User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Default Type 3 -- Need to be *told* if someone cares

People can show me through acts all they want that they care about me, but if they don't tell me they care about/love me (in a non-romantic way), then I have a really hard time accepting that they do. I really need people to tell me that they like what I'm doing, thinking I'm doing a good job, or that they just really do care about me. As an ENTP, however, I really don't open up to people very easily or become emotionally attached, and honestly if I'm not emotionally attached I don't care if they like what I'm doing or if they love me. I couldn't care less. But when I do become emotionally attached, it is very very important they tell me that they care about me or else I am sure they'll leave me, and I'm terrified of that.
    Do other type 3s have this problem, or have had experiences with people who were type 3 and had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbarrawr View Post
    People can show me through acts all they want that they care about me, but if they don't tell me they care about/love me (in a non-romantic way), then I have a really hard time accepting that they do. I really need people to tell me that they like what I'm doing, thinking I'm doing a good job, or that they just really do care about me. As an ENTP, however, I really don't open up to people very easily or become emotionally attached, and honestly if I'm not emotionally attached I don't care if they like what I'm doing or if they love me. I couldn't care less. But when I do become emotionally attached, it is very very important they tell me that they care about me or else I am sure they'll leave me, and I'm terrified of that.
    Do other type 3s have this problem, or have had experiences with people who were type 3 and had this problem?
    If you are sure of you being a type 3, you may also start entertaining the possibility that you are not an ENTP but another MBTI type.

Check my signature and notify me if you are interested in exploring, please.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Unfortunately 3's are rather uncommon here, so it might be difficult for you to find one to discuss this with. Nevertheless, 3 is part of my tritype and I do identify with it to a decent degree.

I occasionally have trouble with what you mentioned. Much more so in a work setting. External metrics, validations, etc are really important as it explicitly tells me, clearly if I am doing something right or wrong. Without it I can easily get stuck in the "they have said nothing... what do they think? Is this good enough?". I'm an E1 so I am very perfectionistic and am very very adverse to doing something wrong, so that is where my drive for this comes from.

With that said, it's impractical to always need external words of affirmation. Too strong of a need actually pushes people away and results in them actually disliking you. Personal development has to be done, and there needs to be a level of self reliance, and having faith that you are good enough, doing the right thing, and are valued by another person. It's absolutely fair to desire and want it every now and again (we all do), but there does need to be a balance. It comes with experience. There are some people that simply don't say very often (if at all) what they think of you, and as you mentioned only show it. That is how they do it. Since that is how they act, that's what we have to read into. It sucks because it's not how it's wanted, but it is still proof that you're valued.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Socionics
    ILI

Seems heavily Fe Tertiary over simply Type 3, though I imagine that the type would amplify the importance of Fe Tertiary's agenda.

In Socionics, another system, the ExTp's Fe is labeled the Hidden Agenda, which means that the type has an unconscious desire 'to be loved' (in the optimistic perspective, the base idea is that ExTp's simply want a response) by (all or most) others, which, when coupled with Fi Vulnerable, means that they prefer open expression and statements of love greatly over unspoken love that can be inferred from actions or similar sentiments (Fi Hidden Agenda, 'to love'). Putting this into play with the Social Recognition of the Three should, therefore, amplify it, in a way.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yeah I'm not sure if it's 3 either. Could be Fe, and more likely than not could be your 2 wing.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Seems heavily Fe Tertiary over simply Tyne 3, though I imagine that the type would amplify the importance of Fe Tertiary's agenda.
    I'm heavily fe-tert, though and I don't need to be told I'm loved or anything. Makes me feel awkward. For me it's more about the social code.

To the OP, I don't see 3 and ENTP as incompatible at all. Actually, the two types are often noted for correlating.

What you say sounds like a validation issue and may be due to the influence of your wings, 2 and 4. 2s need reciprocation of their feelings or they feel less-than and worthless. 4s feel that they'll be abandoned sooner or later and are often in dance between needing validation and being sure they're not worthwhile.

So it doesn't seem out of keeping with the image center, though I've never heard this directly attributed to 3s.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    I'm heavily fe-tert, though and I don't need to be told I'm loved or anything. Makes me feel awkward. For me it's more about the social code.
    "Loved" here is socially appreciated, that you hope people will like you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

3s seem to live off of praise. If you need to hear it verbally that makes me wonder if you are actually enfj 3, a rather common pairing. Fe doms usually demand verbal affirmation and excitement from others to the point of it getting obnoxious.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    "Loved" here is socially appreciated, that you hope people will like you.
    Still. I really expect people NOT to like me, and would be uncomfortable if they expressed their appreciation.

It's really more about making others comfortable so I don't feel uncomfortable, awkward, or mean. In my case.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    Still. I really expect people NOT to like me, and would be uncomfortable if they expressed their appreciation.

It's really more about making others comfortable so I don't feel uncomfortable, awkward, or mean. In my case.
    I find it rather strange that I can see you are interpreting the information in a rather subdued Fi approach, when what I was trying to describe was the -Fe perspective.

I imagine you read that and pictured someone close to you or a group of friends telling you that they greatly appreciate you, or some sort of deep sentiment being expressed where you are the focal point of the group's attention, which wasn't what I actually meant. -Fe for the ENTp is more focused on maintaining a positive, fun atmosphere where happier, more group-oriented emotions can be expressed without more deep sentiments that are seen as uncomfortable or over-the-top (Fi subdued), and making people think you are an enjoyable, fun person to be with. In this sense, it can be interpreted that "To be loved" means that the ENTp wishes for others to enjoy him or her, or at the very least like you as a friend. However, it is worth noting that the ENTp has been described by some Socionists as being rather susceptible to flattery.

-Fe = minimization or avoidance of negative emotions, prevention of quarrels, scandals, and other situations causing emotional instability, which is valued as more important than creation of positive emotional effect.
    In relation to the thread at hand, however, when involved in a romantic relationship and needing to be assured of another's feelings for them, the ENTp usually prefers spoken words to convey affection or love (preferably in a lighthearted manner).