User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

Post 5, how do you deal with your emotions

This question has intrigued me, how do 5s generally experience and reflect on their emotions? I have this odd habit of rationalizing them, then analyzing them by "dissecting" to understand their origin (linked with the idea of detachment in 5s). Although I think it doesn't enable me to fully experience them.

Looking forward to replies with enthusiasm
    Last edited by infiniterandomness11; 08-29-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    “A faint clap of thunder; Clouded skies; Perhaps rain comes – if so, will you stay here with me?”

Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

'Know thyself'

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by infiniterandomness11 View Post
    This question has intrigued me, how do 5s generally experience and reflect on their emotions? I have this odd habit of rationalizing them, then analyzing them by "dissecting" to understand their origin (linked with the idea of detachment in 5s). Although I think it doesn't enable me to fully experience them.
    I try to run them to ground also, by figuring out the cause. This is usually enough to diffuse them. I probably don't experience them fully, but just as well. The alternative has always seemed far worse.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE

Looking forward to replies with enthusiasm

I've pretty much gotten to the point where I am not entirely sure I remember what emotions feel like. I seem to recall as a child having some sort of sensations in the pit of my stomach that I don't appear to experience anymore. I'm pretty sure that they "sneak up on me" at times, but on a regular day-to-day basis, I honestly don't notice any physiological indications that I am feeling much of anything. That sort of makes me wonder how it would feel to be constantly flooded with emotions all the time.

MBTI
    TiNi
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so

I definitely analyze my emotions. I never act on them without first trying to understand what brought about my current feeling(s), and any conclusions/implications I can draw from them. If it seems illogical or I don't like where they're coming from (lol), then I ignore them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

At my core, I'm a very emotional type. But I find myself doing this 5 dissection/detachment pretty soon after my emotions start to feel 'strong.' It frustrates the hell out of me because I often feel like I've defused them before I can use them to create art. By the time I've externalized them, it often comes out like, "Well, I was feeling this due to this and this, etc" which makes for a pretty dry presentation. Arg. (That's why it's often better for me to express my feelings in visual art over my natural inclination toward language because it's less rational that way.)

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

yo. not sure i'm a 5 but i just tested highly for it on that enneagram test post.

can you help me figure it out?

i usually notice i am feeling icky in my stomach when something hurtful/bad has happened. i remember always doing this, even as a child. after i notice the yucky feeling has been around for, say, 5 to 15 minutes usually, i then think to myself, "self, what happened 5 to 15 minutes ago to bother me?" and i can then trace it back to the said event.

then i can start processing the event. i usually somehow externalize this part of it. when i was little, i would talk out loud to myself to work it out. now i usually engage a friend to help me. this part of the process takes about 15 to 30 mins for a minor trigger/issue, and up to days or weeks for bigger issues.

any feedback?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It depends on the emotion. I allow myself to feel positive emotions, but I don't act on them. Negative ones I am forced to feel, but I express them only in imagination and then I analyze them. I think the latter is a mistake because it doesn't resolve any emotions but keeps them pent up. None of the answers to either problem (not expressing positive emotions, or keeping negative emotions pent up) is to be found in JCF or MBTI or any other typology.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    It depends on the emotion. I allow myself to feel positive emotions, but I don't act on them. Negative ones I am forced to feel, but I express them only in imagination and then I analyze them. I think the latter is a mistake because it doesn't resolve any emotions but keeps them pent up. None of the answers to either problem (not expressing positive emotions, or keeping negative emotions pent up) is to be found in JCF or MBTI or any other typology.
    I'm reading a great book by Pennebaker called Opening Up: the healing power of expressing emotions. He has so much useful stuff about processing emotions and in particular traumatic events such as bereavement or traumas. Basically talking or writing about traumas makes a person feel worse at the time but makes them measurably healthier six months down the line; bottling things up is bad for your health. And the best processing occurs where emotions and events are both discussed as this makes cross links in the brain. I've not finished reading it but it's great so far.

What would acting on positive emotions look like, to you?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    I'm reading a great book by Pennebaker called Opening Up: the healing power of expressing emotions. He has so much useful stuff about processing emotions and in particular traumatic events such as bereavement or traumas. Basically talking or writing about traumas makes a person feel worse at the time but makes them measurably healthier six months down the line; bottling things up is bad for your health. And the best processing occurs where emotions and events are both discussed as this makes cross links in the brain. I've not finished reading it but it's great so far.

What would acting on positive emotions look like, to you?
    I don't know, but I'll certainly think about it.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I don't know, but I'll certainly think about it.
    I try to smile a lot, laugh a lot, that kind of thing. Saying thank you to people for any small thing is also a good way of drip feeding positive emotions out. Or describing why I like something or when something works well, that kind of thing.
    For the negative ones, I will often attach the negative emotion to a more trivial 'carrier' reason, so I might get openly cross with the photocopier machine at work but underneath I'm expressing an anger about some other issue. Or if I'm sad or distracted I will let myself be that way, within reason, rather than forcing myself to look happy and jolly other people along.