• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Type and MBTI function correlations...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was wondering why the enneagram system needed to categorize enneagram types into triads as Gut, Heart and Head.

I am curious because it is an inconsistency when some is typed with high heart triad score in enneagram yet typed as a low feeling type in MBTI, which would indicate mistyping in one or both systems.

Similar inconsistencies can also be identified between T function and the Head enneagram types and S and N functions and the Gut enneagram types.
Enneagram and MBTI are completely different systems, categorizing people on the basis of different scales/factors. A given type in one system will be more commonly associated with some types more than others in the other system, but the associations are not absolute. People are more complex than that, and the systems themselves have limitations as classification tools. I know these distinctions can be difficult for some people to grasp, and they will fall back upon simplistic interpretations of how the two systems should line up.

yeghor

Enneagram and MBTI are completely different systems, categorizing people on the basis of different scales/factors. A given type in one system will be more commonly associated with some types more than others in the other system, but the associations are not absolute. People are more complex than that, and the systems themselves have limitations as classification tools. I know these distinctions can be difficult for some people to grasp, and they will fall back upon simplistic interpretations of how the two systems should line up.

"I know these distinctions can be difficult for some people to grasp" Your sentence would be fine without this part yet you chose to add it. Care to explain why?

What if there are patterns yet you simply cannot see them? What would that imply for you?

Jai

Enneagram
V
"I know these distinctions can be difficult for some people to grasp" Your sentence would be fine without this part yet you chose to add it. Care to explain why?

What if there are patterns yet you simply cannot see them? What would that imply for you?

I read somewhere once that the difference between genius and insanity is that the former sees patterns that are hidden to most, and the latter sees patterns where there are none.

yeghor

I read somewhere once that the difference between genius and insanity is that the former sees patterns that are hidden to most, and the latter sees patterns where there are none.

How would one tell the difference (if there is any)?

Where's Galadriel when you need her?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What if you are seeing things that really aren't there, indulging in wishful thinking, perhaps? We can play "what if" til the cows come home.

How would one tell the difference (if there is any)?
The standard of science: reproducibility. If you are the only one who can see it, it probably isn't real, or at least is some subjective impression limited to yourself.

yeghor

What if you are seeing things that really aren't there, indulging in wishful thinking, perhaps? We can play "what if" til the cows come home.

You did not answer my three questions there. I'll answer them for you.

1) "I know these distinctions can be difficult for some people to grasp" Your sentence would be fine without this part yet you chose to add it. Care to explain why? We both know why you did that.

2 & 3) "What if there are patterns yet you simply cannot see them? What would that imply for you?"

Coriolis, I won't beat around the Bush. What that would imply is you are probably an ESTJ (Captain Harlock is one too), due to which you need to see concrete evidence for these kind of patterns, which would require me to provide you experimental readings directly from peoples brains associated with their demeanor, to provide a concrete connection that you can follow for these patterns, which unfortunately I cannot.

All I have are descriptions on enneagram and MBTI sites, which I am already providing in my theories here.

You would be more willing to discuss my suggestions if you had Ni, rather than immediately dismissing them. No one engaging me with this kind of hypothesizing (rather than shutting them down) indicates that there have not been any Ni-doms or Ni-aux in the forum lately. If there had been xNxJs in the forum they would have engaged by now and moved the discussion forward.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You did not answer my three questions there. I'll answer them for you.

1) "I know these distinctions can be difficult for some people to grasp" Your sentence would be fine without this part yet you chose to add it. Care to explain why? We both know why you did that.

2 & 3) "What if there are patterns yet you simply cannot see them? What would that imply for you?"

Coriolis, I won't beat around the Bush. What that would imply is you are probably an ESTJ (Captain Harlock is one too), due to which you need to see concrete evidence for these kind of patterns, which would require me to provide you experimental readings directly from peoples brains associated with their demeanor, to provide a concrete connection that you can follow for these patterns, which unfortunately I cannot.

All I have are descriptions on enneagram and MBTI sites, which I am already providing in my theories here.

You would be more willing to discuss my suggestions if you had Ni, rather than immediately dismissing them. No one engaging me with this kind of hypothesizing (rather than shutting them down) indicates that there have not been any Ni-doms or Ni-aux in the forum lately. If there had been xNxJs in the forum they would have engaged by now and moved the discussion forward.
So the only reason for failing to engage with you on your ideas is that we are mistyped? I suppose you will now insist all scientists must be STJs because they require hard, reproducible evidence before drawing conclusions. As in the other thread, it is pointless to explain things to you because you are determined to cling to your own perceptions and worldview, however divorced from reality they may be. You are entitled to do this, as long as the actions that motivates you to take do not become disruptive.

yeghor

As for the Gut Triad:

It is clear that it is distinct from the Heart and Head Center types, implying that it should be associated neither with F or T function in MBTI, leaving only S and N functions.

It is not difficult to associate Enneagram 8 with Se for instance, if you read the description.

Gut 1

Gut 2

Center Of Expression Descriptions