• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] a pattern i've noticed about E-gram's harmonic groups

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
[MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION], I didn't notice your post before I wrote this... talk about redundancy...

Hehe.. Actually I love what you wrote here so I'm glad you mentioned me and I read it.

You worded it very well imo. Also, this really needed to be said:
Contrary to popular belief, most fours hide their feelings, preferring to let them out in creative expression. In this way they are 'doing something' with their feelings vs just feeling for the sake of feeling. When a four does let feelings out openly and reactively, it shifts them into a two like state where they feel incredibly vulnerable and out of control. It makes fours not feel like their 'normal' selves.

^ This is absolutely true. I am Sx first and still couldn't agree more. I had an incident this weekend where I showed more emotion than I would like, and felt vulnerable and then cried for hours and hours. I actually rarely ever cry. The reason I did is because I felt I made myself too vulnerable, showed too much emotion; not because of anyone's reaction to it. In fact I was treated in kind.

My vulnerability usually gets expressed in my creative work, and rarely elsewhere. It's amazing, I've found a group of 4 friends from PerC who I speak to in a group-chat on skype, and I feel so comfortable being emotional around them and showing myself in this way. We all went through our enneagram journeys & some of us mistyped together. It's just so incredible. I'm 33, so having a setting where I'm letting my emotions out for the first time.. without much hesitation.. is just lovely. Although even in that setting, I sometimes "let out too much" and then retreat, or ask them if I was over-doing it, or apologize. They encourage me to do it though. It's really freeing.

But then I wonder if I should keep it to myself so that I can utilize it for my artwork. If I let it out there, I won't HAVE IT anymore.

A much more articulate and succinct phrasing of what I was trying to say before. :) You can't really be an evangelizing 1 without thinking that people will listen to you.

It strikes me as interesting that the "healthiest" 1s seem to be the 1s who have given up on a lot of their ideals. My conversations with fellow 1s who are farther to the unhealthy side than I am, usually end with them being SHOCKED that I could have such a sad and hopeless view of humanity. But the other side of that coin is that my views of humanity are more forgiving, and allow me to lead a happier life.

Ahh that is so interesting. I never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
No, I think [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] 's interpretation is where I've gone with this in my mind but never really discovered anything that I felt was all that useful (on my own) so I look forward to seeing how this thread unfolds. Thanks for this.

hehee.

I actually started a thread about this on PerC a while back, so I wish I could find it so that I could share the thoughts.. but it is long buried. That was the crux of it though.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A much more articulate and succinct phrasing of what I was trying to say before. :) You can't really be an evangelizing 1 without thinking that people will listen to you.

It strikes me as interesting that the "healthiest" 1s seem to be the 1s who have given up on a lot of their ideals. My conversations with fellow 1s who are farther to the unhealthy side than I am, usually end with them being SHOCKED that I could have such a sad and hopeless view of humanity. But the other side of that coin is that my views of humanity are more forgiving, and allow me to lead a happier life.
It sounds like you identify more with the constrained vision.

http://www.amazon.com/Conflict-Visi...I_1_28?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397611565&sr=1-28

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just checked the Wikipedia article on this:
The Constrained Vision

Sowell argues that the constrained vision relies heavily on belief that human nature is essentially unchanging and that man is naturally inherently self-interested, regardless of the best intentions. Those with a constrained vision prefer the systematic processes of the rule of law and experience of tradition. Compromise is essential because there are no ideal solutions, only trade-offs. Those with a constrained vision favor solid empirical evidence and time-tested structures and processes over intervention and personal experience. Ultimately, the constrained vision demands checks and balances and refuses to accept that all people could put aside their innate self-interest.

Yeah, that's definitely closer to what I believe. Especially the bolded. If I wasn't already prone towards that idea, then being a history/political science major moved me decisively into it.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
*brings this thread back now that the dunce is gone*

[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION], your theory is interesting. I could see 1 being the most positive-outlook focus of the competency triad. Even the jaded and negative 1s I know, are jaded and negative because they're so idealistic that nothing is meeting their standards. But they still believe in those standards, you know? There's hope there.

Oooh, this makes sense. 1s are greatly concerned with their values and ideals so that adds a touch of positivity to them, because they still drive for improvement and stuff. Even ISTJ 1w9 sp/so friend I know actually has a pretty positive demeanor, despite 1w2 supposedly being the more interpersonal kind of 1.

Even as a 7, I think I seem pretty reactive. I mean, you've seen me flying around these forums too right? I think I actually react a lot. I'm very positive, but also pretty pushy as well sometimes.

I have thought about this before, actually. Some types have even stronger influence, for instance:

4 is surrounded by 3, 5, and has a line to 1. That's a link to ALL the competency types.

5 is surrounded by 4, 6, and has a line to 8. That's a link to ALL the reactive types.

Also interesting! Good call here. Although for 1 and 8, they both also integrate to positive outlook types. I wonder why both of them do this rather than following the pattern of only one type from each center having a connection to all one harmonic group.

I find that 5s are more reactive than people give them credit for and 4s are more competency-obsessed than people give them credit for. 5 is still competency core and 4 is still reactive core, but I find that influence to be very strong in both types, in my experience. 5s react immediately (even if that reaction is RETREAT) when their understanding or knowledge is threatened, if they feel they don't know enough. They can bite, or retreat. 4s are very competency oriented where their self-expression is concerned. Whether that is art or just how they express who they are day to day. Some 4s , when they feel 'misunderstood,' can self-blame as if they failed to be competent at communicating who they really are, and if only they were smarter/ more authentic/ more honest/ better artist, then it would be different.

Definitely 5 rings true, from living with an ISTJ 5w6 father. Sometimes he'll retreat, or other times he'll bite and almost belligerently try to assert that there's weight in his knowledge. My mom will have to step in and be like "Dave, you're acting really immature." I don't have as much experience with 4s but what you say makes sense, I think their connection to their E1 soul child could give them a strong inner critic inside their head.

8 is surrounded by 7, 9 and has a line to 2. 1 is surrounded by 2 and 9, and has a line to 7. Similarly, 8s and 1s both can have a very 'positive outlook.' I've noticed this even more with 8s, that they keep the mood 'good' or sometimes overlook the negative in a very direct way. Also, "nobody is stronger than ME" and "I will TAKE what I want" with no-room-to-fail type thinking. With 1s it seems to influence them to believe their perfectionistic ideals COULD come true.

Haha, what you say about 8s is what actually got me thinking about this whole idea. After reading E8 descriptions, I was almost terrified by the idea. But I have a few 8w7 friends (which are supposedly the 8s leaning more on the offense rather than defense) and they're actually very fun to be around, pretty positive, etc. I mean, even [MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION] are good examples of what I'm thinking about. They're strong people but generally they're more fun and silly and overall really cool people. Not to give 8w7s more credit. 8w9s like Wind Up Rex seem to have a pretty positive demeanor as well.

That's right. The ones in the center are most "out of touch" with that facet of human existence--9s are most out of touch with rage, 3s are most out of touch with feeling, and 6s are most out of touch with guidance. Yeah, it's the tensions of the two other types that does it.

Ahh, okay. I kind of knew what I was trying to say, but the way you worded it makes it make much more sense now! Thank you. :D

I'd think tritype could influence this just as much, if not moreso. Wings can't alter your core motivations, only bring similar attributes and behaviors (the motivations are inherently part of this, but each type appears to be the result of both combined. The wing just tells you which outward characteristics you are more identified with).

Oh yeah, if you're triple reactive and I'm triple positive I'll definitely seem more positive outlook despite being surrounded by 2 reactive wings, etc. And you with reactive.

Interesting! So that's another part of receiving positive outlook influence. It doesn't just make for idealistic values in 1s, but as they become healthier they're much more forgiving and allow for more of one's own happiness. :)

I just wanted you to know Chanaynay that I'm here...you just can't see me. And once I figure out what the f%*¢ you guys are talking about I'll join the conversation. haha.

No, I think [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] 's interpretation is where I've gone with this in my mind but never really discovered anything that I felt was all that useful (on my own) so I look forward to seeing how this thread unfolds. Thanks for this.

I'm waiting for a response now miss ninja. :ninja:

I'm also still interested in what you have to say [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION].

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yayyyy!!!! I wanna go to Hawaii!!!! Yaayyyyy!!!!!!

I just thought you guys needed my input.