User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 42

  1. #1
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default Phobic enneagram 6 ignorance

    So I am a phobic/counterphobic 6. I am most likely a sp/sx 6w7. I tend to be a bit more phobic then counter-phobic though. However, the problem with me is that I constantly question myself. I constantly believe that I will mess things up, if I haven't done them before and this is a major problem for me. It is because of this, people often perceive me as a total dumb ass on school projects and at work. Also, even with things that I clearly am competent in, I also tend to still question myself, and don't tend to show much confidence in my abilities. It is because of this, that people often view me as a dumb ass who will clearly fuck things up, and someone whom is an ignoramus. Do the other phobic 6w7's have this problem?

    @Magic Qwan
    @skylights
    @Stansmith

    You folks might like this thread.

  2. #2
    Stansmith
    Guest

    Default

    I feel you on some things, although I don't think people view me as dumb or a fuck up. I'm good at maintaining my composure externally even when I'm overwhelmed, and I can even take the initiative on some of the things you've mentioned. Particularly school projects where it seems like the person I'm paired with doesn't want to be there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,783

    Default

    Not sure on my enneatype but I relate to people viewing me as a dumbass and believing I will mess things up.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #4
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    So I am a phobic/counterphobic 6. I am most likely a sp/sx 6w7. I tend to be a bit more phobic then counter-phobic though. However, the problem with me is that I constantly question myself. I constantly believe that I will mess things up, if I haven't done them before and this is a major problem for me. It is because of this, people often perceive me as a total dumb ass on school projects and at work. Also, even with things that I clearly am competent in, I also tend to still question myself, and don't tend to show much confidence in my abilities. It is because of this, that people often view me as a dumb ass who will clearly fuck things up, and someone whom is an ignoramus. Do the other phobic 6w7's have this problem?

    @Magic Qwan
    @skylights
    @Stansmith

    You folks might like this thread.
    Yes. People go out of their way to call me incompetent. It is all because of the fear I will mess up.

    Part of it seems to be poor sensing, too. I am a total klutz.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  5. #5
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    So, this is a bit of a complex one for me. In one way, yes; in another, no.

    My dad is an e5w6 539 INTP. I grew up with him quizzing my knowledge and testing my competence, and I took a lot of pride in succeeding. For what I assume is a multitude of reasons including both genetics and childhood environment, I've always been pretty competency-focused. Few things make me angrier than people assuming I can't do something, and I like to prove that I can. I spend probably too much time being concerned about being and being perceived as competent, and I take pride in people coming to me for knowledge and/or assistance.

    However... You can kind of see how this attitude is the reactive backswing to fear of being incompetent. I have an e9 friend at work, also ENFP, who could care less about a lot of the things I really put competency focus on. I've been there less time than she has but I can unload trucks myself... order... schedule... basically I can and have done every function in our department and it makes me feel secure that I can. Whereas I'm sure she could if she wanted, but she doesn't want to because she finds most of those things unpleasant. It doesn't seem to matter to her to not have the skill under her belt and it doesn't seem to bother her to have to ask for help, both of which would be frustrating and somewhat embarrassing to me.

    If anything, I probably come across as a bit of an ass in terms of competence, though I'm not quite on NT level

    So my reaction to this particular subject is more CP... But it's a reaction for sure, and I feel you about the core concern. I think people tend to see me as knowledgeable and competent because I spend a lot of time and energy focusing on and cultivating those skills, but I do tend to avoid and/or be super anxious about e3-like performance (and I share the sensotardedness) and therefore am not the one people seek out as a figurehead, which is occasionally disappointing but overall probably more comfortable for me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I feel you on some things, although I don't think people view me as dumb or a fuck up. I'm good at maintaining my composure externally even when I'm overwhelmed, and I can even take the initiative on some of the things you've mentioned. Particularly school projects where it seems like the person I'm paired with doesn't want to be there.
    I have PTSD, so to even be able to keep my job in the first place is a miracle. 9/10 of the mental health practitioners that I have talked to have told me that I am literally so fucked up that I need to be on disability until I can recover mentally. However, to get disability is just about impossible: You have to create a list of doctors/psychiatrists/psychologists/counselors that you have seen in the past, and they have to write a letter saying that you are as fucked up as you say that you are. Then, you have to officially apply for disability, and on a mental health issue you get rejected 99.9% of the time on your first time applying. So once you have been rejected, they ask that you go and see a disability lawyer to go and fight for your rights. The lawyer will then tell you that you need to have someone that you are currently seeing RIGHT NOW in this point in time to say that you are mentally fucked up, and if you don't your case pretty much has no chance. On top of that, you have to somehow not work or go to school for an entire year because it takes about a year to a year and a half to actually prove that you have the problems that you say you do, and to actually get the disability money to kick in. So in other words, you are getting on the disability in order to be able to receive mental health care and money to survive on while you are mentally fucked up, but you already have to have money to survive on and mental health care in order get the disability. It's the most fucked up process in the history of man kind.

    Anyway, I often look like I'm dumb ass at work because I will know how to do something and will know it so well that I could teach people how to do it. However, what I will do is to then question myself when people make fun of me, and then look like a fool who doesn't know what the hell I'm doing. I hate this SO MUCH! Oh, and it's all anxiety based as well, because when I take Xanax, this doesn't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Yes. People go out of their way to call me incompetent. It is all because of the fear I will mess up.

    Part of it seems to be poor sensing, too. I am a total klutz.
    Yeah, this happens to me too. People also enjoy getting a good laugh out of my anxiety. It really angers me to no end. I am no longer a klutz though because I went and saw a hypnotist and he taught me these present-moment exercises that taught me how to stay in the moment. This also REALLY helped me to develop my sensing function.

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    So, this is a bit of a complex one for me. In one way, yes; in another, no.

    My dad is an e5w6 539 INTP. I grew up with him quizzing my knowledge and testing my competence, and I took a lot of pride in succeeding. For what I assume is a multitude of reasons including both genetics and childhood environment, I've always been pretty competency-focused. Few things make me angrier than people assuming I can't do something, and I like to prove that I can. I spend probably too much time being concerned about being and being perceived as competent, and I take pride in people coming to me for knowledge and/or assistance.

    However... You can kind of see how this attitude is the reactive backswing to fear of being incompetent. I have an e9 friend at work, also ENFP, who could care less about a lot of the things I really put competency focus on. I've been there less time than she has but I can unload trucks myself... order... schedule... basically I can and have done every function in our department and it makes me feel secure that I can. Whereas I'm sure she could if she wanted, but she doesn't want to because she finds most of those things unpleasant. It doesn't seem to matter to her to not have the skill under her belt and it doesn't seem to bother her to have to ask for help, both of which would be frustrating and somewhat embarrassing to me.

    If anything, I probably come across as a bit of an ass in terms of competence, though I'm not quite on NT level

    So my reaction to this particular subject is more CP... But it's a reaction for sure, and I feel you about the core concern. I think people tend to see me as knowledgeable and competent because I spend a lot of time and energy focusing on and cultivating those skills, but I do tend to avoid and/or be super anxious about e3-like performance (and I share the sensotardedness) and therefore am not the one people seek out as a figurehead, which is occasionally disappointing but overall probably more comfortable for me.
    Well I sort of relate to this. I feel like if I do a task over and over again, with people watching me over and over again, I then gain confidence in my abilities and don't question myself any longer.

  7. #7
    Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    @The Great One yea, I am probably a mix of phobic and counterphobic. With people I do not know very well, I am phobic.

    So in the case of a school project, I would be phobic. Which would lead me to be extremely quite. I hate group settings anyways. But I also add to them thinking I can be flighty(or dumb or whatever...), cause I will make humour out of my own faults. I have stopped doing this though.

    You could just try telling yourself "I trust myself."

    I have recently started to do this...with everything. And I'm telling you...it's like the best thing I've ever done for myself. I immediately feel better. It doesn't fix the problem, but it is a check for my anxiety. It almost always goes away immediately after I tell myself this. The problem becomes more objective and managable for me as well.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

    Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

  8. #8
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I have PTSD, so to even be able to keep my job in the first place is a miracle. 9/10 of the mental health practitioners that I have talked to have told me that I am literally so fucked up that I need to be on disability until I can recover mentally. However, to get disability is just about impossible: You have to create a list of doctors/psychiatrists/psychologists/counselors that you have seen in the past, and they have to write a letter saying that you are as fucked up as you say that you are. Then, you have to officially apply for disability, and on a mental health issue you get rejected 99.9% of the time on your first time applying. So once you have been rejected, they ask that you go and see a disability lawyer to go and fight for your rights. The lawyer will then tell you that you need to have someone that you are currently seeing RIGHT NOW in this point in time to say that you are mentally fucked up, and if you don't your case pretty much has no chance. On top of that, you have to somehow not work or go to school for an entire year because it takes about a year to a year and a half to actually prove that you have the problems that you say you do, and to actually get the disability money to kick in. So in other words, you are getting on the disability in order to be able to receive mental health care and money to survive on while you are mentally fucked up, but you already have to have money to survive on and mental health care in order get the disability. It's the most fucked up process in the history of man kind.

    Anyway, I often look like I'm dumb ass at work because I will know how to do something and will know it so well that I could teach people how to do it. However, what I will do is to then question myself when people make fun of me, and then look like a fool who doesn't know what the hell I'm doing. I hate this SO MUCH! Oh, and it's all anxiety based as well, because when I take Xanax, this doesn't happen.



    Yeah, this happens to me too. People also enjoy getting a good laugh out of my anxiety. It really angers me to no end. I am no longer a klutz though because I went and saw a hypnotist and he taught me these present-moment exercises that taught me how to stay in the moment. This also REALLY helped me to develop my sensing function.



    Well I sort of relate to this. I feel like if I do a task over and over again, with people watching me over and over again, I then gain confidence in my abilities and don't question myself any longer.
    I recently got my survivor benefits from my late father extended because of being s7ill emotionally disturbed and having an autism diagnosis. I might try a hypnotist, but hypnosis is not something I'm sure can be done to me...
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  9. #9
    Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Few things make me angrier than people assuming I can't do something, and I like to prove that I can. I spend probably too much time being concerned about being and being perceived as competent, and I take pride in people coming to me for knowledge and/or assistance.

    However... You can kind of see how this attitude is the reactive backswing to fear of being incompetent. I have an e9 friend at work, also ENFP, who could care less about a lot of the things I really put competency focus on. I've been there less time than she has but I can unload trucks myself... order... schedule... basically I can and have done every function in our department and it makes me feel secure that I can. Whereas I'm sure she could if she wanted, but she doesn't want to because she finds most of those things unpleasant. It doesn't seem to matter to her to not have the skill under her belt and it doesn't seem to bother her to have to ask for help, both of which would be frustrating and somewhat embarrassing to me.

    If anything, I probably come across as a bit of an ass in terms of competence, though I'm not quite on NT level

    So my reaction to this particular subject is more CP... But it's a reaction for sure, and I feel you about the core concern. I think people tend to see me as knowledgeable and competent because I spend a lot of time and energy focusing on and cultivating those skills, but I do tend to avoid and/or be super anxious about e3-like performance (and I share the sensotardedness) and therefore am not the one people seek out as a figurehead, which is occasionally disappointing but overall probably more comfortable for me.

    I was in a rush before (as always) and didn't get to read your response til now. But God I seriously relate to this. I really like to be able to learn every single in n out of an organization. I still haven't worked in the maintenance department where I work, and I want to do it cause I know I will feel more secure.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

    Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

  10. #10
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I recently got my survivor benefits from my late father extended because of being s7ill emotionally disturbed and having an autism diagnosis. I might try a hypnotist, but hypnosis is not something I'm sure can be done to me...
    1) I doubt your a 7. I think you're a 6w7 sp/so.

    2)Next, most hypnotists don't hypnotize you in the classic way (i.e. the swinging pendulum). Instead it's more like they teach you a series of meditations, mind direction techniques, and present moment exercises. I will say they my hypnotist helped me way more then any psychologist or psychiatrist ever did.

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] Your enneagram type
    By Maverick in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 555
    Last Post: Today, 06:14 PM
  2. [Enneagram] Everything Enneagram by Susan Reynolds
    By LonestarCowgirl in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 05:40 AM
  3. [Enneagram] The Enneagram - Understanding Yourself and Others in Your Life (Helen Palmer)
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
  4. [Enneagram] The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Riso and Hudson)
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM
  5. [Enneagram] Enneagram Instinctual Subtypes
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO