• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Type and MBTI function correlations...

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1 - 56%
2 - 40%
3 - 40%
4 - 56%
5 - 83% (5w6)
6 - 70%
7 - 36%
8 - 23%
9 - 46%

My tritype is 5-1-3 and I'm very, very heavily Ti-dom.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
1 - 56%
2 - 40%
3 - 40%
4 - 56%
5 - 83% (5w6)
6 - 70%
7 - 36%
8 - 23%
9 - 46%

My tritype is 5-1-3 and I'm very, very heavily Ti-dom.

Well, this would suggest that Enneatypes (with the exception of e5) have little correlation with MBTI types, which makes sense considering that the Enneagram is focused on something quite different to MBTI. I believe a correlation needs to be at least 0.8 to be significant, or is it even higher than that?

It would be helpful if you could briefly explain to us how you arrived at your figures, though.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It would be helpful if you could briefly explain to us how you arrived at your figures, though.

The percentages for individual enne types are from similarminds.com - I actually found this thread from another post where yeghor linked to the test & this thread and mentioned that he was collecting data.
The tritype is from enneagramquiz.com and Ti as my strongest function is a consistent result across several different Jungian tests.
With wings, my second and third types are 1w2 and 3w2.

I feel that the enne/tri descriptions are fairly accurate to me (much more so than MBTI)
(I hope I didn't misunderstand what you mean by explaining figures!)

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
The percentages for individual enne types are from similarminds.com - I actually found this thread from another post where yeghor linked to the test & this thread and mentioned that he was collecting data.
The tritype is from enneagramquiz.com and Ti as my strongest function is a consistent result across several different Jungian tests.
With wings, my second and third types are 1w2 and 3w2.

I feel that the enne/tri descriptions are fairly accurate to me (much more so than MBTI)
(I hope I didn't misunderstand what you mean by explaining figures!)

Thanks. I was just wondering where the percentages you quoted came from.

iHeartCats

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
no
UPDATE TO THE THEORETICAL CORRELATION BETWEEN MBTI FUNCTIONS AND ENNEAGRAM TYPES:

1<-->7 represents the Ni-Ne spectrum.

2 or 3<-->4 represent the Fe-Fi spectrum.

5<-->6 represent the Ti-Te spectrum.

8<-->9 represent the Se-Si spectrum.

Function strengths can be read and identified thru enneagram results by summing up couple strengths (like type1+type7, type2 or type3 (whichever is stronger)+type4, type5+type6 and type8+type9).

This system can give an overall glimpse as to a person's type, most likely thru the dominant and inferior functions determined thru enneagram test result, as described above.

My Enneagram: 358
My dominant functions: Fe, Si, Ti

Interesting.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure really how accurate this is, but it makes sense on a small scale if I'm a 8w7 and use Se dominantly.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
1: Te Fe Si
2: Fe Fi
3: extrovert?
4: Ni Fi
5: Ni Ti
6: Ne Si Ti
7: Ne Se
8: Se Te Ni
9: Si Fi

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=20531]Yeghor[/MENTION] I can’t find these infos anywhere else.
Are these ideas, yours?

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20531]Yeghor[/MENTION] I can’t find these infos anywhere else.
Are these ideas, yours?
I've been reading enneagram descriptions and trying to form rough correlations between them and mbti functions... My speculations as to that are as follows:

The excessively ambiguous nature of the thread's opening lines only contributes towards the mystery.

Lain

1 14 I must be perfect and good to survive.
5 14 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
3 13 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
4 13 I must be unique/different to survive.
6 13 I must be secure and safe to survive.
7 9 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
8 9 I must be strong and in control to survive.
2 7 I must be helpful and caring to survive.
9 7 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.

Not sure how accurately I answered the questions

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
It makes even less sense why I always score moderately high on type 9 now. But the 5-2 makes a lot of sense or 7-2 as well.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mini update since I had the opportunity to take the full enneacards test from enneagram.net with the survey code this week (thanks Katherine!).
At this point I've taken quite a few different tests around the internets and thought about it for a while. I'm unquestionably a core 5, and my second type is unquestionably a 1...

...but my wing changes based on mood/context, and so does my third type. I'm slightly more 5w4 and my heart fix is 4w5 when free of emotional stressors. When I feel stressed due to being tied down and/or emotionally invested in any social groups, I'm more of a 5w6 and my heart fix is 3w2. This has become especially apparent because I've joined/left association with a couple different gaming groups recently. I'm unsure whether I should consider myself to have balanced wings, i.e. whether the predictable difference in my wing influences are valid and important. (This also doesn't really explain my tritype, though if I were to take a page from Myers-Briggs, I should be determining my type based on my 'natural' stress-free state.)

Dawd

MBTI Type
IxxP
Enneagram
5/9
What do you think about these results?
5 18 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
9 17 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
8 14 I must be strong and in control to survive.
4 13 I must be unique/different to survive.
6 12 I must be secure and safe to survive.
2 11 I must be helpful and caring to survive.
3 9 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
7 9 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
1 7 I must be perfect and good to survive.

Mcphste

Hey I’m 100% an infj 6w7 and this seems to work naturally with the ‘6’ type and the fe and se. Fe means we will be very people focused and make sure people in our surroundings are all having a good time and aren’t left out as a ‘6’ does in health in its ‘9’ state becoming the motherly type. Also se makes sense as in stress ‘6’s become anxious and very aware of threats and dangers in their surroundings which is very se like.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

yeghor

I've been reading enneagram descriptions and trying to form rough correlations between them and mbti functions... My speculations as to that are as follows:

Gut
Enneagram 8 - Se
Enneagram 9 - Si
Enneagram 1 - Ni

Heart
Enneagram 2 - Fe-aux
Enneagram 3 - Fe-dom
Enneagram 4 - Fi

Head
Enneagram 5 - Ti
Enneagram 6 - Te
Enneagram 7 - Ne

Something external and recent that seems to somewhat support my theory.

Still a bit unsure about enneagram 6 and Te association. I think it might have something to do with collectivist attitude and the need to establish collective constructs (like states and bureaucracy) to increase the efficiency, functioning and power level of the collective.

i4qnmp7pn4w61.jpg
Original available at: I drew the Enneagram symbol using Emojis cause I was bored : Enneagram

yeghor

1) This is basically what I suggest for MBTI function and Enneagram type correlations.

The underlaid drawing is not mine but taken from I drew the Enneagram symbol using Emojis cause I was bored : Enneagram

Enneagram.jpg

2) Another important text to read regarding how enneagram preferences are formed during childhood is available at the belowgiven old post from 2014:

Childhood scenarios for enneatypes: Law of three (What caused your enneagram type)

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with that chart. I would also say that both Fe and Te pair well with 3 being Je functions(uniting everyone towards a common goal). A lot of people say 3s can't be introverts, but I don't think it's illogical especially for Pi doms/Je auxes. I was thinking either Pe function could suit a 7 core, but at the end of the day I think Ne fits the best with 7's head type style. Also, 9 doesn't scream Ne as much as 7, but it feels like a Ne/Si type over a Ni/Se type by a long shot. The nervous energy, the natural curiosity they have towards everything, how adaptable they are to situations-all says Ne to me.

yeghor

I agree with that chart. I would also say that both Fe and Te pair well with 3 being Je functions(uniting everyone towards a common goal). A lot of people say 3s can't be introverts, but I don't think it's illogical especially for Pi doms/Je auxes. I was thinking either Pe function could suit a 7 core, but at the end of the day I think Ne fits the best with 7's head type style. Also, 9 doesn't scream Ne as much as 7, but it feels like a Ne/Si type over a Ni/Se type by a long shot. The nervous energy, the natural curiosity they have towards everything, how adaptable they are to situations-all says Ne to me.

You are right, Enneagram 3 description might as well fit with the Te function yet because enneagram 2, 3 and 4 are considered the heart triad, I did not assign Te to enneagram 3.

Moreover, Enneagram 6 is called the loyalist and is of the head triad, and the description is of that an extraverted thinkers who is trying to build social support constructs and loyalty around himself/herself so I think it fit well with Te. Please see:

We have named personality type Six The Loyalist because, of all the personality types, Sixes are the most loyal to their friends and to their beliefs. They will “go down with the ship” and hang on to relationships of all kinds far longer than most other types. Sixes are also loyal to ideas, systems, and beliefs—even to the belief that all ideas or authorities should be questioned or defied. Indeed, not all Sixes go along with the “status quo”: their beliefs may be rebellious and anti-authoritarian, even revolutionary. In any case, they will typically fight for their beliefs more fiercely than they will fight for themselves, and they will defend their community or family more tenaciously than they will defend themselves.

The reason Sixes are so loyal to others is that they do not want to be abandoned and left without support—their Basic Fear. Thus, the central issue for type Six is a failure of self-confidence. Sixes come to believe that they do not possess the internal resources to handle life’s challenges and vagaries alone, and so increasingly rely on structures, allies, beliefs, and supports outside themselves for guidance to survive. If suitable structures do not exist, they will help create and maintain them.

Sixes are the primary type in the Thinking Center, meaning that they have the most trouble contacting their own inner guidance. As a result, they do not have confidence in their own minds and judgments.

Sixes are always aware of their anxieties and are always looking for ways to construct “social security” bulwarks against them. Sixes attempt to build a network of trust over a background of unsteadiness and fear.

yeghor

I was wondering why the enneagram system needed to categorize enneagram types into triads as Gut, Heart and Head.

I am curious because it is an inconsistency when some is typed with high heart triad score in enneagram yet typed as a low feeling type in MBTI, which would indicate mistyping in one or both systems.

Similar inconsistencies can also be identified between T function and the Head enneagram types and S and N functions and the Gut enneagram types.

Keywords associated with triads

Also below are some excerpts about the Heart Triad from a couple of sites:

Heart Triad 1

Heart Triad 2

Center Of Expression Descriptions