• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] PSA: stop typing everyone you see as 6s

B

brainheart

This whole six freak out thing will never make sense to me. On the whole, if I had to pick, six is probably my favorite type. And I'm not saying that to be diplomatic or anything. They are just cool, interesting, complex people. (Yes I'm married to one so I'm a little biased.)

Seriously, why do people freak the hell out about six? I'm asking, honestly, because I don't get it and I want some answers.

Octavarium

I agree with the sentiment of the OP. It's overly simplistic to say that 6s can't be aggressive because they're not an "aggressive type", but it's also true that not everyone who is aggressive is a 6, and not everyone who is aggressive because they're insecure and want to prove how much of a badass they are is a 6.

I think 6, as a type, tends to be defined in a much broader way than the others. [MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION] has already pointed out most of the reasons; the self-contradictory nature of the type, and the way the enneagram community seems to assume that anyone who has a six trait is a six. Honestly, with the way some people define the type, I don't know what it would take to not be a six.

Meanwhile, type 8 is defined so narrowly that it sometimes makes me wonder whether 8s (as described on internet forums) even exist. If you're being immature and overly aggressive, you're not an 8. If you ever feel vulnerable, or you're ever affected by any human emotion whatsoever other than anger, you're not an 8. Oh, and most self-typed 8s are "not animalistic enough" to be 8s, whatever that means.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but my point is that some forum members are very eager to put people into the 6 category (if you don't fit anywhere else you're probably a 6, because the opposite of a 6 is a 6) but if you type as an 8, (and the same thing happens with 4 and 5 to an extent) as [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] said, it's like you have to prove that you're a "real 8". 8 (and 4 and 5) are not standards that people can either meet or fail to live up to.

My final point on the subject of 8s is that, I don't know whether there are lots of people who want to be 8s, or if that's just something people on forums say, but speaking for myself, I have never wanted to be an 8. Maybe because I've never seriously considered the type for myself (I ruled out all the id types very quickly) and I don't have any desire to be a very different kind of person than who I actually am, but also because the descriptions just don't appeal to me. That's not to say I think 8 is a bad type (I'm not sure I've ever met an 8 IRL, so I don't really have an opinion on whether I tend to like/get along with them) but those Riso and Hudson descriptions that everyone supposedly aspires to, if anything, in their more exaggerated parts at least, make them seem like bullies with no conscience.

And my actual final point for this post is that, even if 6 is the most common type in the general population (and we don't have any evidence to back that up as far as I'm aware) that doesn't necessarily mean that 6 should be the most common type on typology forums. Maybe some types are more likely to be drawn to the Enneagram, or to internet forums, than others.

Octavarium

1s and 5s are less likely to deny it, though they can also mistype.

Why do you think this is? Is it just that they don't have the particular issues the other types have, which you listed in your post, or do you think there's something in particular about 1s and 5s that makes denial less likely?

Speaking of 1s, it seems like a very high percentage of the 1s who post on typology forums have mistyped at 6 at some time. They do have a lot in common; Sp 1s, especially with their anxiety and "negative anticipation" tend to relate to 6, and social 6 descriptions can sometimes sound somewhat 1-ish. In fact, 6/1 has always struck me as a much more similar pair of types than 6/8.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously, why do people freak the hell out about six? I'm asking, honestly, because I don't get it and I want some answers.
They're the most "boring". Descriptions paint them as insecure, rule abiding, loyal to groups and systems (i.e. part of the herd), which are way less cool flaws than being impulsive and prone to addiction (7), or being an angry, bulldozing asshole (8), for example. I particularly think it's the insecurity and almost milquetoaste traits described in type profiles which makes people averse to identifying as 6. And, as this thread testifies to, counterphobia is often forgotten or ignored, which is a hugely important aspect of Sixes since the phobic/counterphobic spectrum makes them the most diverse type in the way they go about their basic fear/motivation (since most Sixes fluctuate between phobia/counterphobia, tho one of them is usually the default state).

badger055

Permabanned
This whole six freak out thing will never make sense to me. On the whole, if I had to pick, six is probably my favorite type. And I'm not saying that to be diplomatic or anything. They are just cool, interesting, complex people. (Yes I'm married to one so I'm a little biased.)

Because 6s are balls of anxiety and insecurity. Just talking about 6s is like kicking a bee hive. Anyone with 6 influence goes into fight or flight mode. I already knew this thread was going to explode before I posted it.

B

brainheart

They're the most "boring". Descriptions paint them as insecure, rule abiding, loyal to groups and systems (i.e. part of the herd), which are way less cool flaws than being impulsive and prone to addiction (7), or being an angry, bulldozing asshole (8), for example. I particularly think it's the insecurity and almost milquetoaste traits described in type profiles which makes people averse to identifying as 6. And, as this thread testifies to, counterphobia is often forgotten or ignored, which is a hugely important aspect of Sixes since the phobic/counterphobic spectrum makes them the most diverse type in the way they go about their basic fear/motivation (since most Sixes fluctuate between phobia/counterphobia, tho one of them is usually the default state).

But they aren't the most boring. If anything, they're the contrary. Besides, they are loyal to a fault. Seriously, you cannot get a six to leave you. My husband (ESFP/6w7so/sx/631) was the first person I had a romantic relationship with who was presented with all of my drama and inner turmoil and said, "You know, I know this is going to be tough but I love you so I will stick through this." How can you not love that and think it's the most badass thing ever?

Also, as you say, most sixes oscillate between counterphobic and phobic which means there is never a dull moment. My sexual instinct loves that.

Sixes are the most truly punk rock people in existence.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

I agree with the sentiment of the OP. It's overly simplistic to say that 6s can't be aggressive because they're not an "aggressive type", but it's also true that not everyone who is aggressive is a 6, and not everyone who is aggressive because they're insecure and want to prove how much of a badass they are is a 6.

I think 6, as a type, tends to be defined in a much broader way than the others. [MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION] has already pointed out most of the reasons; the self-contradictory nature of the type, and the way the enneagram community seems to assume that anyone who has a six trait is a six. Honestly, with the way some people define the type, I don't know what it would take to not be a six.

Meanwhile, type 8 is defined so narrowly that it sometimes makes me wonder whether 8s (as described on internet forums) even exist. If you're being immature and overly aggressive, you're not an 8. If you ever feel vulnerable, or you're ever affected by any human emotion whatsoever other than anger, you're not an 8. Oh, and most self-typed 8s are "not animalistic enough" to be 8s, whatever that means.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but my point is that some forum members are very eager to put people into the 6 category (if you don't fit anywhere else you're probably a 6, because the opposite of a 6 is a 6) but if you type as an 8, (and the same thing happens with 4 and 5 to an extent) as [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] said, it's like you have to prove that you're a "real 8". 8 (and 4 and 5) are not standards that

people can either meet or fail to live up to.

My final point on the subject of 8s is that, I don't know whether there are lots of people who want to be 8s, or if that's just something people on forums say, but speaking for myself, I have never wanted to be an 8. Maybe because I've never seriously considered the type for myself (I ruled out all the id types very quickly) and I don't have any desire to be a very different kind of person than who I actually am, but also because the descriptions just don't appeal to me. That's not to say I think 8 is a bad type (I'm not sure I've ever met an 8 IRL, so I don't really have an opinion on whether I tend to like/get along with them) but those Riso and Hudson descriptions that everyone supposedly aspires to, if anything, in their more exaggerated parts at least, make them seem like bullies with no conscience.

And my actual final point for this post is that, even if 6 is the most common type in the general population (and we don't have any evidence to back that up as far as I'm aware) that doesn't necessarily mean that 6 should be the most common type on typology forums. Maybe some types are more likely to be drawn to the Enneagram, or to internet forums, than others.

Why do you think this is? Is it just that they don't have the particular issues the other types have, which you listed in your post, or do you think there's something in particular about 1s and 5s that makes denial less likely?

Speaking of 1s, it seems like a very high percentage of the 1s who post on typology forums have mistyped at 6 at some time. They do have a lot in common; Sp 1s, especially with their anxiety and "negative anticipation" tend to relate to 6, and social 6 descriptions can sometimes sound somewhat 1-ish. In fact, 6/1 has always struck me as a much more similar pair of types than 6/8.

SUCH A FUCKING CROCK OF SHIT I JUST LOST A LONG ASS FUCKING RESPONSE TO THESE

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But they aren't the most boring.
Well, you know. Stereotypes and misunderstandings become perpetuated by dilettants with superficial knowledge from poor and incomplete internet descriptions. Nothing new under the sun.

And the thing about loyalty was more to point out that the good and bad traits of Sixes aren't as cool and alluring as with other types. A lot of people interested in enneagram are in search of an identity and few wants to identify with unexotic attributes like loyal, reliable and anxious when they can get sexy traits like artistic, intense and moody or intellectual, innovative and nihilistic from other types.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Well, you know. Stereotypes and misunderstandings become perpetuated by dilettants with superficial knowledge from poor and incomplete internet descriptions. Nothing new under the sun.

It's *almost* like you're describing somebody in this very thread...

And the thing about loyalty was more to point out that the good and bad traits of Sixes aren't as cool and alluring as with other types. A lot of people interested in enneagram are in search of an identity and few wants to identify with unexotic attributes like loyal, reliable and anxious when they can get sexy traits like artistic, intense and moody or intellectual, innovative and nihilistic from other types.

You know, for someone with only 250 posts or so, what you do post always bears a disproportionately heavy weight with me, and what you have posted I almost invariably have found to be highly accurate and insightful.

badger055

Permabanned
Yes.

Though I agree that people tend too much to mistype people as 6. But they alos fail to identify true 6s.

Uh no that list represents the source of the problem. For some reason 6s and people with 6 influence think 7 traits are 6 traits. Like no one could possibly have 7 traits they must be doing it out of insecurity.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's *almost* like you're describing somebody in this very thread...
:D

Getting real tired of OP's bullshit. It's what prompted me to post in the first place.

You know, for someone with only 250 posts or so, what you do post always bears a disproportionately heavy weight with me, and what you have posted I almost invariably have found to be highly accurate and insightful.
Thanks man. I lurk here a whole lot and have been since even before I registered in 2010, so I guess I've accumulated a lot of knowledge on typology over the years. I almost only post whenever I find someone to be blatantly wrong or when I feel an important point has been overlooked. I appreciate your kind words (and the fact that if someone ever doubts the aggression of type 6, I could just point them in your direction). :cheers:

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
It's almost like it is some sort of an initiation process in the 8 forum that says you need to prove your 8ness. It kind of ties into this thread because as always most people are labeled a 6. I don't know about how other types feel but a lot of proclaimed 8s seem to be proud of their type, so being told they are 6 is the ultimate way to troll them. I can't stand reading the 8 forum, most of the posts sicken me so I pretty much stopped going in.
Yup. The 8 forum is basically a home base for character assassinations under the guise of "type suggestions." Lol @ "initiation process" and "prove your 8ness" haha.

While I was there I received a lot of 4, 1, 7, and 3 suggestions and only a couple of 6 suggestions. Apparently my angst wasn't cerebral enough for 6 suggestions. The few 6 suggestions I did receive were impressive though. One such "group character assassination" was obnoxious enough that I retired for a few months because I just didn't want to deal with it.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He's really easy going and it's very difficult to push his buttons but if I ever do, I get a friendly reminder not to. Whenever he actually is mad about something there's no sense that he's out of control, he just gets a bit louder. That's pretty rare though.
I would have said I was the opposite--kind of volatile and easy to annoy. About IRL stuff, not generally about personality theory or on internet forums.

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was because 6 sounded like a "normal" or "common" person, whatever that is suppose to mean and in that society is more/less based on a 6 way of thinking.
I'd guess that it was the 9s who represent the "common man". Sixes are sometimes said to be the most "human" type, meaning that they face issues representative of humanity at large (surviving in dangerous surroundings, interdependence, interpersonal authority, etc).

If you read Riso and Hudon's words about 6s at a less healthy level, it does kind of grasp a broader social phenomenon:

Fearing that they have ruined their security, they become panicky, volatile, and self-disparaging with acute inferiority feelings. Seeing themselves as defenseless, they seek out a stronger authority or belief to resolve all problems. Highly divisive, disparaging and berating others

Isn't this kind of how society behaves as a whole during a social crisis? Rely on the strong man for security; blame outsiders. Every tribe for itself. I live in a war-torn country, and like many, people here are happy to settle for an iron-fisted dictator because he keeps stability and makes the danger go away.

So I think that's kind of what people are getting at in your post.

Mistyping is part of the journey. I also find it funny that people are so offended when they think a 6 is mistyping, but if a 4 or 8 is mistyped at another number nobody cares?
Thanks for sharing your story here. It was one of the more egregious things I think I've witnessed on that particular forum; I didn't even realize how extensive it was till you told me about it later.

I guess I don't need to rehash anything you said (I could go through blow by blow, but will spare everyone the rambling). I'd like to mention that in many instances, you're not even allowed to have an 8-fix. People used rather underhanded tactics to try to prove to me I wasn't 8-fixed--putting up material I'd sent confidentially via PM, taking instances of my life out of context, or simply arguing to me using an absurdly poor grasp of the theory at hand.

I recall copying almost word-for-word from Naranjo at one point, only to be told it was more 3 or 7, for instance. It just made me wonder why everyone's egos appear to be so pegged to people not being/being influenced by type 8.

On that forum (couple of years ago), I went mistyped for almost a year. Toward the end, I just began saying things counter to type all the time, and still no one had the balls to correct that. The most I got was "Sanjuro's a very odd 6". Some folks sent me PMs, but basically, the community seemed unwilling to see me another way. I just wonder, Why? If I'd tried to type as 4 or 8 (both of which are FAR more like me, as later research has shown) I would have been argued into retirement, same as you, Animal.

It's almost like it is some sort of an initiation process in the 8 forum that says you need to prove your 8ness. It kind of ties into this thread because as always most people are labeled a 6. I don't know about how other types feel but a lot of proclaimed 8s seem to be proud of their type, so being told they are 6 is the ultimate way to troll them. I can't stand reading the 8 forum, most of the posts sicken me so I pretty much stopped going in.
LOL, I thought this was funny, TreeBob. I know the 8 forum of which you speak. It's like one of those saloons in the Wild West where there are all these weird-shaped guys who think they're real "tough" because they got tattoos, and everyone just sort of makes the world a worse place. A number of real 8s said they stayed away from commenting there for this exact reason.

Too bad that there's a certain segment of the population that will be denied personal growth simply for existing. But that's alright, 8s didn't need personal growth anyway, right? Personal growth is for SISSIES.

I think others have addressed the question fairly--perceptions of it being common, misunderstanding the type due to complexity, etc.

In my experience, I started off reading about the types in Wisdom of the Enneagram. I didn't have any biases. Actually, I liked 6 a lot. (This was maybe 15 years ago when I first learned about the enneagram; I didn't know anything existed beyond that particular book, incidentally).

Problem was when I went to research things online, someone usually had an unfavorable comment about the type. Every time. Sixes were neurotic, paranoid, dithering, indecisive, helpless, incompetent, whatever bullshit people thought they could get away with spewing. Literally no one said anything good about the type; even in comparison with other types, sixes were found to be lacking. "Sixes are pseudo-7s", "Sixes are like 8s, but weaker. They're wannabes if they mistype this way", "Sixes are like 4s, but not as creative. They just wannabe special if they mistype this way" kind of thinking. Most of the time, that's not spelled out so directly, but you get the sense the type is just chronically lacking, which is both untrue and sad.

As someone considering type 6 as my core during this time (again, this was years ago, in college), I basically no longer wanted to be the type. It also pricked my own insecurities (If I'm a 6, does that mean I'm not speshul enough?? Thank God, I've grown up since then). I came off with an unfavorable impression of the type, and apparently I wasn't the only one.

There's lots of misinformation, which I think is a major part of it. Plus, you get the snowball effect on forums--some people say something is true and everyone believes it and spreads it. The fact that we're having this conversation is proof.

Thanks. I recently observed someone arguing (in essence) that if you don't believe you're absolutely indestructible and the most powerful being in the vicinity, you can't be an 8. You're a cp6 instead.

Real 8s have corroborated that this premise is both false and delusional.

As I said before in this thread and post, I mentioned many things about myself that spoke against core 6 (in retrospect, pretty much everything I said did), yet this wasn't enough. I know the nature of the 6 core sometimes lends itself to questioning or observing others rather than themselves, but come on.

Frankly, the material is in the hands of the uneducated and ignorant, and therefore it is bound to be abused.

See above. I am strongly animalistic myself, yet I was laughed at when I suggested that might indicate an 8-fix. Ooooh are you an animal today, Sanjuro? Yes I am.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but my point is that some forum members are very eager to put people into the 6 category (if you don't fit anywhere else you're probably a 6, because the opposite of a 6 is a 6) but if you type as an 8, (and the same thing happens with 4 and 5 to an extent) as [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] said, it's like you have to prove that you're a "real 8". 8 (and 4 and 5) are not standards that people can either meet or fail to live up to.
I'd fail to live up to any of those types, which incidentally, was a reason it was hard for me to figure out and accept my core. By typing this way, I am doomed to feel eternally "not good enough" in an online forum context, when this stuff SHOULD be about personal growth and the inner journey.

I think the main problem with the RH description is that they don't emphasize self-interest nearly enough. Apparently, many cp6s and even some 1s can see themselves in this type more readily than their own type.

Because 6s are balls of anxiety and insecurity. Just talking about 6s is like kicking a bee hive. Anyone with 6 influence goes into fight or flight mode. I already knew this thread was going to explode before I posted it.
LOL GUILTY!!!!

And you call yourself social-last ;)

While I was there I received a lot of 4, 1, 7, and 3 suggestions and only a couple of 6 suggestions. Apparently my angst wasn't cerebral enough for 6 suggestions. The few 6 suggestions I did receive were impressive though. One such "group character assassination" was obnoxious enough that I retired for a few months because I just didn't want to deal with it.
Yes, they do use character assassination, which is frankly way WAY below the belt. I'm actually glad that, so far, Typology Central hasn't exhibited this phenomenon nearly to the same degree. We can actually sit around discussing these issues in a largely adult manner (OK, some people have been wacky, but it's not been as ugly as many other places).

You guys rock.

Octavarium

I'd hardly say this thread has "exploded".

Octavarium

Thanks. I recently observed someone arguing (in essence) that if you don't believe you're absolutely indestructible and the most powerful being in the vicinity, you can't be an 8. You're a cp6 instead.

Real 8s have corroborated that this premise is both false and delusional.

I'm just going to respond to this by quoting an old blog post by Lynette Sheppard:

Lynette Sheppard said:
Sevens are not committed. Eights don’t get their feelings hurt. Ones hold grudges. Not true. These are potential manifestations of the worldviews informing Sevens, Eights, and Ones. But don’t believe everything you read. ...

Eights may project invulnerability coming from a worldview where “only the strong survive”. But let me tell you that I know many a tenderhearted Eight of both genders whose feelings have been bruised because of the assumption that they are touch and don’t feel pain.
Link: http://everydayenneagramblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/enneagram-errors-part-deux.html

See above. I am strongly animalistic myself, yet I was laughed at when I suggested that might indicate an 8-fix. Ooooh are you an animal today, Sanjuro? Yes I am.
I guess it just seems a bit odd to me to describe a type as "animalistic" or "the most human". We're all human, right? And we're all animals. So are some of us really "more human" or "more animalistic" than others?

I think the main problem with the RH description is that they don't emphasize self-interest nearly enough. Apparently, many cp6s and even some 1s can see themselves in this type more readily than their own type.
There are some external similarities, and both 6/8 and 1/8 have interesting parallels. But when you look at the difference in the internal worldview/perceptions of reality/drives/motivations/ETC, the difference between an id type and a superego type seems quite clear. On the other hand, maybe some people are on the borderline, so it might not be so easy to tell for them.

Yes, they do use character assassination, which is frankly way WAY below the belt. I'm actually glad that, so far, Typology Central hasn't exhibited this phenomenon nearly to the same degree. We can actually sit around discussing these issues in a largely adult manner (OK, some people have been wacky, but it's not been as ugly as many other places).

You guys rock.

That's why I came over here. Less drama, more adult discussion (so far, anyway).

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess it just seems a bit odd to me to describe a type as "animalistic" or "the most human". We're all human, right? And we're all animals. So are some of us really "more human" or "more animalistic" than others?
I think you're right about this. We're people first. And I've met many individuals--not all of whom were influenced by type 8--who identified as being "an animal". Humans are one of the species, after all.

There are some external similarities, and both 6/8 and 1/8 have interesting parallels. But when you look at the difference in the internal worldview/perceptions of reality/drives/motivations/ETC, the difference between an id type and a superego type seems quite clear. On the other hand, maybe some people are on the borderline, so it might not be so easy to tell for them.
It took me many years to figure out my core type, with much mistyping, and I had to get into the theory quite deeply (and forget a lot about the descriptions) in order to see it. Honestly, it's not always all that obvious, especially when the individual in question has used many secondary strategies to cope with life.

That's why I came over here. Less drama, more adult discussion (so far, anyway).
Let's hope it remains. ;)

Octavarium

It took me many years to figure out my core type, with much mistyping, and I had to get into the theory quite deeply (and forget a lot about the descriptions) in order to see it. Honestly, it's not always all that obvious, especially when the individual in question has used many secondary strategies to cope with life.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying core type should be obvious. I've had enough trouble with that myself. I just meant that the id and superego types, to me, seem quite different from each other, so it surprises me that so many people are struggling to decide between 6/8 or 1/8.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION]

Eminem is a 7w8. Again he gets typed that because he is aggressive and everyone here thinks anyone aggressive is a 6. No he's a 7w8.

No dude. He is way too reactive to be a 7w8.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think so too. I used to know a cp6w7 so/sx and he was waaaay violent. Basically if his ego felt threatened. He was very sensitive, an emotional wreck, to say the least. He reacted in bursts of violence, threats and screaming. But he had lots of parental issues, I think. I still hate him though. What's more everyone seemed to like him, maybe out of fear. Stupid people.

Yep, I believe it.