User Tag List

First 1321222324 Last

Results 221 to 230 of 231

  1. #221
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I look at it more as finding the few key items that are essential to the type, as opposed to the "personality traits" which are kind of extraneous. For instance, an essential feature of e9 is wanting a peaceful state of mind. An inessential feature is wanting to "make peace" between other parties. Making peace is just one of a multitude of ways that an e9 might react to conflict, along with simply avoiding the conflict.

    So if Lady X's primary issue is avoiding anger to maintain a peaceful state of mind, then she is e9. If it is not her primary issue, it still might be her main way of dealing with anger, while she otherwise usually reacts to her fears about the world as an e7. The nifty thing about tritype is that you don't really have to care which is your main type, because you've defined how you react in any of the grief/fear/anger cases. I list e3 as the last of my tritype, but I still find insight from being aware of it: I react to the grief of not getting along with people not by trying to be helpful (e2) or looking for that one person who will love me as I really am (e4), but by trying to be the kind of person that anyone might love/admire (e3).
    that is not my primary issue at all. i do not relate to the idea that I'm repressing anger to keep the peace. i do however often naturally diffuse it and
    am often very peaceful.

    I'm not afraid of anger...mine or anyone else's. my instinct is to strip it down and figure out what the underlying issue is and deal with it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  2. #222
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_X View Post
    that is not my primary issue at all. i do not relate to the idea that I'm repressing anger to keep the peace. i do however often naturally diffuse it and
    am often very peaceful.

    I'm not afraid of anger...mine or anyone else's. my instinct is to strip it down and figure out what the underlying issue is and deal with it.
    I understand that, but e9s are kind of weird: we ALL say we don't have any anger issues, that we aren't afraid of anger, etc. The trick is looking at your typical reactions. E.g., do you let an issue go until it's far too late to deal with it, and then you're angry because it hasn't been dealt with?

    Kind of like your thread title: an e9 eventually realized, "Holy shiz, I really DO do that ..."

    My main point is that it's not an EASY question. The instinctive answer is often not the correct answer: there is an unconscious behavior/reaction that feels like it happens TO YOU, when it is really something caused BY YOU (however indirectly).

    I'm not saying that you are or aren't an e9. I'm just giving you my insights as to what being an e9 feels like to me, and why it was so hard to type myself: Uumlau's Enneagram?
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes Lady_X liked this post

  3. #223
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I understand that, but e9s are kind of weird: we ALL say we don't have any anger issues, that we aren't afraid of anger, etc. The trick is looking at your typical reactions. E.g., do you let an issue go until it's far too late to deal with it, and then you're angry because it hasn't been dealt with?

    Kind of like your thread title: an e9 eventually realized, "Holy shiz, I really DO do that ..."

    My main point is that it's not an EASY question. The instinctive answer is often not the correct answer: there is an unconscious behavior/reaction that feels like it happens TO YOU, when it is really something caused BY YOU (however indirectly).

    I'm not saying that you are or aren't an e9. I'm just giving you my insights as to what being an e9 feels like to me, and why it was so hard to type myself: Uumlau's Enneagram?
    yes i understand that...which is why it's all so hard.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  4. #224
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I understand that, but e9s are kind of weird: we ALL say we don't have any anger issues, that we aren't afraid of anger, etc. The trick is looking at your typical reactions. E.g., do you let an issue go until it's far too late to deal with it, and then you're angry because it hasn't been dealt with?

    Kind of like your thread title: an e9 eventually realized, "Holy shiz, I really DO do that ..."

    My main point is that it's not an EASY question. The instinctive answer is often not the correct answer: there is an unconscious behavior/reaction that feels like it happens TO YOU, when it is really something caused BY YOU (however indirectly).

    I'm not saying that you are or aren't an e9. I'm just giving you my insights as to what being an e9 feels like to me, and why it was so hard to type myself: Uumlau's Enneagram?
    yes i understand that...which is why it's all so hard.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  5. #225
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    It is VERY rare for me to feel angry. I last felt it months ago for a split second, and last acted on it about 11 years ago.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  6. #226
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    I'm not saying i never get mad. i can have a temper. It's quick and fiery..not repressed.

    i.Just don't feel like i.have any issues there.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  7. #227
    I want my account deleted
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I understand that, but e9s are kind of weird: we ALL say we don't have any anger issues, that we aren't afraid of anger, etc. The trick is looking at your typical reactions. E.g., do you let an issue go until it's far too late to deal with it, and then you're angry because it hasn't been dealt with?

    Kind of like your thread title: an e9 eventually realized, "Holy shiz, I really DO do that ..."

    My main point is that it's not an EASY question. The instinctive answer is often not the correct answer: there is an unconscious behavior/reaction that feels like it happens TO YOU, when it is really something caused BY YOU (however indirectly).
    @uumlau! I've been trying to put the bolded into words for some time now re my e9 gf and some things I've been seeing and she's been surfacing and discussing with me. Specifically, that switch from BY YOU (reality) versus TO YOU (illusion).

    Question for you: is this shift of responsibility/attribution specifically an e9 thing, do you think? If so why do you think it happens (what is it about the e9 state that underlies this). If not, are there any specific ways that it would show up in an e9 that would be particularly flavored by that type? I would be most grateful to you for any insight you might have on this point. (and @Lady_X I don't want to hijack your thread so please feel free to let me know if I should take this line of inquiry elsewhere),

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I look at it more as finding the few key items that are essential to the type, as opposed to the "personality traits" which are kind of extraneous. For instance, an essential feature of e9 is wanting a peaceful state of mind. An inessential feature is wanting to "make peace" between other parties. Making peace is just one of a multitude of ways that an e9 might react to conflict, along with simply avoiding the conflict.
    From what I've seen, this is a crucial distinction - that an essential e9 feature is wanting to be in that state that the 9 will name as inner peace or something along those lines. And that the inessential part of "making peace" externally is only one possible strategy to try to get that inner peace. That makes so much sense and shows why it's useful to separate the essential from the inessential pieces (and speaking as a 6, we have so many different strategies, some of which are contradictory to each other, to try to get that illusion-security state that these kinds of distinctions become even more crucial. But the essential/inessential distinction seems important for the 9 too IMO)

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    do you think a lot of villains and people who turned "evil" started out as 9?
    No I do not. Absolutely not. I don't think villian-ness and/or evil can be traced to any one particular enneagram (or other) type.

    I feel like that road leads into the dysfunctional stereotyping I see all too often on this site. That said, I do know that you in particular, prpl, are not coming from a dysfunctional place in asking that question, you're just literally asking it because it occurred to you. Still, it can feed the fire of dysfunction which is way to hot here on the site as it is IMO. I hope that makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sometimes I feel like a villain because i'm a lot more cynical and feel more evil than I did as a kid. I thought I was gonna solve world hunger and that people were inherently good (still something I delude myself into believing from time to time), was gonna time travel help nazi prisoners (the ones in the camps) escape than travel further back and help slaves escape. of course none of that happened and unfortunately don't have such a power. now I just get angry when people yell at the clerk in the store over something the clerk has no control over, and i hope the customer gets kicked in the head or something.
    I'm confused by the rest of your comment about yourself. Meaning: you start out asking about 9s, then describe your own experiences and - aren't you a six? What's the connection you're seeing here?

  8. #228
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Werebudgie View Post




    No I do not. Absolutely not. I don't think villian-ness and/or evil can be traced to any one particular enneagram (or other) type.




    I'm confused by the rest of your comment about yourself. Meaning: you start out asking about 9s, then describe your own experiences and - aren't you a six? What's the connection you're seeing here?
    oh because i'm debating 8 or 9 in my tritype. But the last number in it. I disagree an idealistic person is more likely to become an evil villain vs a realistic person.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  9. #229
    I want my account deleted
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I disagree an idealistic person is more likely to become an evil villain vs a realistic person.
    Ah, okay. Well, I don't know what I think on that point overall. But I don't see 9s as any more idealistic than any enneagram type. The whole enneagram conceptual map seems to me to be about the loss of access to specific "Holy Ideas" (for me it's not ideas, so I would call it essences) and related development of coping mechanisms to make up for that loss/damage. So in that sense, I would think that ALL enneagram types have a sort of break from the essence to which we can be connected - and that break is similar in structure to losing idealism in the face of reality*. So I don't see any enneagram type as more or less idealistic or realistic than any other. The flavor is just different. IMO.

    *Edited to add: I don't think that the world of damage and lost access truly is reality, but I do think it presents as such in people's experiences in this broken world.

  10. #230
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Werebudgie View Post
    Ah, okay. Well, I don't know what I think on that point overall. But I don't see 9s as any more idealistic than any enneagram type. The whole enneagram conceptual map seems to me to be about the loss of access to specific "Holy Ideas" (for me it's not ideas, so I would call it essences) and related development of coping mechanisms to make up for that loss/damage. So in that sense, I would think that ALL enneagram types have a sort of break from the essence to which we can be connected - and that break is similar in structure to losing idealism in the face of reality*. So I don't see any enneagram type as more or less idealistic or realistic than any other. The flavor is just different. IMO.

    *Edited to add: I don't think that the world of damage and lost access truly is reality, but I do think it presents as such in people's experiences in this broken world.
    ah ok,, but if 9s seek harmony and it's just not happening, don't you think they'd be more like to go "screw you people, and blow up shit or cause a shooting?" out of resentment cause harm. i guess any type can do that, but i feel because they want harmony in society their down fall so to speak might be on a larger scale.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

Similar Threads

  1. Hey, I'm both an INTP and an ISFJ at times....how do I figure out who I really am?
    By DJAchtundvierzig in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 08:08 AM
  2. Am I really ISFP?
    By Dali in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 08:10 PM
  3. Am I really ENFx?
    By alcea rosea in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
  4. If a noob posts in this forum and no one reads it am I really here?
    By Delilah in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 06:13 PM
  5. Am I really INTP?
    By Luke in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO