• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] 964, 469, 649, etc: the Seeker tritype

This is so relatable it almost hurts.
I typed as a 946 for a long time, then had to concede that I'm a 3-fixer. "Wanting to be special", I was told, is more an attachment thing. For actual Fours/fixers it's more about authentic identity and expression, there's actually an indifference to whether one is "special" or not. The focus is more about honing in on one's true self, looking for one's realest identity, rather that just being weird to stand out or get attention.

I used to ponder at the thought of me possibly being an e3 rather than an e4 for a time, but I don't have the overly ambitious nature of an e3. I am only ambitious when it comes to something that I take interest in and is a representation of who I am and can care less about anything else. I want to be successful, but I don't want to sacrifice my authenticity in order to reach that goal. I agree that many claiming to be an e4 are probably mistyped for that reason of trying to be as different as possible than actually being their authentic self.

Licoricetwist

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi, I'm new to the Forum, dabbling in Enneagram and new to Tritypes. I know I'm INFP in Jungian type, and understand how that is affected by stress, development, etc.

I used to think I was 4w5. Seemed to fit in the first few decades. Now I wonder about 9w1, but that seems more my mother than me. (Oh-oh!)

I did Rouskyrie's quiz (very interesting!) which gives me 469. 'Seeker' sounds good as a label, SearchingforPeace says many things I relate to.

But where please are the descriptions you guys are referencing? I'd love to read and discover what fits. As I wait I'll carry on exploring (tomorrow, as it's late in this time zone). And if Tritypes are a valid "thing", do they change over time? I know MBTI doesn't, and so I presume Enneagram core type doesn't...

I don't see any mention in *anything* I've read about how age influences type understanding, though I understand healthy vs unhealthy. It *feels* as though I've moved from 4 in my adult years (poetry my main creative outlet) towards 9 in maturity. I saw someone else's post in this thread speaking of wanting to develop more 9 in her tritype, which used to be my aim. 'Balance' was a favourite word though once felt very elusive. Self-control was self-defense. I'm not so sure what I've got is what I expected! But neither does that mean I want to be turbulent again....

If I'm getting the feel of this tritype right (through these posts), you may be interested in a recent poem I've written about the experience of finding balance....

Journal

From a Vineyard shop of long ago,
this cover (soft with amber leather)
holds pages worn in edge and ink.

“… last night beneath the milky way
we swam in the lagoon. The
water slid like silk against my skin
and phosphorescence swirled about…”

Each day was huge – aglow or gloom:
dark and crashing seas splintered the
bright glory of the sun; we danced
on windswept slopes which yet hid
razor crags and loneliness.

New entries scarce as decades pass,
page on empty page stares back,
watch untroubled days slip by –

“… called Mom tonight, and
heard about her flowers…”

Not bright, not black. A sheltered sea
lies flat beneath the same old,
same old sunset; sand and seaweed
edge the rise and fall of lifescapes,
crowded with experience worn thin.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi, I'm new to the Forum, dabbling in Enneagram and new to Tritypes. I know I'm INFP in Jungian type, and understand how that is affected by stress, development, etc.

I used to think I was 4w5. Seemed to fit in the first few decades. Now I wonder about 9w1, but that seems more my mother than me. (Oh-oh!)

I did Rouskyrie's quiz (very interesting!) which gives me 469. 'Seeker' sounds good as a label, SearchingforPeace says many things I relate to.

But where please are the descriptions you guys are referencing? I'd love to read and discover what fits. As I wait I'll carry on exploring (tomorrow, as it's late in this time zone). And if Tritypes are a valid "thing", do they change over time? I know MBTI doesn't, and so I presume Enneagram core type doesn't...

I don't see any mention in *anything* I've read about how age influences type understanding, though I understand healthy vs unhealthy. It *feels* as though I've moved from 4 in my adult years (poetry my main creative outlet) towards 9 in maturity. I saw someone else's post in this thread speaking of wanting to develop more 9 in her tritype, which used to be my aim. 'Balance' was a favourite word though once felt very elusive. Self-control was self-defense. I'm not so sure what I've got is what I expected! But neither does that mean I want to be turbulent again....

If I'm getting the feel of this tritype right (through these posts), you may be interested in a recent poem I've written about the experience of finding balance....

Journal

From a Vineyard shop of long ago,
this cover (soft with amber leather)
holds pages worn in edge and ink.

“… last night beneath the milky way
we swam in the lagoon. The
water slid like silk against my skin
and phosphorescence swirled about…”

Each day was huge – aglow or gloom:
dark and crashing seas splintered the
bright glory of the sun; we danced
on windswept slopes which yet hid
razor crags and loneliness.

New entries scarce as decades pass,
page on empty page stares back,
watch untroubled days slip by –

“… called Mom tonight, and
heard about her flowers…”

Not bright, not black. A sheltered sea
lies flat beneath the same old,
same old sunset; sand and seaweed
edge the rise and fall of lifescapes,
crowded with experience worn thin.

Here are the tritype descriptions most are referring to in this thread.

One can google tritype and get even visual evidence of tritypes (someone made instagrams).

But reading through the 27 tritype archetypes (each of which with 6 variations, further made different with wings and instinctual stack) can help a lot.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
This seems to me a tritype that is fairly unhealthy and usually mired in self-doubt and anxiety. Why? 4-6-9s are usually phobic six, and the phobic six tends to lack self-confidence, and fears being without guidance and being different from others. The 9 fears discord and longs for peace. These two conflict with the 4's desire for authenticity and individuality, and are magnified by the 4's tendency toward strong emotions. Especially in the absence of a guiding figure/entity, I think 4-6-9s tend to be immobilized by a tug of war of the enneatypes, always seeking a tunnel light at the end of the tunnel.

Licoricetwist

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm also exploring 4-5-9 as a tritype, having stumbled across it somewhere. 4-5-9 could describe my life's journey. Weighing up between 4w5 or 9w1 as core type, but each time round my thoughts change. Seeming like a 4 brought up in a 5/9 environment (books, learning, and avoiding emotions), invisible middle of 5 children and the only 'arty' one. In line with what Stargaze comments, finding my authentic self rather than being 'as different as possible'.

4-6-9s are usually phobic six, and the phobic six tends to lack self-confidence, and fears being without guidance and being different from others. The 9 fears discord and longs for peace. These two conflict with the 4's desire for authenticity and individuality, and are magnified by the 4's tendency toward strong emotions. Especially in the absence of a guiding figure/entity, I think 4-6-9s tend to be immobilized by a tug of war of the enneatypes, always seeking a tunnel light at the end of the tunnel.

The comment by [MENTION=29457]Abendrot[/MENTION] about phobic 6 is helpful in my search but not definitive. My identification with 5 might be my wing + family background rather than who I am. Though of course background plays a role in who we are!

I have a book 'The Enneagram Made Easy' (Renee Baron) which though lightish (cartoons and bulleted lists) seems to say what I've read elsewhere but more clearly and economically, both positives and negatives. And it has a section on 'N as children' which is helpful. Also the descriptions of the relation to both wings and arrows movement in terms of effect on behaviour & feeling.

The current political discord has me divided between wanting to withdraw completely (5? 9?), and wanting to do something that is in line with my values in spite of those values NOT being in line with the establishment's (4?). My poetry is about relationships (with myself, God, & others) and only rarely about 'issues' - when I do, they are from a subjective perspective from putting myself in another's shoes (eg An End to Summer). I stop myself from imaging all that might happen by simply praying it doesn't and carrying on doing whatever seems the best thing for now. :unsure:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
This seems to me a tritype that is fairly unhealthy and usually mired in self-doubt and anxiety. Why? 4-6-9s are usually phobic six, and the phobic six tends to lack self-confidence, and fears being without guidance and being different from others. The 9 fears discord and longs for peace. These two conflict with the 4's desire for authenticity and individuality, and are magnified by the 4's tendency toward strong emotions. Especially in the absence of a guiding figure/entity, I think 4-6-9s tend to be immobilized by a tug of war of the enneatypes, always seeking a tunnel light at the end of the tunnel.

Personally- I feel that this is a tritype that- could be percieved as internally unstable- maybe unstable is not the best word-but it might explain why this tritype can frequently look unhealthy to some.

9 is all about peace- 4 and 6 are reactive, generally highly internally emotive types. 9 is all about peace of mind- 4 is constantly bringing up challenges to self image- and 6 is constantly demanding reactions to the environment, taking from the environment, expanding- and internalizing problems.

So you have 9 trying to keep the peace and the other two types badgering- constantly poking at the 9- attempting to undermine it with their own mentalities- which can be threatening to the 9- can stress it out to the point where eiher you will see cracks to the 9s surface as they attempt to quickly and painlessly supress information that is deemed problematic and threatening by the other types in its tritype. Most of the time- especially if 9 is the dominant type- most of this attempt/work to supress- 'deal with'- explore(because eventually, I think, if a suggestion from either 4 or 6 is peristant enough the tritype, even if 9 focused, will HAVE to explore it)- anyways, if 9 is dominant, most of this will happen internally. Cracks will still appear in times when this type is given too much information to process- more quickly with 9 dominance since they already have a low tolerance for it- but with 4 and 6 doms too. 9 might appear more irregular and confusing though. The other two types if they are dominant might be able to sort of better accept and identify/create an identity around their 'questioning'- they might appear even more unhealthy/unstable- but their ability to idenfity- accept that at least externally as 'who they are is probably pretty helpful.

Anyways. Just some thoughts for now.

Licoricetwist

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting thoughts, thank you [MENTION=29687]Eskimo2[/MENTION]

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Personally- I feel that this is a tritype that- could be percieved as internally unstable- maybe unstable is not the best word-but it might explain why this tritype can frequently look unhealthy to some.

9 is all about peace- 4 and 6 are reactive, generally highly internally emotive types. 9 is all about peace of mind- 4 is constantly bringing up challenges to self image- and 6 is constantly demanding reactions to the environment, taking from the environment, expanding- and internalizing problems.

So you have 9 trying to keep the peace and the other two types badgering- constantly poking at the 9- attempting to undermine it with their own mentalities- which can be threatening to the 9- can stress it out to the point where eiher you will see cracks to the 9s surface as they attempt to quickly and painlessly supress information that is deemed problematic and threatening by the other types in its tritype. Most of the time- especially if 9 is the dominant type- most of this attempt/work to supress- 'deal with'- explore(because eventually, I think, if a suggestion from either 4 or 6 is peristant enough the tritype, even if 9 focused, will HAVE to explore it)- anyways, if 9 is dominant, most of this will happen internally. Cracks will still appear in times when this type is given too much information to process- more quickly with 9 dominance since they already have a low tolerance for it- but with 4 and 6 doms too. 9 might appear more irregular and confusing though. The other two types if they are dominant might be able to sort of better accept and identify/create an identity around their 'questioning'- they might appear even more unhealthy/unstable- but their ability to idenfity- accept that at least externally as 'who they are is probably pretty helpful.

Anyways. Just some thoughts for now.

Interesting. Your ideas are similar to mine, but more fleshed out. I suppose what you are saying is that the tritypes within the 469 archetype are generally divided on the inside (Maybe "divided" is the better word than "unstable"), with 9 attempting to anchor the other two. This being in contrast to most tritypes, in which the enneatypes tend to work cohesively. Maybe, if the core is 9, the appearance on the surface is tranquil like that of other 9s, but this tranquility masks a turbulence, sort of like a dormant volcano.

Would you be a 964 by the way?

Licoricetwist

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would you be a 964 by the way?
Thank you [MENTION=29457]Abendrot[/MENTION]. I don't know. I feel a strong connection with 4, especially when younger, say before age 40. If 9 is true of me, it is hard-won rather than intrinsic. The external tranquility, though - a bit like a swan gliding seemingly effortless but paddling furiously below the surface. I think my husband's family and culture is 6, and my background more like 5 or 9. Becomes hard to untangle the various influences over time. I read somewhere that one should reply in the way that seemed right when you were under age 25. Is that the general approach? Does finding one's Tritype work on the same principle?

Fragmented and intensly whole -
Content and wise and desolate -
Too much trouble to notice, or know.

How does one know what fits properly and what is wishful thinking? It's strange, because I know deep down that INFP is right though I'm maybe not typical (several out-of-preference T scores in the Step 2). Which might tend me towards 964 or 946. I relate to the inner sense of division, expecially when in my 20s.

I'm reading through the rest of the 27 (my brain getting full of too many words! :shock:) and now wonder about 259 and 459. Which would mean I'm in the wrong thread and should enquire elsewhere? I could print out the 27 as 'cards' and sort them in order of what feels right... I keep leaving it to one side, hoping that next time when I read the right answer will pop out! :huh:

Ayuhime

Hmmm.... Core 9 is painfully obvious to me by now, as well as 4 being quite likely, but I have yet to know my head-fix for sure. This tritype really resonates with me, though? A constant doubting of self and others is a thing, though I don't think I am a really dependable person, I fear intimacy and having other people's trust and burdens on me because I feel like I would fail? Would that lead more towards 7? I am not exactly a "positive thinker" though....

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
964 sp/so here.

Triple doubting fits me well. I doubt others, I doubt ideas, I doubt myself over and over and again and am one of the most indecisive people I know cause of it. It can be my feelings, whether something I did is good or not, what my favorite things are, etc.

I feel like I'm in a conflict with myself. My reactive 4 and 6 are angsty and want to vent, but my 9 makes me casually shove all my feelings inside to avoid drama and vulnerability(SP too I think). So usually I'm optimistic and chill on the outside, but on the inside is a swarm of anxiety. Also, double attachment and 4 feels kind of weird. My 4 wants to have a unique identity, and my 6 and 9 are like, "Meh, I'm just a plain old average gal." My 4 makes me search for my identity, and yet it's hard to find my identity cause I'm go with the flow and interested in so many things. It's hard to slap a label on myself, but I guess I don't need to.

"The 964 is plagued with indecision too and can look like a 6 but they are not as inclined to seek opinions from others. They just avoid the conflict hoping it will resolve itself." That's super me. I'm often swimming in indecision, and yet I don't go to many people when I'm doing so because I feel more secure dealing with things on my own, which is mostly about vulnerability and privacy. My 6 is always worrying about things going wrong, but my 9 saves the day and thinks everything will work out eventually.

The name "Seeker", I don't mind that nickname. I'm someone who has a thirst for knowledge of all kinds, and I wonder who I am a lot, what my place is in the world.

saskiazaaza

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm 496 SX/SP as well

I doubt myself , my relationship , my friends , and i doubt too much

Especially , i'm 4w3 SX too. I can really reactive but i don't like get into conflict and drama. Sometimes , i can repress my feelings. Thx to SP too.
Then , i'm optimist and pessimist at same time ;-;

MattWll

MBTI Type
idk
Enneagram
"Well, it makes sense for me to belong to the tritype with the most doubt." Yea, i'm too)

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am pretty confident about having both 4 and 6 in my tritype. In terms of tritype descriptions, I think that 469 might be most fitting; however, I don't particularly relate to 9 as a type all that well on its own or its relationship to anger.

I'm a doubter. Whenever I make decisions, I'm never completely sure whether I've made the right one, which causes me to second-guess myself. I also doubt the reality and any unsaid intentions. Since I'm so uncertain about so many things, I always assume and expect for the worst to happen, and try my best to make preparations.

Am I as much of a doubter as most 469s? I'm not quite sure. I believe I'm quite self-aware regarding what I want and my feelings, even though I tend to make wrong decisions quite often. I'm quite indecisive, but there are certain things I am very decisive and stubborn about in my decisions.

I think that the nickname "Seeker" fits me decently. I seek knowledge, both of myself and of the world, and I seek security. I seek answers to my questions, even if I don't always believe them.