• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Chemical Imbalances effecting Enneagrams

LadyRain

MBTI Type
INFJ
It stands to reason that chemical imbalances and mental/emotional health issues effect the results of Enneagram types. My question is to what degree. There are things written on unhealthy types verses healthy types but what if the enneagram "personality" of an individual can jump around according to mood/emotion state and mental/chemical interactions. I am having the worst time with this. I have a chemical imbalance that effects mood and anxiety (looks like a 6) but, it is not at all who I am; I'm sure of it. I am highly intellectual and have my feet firmly planted in what I "know" to be true (very much a 5) but was never this until after having to hold my own with my current husband, as a means to not be overtaken by his aggressive emotionally-fueled logic and reason stances he wields like a weapon in order to maintain control. I'm a bit of a 4 as well but, more from the emotional aspect of things. It's almost as if I arrange my environment to support the emotions I am trying to encourage, though the artist in me got buried by my mother who opposes such "fruitless endeavors". At one point I would have made myself a 9 but, I have learned that controversy can be a catalyst for growth. Help. I think I am so lost that I'll never find a starting point in sorting through it. Oh, One big thing about me. I cannot express what is going on in me through verbal means but, I can through written. I am good at painting and emotional and experiential landscape (and writing in general) allowing for an experience of the emotional, visual, and conceptual worlds I find myself swimming through (introvert). Anyway, again, help

á´…eparted

passages
It sounds like you're wanting to quantify something that can't be quantified. MBTI is not really well regarded in true "personality" metrics, and I honestly just treat it as fun for the most part. That said, it definitely stands to reason that a chemical imbalance in the brain will skew type. I thought I was INFJ, and 5w4 years back for quite a while (which in hindsight really is nonsense). Why? Due to mental issues on my end. I was able to see through most of it as I got older though due to be rather self aware. I saw that who I thought I was, was not who I truly was. Mostly what I focused on was dysfunctional me, because that's what I was and saw the vast majority of the time. Recently I learned the exact reason is/was bipolar disorder type II.

In my opinion, ones true type is how they are when they are in a neutral/positive state. Mental illnesses (legitimate ones) can and do change personality around.

I don't really have any word of advice other than try and find the neutral states that lead to a clear presence and accurate reflection of who you are. This isn't something that happens quickly, you learn this with time, patience, careful reflection, and feedback from others.

Also, keep in mind, at the end of the day, type is just a label. ;).

á´…eparted

passages

Alea_iacta_est

Granted I haven't looked much, but I don't see any citation to the publication that evaluated these levels. If it exists I'd very much like to see it. Either way, the fact that they don't have an outlink on this page makes the whole thing highly questionable to me. Which is why I don't regard it.

Yeah, I'm not trustworthy of it either. I brought it up to signify that the people at the Enneagram Institute have hypothesized this. There isn't any empirical study listed, and it stated many times that it is based off of a theoretical model that has yet to be tested properly. It's an interesting thought, however, but would lead to some questionable type dynamics with the different fluctuations of the chemicals in the brain.

á´…eparted

passages
Yeah, I'm not trustworthy of it either. I brought it up to signify that the people at the Enneagram Institute have hypothesized this. There isn't any empirical study listed, and it stated many times that it is based off of a theoretical model that has yet to be tested properly. It's an interesting thought, however, but would lead to some questionable type dynamics with the different fluctuations of the chemicals in the brain.

Well at least they are kinda honest about it then. I really would like to see it tested, as it could potentially validate or invalidate the theories outright, which would be ooooooooh so satisfying to see (regardless of the outcome).

LadyRain

MBTI Type
INFJ
So there are no real theories published out there talking about the variables then. Bummer.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Degree of debilitation can only be gauged subjectively, so whether and how much is predicted by enneagram would likely have to be determined on a case by case basis. Do you know the nature of your illness? If it's one with a notable trajectory (e.g. Bipolar Disorder), then I'd say to exclude all incidents involing those states. In fact, psychology calls them "sates" for a reason--they are normally huge deviances from the person's baseline. If, however, you note a persistently elevated sensitivity, outside of chemically-driven episodes, then you could consider that a "trait," which can be used to evaluate type.

LadyRain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Degree of debilitation can only be gauged subjectively, so whether and how much is predicted by enneagram would likely have to be determined on a case by case basis. Do you know the nature of your illness? If it's one with a notable trajectory (e.g. Bipolar Disorder), then I'd say to exclude all incidents involing those states. In fact, psychology calls them "sates" for a reason--they are normally huge deviances from the person's baseline. If, however, you note a persistently elevated sensitivity, outside of chemically-driven episodes, then you could consider that a "trait," which can be used to evaluate type.

That's pretty helpful (and common sense comfy too).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It stands to reason that chemical imbalances and mental/emotional health issues effect the results of Enneagram types. My question is to what degree. There are things written on unhealthy types verses healthy types but what if the enneagram "personality" of an individual can jump around according to mood/emotion state and mental/chemical interactions. I am having the worst time with this. I have a chemical imbalance that effects mood and anxiety (looks like a 6) but, it is not at all who I am; I'm sure of it. I am highly intellectual and have my feet firmly planted in what I "know" to be true (very much a 5) but was never this until after having to hold my own with my current husband, as a means to not be overtaken by his aggressive emotionally-fueled logic and reason stances he wields like a weapon in order to maintain control. I'm a bit of a 4 as well but, more from the emotional aspect of things. It's almost as if I arrange my environment to support the emotions I am trying to encourage, though the artist in me got buried by my mother who opposes such "fruitless endeavors". At one point I would have made myself a 9 but, I have learned that controversy can be a catalyst for growth. Help. I think I am so lost that I'll never find a starting point in sorting through it. Oh, One big thing about me. I cannot express what is going on in me through verbal means but, I can through written. I am good at painting and emotional and experiential landscape (and writing in general) allowing for an experience of the emotional, visual, and conceptual worlds I find myself swimming through (introvert). Anyway, again, help

Why do you call your emotions a chemical imbalance ? Do you think life's more fun as a robot ?

LadyRain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Why do you call your emotions a chemical imbalance ? Do you think life's more fun as a robot ?

Good question. The answer is that I have Melancholic depression with periodic major depressive episodes. I also have Complex post-traumatic stress disorder which makes me a bit bat shit crazy in the anxiety zone, if triggered. Other than that, I am a highly passionate, emotional creature that feels music while writing an inspiring idea, uses color to manipulate my mood, and cannot exist without the right ambience in my environment. I get overstimulated easily too so, managing the "correct" feel of the stimuli is important. I would never change any of this, just the negative or flat-lined stuff. :blush:

RiftsWRX

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3

My Ex-GF is a type 3w2/ISFJ.

For years, I suffered in this relationship with her during her time of the month. Hormones and chemical sensitivities are something she acknowledges in her self.

For years, I thought the solution was on her to take a pill.

Reality is, she's human, you know? MY problem in this was my type 2 neediness and co-dependency on her to always be 110%. She could never have a bad day.

Also, as is her type, she has no problems focusing (appearing withdrawn to me), as well as withdrawing to recharge; effectively needing periods of alone time just for her (the "I" in MBTI).

Obviously, knowing all of this now is moot. But for 5 years we would beat each other up, not really understanding what drove our needs and compulsions.

The moral, it may be all inter-related, because I dated someone who WAS sensitive during times of chemical changes, and had her own set of needs. But those align with the expectations of her personality in two typology systems. Down to the letter. Perhaps it's the chemical change that triggers that need, because she'd have no problem being the 110% any other time of the month.

Guess it's how you choose to look at it. Back then, I'd crucify her, blaming her for wanting to act on the needs of her personality. Today, I view it as part of the woman I still love, and part of what makes her uniquely her; embracing her personality and what drives it.

John Legend said it best.. "Perfect in her imperfections.".

It just took losing her to get to that point.