• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] 5w6 vs 5w4: Differences?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enneagram experts of typoC, what are the differences between 5s with 4 wings and 5s with 6 wings? In a nutshell...

W

WhoCares

oh, asking for a expert. Okay I'll refrain from defiling this thread with my own thoughts then. Might lurk though and see what the experts think.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The difference is like the difference between humanities(5w4) and hard sciences(5w6).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh, asking for a expert. Okay I'll refrain from defiling this thread with my own thoughts then. Might lurk though and see what the experts think.

I was half-joking. I should have put experts in quotation marks. Please, I'd like to read what you have to say. All opinions are welcome, expert and novice.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The difference is like the difference between humanities(5w4) and hard sciences(5w6).

Would you mind elaborating a bit? I've read similar statements to this effect.

Alea_iacta_est

Well, for starters, the 5w4 is an internally conflicted type while the 5w6 is an unconflicted type.

The 5w4 is the Five that has strong bursts of emotions but doesn't know how to contain them or suppress them well. The 5 attempts to remain clear-headed and objective and thus begins trying to fight the emotions surfacing to remain objective.

The 5w6 isn't conflicted, and the Type 6 compliments the Type 5 due to its head type nature, but it does increase the amount of overall paranoia the 5 experiences.

But then add fixes and instinctual variants and the whole system fucks itself over.

Is one a 5 with a 4 wing or a 4 fix? Is it an sx 5w4 and thus better apt at emotions?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, for starters, the 5w4 is an internally conflicted type while the 5w6 is an unconflicted type.

The 5w4 is the Five that has strong bursts of emotions but doesn't know how to contain them or suppress them well. The 5 attempts to remain clear-headed and objective and thus begins trying to fight the emotions surfacing to remain objective.

The 5w6 isn't conflicted, and the Type 6 compliments the Type 5 due to its head type nature, but it does increase the amount of overall paranoia the 5 experiences.

So, essentially, the 5, primarily a thinking type, is plagued or conflicted by "touchy feelie" heart bullshit if they have a 4 wing, due to 4 primarily being a feeling type? Is it safe to to say that 5w4 is one of the most conflicted types in the enneagram?

Alea_iacta_est

So, essentially, the 5, primarily a thinking type, is plagued or conflicted by "touchy feelie" heart bullshit if they have a 4 wing, due to 4 primarily being a feeling type? Is it safe to to say that 5w4 is one of the most conflicted types in the enneagram?

Yeah. 4 also adds more creativity and originality which the 5 can harvest, but the emotionalism is put down like a rabid dog in the 5 until it surfaces again and stronger.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah. 4 also adds more creativity and originality which the 5 can harvest, but the emotionalism is put down like a rabid dog in the 5 until it surfaces again and stronger.

hence the emotional outbursts. Like shaking a soda bottle vigorously and repeatedly.

I'm seeing a lot of correlation between 5w4 and dominant Introverted Thinking.

Alea_iacta_est

hence the emotional outbursts. Like shaking a soda bottle vigorously and repeatedly.

I'm seeing a lot of correlation between 5w4 and dominant Introverted Thinking.

Type 5 is generally associated with Ti anyhow, along with some partial Ni and even smaller Te.

Interestingly, Type 4, which is often attributed to Fi and Ni, when paired with a dominant 5, would be either:

Ti(Fi) where Fi openly conflicts the dominant perspective due to its Demonic Personality Complex, and in Socionics this would be akin to the Role function Fi, which suppresses Lead Ti when engaged completely.

Ti(Ni) would be a lot more complementary, where Ni is presented as an irrational (not as in perceiving, but as in non-rational) feeling-ish function due to its presence with Type 4.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 5 is generally associated with Ti anyhow, along with some partial Ni and even smaller Te.

Interestingly, Type 4, which is often attributed to Fi and Ni, when paired with a dominant 5, would be either:

Ti(Fi) where Fi openly conflicts the dominant perspective due to its Demonic Personality Complex, and in Socionics this would be akin to the Role function Fi, which suppresses Lead Ti when engaged completely.

Ti(Ni) would be a lot more complementary, where Ni is presented as an irrational (not as in perceiving, but as in non-rational) feeling-ish function due to its presence with Type 4.

Thank you.

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't see Ni as anything like type 5. Type 5 is mainly characterized by the pursuit of logical understanding while Ni is more like inherent understanding, logical or otherwise.

Alea_iacta_est

I don't see Ni as anything like type 5. Type 5 is mainly characterized by the pursuit of logical understanding while Ni is more like inherent understanding, logical or otherwise.

Ni manifested in the Type 5 is usually in the Ni-Te mechanism, and since Ni's main priority is to discern the meaning behind dynamic events, it is applied to technical, mechanical information through aux Te to figure out the meaning and underlying connections within various systems of knowledge.

By the way, Type 5 wants knowledge primarily and to understand the reasons for things (both the meaning, and the logical systems that cause deviations).

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Ni manifested in the Type 5 is usually in the Ni-Te mechanism, and since Ni's main priority is to discern the meaning behind dynamic events, it is applied to technical, mechanical information through aux Te to figure out the meaning and underlying connections within various systems of knowledge.

By the way, Type 5 wants knowledge primarily and to understand the reasons for things (both the meaning, and the logical systems that cause deviations).

Ni is just a perspective, it has no real priority. It is too assured to correspond with type 5, which is always questioning.

Alea_iacta_est

Ni is just a perspective, it has no real priority. It is too assured to correspond with type 5, which is always questioning.

Figure of speech. (Ni's priority as in Ni's job/Ni's directive)

So because Ni produces assured answers to some questions sometimes, it therefore cannot be associated with type 5? Ni also must figure out the meaning of things when it is a conscious function, but it does so in an idiosyncratic way that is not carefully reasoned out like Ti but is instead conducted and then edited by Te to ensure the logical veracity of Ni's assessment. The Type 5's own quest for knowledge is created by the fact that the Type 5 finds security in knowledge due to a lack of knowledge in the environment, so Type 5's real correlations would befit functions that can actively discern the reasons and meanings behind the environment to protect the Type 5 in the environment. The Type 5's desire is to know what will happen and how it will happen, so that they can protect themselves, that is why they hoard knowledge, so that they can have as much information to predict what the environment will do so that they can be completely competent in the face of adversity poised by the environment. Ergo, Ti protects Type 5 by allowing him to rationalize the environment and build the basic framework for how reality is working, which is usually correct due to the logical fortitude of the Ti function, and Ni can protect (but is less correlated, Ti is the base correlation, of course) the Type 5 by being able to creatively discern what is going on behind the front the environment puts up. Type 5 questions everything because it is insecure about its environment, it always wants to know more so that it can be better prepared for the environment, it wants to be competent in the face of reality, for if it is not, it promotes its own insecurity, that the world is too dangerous and wild to be conducted by it.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Im not talking about liking one or the other but the way 5w4 thinks is less precise and better for humanities and 5w6 has more of a an exact and scientific feel.

That is, at least, my impression.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

[MENTION=19700]Fuzzy Conduit[/MENTION], [MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION] -- until the 5w4 matures and learns how to harvest the emotion, or ride the crests similar to "riding the grading curve" in high school or college so they don't have to study.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

fghw --

Malarkey. Ni is always questioning in order to define a unifying underlying framework.
So *there*! (stamps foot)