• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Type and MBTI function correlations...

á´…eparted

passages
Based on the abovegiven, which "partially" fits with my speculation, IxxJs, who are superego dominant types, cannot have an ego type (i.e. 4, 5 and 9 in your quoted post) as their main type... They have to have a superego type as their main type...to represent a superego stronger than ego...

And I still think 4=Fi and 5=Ti so can't see how a Fe-dom aux or Te-dom aux could be a 4 or 5... perhaps their secondary and tertiary enneagram types may be giving them a different flavor but doubt it...

How did Riso-Hudson do that mapping?

No. How many times to you have to be told by people before it sinks in? Seriously. It's well known here, and pretty much everywhere, that there are PLENTY of INFJ's and INTJ's that are E4 and E5. The idea that they are ALL wrong, on decades of foundation of enneagram and MBTI is just rediculous through and through. You're speculation is incorrect. It's not an iron clad correlation, people are complex and all of the combinations crossed between theories are possible. Some are very common, others less so, but they are all valid. We know this, because we can see individuals who fit it. That's the evidence, that's the proof. I do not understand why you keep holding onto ideas that people show you being incorrect, it doesn't make a lick of rational sense at all.

yeghor

Some more fuel to the fire...

Enneagram Test Results (60 questions one)

The Enneagram is a personality system which divides the entire human personality into nine behavioral tendencies, this is your score on each...

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||| 38%
Type 4 Individualism |||||||||||| 46%
Type 5 Intellectualism |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 6 Security Focus |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||| 34%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||| 26%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||| 42%

type score type behavior motivation
5 18 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
1 17 I must be perfect and good to survive.
2 16 I must be helpful and caring to survive.
6 14 I must be secure and safe to survive.
4 11 I must be unique/different to survive.
9 10 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
3 9 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
7 8 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
8 6 I must be strong and in control to survive.

Your main type is Type 5

Your variant stacking is sp/so/sx

Your level of health is very low, i.e. very unhealthy

yeghor

And this... http://www.enneagramquiz.com/

You are a Type 5 with a 6 wing: "The Scientist"

Your trifix is 5w6, 2w1, 1w9.

Your core type (your strongest type) is Type 5 with a 6 wing:

Type Five individuals are cerebral, intelligent, and complex. Type Five is often called the Investigator type, because they are constantly trying to learn more about the world. To a Five, knowledge is power, and knowing more about the world around them makes the world a safer place. It’s common for a Five to withdraw into their own thoughts and ruminate on intricate ideas and concepts. Type Fives, when they are in a growth state, become self-confident and authoritative like a Type Eight. When they are stressed, Type Fives become scattered like an unhealthy Type Seven. You are a Type Five with a Six wing, which means that the cerebral nature of a Type Five combines with the troubleshooting thought style of a Type Six. This makes Type 5w6 the Enneagram type of the stereotypical scientist – the 5w6 is always creating new ideas and testing them.

Your second type (your next strongest type) is Type 2 with a 1 wing:

Type Two individuals are generous and kind. Twos love others and want to be loved, and becoming close to others is a theme in the life of the Two. This is why Two is often referred to as the Helper type – because they keep coming, time and time again, to the aid of others. Out of all the types in the Enneagram, Twos are the most likely to help someone when they’re feeling down or when they’re being attacked. When a Type Two is stressed, they can become aggressive like an unhealthy Type Eight. When they’re healthy, a Type Two becomes emotionally aware like a healthy Type Four. You are a Type Two with a One wing, which means that the helpful nature of the Two combines with the idealistic nature of the One to make a very humanitarian personality.

Your third type (the least-used of the three) is Type 1 with a 9 wing:

Type One individuals have a very finely tuned sense of right and wrong, and they chart the course of their lives by following a righteous path. This doesn’t have to be religious… it can be any set of principles that the Type One finds ethical. Ones are perfectionists, often setting high standards for themselves and others. Type One may very well be the most noble type in the Enneagram. When a Type One is in a state of growth, they become excited and joyous like a Seven. When a Type One is stressed, they become emotional and overwhelmed like an unhealthy Type 4. You are a Type One with a Nine wing, which means that the righteous traits of a Type One combine with the peaceful nature of the Type Nine to create a very idealistic personality.

Some words that describe you: principled, moralistic, perfectionist, self-critical, generous, helpful, selfless, loving, intelligent, cerebral, questioning.

yeghor

I think I had to adopt 5 so as to satisfy my father's need for feeling good about himself over his children's success...

and the 1 and 2 to satisfy my mother's need for affection and compassion that she couldn't get from her husband...

This was my way of making peace (or a bargain) with them I guess...so that I can be loved by and receive back affection and nurturing from my parents I guess...

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFP - Flower child

Ok. So this is one of the videos I was talking about. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

The ones before this, I don't think I agree with your re-typing of them either. But this one seemed in particular, very interesting.

Yeghor....why do you think she is ISFP?

I think she clearly states, that she heavily, relates to INFJ.

-So I guess my first question is, why would you even reconsider her type?

-Second question is, why do you not see Fe? It is the first thing that I noticed about her. (And also, I'd like to point out, that to type someone like this, is assuming that one can type another person via 1 video, or via facial expressions and so on....which is also in question as well.)

yeghor

Ok. So this is one of the videos I was talking about. Sorry it took my so long to get back to you.

The ones before this, I don't think I agree with your re-typing of them either. But this one seemed in particular, I found interesting.

Yeghor....why do you think she is ISFP?

I think she clearly states, that she heavily, relates to INFJ.

-So I guess my first question is, why would you even reconsider her type?

-Second question is, why do you not see Fe? It is the first thing that I noticed about her. (And also, I'd like to point out, that to type someone like this, is assuming that one can type another person via 1 video, or via facial expressions and so on....which is also in question as well.)

qestion 1: Cause there's an overabundance of INFJs online (who supposedly compromise only a 1-2% of general population), and I was trying to demonstrate that when you search for INFJ on youtube, about 80% of the self-portrait videos that the search yields are of the people who are clearly non-INFJs, but some other NF or SF type...

So this was done to show how much of a spillover there is to the INFJ type... confusing people's perception about what INFJ really is...

question 2: How old is she? Like 15-20? Based on my personal experience, INFJs are very much like ISFJs in demeanor and clothing style, at least initially... INFJs are self-conscious... Does the INFJ in that video look like an ISFJ or a self-conscious person...?

She clearly has a high self-esteem...also a unique clothing style for her age... She's artsy... Probably an enneagram 4...

She also uses too much eyeliner and a too heavy lipstick... She's trying express her "unique" identity... all of which makes me think that she's an xxFP...

IxFJ is basically an inversed ExFP... There's an ExFP waiting to hatch out inside of IxFJs and vice versa... So IxFJ is basically an "ugly duckling"...

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
qestion 1: Cause there's an overabundance of INFJs online (who supposedly compromise only a 1-2% of general population), and I was trying to demonstrate that when you search for INFJ on youtube, about 80% of the self-portrait videos that the search yields are of the people who are clearly non-INFJs, but some other NF or SF type...

So this was done to show how much of a spillover there is to the INFJ type... confusing people's perception about what INFJ really is...

question 2: How old is she? Like 15-20? Based on my personal experience, INFJs are very much like ISFJs in demeanor and clothing style, at least initially... INFJs are self-conscious... Does the INFJ in that video look like an ISFJ or a self-conscious person...?

She clearly has a high self-esteem...also a unique clothing style for her age... She's artsy... Probably an enneagram 4...

She also uses too much eyeliner and a too heavy lipstick... She's trying express her "unique" identity... all of which makes me think that she's an xxFP...

IxFJ is basically an inversed ExFP... There's an ExFP waiting to hatch out inside of IxFJs and vice versa... So IxFJ is basically an "ugly duckling"...

Her emotions are easily worn on her sleeve. She is not introverting her emotions.

Something that leads me to believe she's not comfortable "winging it" like a P, is that she wrote points down, which she followed. I think she's a J. Also her Se is not coming out. When an ISFP makes a video, their Se comes out usually.

She may be an enneagram 4. But I don't really see how that negates the possibility that she would be an INFJ.

And the statistics in some of the books I have, point to 4 being the most common type for an INFJ. Following right behind that they say 1 is quite common. But there is a significant difference in shading. Here is a link. Please scroll up one page, to page 166 to see the chart

Also did you watch the entire video? She said she felt very different her whole life. Sounds like an ugly duckling complex to me :shrug:

Also, could you please link someone that you think IS an INFJ? So that I can compare your context and what kind of reference point you're going by....

yeghor

Her emotions are easily worn on her sleeve. She is not introverting her emotions.

Something that leads me to believe she's not comfortable "winging it" like a P, is that she wrote points down, which she followed. I think she's a J. Also her Se is not coming out. When an ISFP makes a video, their Se comes out usually.

She may be an enneagram 4. But I don't really see how that negates the possibility that she would be an INFJ.

And the statistics in some of the books I have, point to 4 being the most common type for an INFJ. Following right behind that they say 1 is quite common. But there is a significant difference in shading. Here is a link. Please scroll up one page, to page 166 to see the chart

Also did you watch the entire video? She said she felt very different her whole life. Sounds like an ugly duckling complex to me :shrug:

Also, could you please link someone that you think IS an INFJ? So that I can compare your context and what kind of reference point you're going by....

INFJs don't wear their emotions on their sleeves... INFJ is a construct that traps in and supresses internal emotions (Fi)...

Fe is about making proper social gestures and sending negotiation\hailing signals to others so as to communicate that they do not pose a threat to the other... It functions like a receiver and transmitter... It checks emotional status of others mainly for signs of hostility and disapproval... A friend or foe detector...

I don't know about the Se... Perhaps she uses Ne more...

There are 3-4 videos of people whom I think are INFJs in this thread...

Edit: Thanks for the book link.. I think some 4s that type themselves as INFJs may in fact be INFPs or ENFJs...

Last edited:

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs doesn't wear their emotions on their sleeves... INFJ is a construct that traps in and supresses internal emotions (Fi)...

This does not make sense to me. Like, I don't understand how INFJ's relate to Fi...can you explain that more?

If you want to get more literal...they probably pretend to wear their emotions on their sleeve to keep up with the emotional atmosphere of the group. But is in no way similar to the concealing of emotions that an introverted feeler does.

I really recommend watching this guy:

Like I think that you may need to really absorb what he's saying.

Fe is about making proper social gestures and sending negotiation\hailing signals to others so as to communicate that they do not pose a threat to the other... It functions like a receiver and transmitter... It checks emotional status of others mainly for signs of hostility and disapproval... A friend or foe detector...

I can mostly agree with this. But I think that she is doing that. In compared to this

Do you see the difference? These girls are much more mellow. And by that I mean, they are not expressing their feelings as the INFJ in that video. I can even hear it in the inflection of their voice. They even have that monotone Te more. When the girls are making a joke about how long the video is, their smile is holding back, like so much.

So you see what I mean?

If you are going to type by the way people look and by one look at a video...this is the comparison you could keep in mind.

I don't know about the Se... Perhaps she uses Ne more...

It's absent and so is Ne...she is very focused. She is using Pi primarily. And if she has a hard time explaining herself (which she mentioned) then she prolly doesn't have Si.

There are 3-4 videos of people whom I think are INFJs in this thread...

Yea, I don't think that there's a difference. What are these cues you're picking up that makes you determine what function someone is expressing?

Edit: Thanks for the book link.. I think some 4s that type themselves as INFJs may in fact be INFPs or ENFJs...

Ok. Well that's a start.

And yea it works that route as well. But what I was also trying to show you, is that if someone is identifying with INFJ, the likelihood of them being a 4 is pretty high. You know?

yeghor

This does not make sense to me. Like, I don't understand how INFJ's relate to Fi...can you explain that more? If you want to get more literal...they probably pretend to wear their emotions on their sleeve to keep up with the emotional atmosphere of the group. But is in no way similar to the concealing of emotions that an introverted feeler does.

INFJs' Fi (personal (internal) preferences and values that hold dear to their self) is quite small in volume than that of a Fi-dom or aux...

My understanding of how functions work differ a bit from what Dr.Mike says... A bit contrary to what Dr Mike says, INFJs receive external information mainly thru Fe and Se... and then analyze that information thru Ni and Ti... So the extraverted functions are inlets and outlets (filters) of incoming and outgoing information...and internal functions are how we make sense of that internalized information...

So INFJ scans the environment for how people are feeling, they are focusing more on how others feel rather than their own feelings... This is infact a representation of INFJs codependent nature, which compels them to focus more on others' needs thru their (the latter's) emotional status\distress (Fe = others' Fi) rather than their own (self Fi)...which is represented in MBTI by Fi<Fe...

Once that information is internalized, INFJs analyze it thru their Ni and Ti so as to understand it from an unemotional (depersonalized, detached) point of view and send back a proper response mostly thru their Fe... So whatever INFJs say back in return will be filtered out or modified by Fe... i.e. giving back to the other a socially or individually proper response...

So when interacting with others, INFJs are concentrating on not offending the other person and somehow alleviating the other person's distress (defusing the other person)...

IxFPs OTOH will be internalizing information thru their Se (body language) or Ne (potential meanings?), and analyzing it mostly thru their Fi, i.e. how that incoming information sits with their internal preferences and values, i.e. their "self identity", based on the emotions that information arouses in them, i.e. how that information makes them feel...

And then based on the emotion aroused they'll respond negatively or positively back in a way that is flavored thru their secondary function, Se or Ne... If it is something that hurts their "self" i.e. Fi, they'll either use negative body language (Se, frown, anger etc.) or use Ne to tell to the other how what they proposed might not be so... so as to convince both the other person and themselves that what they suggested is not "true", even though it actually may be... this is done to prevent the ego from getting hurt...

So, INFJs will express (filter) their thoughts in a way that will not offend the other individual... in a way that the other person can stomach...

Whereas Fi dom or aux will filter and express out their emotions (how they feel) thru Ne or Se... Edit: I think this gives them an ability to become good artists...

As Dr.Mike says in the video, INFJs are doing the analyzing thing from an abstract\impersonal view point i.e., thru Ne Ni, whereas xxFPs do that from a personal view point...so the girl in the video tells about how she also "feels" how other people around are feeling... INFJs OTOH understand what the other person may be feeling as a "cause and effect reasoning kinda thought" not something they feel inside themselves (unless it is something they've also felt before or sensitive about, i.e. something in the Fi reservoir, which is quite smaller in scale in comparison to that of xxFPs...)

She seems more expressive than others, perhaps she's an extravert but I still think she's an xxFP...

Like I think that you may need to really absorb what he's saying.

Why do I need to absorb it? Isn't that a bit presumptious...?

These girls look like tertiary F's... The one on the right is dressed up like an IxFP but she sounds like an ISTJ... The other one, I've no idea about...

This one feels much more like an INFP in terms of demeanor:

and this one an ISFP:

It's absent and so is Ne...she is very focused. She is using Pi primarily. And if she has a hard time explaining herself (which she mentioned) then she prolly doesn't have Si.

Yea, I don't think that there's a difference. What are these cues you're picking up that makes you determine what function someone is expressing?

She's too warm and too expressive to be an INFJ... Fe feels more like a construct, a front... Whatever she's saying is coming from her Fi, not Ni or something... She's not detached from her Fi...

Check 2:50 to see what happens when an INFJ connects with her Fi:

In her other videos, take note how she's emotionally colder and detached...

Ok. Well that's a start.

No it's an end... I've already discussed about that in this thread...

And yea it works that route as well. But what I was also trying to show you, is that if someone is identifying with INFJ, the likelihood of them being a 4 is pretty high. You know?

No, I think it's the other way around, I think enneagram 4s (and perhaps 3s) have a high likelihood of (mis)identifying with the INFJ type...

Alea_iacta_est

INFJ's Fi is unconscious and is responsible for part of the INFJ's ulterior worldview in the Ni-Fi mechanism. There is false identification with the Fi function (as in relating to it as a conscious function) due to its unconscious presence in the INFJ's thoughts and decisions.

In Socionics, the INFp's Fi is the Demonstrative Function, which is essentially the same information as the written above, with some added inter-type relation features. For instance, the Demonstrative Function of a type is that type's dual's PoLR, meaning that if an INFp's dual's (ESTp) Fi PoLR gets hit unfairly by any Fi Ego valuing type, then the INFp will usually respond by slamming the Fi Ego type with Fi Demonstrative, which is released negatively usually against threats and much more powerfully (due to the fact that it is A. An unconscious function, and B. treated as though it is useless when used consciously). The Beebe model in JCF describes the Senex/Witch function as an assertion of authority to counter another's use of Fi against the common goals of the IxFJ.

Also, once-a-fucking-gain, the INFJ's most common types are Type 4, Type 5, and even Type 2 before Type 1 and cannot be specifically correlated directly with any type due to the nature of the Enneagram system, which works on motivations, fears, and drives rather than how the psyche functions. Sure, it can be extrapolated what certain JCF types want from functions such as the inferior, but these desires due not usually translate into Enneagram motivations or drives.

yeghor

I think ^this part means INFJs' have shadow Fi function, that corresponds to the witch\senex function in Beebe's model... I have no idea how the dual and demonstrative function plays into all this... You also know my stance on my socionics type...

Sorry, can't see it happening for type 4... As for type 5, I think there still has to be 1 and 2 somewhere in the tritype... I'd even expect 1 to be the strongest...(which doesn't fit with my latest tritype results for instance)

I don't know what in mbti and enneagram tests are causing this skewed outcome of 4s' ending up as INFJs... Perhaps 4s' tritypes might reveal more information about that...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What would be much more interesting at this point, frankly, would be for people to START writing INFJ e4, and INFJ e5, and INFJ e6, etc profiles.

That would be awesome if people started writing these things.

Alea_iacta_est

I think ^this part means INFJs' have shadow Fi function, that corresponds to the witch\senex function in Beebe's model... I have no idea how the dual and demonstrative function plays into all this... You also know my stance on my socionics type...

Sorry, can't see it happening for type 4... As for type 5, I think there still has to be 1 and 2 somewhere in the tritype... I'd even expect 1 to be the strongest...(which doesn't fit with my latest tritype results for instance)

I don't know what in mbti and enneagram tests are causing this skewed outcome of 4s' ending up as INFJs... Perhaps 4s' tritypes might reveal more information about that...

You can't see it happening because you don't want to see it happen since it goes against your isolated bubble of reasoning (careful, your Ji is showing). The amount of evidence that asserts INFJs have a strong if not dominating correlation to type 4 is greater than your little scrap of reasoning derived from subjective function assignments that are not based off of any empirical study* (not even going to bother with your inherently flawed Fruedian parts of the psyche model).

*unlike the ones that are, such as Riso & Hudson, who loosely correlate Ni and Fi to Type 4.

Oh, and congratulations on making the extremely hard connection that what I was talking about was shadow Fi. And for the record, I don't doubt your Socionics type.

B

brainheart

These girls look like tertiary F's... The one on the right is dressed up like an IxFP but she sounds like an ISTJ... The other one, I've no idea about...

The girl on the left is a very obvious Fi dom. I could see the girl on the right being an ENFP instead of an INFP- but she could be an INFP.

natmar89

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Where did you find the percentages? These charts are awesome!!!

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On the "IxFPs talk about Fi and Te" video, Gillian, the girl on the right, is the INFP whose energy I relate to most in all Youtubeland. I'm surprised people here and on Youtube want to retype her.

yeghor

UPDATE TO THE THEORETICAL CORRELATION BETWEEN MBTI FUNCTIONS AND ENNEAGRAM TYPES:

1<-->7 represents the Ni-Ne spectrum.

2 or 3<-->4 represent the Fe-Fi spectrum.

5<-->6 represent the Ti-Te spectrum.

8<-->9 represent the Se-Si spectrum.

Function strengths can be read and identified thru enneagram results by summing up couple strengths (like type1+type7, type2 or type3 (whichever is stronger)+type4, type5+type6 and type8+type9).

This system can give an overall glimpse as to a person's type, most likely thru the dominant and inferior functions determined thru enneagram test result, as described above.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Or, as a contrast to that ^^ approach - actual complex human reality might be used to consider and think about all of this as a way to learn and grow and understand self and others.

Example: I'm an INFJ 6w5. Semi-recently, I've been - due to actual lived necessity - seeking to sort out what visceral-level internal responses in me come from my ennagram 6 and what visceral-level internal responses in me come from my INFJ Ni-served-by-Se information processing configuration. This is not abstract theoretical work for me - there are actual situations in my actual real life in which it is incredibly useful for me to know the difference so that I can correctly focus my energy and be as centered and clear as possible in how I move in the real world around me.

One crucial difference I have discovered in myself is that the damage-based (yes, enneagram stuff is actually based on damage, while MBTI/cognitive function is not) activation of my ennagram 6 is - not surprisingly - "head"/thinky responses. In clear contrast, actual information from Ni-Se INFJ configuration is perceptual.

More specifically in my case: When the 6 is doing its thing in me, I am at some level consciously thinking about what could happen, in my head, and that thinking processes causes and reinforces a visceral reaction in the rest of me. In contrast, my Ni-Se perception begins with a visceral response, a perception that isn't accessible at first to my thinking self/brain. The Ni/Ni-Se information is clearly about perception and not thinking/narrative, while the 6 stuff is very much about thinking and not about accurate perception at all. These are very different things, but without being able to differentiate them, I can get confused about what is information (INFJ/Ni-Se visceral perception), and what is damage-based (enneagram 6 visceral responses).

Fortunately, I have semi-recently become able to differentiate to some extent, and I expect that my ability to tell the difference will continue to develop. I've tried out this differentiation a couple of times so far in actual real life situations, and it's been really useful. In order to navigate my world in a useful/not damaging way, I need to be able to trust my dominant perception on one hand, and not allow the enneagram 6 damage to run me on the other. Knowing the difference is incredibly useful for me.

I sorted out the difference between these two things from the ground up without starting with concepts. But partway into the process, I found that knowing that 6 is a "head type" and that INFJ is perceiving-dominant helped me to more clearly pin down the clear differences between 6-based faux visceral "information" and INFJ real information. As a result of being able to approach this in a complex way with attention to my actual lived reality, I can now draw on resources that lessen the bad effects that the enneagram 6 damage can have on my life when it rears its head, while increasing my use of actual perceptual information from Ni/Ni-Se.

^ ^ [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], this is an example of the kind of thing I wish I could talk more about/delve into with others on this site. But persistent interactional dysfunction and type-bashing is such a norm at typologycentral that for me it's like, why bother? Using the above example: I see it as extremely unlikely that on this site there could be an actual in-depth intelligent respectful conversation about the intersection of INFJ cognitive functions and specific/various enneagram types - I think it would very likely turn into one of the typical type bashing threads that seem to be so popular here.

yeghor

Or, as a contrast to that ^^ approach - actual complex human reality might be used to consider and think about all of this as a way to learn and grow and understand self and others.

Example: I'm an INFJ 6w5. Semi-recently, I've been - due to actual lived necessity - seeking to sort out what visceral-level internal responses in me come from my ennagram 6 and what visceral-level internal responses in me come from my INFJ Ni-served-by-Se information processing configuration. This is not abstract theoretical work for me - there are actual situations in my actual real life in which it is incredibly useful for me to know the difference so that I can correctly focus my energy and be as centered and clear as possible in how I move in the real world around me.

One crucial difference I have discovered in myself is that the damage-based (yes, enneagram stuff is actually based on damage, while MBTI/cognitive function is not) activation of my ennagram 6 is - not surprisingly - "head"/thinky responses. In clear contrast, actual information from Ni-Se INFJ configuration is perceptual.

More specifically in my case: When the 6 is doing its thing in me, I am at some level consciously thinking about what could happen, in my head, and that thinking processes causes and reinforces a visceral reaction in the rest of me. In contrast, my Ni-Se perception begins with a visceral response, a perception that isn't accessible at first to my thinking self/brain. The Ni/Ni-Se information is clearly about perception and not thinking/narrative, while the 6 stuff is very much about thinking and not about accurate perception at all. These are very different things, but without being able to differentiate them, I can get confused about what is information (INFJ/Ni-Se visceral perception), and what is damage-based (enneagram 6 visceral responses).

Fortunately, I have semi-recently become able to differentiate to some extent, and I expect that my ability to tell the difference will continue to develop. I've tried out this differentiation a couple of times so far in actual real life situations, and it's been really useful. In order to navigate my world in a useful/not damaging way, I need to be able to trust my dominant perception on one hand, and not allow the enneagram 6 damage to run me on the other. Knowing the difference is incredibly useful for me.

I sorted out the difference between these two things from the ground up without starting with concepts. But partway into the process, I found that knowing that 6 is a "head type" and that INFJ is perceiving-dominant helped me to more clearly pin down the clear differences between 6-based faux visceral "information" and INFJ real information. As a result of being able to approach this in a complex way with attention to my actual lived reality, I can now draw on resources that lessen the bad effects that the enneagram 6 damage can have on my life when it rears its head, while increasing my use of actual perceptual information from Ni/Ni-Se.

^ ^ [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], this is an example of the kind of thing I wish I could talk more about/delve into with others on this site. But persistent interactional dysfunction and type-bashing is such a norm at typologycentral that for me it's like, why bother? Using the above example: I see it as extremely unlikely that on this site there could be an actual in-depth intelligent respectful conversation about the intersection of INFJ cognitive functions and specific/various enneagram types - I think it would very likely turn into one of the typical type bashing threads that seem to be so popular here.

So what do you propose they should do Werebudgie?