First 12

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    However, it is worth noting that the ENTp has been described by some Socionists as being rather susceptible to flattery.

In relation to the thread at hand, however, when involved in a romantic relationship and needing to be assured of another's feelings for them, the ENTp usually prefers spoken words to convey affection or love (preferably in a lighthearted manner).
    I speak only from the Myers Briggs/JCF perspective, which is clearly a bit different in its interpretation from Socionics. It's not been made clear to me whether or not the two systems actually overlap, but I would likely not be and ENTp according to this here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I don't necessarily associate this with Fe, as many here are doing. It is commonly noted that ESTJs have a great need for positive verbal feedback, even though they may not be generous in giving it.

If there is any tie to type, then with being an image type, verbal feedback is more validating of WHO you are than acts which show someone cares for you (which is more about their feeling & manner of expression than YOUR identity). Which one is going to boost a self-image more? The one which directly describes you.
    Last edited by OrangeAppled; 07-19-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: clarity
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I identify with this. Affirmation is a useful metric for determining my own worth because it eliminates my personal bias. Internal praise seems so hollow and meaningless.

At work I went through a dry spell of sorts, during which I received virtually no feedback about my own performance, and it killed my motivation. A few weeks later when I received some praise from a couple different people it gave me a morale boost and even heightened my productivity, despite my aptitude not really changing much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Guy V. Malaxia View Post
    I identify with this. Affirmation is a useful metric for determining my own worth because it eliminates my personal bias. Internal praise seems so hollow and meaningless.

At work I went through a dry spell of sorts, during which I received virtually no feedback about my own performance, and it killed my motivation. A few weeks later when I received some praise from a couple different people it gave me a morale boost and even heightened my productivity, despite my aptitude not really changing much.
    Yes. I need to know how other people are evaluating what I do. Otherwise I can never be sure I'm doing whatever it is I have to do or that I'm doing it well.

That and it feels good to receive praise.
    The only way out is through. The faster you're in, the better.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Oh dear the e3s love praise and stuff responses.

Firstly everyone likes praise its external validation and we are all far too social a creatures not to be partial to it. Sure we'll quibble over form but everyone is partial to some form.

Secondly an e3 is an unconcious projection of societal expectations. Most things they do from the outside perspective scream “am I not everything you expect me to be?” The problem is that in order for them to search out praise they would have to be aware that that is what they crave. It requires a self awareness and mental health that would in all likelihood render such praise superfluous.

Look carbarrawr I would guess that somewhere along the line you developed trust issues. The solution is to control the trigger, it might be the lack of affirmation or it might be something that catalysis’s these feelings, then you need to learn to control it. People use various ways to control them be it mediation, a physical activity anything so long as you feel in control. You have my sympathies relying on the kind words of others sounds both stressful and isolating.
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

I'm a 9 but I'll answer since 3 is still my heart. Yes, I've always needed verbal approval or recognition. I constantly wonder what others think of me. I think this is also related to having inferior Fe.

words of affirmation might be your love language as well. see: love language book/test