User Tag List

123 Last

Default Trouble Ascertaining my Enneagram Type

Hi all,

Before I go any further, I’d like to state that I am unquestionably an INFJ. I mention this in the event of the MBTI / Enneagram having some kind of proven correlation. With that in mind…

I've been having some trouble nailing down my enneagram type. I recently typed this up on another forum:

TL;DR – I thought I may be a five because I exhibit many of the traits, though after frolicking gaily trough some of the five sections of forums it became painfully obvious that they’re a far more intelligent, analytical bunch than I am.

The test at enneagram.net has me pegged as a 9. In fact, it proffered two results – nine and… er, nine. So that would seem pretty conclusive ;p I may yet purchase the full test.

I just don’t ‘get’ the core motivations / fears. I can get behind indolence being my vice, but at what point does that stop being dominant Ni and begin being an enneagram trait? Also, I’m not as conflict avoidant as the descriptions would have you believe. I certainly don’t look for conflict – and I can be pretty blind to it when it only affects myself – but anyone crossing my friends or family will be dealt with mercilessly.

Looking at the description here:

Enneagram Personality Type 9: The Peacemaker

There are so, so many things that make me screw my nose up in objection. I assume I’m easy going, yet my wife tells me that I’m an argumentative git who will readily call people out on their bullshit, though she concedes that I am typically very diplomatic about it (unless I know the person well).

I’m accepting to a degree, but overall I much prefer that people leave me the hell alone. When I /have/ to deal with someone I'm typically warm and accepting, though sometimes it's very difficult for my to disguise my contempt. Not usually aimed at the person in question, but at having to expend time and energy dealing with such an inane pursuit. Idle chatter, for example.

It's also stated that nines are down to earth. Ha! I'm floating around in the stratosphere somewhere. Also perhaps worthy of note is that people tend to perceive that I am incredibly confident, but quietly so. When she first met me, my wife had no idea that at my core I had crippling self esteem issues. Most people have no idea that up until recently I had absolutely zero confidence... I even managed to fool an audience 200 strong during one public speaking event; on the photos I look absolutely nonchalant - in reality I was bricking myself so hard I thought I'd pass out... FWIW.

Ugh, I dunno. I could sit here and ramble on forever and a day – it wouldn’t get me anywhere.

9w8? Typically chilled out, will readily take a stand when required. Please help - I'm completely dumbfounded

[EDIT] I've been told that I'm a six because I turn to others for help... but isn't that A) normal and B) probably linked to Fe first and foremost?

This seems pretty conclusive:

PSTypes Enneagram Test Results

The Distribution of Your Scores

Type One: 16
    Type Two: 9
    Type Three: 10
    Type Four: 16
    Type Five: 33
    Type Six: 18
    Type Seven: 16
    Type Eight: 2
    Type Nine: 43
    Your probable Enneagram Type

Your main type is 9.
    Considering the wings you should be a 9w1.

Results from:

Personality Types: PSTypes Enneagram Test - Enneagram and Myers Briggs

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

E5 is unusual in the Enneagram system - it actually does have a correlation, around 85%, with MBTI types. IxTx types in this case.

I think that as a Feeler, you would be more likely to be a 9w8.
    Likes pmj85 liked this post

Thanks, and yes - I had noticed that a lot of E5s tended to be the types you mention. I am a somewhat analytical person, but certainly not to the extent of those guys and gals.

9w8 seems about right I guess; I'm fairly chilled out until someone really steps on my toes or pushes me around, at which point I tend to get up in their grill about stuff. I guess that'd be classed as an 8 response? I can also be somewhat demanding when I'm stressed.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by pmj85 View Post
    Thanks, and yes - I had noticed that a lot of E5s tended to be the types you mention. I am a somewhat analytical person, but certainly not to the extent of those guys and gals.

9w8 seems about right I guess; I'm fairly chilled out until someone really steps on my toes or pushes me around, at which point I tend to get up in their grill about stuff. I guess that'd be classed as an 8 response? I can also be somewhat demanding when I'm stressed.
    Enneagram doesn't describe how you act on a conscious so much as an unconscious, more primal level. Basically, if you want to discover the Enneagram find out what your core fears and defence mechanisms are.

I just mentioned that somebody who sees the world primarily in an emotional way is unlikely to be a 5. 5s habitually detach from their emotions and have trouble expressing them. Put it this way - if you are a 5, then you are highly unlikely to be an INFJ.
    Likes pmj85 liked this post

Apologies for this post - I'm in work so this is a pretty much 'shat out' effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Enneagram doesn't describe how you act on a conscious so much as an unconscious, more primal level. Basically, if you want to discover the Enneagram find out what your core fears and defence mechanisms are.

I just mentioned that somebody who sees the world primarily in an emotional way is unlikely to be a 5. 5s habitually detach from their emotions and have trouble expressing them. Put it this way - if you are a 5, then you are highly unlikely to be an INFJ.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Also, I just noticed you are a fellow Ni-dom; I know a couple of awesome INTJs and very much enjoy chatting with you guys... though your Te 'data-bursts' can be bloody hard to keep up with As an aside, yes - I am an INFJ; I have been typed as such by Jungian theoreticians / analysts and have also, through my own study of Jung's Vol. 6, been able to reach the same conclusion. That aside...

I feel that when dealing with an INFJ, we enter a bit of a grey area when it comes to emotions. You can probably use that Te of yours to understand / clarify what I'm saying far better than I can. Here's the thing - Fe extraverts all the emotional content we have, often meaning that we're devoid of any internal 'feelings', so although we appear to be emotional externally we're actually quite 'still' internally. It is because of this innate detachment from internal emotional states that I can identify with E5. I believe this is why we make excellent counsellors; creating that defensive gulf between client and counsellor comes naturally. Even if my own family and friends are losing their shit emotionally, I am able to completely detach and do whatever it is that needs to be done.

As bizarre as it may sound, it is my experience that INTJs and ENTJs experience more emotional content internally than we INFJs do. I know that if my Fe isn't engaged I am one massively aloof arsehole. It feels like a sort of void; I feel as though something is missing. I'm married to an ENFJ and we have the most hilarious conversations pertaining to how we 'feel' about stuff:

Me: "How are you feeling today?"

Wife: "Er... ok, yes. Good! Very good!"

Wife: "How are you?"

Me: "Er... yeah. I mean. I...

Yeah."

Welcome to an Fe household

You're right, of course - I'm not an E5. I think E9 is probably apt, though I'll remain open to other possibilities until I nail it.

Cheers
    Likes Kullervo liked this post

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

(I had to do this)

03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

No you didn't.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pmj85 View Post
    No you didn't.

There's no crying in Canadian sketch-comedy!
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

I'm British! Your comedy is irrelevant to me - we are the masters of teh funnies