intentions, however imperfect they may be. What you see is what you get...no more no less. I guess it was ill considered to believe that other enthusiasts might want to know of this survey and might want to participate. Personally, I would want to know and acted on that impulse. All studies are voluntary so it never occurred to me that anyone would have a problem being notified of the opportunity to participate. I respect your judgments. And, I would ask you to consider your comments further... and ask if you can name other Enneagram teachers that give away free products, scholarships, sliding scale, videos and services... and share their research findings in presentations and online?

Projections are understandable but not always accurate. I am truly surprised by your comments. My work is all over this site... much of which has not given attribution to me or my copyright and yet I have never complained. FWIW, my passion is and has always been the information. I have conducted 20 studies in 20 years and done 18 of them online. The surveys have been on diverse topics to better understand how the types see themselves rather than what authors say...myself included... ;)). I want to know what the deeper nuances of type are to help people accurately type themselves and others and to find the best way to work with people. The different research projects are simple rather than complex and have revealed a great deal about the internal experience of type. This has been my passion since I learned about the Enneagram 30 years ago. I always share what I learn as I have with the free not for profit videos. So I understand your concerns but your assumptions are inaccurate. I love patterns and I believe I recognize your writing style... it is very distinctive ;) I am great with pattern recognition but as you can see I am lousy when it comes to responding to sites such as these.

Katherine8

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
SX8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What would you have guessed? I test 1 point more F than T.... I relate to ENTP with the F very close....so for that reason I see ENXP as most accurate. Most 8s with ENFP feel the same way.... type related issues such as this was one of the reasons for doing a more extensive study...and of course to find additional patterns. I already have thousands results of the raw data of MBTI Types, Enneacards Tests, and Enneastyle Questionnaires...I just wanted to give people the opportunity to add meaningful comments, etc., to the data. To me, the comments with the questions are pure gold... Beginning with my first survey it was clear when people had mistyped as their answers would perfectly match a different type. 20 studies later, I have questions that reveal outliers and I always follow up with interviews when new patterns emerge...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Projections are understandable but not always accurate. I am truly surprised by your comments. My work is all over this site... much of which has not given attribution to me or my copyright and yet I have never complained. FWIW, my passion is and has always been the information. I have conducted 20 studies in 20 years and done 18 of them online. The surveys have been on diverse topics to better understand how the types see themselves rather than what authors say...myself included... ;)). I want to know what the deeper nuances of type are to help people accurately type themselves and others and to find the best way to work with people. The different research projects are simple rather than complex and have revealed a great deal about the internal experience of type. This has been my passion since I learned about the Enneagram 30 years ago. I always share what I learn as I have with the free not for profit videos. So I understand your concerns but your assumptions are inaccurate. I love patterns and I believe I recognize your writing style... it is very distinctive ;)

I don't know if Seymour is offended or not. I didn't read it that way. I'm certainly not. I think people are just sort of direct here. Confront and debate. It's a forum :).

I'd be happy to promote your survey. We can highlight it through a thread on the home page for example. I think some people just don't want to be on mailing lists, especially if there are products attempting to be sold, and they don't want to give out email addresses. I like being on your list because you send out great/helpful information and there most certainly aren't an excessive number of emails. We just had a rather intense discussion about even having a newsletter for the site (not trying to sell anything), with many people objecting and saying they don't want it. If there is a way to give people the option to fill it in without signing up, we might be able to help you get more people to participate. We'd like to be able to reference the published results.

On copyright issues, we try to be careful about that sort of thing. See Posting Other People's Content in the rules. If there are any items that you have a concern with, please send me a PM and let me know directly.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=21873]Katherine8[/MENTION]

I really wasn't (and am not) offended. I thought I had been careful in stating that I was discussing how things were coming across and how they might be perceived, rather than saying anything about your actual motivation or intent.

As I said, I was already on your mailing list, so I don't have any qualms about receiving notifications (and marketing material). I look forward to participating and later hearing about the results. I'm glad you are casting a wide net so that you can get a sufficient number of people to be able to do interesting statical analysis and discover meaningful correlations (that seems especially important when looking at the intersection of two typing systems, where the combinatorial factors make for a staggering number of possible enneagram + MBTI types).

I still think it's beneficial to be absolutely clear up front, so volunteers who are unfamiliar with your work don't feel misled (or choose not to participate). I continue to feel it would be better to have a separate list for research volunteers and results (or at least have marketing and research as opt-in options on the signup/profile page). Failing that, just being clear up front that it's a general purpose list would be more clear. It might also be nice to include that the results will be made public (and perhaps that they will be announced on the same list). You do not, of course, have to make any of those changes now or in the future (which feels silly to spell out), but I think they would leave less room for misinterpretation in the long run.

I'm glad that folks find ways to follow their passions and make careers out of them. I'm glad there are people who are passionate about the enneagram and willing to carry out much-needed empirical research. I don't think you are scamming people, trying to mislead them, or are only in it for the money. It was happy to hear you offer sliding scales, scholarships, etc. All good stuff.

I'm sure as a business owner you do a lot of outreach and broadcasting of your products, and that you must do so in order to do keep doing what you love. I hope you can understand how only being exposed to that side of your communications might create a less-than-complete impression. Still, I would agree that that stating that you guys tend come across as being "relentless about monetizing" was an exaggeration, and based on an incomplete perspective.

I'm surprised that you recognize my writing style from somewhere else. I generally only post here and don't think I've had any interactions with you previously (beyond purchasing products from your web site) nor have I posted on enneagram-specific websites. Maybe I have a writing-style twin elsewhere on the internet?

At any rate, I apologize for missing the the "one to two weeks" part of your original announcement, and that I came across as attacking your character and motivations.

Last edited:

Katherine8

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
SX8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your questions and concerns are fair. I am not a scientist. I do however like to see and understand patterns. I use constant contact to run the survey.The survey questions are almost finished. There will be about 50 questions. It will take 15-20 minutes... It is completely confidential. There will be the standard easy to answer demographic questions to see who is participating and to better understand the results such as age, country region, language, field, MBTI, Tritype, Instinct, knowledge, experience, etc. For example, there is a growing group of 11-17 year olds in the Enneagram world ....... There is a comment section for each question for those that wish to say more about a question...this section is not statically relevant but always reveals a great deal of data and unexpected patterns. Again, my focus is on the clusters and patterns that emerge.... Then later, I can sort for the answers to questions based on a topic. For example, what did the 18-24 year old enfps say compared to the other age groups. Or, did those identifying with the same Type, Tritype, Instinct and MBTI type make any similar comments? Did the beginners say the same things that the advanced participants did...just to name a couple of examples.

Last edited:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sounds interesting [MENTION=21873]Katherine8[/MENTION]

I'm already on your email list, so I look forward to hearing about it. :)

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What would you have guessed? I test 1 point more F than T.... I relate to ENTP with the F very close....so for that reason I see ENXP as most accurate. Most 8s with ENFP feel the same way.... type related issues such as this was one of the reasons for doing a more extensive study...and of course to find additional patterns. I already have thousands results of the raw data of MBTI Types, Enneacards Tests, and Enneastyle Questionnaires...I just wanted to give people the opportunity to add meaningful comments, etc., to the data. To me, the comments with the questions are pure gold... Beginning with my first survey it was clear when people had mistyped as their answers would perfectly match a different type. 20 studies later, I have questions that reveal outliers and I always follow up with interviews when new patterns emerge...
Hi Katherine.

I like your stuff and I think I'm already on your list, so I'm eager to take the survey. I'm wondering if you use the cognitive functions, though? That would seem to give you the most accurate results regarding your work. For instance, I test as ISTP on the Myers-Briggs, but I'm really an ENTP, and if I hadn't studied the functions behind the theory, I wouldn't have ever come to that conclusion. I'd be saying I was an ISTP and throwing off all the data.

It's a topic most IRL enneagram practitioners don't seem to have mastered, so there's a lot of room for exploration here.

As an enthusiast of both systems, I'm inclined to wonder "Can an 8 with a heavy 4-fix ever have the Feeling function in an inferior position?", rather than debate the T / F dichotomy. My experience indicates this might be true (and I know a confirmed 478 INFJ, for reference). I dunno how much you already know about this, but I'm thinking that would help shed light on some of your questions.

Katherine8

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
SX8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Excellent points... and yes, most Enneagram Enthusiasts do not have an expert level of understanding of the MBTI and vice versa which brings its limitations..... The same is true with the instincts, trifix, tritype, micro expressions, archetypes, lexicon, etc.

And as we all know, the author(s) and teacher(s) with whom a student has studied...Enneagram greatly influences one’s definition of type, instinct, tritype and MBTI. For example, most early authors didn't know the instincts, and some had much of type 9 in type 2, social instinct as type 1, much of sp as 8ish or 6ish, sexual as 4ish ...

So, I see these as different templates... Once I understand the template a person is using I better understand why they type individuals they way they do. We naturally type according to our knowledge base and experience. For example, depending on the description of the types used in any of these systems, we can better understand why people type differently. Fortunately, there are some exemplars that are more universally agreed upon…. Among other things, I track the patterns of consistent outliers and interview further to find the meaning.

This is why I am more focused on the patterns that emerge…. I seek confluence.

For example, on the first Enneastyle Questionnaire, under the question I need ______, the sp 9s said they needed elastic… funny joke, yes….but it was very revealing in that only the sp 9s made that joke…. so it became meaningful as to the internal world of the sp 9 and lead to deeper insights. Ease and comfort was the answer of course but I then compare and contrast the different categories to verify the potential types with a greater degree of accuracy..... Once I have a template as to how people "self identify" I then know the categories I wish to further clarify and pursue. I also cross reference data.

What 5 words would you suggest are the most frequently used by the 16 MBTI types?

Katherine8

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
SX8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok... the Survey is almost ready....there are 70 questions...50 of these are easy, simple demographics.... for example, with age, I added a category of 10-16 year olds...as this a growing group.... Multiple choice, yes/no questions with the ability to add comments with each question.... Then general questions...such as: Are you a twin? Identical or fraternal? It will take 20-25 minutes with comments and needs to be completed in one try...

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd be glad to participate in this survey, but I do wonder about the common issue of mistyping (especially if you are including minors, the mistype percentage there would be high). I recently did an independent project based on the Enneagram and the most time consuming aspect was making sure my participants were correctly typed-- granted, I only had 18 participants, but it was still a long process. Do you think you'd get more accurately typed people if you conducted a survey at an Enneagram conference or some such?

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Signed up for the mailing list last week - I look forward to participating! I have a fondness for surveys.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd be glad to participate in this survey, but I do wonder about the common issue of mistyping (especially if you are including minors, the mistype percentage there would be high). I recently did an independent project based on the Enneagram and the most time consuming aspect was making sure my participants were correctly typed-- granted, I only had 18 participants, but it was still a long process. Do you think you'd get more accurately typed people if you conducted a survey at an Enneagram conference or some such?

I would agree that's a problem, but mistyping is always going to be an issue. Even if you administered an instrument, there's no guarantee the instruments reflect someone's "real type." So, one has several options:

• Only test "experts" who go to conferences/workshops: those who are of sufficient age, experience, etc. This is going to vastly limit the data one collects (and increase the self-selection problem), since most people don't attend MBTI/enneagram workshops. Even among those that do, it appears that some types tend to be consistently underrepresented (3s for example).
  • Try to get a "representative sample." Usually getting a more representative sample for typology requires using instruments (tests), since most folks won't know their types. This means the data is only as good as the instrument. Plus, getting a representative sample is difficult... usually it involves dialing random phone numbers (which limits the data to those who have a phone and will answer a phone call from an unknown number, and stick through a whole series of questions), or trying to enlist those who are part of a relatively mandatory activity.
  • Test a broad range of people who are available (a convenience sample), and ask additional questions to try to elicit the quality of data (for typing, this might involve age, having taken "official" instruments, participated in conferences/workshops, etc). Or one can ask a convenience sample to effectively take various instruments/tests, to make types experimentally defined (that is, "being type X is experimentally defined as testing as type X using instrument I").
In any case, it's somewhat academic whether someone is a "real" INFJ or 6 or not. If one is describing those who identify as INFJs/6s (or test as INFJs/6s), that's still descriptive data that may be useful. If one is using instrument/test results, that's also useful. It may not map perfectly to real types, but it's still useful data.

Plus, unless one can compel everyone to participate and force everyone to invest serious time and contemplation, then one is never going to have a truly representative sample, much less one that represents people's "real types." I think one has to accept the limitations of the various studies, but keep those limitations in mind when interpreting and applying the results.

In academia, many psychology studies only include psych undergrads (since they are the most convenient population to sample). That doesn't mean the studies are worthless, but they are describing a limited subset of the overall population.

Regardless, when presenting results it's important to describe the test population (and how data was obtained), so that others can take that into account when interpreting results. When reading summaries in the popular press, that's exactly the kind of information that gets left in the fine print (if it is included at all).

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would agree that's a problem, but mistyping is always going to be an issue. Even if you administered an instrument, there's no guarantee the instruments reflect someone's "real type." So, one has several options:

• Only test "experts" who go to conferences/workshops: those who are of sufficient age, experience, etc. This is going to vastly limit the data one collects (and increase the self-selection problem), since most people don't attend MBTI/enneagram workshops. Even among those that do, it appears that some types tend to be consistently underrepresented (3s for example).
  • Try to get a "representative sample." Usually getting a more representative sample for typology requires using instruments (tests), since most folks won't know their types. This means the data is only as good as the instrument. Plus, getting a representative sample is difficult... usually it involves dialing random phone numbers (which limits the data to those who have a phone and will answer a phone call from an unknown number, and stick through a whole series of questions), or trying to enlist those who are part of a relatively mandatory activity.
  • Test a broad range of people who are available (a convenience sample), and ask additional questions to try to elicit the quality of data (for typing, this might involve age, having taken "official" instruments, participated in conferences/workshops, etc). Or one can ask a convenience sample to effectively take various instruments/tests, to make types experimentally defined (that is, "being type X is experimentally defined as testing as type X using instrument I").
In any case, it's somewhat academic whether someone is a "real" INFJ or 6 or not. If one is describing those who identify as INFJs/6s (or test as INFJs/6s), that's still descriptive data that may be useful. If one is using instrument/test results, that's also useful. It may not map perfectly to real types, but it's still useful data.

Plus, unless one can compel everyone to participate and force everyone to invest serious time and contemplation, then one is never going to have a truly representative sample, much less one that represents people's "real types." I think one has to accept the limitations of the various studies, but keep those limitations in mind when interpreting and applying the results.

In academia, many psychology studies only include psych undergrads (since they are the most convenient population to sample). That doesn't mean the studies are worthless, but they are describing a limited subset of the overall population.

Regardless, when presenting results it's important to describe the test population (and how data was obtained), so that others can take that into account when interpreting results. When reading summaries in the popular press, that's exactly the kind of information that gets left in the fine print (if it is included at all).

Totally valid, and also explains why I went the route of less people = more times spent verifying the type of each. Quality over quantity if you will, which does explain why these surveys must sacrifice accuracy to some extent. Both are necessary, but I think I'd be driven crazy administering any sort of the latter (but I'm completely game to participate ;)). Perhaps it's just that my fascination lies more in the depths, and with the detailed experiences of each individual.

Katherine8

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
SX8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Totally valid, and also explains why I went the route of less people = more times spent verifying the type of each. Quality over quantity if you will, which does explain why these surveys must sacrifice accuracy to some extent. Both are necessary, but I think I'd be driven crazy administering any sort of the latter (but I'm completely game to participate ;)). Perhaps it's just that my fascination lies more in the depths, and with the detailed experiences of each individual.
----------
Ah, true to some degree but perhaps not if you are looking for patterns.... and do both. ;) Much better however, if it is your career and are funded...

Focus of Study
The focus of this research is an ongoing study of the Enneagram Types, which when correlated with Tritype, Instinctual Type and MBTI, produce predictable patterns of thinking, perceiving and behaving, that can potentially explain the sources of common mistyping, and/or differences within type.

My interest is in gaining a rich and complex understanding of people’s experience of being their Enneagram Type, Tritype, Instinctual Type and MBTI and the meaning they assign to these types rather than simply validating a theory or hypothesis. The approach I prefer is mostly focused on the social constructivist paradigm, which stresses the socially constructed nature of reality as an ongoing, dynamic process. It is about recording, analyzing and attempting to uncover the deeper meaning and significance of human behavior and experience, including contradictory beliefs, behaviors and emotions.

The Process
This research is both qualitative and quantitate in approach. I do not base my research on pre-determined hypotheses, nevertheless, I am guided by an overarching theory that a correlation between these systems exists, which provided a general basis for my investigation.

I prefer this type of data collection and analysis because it is methodical but allows for greater flexibility than quantitative research. Most of the data is collected in the form of questions, observation and interaction with the participants e.g. through participant interviews and/or focus groups.

Principles
I believe that people are always trying to give meaning to their experiences. Therefore, I have not found it useful to limit a study to my view or understanding of the situation as I learn the most from the experiences of the participants. As a result, the methods I use are more open-ended and more exploratory (particularly when very little is known about a particular subject). This way, I am free to go beyond the initial response that the participant gives and to ask why, how, in what way, etc., and then tailor follow up questions to the participant’s responses.

If you are willing to participate, this is the link:
http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e9w9262ai0ir32rh/start

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I did it, or rather tried to, but when I pressed submit it said I had already done it... I hadn't so now I don't know if it went through or not =/

The important aspect is 479 tritype should be "The Escapist"! :biggrin:

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
It seems to me that ENxPs I know IRL are heavily 7 types more than 4, but I definitely see why 4 would be a strong possibility. Its probably because my sample size is so small. Most people I know are S.

Iván Elías

I will take the survey, I want to participate as a significant sample, the only issue is that I would need to get deep insight into my unique profile to help in the accuracy of the final correlations. I've seen challenges like this before, as attempts of multisystemic correlations and unconcluded researchers, like the Fudjack-Dinkelaker paper. I've been "observing the observation" of certain types mostly, like being more involved with certain aspects, varying between the objective or subjective along the many personalities. I am certainly an enneatype five, INTJ, not totally sure about the rest, so I may not be a good feedback to the focus of your study.