• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Trouble Ascertaining my Enneagram Type

pmj85

Upon reflection, I realised that "- Your blind spot is that you can be so focused on what is positive that you can miss the wisdom that comes from experiencing and understanding negative emotions and end up creating conflict by avoiding it " isn't so much me; I do indeed take wisdom from negative things, but I'm inclined to immediately put a positive spin on it. I see negatives as lessons.

So we can cross that one off the list.

Thanks for all your help :)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I do indeed take wisdom from negative things, but I'm inclined to immediately put a positive spin on it. I see negatives as lessons.

This is regarded as a 792 thing I think

pmj85

This is regarded as a 792 thing I think

Whelp, I'm definitely not a 7! I have the same wanderlust, but I don't have the drive (or at least haven't had in the past) to do much about it.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Whelp, I'm definitely not a 7! I have the same wanderlust, but I don't have the drive (or at least haven't had in the past) to do much about it.

I meant 7, 9 or 2, not the tritype. So I would say it's a 9 thing in your case.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi all,

Before I go any further, I’d like to state that I am unquestionably an INFJ. I mention this in the event of the MBTI / Enneagram having some kind of proven correlation. With that in mind…

I've been having some trouble nailing down my enneagram type. I recently typed this up on another forum:

TL;DR – I thought I may be a five because I exhibit many of the traits, though after frolicking gaily trough some of the five sections of forums it became painfully obvious that they’re a far more intelligent, analytical bunch than I am.

The test at enneagram.net has me pegged as a 9. In fact, it proffered two results – nine and… er, nine. So that would seem pretty conclusive ;p I may yet purchase the full test.

I just don’t ‘get’ the core motivations / fears. I can get behind indolence being my vice, but at what point does that stop being dominant Ni and begin being an enneagram trait? Also, I’m not as conflict avoidant as the descriptions would have you believe. I certainly don’t look for conflict – and I can be pretty blind to it when it only affects myself – but anyone crossing my friends or family will be dealt with mercilessly.

Looking at the description here:

Enneagram Personality Type 9: The Peacemaker

There are so, so many things that make me screw my nose up in objection. I assume I’m easy going, yet my wife tells me that I’m an argumentative git who will readily call people out on their bullshit, though she concedes that I am typically very diplomatic about it (unless I know the person well).

I’m accepting to a degree, but overall I much prefer that people leave me the hell alone. When I /have/ to deal with someone I'm typically warm and accepting, though sometimes it's very difficult for my to disguise my contempt. Not usually aimed at the person in question, but at having to expend time and energy dealing with such an inane pursuit. Idle chatter, for example.

It's also stated that nines are down to earth. Ha! I'm floating around in the stratosphere somewhere. Also perhaps worthy of note is that people tend to perceive that I am incredibly confident, but quietly so. When she first met me, my wife had no idea that at my core I had crippling self esteem issues. Most people have no idea that up until recently I had absolutely zero confidence... I even managed to fool an audience 200 strong during one public speaking event; on the photos I look absolutely nonchalant - in reality I was bricking myself so hard I thought I'd pass out... FWIW.

Ugh, I dunno. I could sit here and ramble on forever and a day – it wouldn’t get me anywhere.

9w8? Typically chilled out, will readily take a stand when required. Please help - I'm completely dumbfounded :(

[EDIT] I've been told that I'm a six because I turn to others for help... but isn't that A) normal and B) probably linked to Fe first and foremost?

My test results were pretty conclusively 8. That was wrong. Some people questioned it here, so it led me to do further investigation. I didn't figure it out until I got to understanding all of the types pretty well and had a professional assessment done by these guys. I did the one with the interview to make absolutely sure but the enneacards test did in fact result in the correct type. It was the only one I took that did.

Some of the exemplar videos on site are pretty good. You could look at those. For example:

Type 9s

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=98

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=106

Type 6s

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=107

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=97