User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    SX8 sx/sp

Excellent points... and yes, most Enneagram Enthusiasts do not have an expert level of understanding of the MBTI and vice versa which brings its limitations..... The same is true with the instincts, trifix, tritype, micro expressions, archetypes, lexicon, etc.

And as we all know, the author(s) and teacher(s) with whom a student has studied...Enneagram greatly influences one’s definition of type, instinct, tritype and MBTI. For example, most early authors didn't know the instincts, and some had much of type 9 in type 2, social instinct as type 1, much of sp as 8ish or 6ish, sexual as 4ish ...

So, I see these as different templates... Once I understand the template a person is using I better understand why they type individuals they way they do. We naturally type according to our knowledge base and experience. For example, depending on the description of the types used in any of these systems, we can better understand why people type differently. Fortunately, there are some exemplars that are more universally agreed upon…. Among other things, I track the patterns of consistent outliers and interview further to find the meaning.

This is why I am more focused on the patterns that emerge…. I seek confluence.

For example, on the first Enneastyle Questionnaire, under the question I need ______, the sp 9s said they needed elastic… funny joke, yes….but it was very revealing in that only the sp 9s made that joke…. so it became meaningful as to the internal world of the sp 9 and lead to deeper insights. Ease and comfort was the answer of course but I then compare and contrast the different categories to verify the potential types with a greater degree of accuracy..... Once I have a template as to how people "self identify" I then know the categories I wish to further clarify and pursue. I also cross reference data.

What 5 words would you suggest are the most frequently used by the 16 MBTI types?
    Likes highlander, Elfboy, Sanjuro liked this post

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    SX8 sx/sp

Ok... the Survey is almost ready....there are 70 questions...50 of these are easy, simple demographics.... for example, with age, I added a category of 10-16 year olds...as this a growing group.... Multiple choice, yes/no questions with the ability to add comments with each question.... Then general questions...such as: Are you a twin? Identical or fraternal? It will take 20-25 minutes with comments and needs to be completed in one try...

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

I'd be glad to participate in this survey, but I do wonder about the common issue of mistyping (especially if you are including minors, the mistype percentage there would be high). I recently did an independent project based on the Enneagram and the most time consuming aspect was making sure my participants were correctly typed-- granted, I only had 18 participants, but it was still a long process. Do you think you'd get more accurately typed people if you conducted a survey at an Enneagram conference or some such?
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨
    Likes Sanjuro liked this post

MBTI
    TiNi
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so

Signed up for the mailing list last week - I look forward to participating! I have a fondness for surveys.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    I'd be glad to participate in this survey, but I do wonder about the common issue of mistyping (especially if you are including minors, the mistype percentage there would be high). I recently did an independent project based on the Enneagram and the most time consuming aspect was making sure my participants were correctly typed-- granted, I only had 18 participants, but it was still a long process. Do you think you'd get more accurately typed people if you conducted a survey at an Enneagram conference or some such?
    I would agree that's a problem, but mistyping is always going to be an issue. Even if you administered an instrument, there's no guarantee the instruments reflect someone's "real type." So, one has several options:

• Only test "experts" who go to conferences/workshops: those who are of sufficient age, experience, etc. This is going to vastly limit the data one collects (and increase the self-selection problem), since most people don't attend MBTI/enneagram workshops. Even among those that do, it appears that some types tend to be consistently underrepresented (3s for example).
    • Try to get a "representative sample." Usually getting a more representative sample for typology requires using instruments (tests), since most folks won't know their types. This means the data is only as good as the instrument. Plus, getting a representative sample is difficult... usually it involves dialing random phone numbers (which limits the data to those who have a phone and will answer a phone call from an unknown number, and stick through a whole series of questions), or trying to enlist those who are part of a relatively mandatory activity.
    • Test a broad range of people who are available (a convenience sample), and ask additional questions to try to elicit the quality of data (for typing, this might involve age, having taken "official" instruments, participated in conferences/workshops, etc). Or one can ask a convenience sample to effectively take various instruments/tests, to make types experimentally defined (that is, "being type X is experimentally defined as testing as type X using instrument I").

In any case, it's somewhat academic whether someone is a "real" INFJ or 6 or not. If one is describing those who identify as INFJs/6s (or test as INFJs/6s), that's still descriptive data that may be useful. If one is using instrument/test results, that's also useful. It may not map perfectly to real types, but it's still useful data.

Plus, unless one can compel everyone to participate and force everyone to invest serious time and contemplation, then one is never going to have a truly representative sample, much less one that represents people's "real types." I think one has to accept the limitations of the various studies, but keep those limitations in mind when interpreting and applying the results.

In academia, many psychology studies only include psych undergrads (since they are the most convenient population to sample). That doesn't mean the studies are worthless, but they are describing a limited subset of the overall population.

Regardless, when presenting results it's important to describe the test population (and how data was obtained), so that others can take that into account when interpreting results. When reading summaries in the popular press, that's exactly the kind of information that gets left in the fine print (if it is included at all).

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I would agree that's a problem, but mistyping is always going to be an issue. Even if you administered an instrument, there's no guarantee the instruments reflect someone's "real type." So, one has several options:

• Only test "experts" who go to conferences/workshops: those who are of sufficient age, experience, etc. This is going to vastly limit the data one collects (and increase the self-selection problem), since most people don't attend MBTI/enneagram workshops. Even among those that do, it appears that some types tend to be consistently underrepresented (3s for example).
    • Try to get a "representative sample." Usually getting a more representative sample for typology requires using instruments (tests), since most folks won't know their types. This means the data is only as good as the instrument. Plus, getting a representative sample is difficult... usually it involves dialing random phone numbers (which limits the data to those who have a phone and will answer a phone call from an unknown number, and stick through a whole series of questions), or trying to enlist those who are part of a relatively mandatory activity.
    • Test a broad range of people who are available (a convenience sample), and ask additional questions to try to elicit the quality of data (for typing, this might involve age, having taken "official" instruments, participated in conferences/workshops, etc). Or one can ask a convenience sample to effectively take various instruments/tests, to make types experimentally defined (that is, "being type X is experimentally defined as testing as type X using instrument I").

In any case, it's somewhat academic whether someone is a "real" INFJ or 6 or not. If one is describing those who identify as INFJs/6s (or test as INFJs/6s), that's still descriptive data that may be useful. If one is using instrument/test results, that's also useful. It may not map perfectly to real types, but it's still useful data.

Plus, unless one can compel everyone to participate and force everyone to invest serious time and contemplation, then one is never going to have a truly representative sample, much less one that represents people's "real types." I think one has to accept the limitations of the various studies, but keep those limitations in mind when interpreting and applying the results.

In academia, many psychology studies only include psych undergrads (since they are the most convenient population to sample). That doesn't mean the studies are worthless, but they are describing a limited subset of the overall population.

Regardless, when presenting results it's important to describe the test population (and how data was obtained), so that others can take that into account when interpreting results. When reading summaries in the popular press, that's exactly the kind of information that gets left in the fine print (if it is included at all).
    Totally valid, and also explains why I went the route of less people = more times spent verifying the type of each. Quality over quantity if you will, which does explain why these surveys must sacrifice accuracy to some extent. Both are necessary, but I think I'd be driven crazy administering any sort of the latter (but I'm completely game to participate ). Perhaps it's just that my fascination lies more in the depths, and with the detailed experiences of each individual.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    SX8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    Totally valid, and also explains why I went the route of less people = more times spent verifying the type of each. Quality over quantity if you will, which does explain why these surveys must sacrifice accuracy to some extent. Both are necessary, but I think I'd be driven crazy administering any sort of the latter (but I'm completely game to participate ). Perhaps it's just that my fascination lies more in the depths, and with the detailed experiences of each individual.
    ----------
    Ah, true to some degree but perhaps not if you are looking for patterns.... and do both. Much better however, if it is your career and are funded...

Focus of Study
    The focus of this research is an ongoing study of the Enneagram Types, which when correlated with Tritype, Instinctual Type and MBTI, produce predictable patterns of thinking, perceiving and behaving, that can potentially explain the sources of common mistyping, and/or differences within type.

My interest is in gaining a rich and complex understanding of people’s experience of being their Enneagram Type, Tritype, Instinctual Type and MBTI and the meaning they assign to these types rather than simply validating a theory or hypothesis. The approach I prefer is mostly focused on the social constructivist paradigm, which stresses the socially constructed nature of reality as an ongoing, dynamic process. It is about recording, analyzing and attempting to uncover the deeper meaning and significance of human behavior and experience, including contradictory beliefs, behaviors and emotions.

The Process
    This research is both qualitative and quantitate in approach. I do not base my research on pre-determined hypotheses, nevertheless, I am guided by an overarching theory that a correlation between these systems exists, which provided a general basis for my investigation.

I prefer this type of data collection and analysis because it is methodical but allows for greater flexibility than quantitative research. Most of the data is collected in the form of questions, observation and interaction with the participants e.g. through participant interviews and/or focus groups.

Principles
    I believe that people are always trying to give meaning to their experiences. Therefore, I have not found it useful to limit a study to my view or understanding of the situation as I learn the most from the experiences of the participants. As a result, the methods I use are more open-ended and more exploratory (particularly when very little is known about a particular subject). This way, I am free to go beyond the initial response that the participant gives and to ask why, how, in what way, etc., and then tailor follow up questions to the participant’s responses.

If you are willing to participate, this is the link:
    http://survey.constantcontact.com/su...i0ir32rh/start

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I did it, or rather tried to, but when I pressed submit it said I had already done it... I hadn't so now I don't know if it went through or not =/

The important aspect is 479 tritype should be "The Escapist"!

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

It seems to me that ENxPs I know IRL are heavily 7 types more than 4, but I definitely see why 4 would be a strong possibility. Its probably because my sample size is so small. Most people I know are S.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

I will take the survey, I want to participate as a significant sample, the only issue is that I would need to get deep insight into my unique profile to help in the accuracy of the final correlations. I've seen challenges like this before, as attempts of multisystemic correlations and unconcluded researchers, like the Fudjack-Dinkelaker paper. I've been "observing the observation" of certain types mostly, like being more involved with certain aspects, varying between the objective or subjective along the many personalities. I am certainly an enneatype five, INTJ, not totally sure about the rest, so I may not be a good feedback to the focus of your study.
    Testing my Johari Window