User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Default Is This Consistent With Type 3?

I am curious to know if what I did is consistent with being type 3.

I was set to get an A in a difficult Honors class. But the professor had a policy that you must attend a certain number of classes; regardless of your knowledge, if you missed more than a certain number, you could only get a B. I deliberately missed the number of classes to prevent me from getting an A because I don't like being conditioned, and I wanted to let him know (and I did) that I valued independence of behavior far more than grades.

Is this consistent with type 3? Because I'd rather go out in flames than adhere to something I'm opposed to. Such as manipulation. Because he didn't need me to be there; it was a power play.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Sounds more like just a value judgment to me.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    yupp

I dunno but that was. Stupid thing to do your professor probably didn't think that was what you were doing, and if he did didn't care
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I dunno but that was. Stupid thing to do your professor probably didn't think that was what you were doing, and if he did didn't care
    Well, I made sure he did. Very politely. I suspect he did not care, but it was something I had to do. For reasons of personal principles. I wanted to show that there is at least one person who objects to academic conditioning.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beyonce View Post
    Sounds more like just a value judgment to me.
    That's exactly what it is, but I thought that the Enneagram was into explaining certain values.

LadyLazarus

I agree that it was a stupid as well as impulsive thing to do, and that is coming from me. But that's beside the point.
    Anyway, in regards to what is actually being asked here; it sounds unhealthy e6 to me, if I had to correlate it to enneagram. It just sounds Fi-ish if anything to me, outside of enneagram. Like you made something that wasn't personal, personal and as mentioned; made a value judgement.

Glycerine

No. Teachers/profs do that to ensure students attend because with "most" students, there is a correlation between attendance and performance. 95% of my uni classes had attendance policies. You did it to yourself, dude....

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    No. Teachers/profs do that to ensure students attend because with "most" students, there is a correlation between attendance and performance. 95% of my uni classes had attendance policies. You did it to yourself, dude....
    It was a personal principle. I don't regret it. If you do the work, you get the grade as your due. It isn't some favor handed down by the professor. The professors are power-tripping, and they need to see that they will hurt good students and not just sloppy students by implementing those policies. That's why I did it. To show solidarity with the students who missed inadvertently.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    It was a personal principle. I don't regret it. If you do the work, you get the grade as your due. It isn't some favor handed down by the professor. The professors are power-tripping, and they need to see that they will hurt good students and not just sloppy students by implementing those policies. That's why I did it. To show solidarity with the students who missed inadvertently.
    Cool but most traditional academic settings are like that though in my experience. Some profs I had had policies like "after 3 classes, every class you miss, you lose half a grade." Gotta go through hoops to get top grades.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLazarus View Post
    I agree that it was a stupid as well as impulsive thing to do, and that is coming from me. But that's beside the point.
    Anyway, in regards to what is actually being asked here; it sounds unhealthy e6 to me, if I had to correlate it to enneagram. It just sounds Fi-ish if anything to me, outside of enneagram. Like you made something that wasn't personal, personal and as mentioned; made a value judgement.
    Well, see, unhealthy e6 is one of the things I've considered for myself. I wouldn't naturally do something like that, but it wasn't impulsive. I planned it from the beginning of the semester. I saw that policy, and knew I had to do my best to show the professor an example of a good student hurt by it.

So, I went out of my way to be a model student in the small class. And I succeeded. I'm good at looking 'impressive', which is why I thought I was e3.

I then missed a number of classes, three of them. On the fourth miss, I would lose a letter grade. So I emailed him explaining why I missed. And he said "You'll get an A if you don't miss anymore classes, just show up". So I did until the second-to-last class, when I deliberately missed. And I emailed him saying that it was nothing personal, I liked the class and his teaching style, but I couldn't compromise my principles.

See, I had a fear that I might be losing my integrity, so I had to show myself in that example that I was capable of making a stand on something, and unnecessarily losing out for the sake of a random principle.