• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] PSA: stop typing everyone you see as 6s

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nah, I've got the right person.

Kurosawa frame and all.

I was exaggerating, intentionally.

I don't trust your self-typing, tho.

No offense. I have absolutely nothing against you. I actually have always liked you.

You have this particular quality, tho... very unique to you... like nobody else on the forum...
Why thank you. You're wrong about me changing my type, though. I've discussed influences in my life, and have discussed what a variety of types mean to me, but I guarantee I haven't changed my type more than once. I DO trust my self typing. It will not change.

Look. I'm putting my signature here:

*triple reactive*
si-inf
awesome owl

It is guaranteed to be the same in 6 months.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think feeling insulted to be a certain type is necessarily proof of being that type, however.

I don't think so either; I'm just saying that's why I'm giving him no sympathy. All of my interactions with him (minus my first joke post at the beginning) in this thread were more focused on breaking down his arguments which I found invalid. I had no intention of talking about his type beyond my first post here.

Luckily, I've advanced beyond my first impressions!

I'm glad you have. :) I think it's very much often a stage for those learning the subject - I went through that period as well.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
N

(Which, btw, doesn't help.)

(It looks super 6ish.)
Ah, so that's what this is about.

Sorry, Zara, I'm not a 6. I tried brainwashing myself into and everything.

Though I maintain enjoying Kurosawa has nothing to do with type 6.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Why thank you. You're wrong about me changing my type, though. I've discussed influences in my life, and have discussed what a variety of types mean to me, but I guarantee I haven't changed my type more than once. I DO trust my self typing. It will not change.

Look. I'm putting my signature here:

*triple reactive*
si-inf
awesome owl

It is guaranteed to be the same in 6 months.

Why not drop the whole kimono and just say exactly what you are?

MBTI type - core type + wing, stronger fix + wing, weaker fix + wing - instinctual stacking

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why not drop the whole kimono and just say exactly what you are?

MBTI type - core type + wing, stronger fix + wing, weaker fix + wing - instinctual stacking
A better question is, why not keep on the kimono and deal with Real Life?

Answer: Well, because I like to arouse Zarathustra's suspicions.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unsolicited typing of someone else is pretty much always a bad idea, and results in one or both parties getting pissed off. Indeed it does come across as insulting a lot of the time. Granted, sometimes it welcomed, but that's mostly if individuals have a good rapport with each other, and it's relavant to the discussion. It's when it's just takes somewhat out of left field that it comes out bad.

Yea, I pretty much hate any unsolicited advice. On all subjects.

I don't believe this is a "type me" thread though. So I'm more inclined to agree with the OP saying 6's can be a default typing. (This idea alone...not the idea and the person-hood of the OP combined.)

But the problem with that is that if Chanaynay is right and he really does hate 6's...then the OP in itself is proven wrong.

Cause everyone knows in enneagram you most likely are what grates you...(the majority of the time. lol)

G

Glycerine

Are you all sure he's not actually a 3, he seems obsessed with playing the bad ass to me, unaware that he's playing it too, like a 3 would be.

I doubt that... 3s are typically obsessed with "impression management". Some may sorely lack in self-awareness but most seem to be acutely aware about the impression they are trying to convey and whether or not it's working. I would argue that they tend to try to play up the "coolness" factor rather than necessarily being "bad-ass".

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
A better question is, why not keep on the kimono and deal with Real Life?

Answer: Well, because I like to arouse Zarathustra's suspicions.

Suit yourself.

I just feel like 2/3 of your posts I've read mention your always being (mis)typed a 6.

And your avatar (despite my liking it) might be part of the reason.

:shrug:

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:huh:

When did I say you were?

Didn't say it did...

Just said your avatar is very 6ish...
Ah, well given that you placed the lines as you did, with the wording you did, it appeared to insinuate you thought I was a 6. You knew that, because you're a very shrewd individual.

As in, the look on the guy's face is the classic 6 look.
Well, he's thoughtful. The character was an 8 however...I believe the actor was an 8 as well. Triple reactive, like me. One of the reasons he's my mascot.

Suit yourself.

I just feel like 2/3 of your posts I've read mention your always being (mis)typed a 6.

And that might be part of the reason.

:shrug:
That may be it. It was a rather significant event in my online life, where people literally let blows come to blows over the little number under my avatar. Deserves comment, I'd say--I disdain such online hypocrisy. That, and I want to prevent someone else from going down that road.

You may be reading the wrong posts, too...I doubt I've mentioned that story more than 10-15 times out of a total of what, 500+ posts now?

PS, I like you back. You've got a sense of humor that reminds me of my father's (he's also the same tritype as you. Funny, these patterns.)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Interesting.

images

badger055

Permabanned
I think 3s would recognize when their attempts to influence or convince people are blatantly failing though.

As far as the OP is concerned, you can be whatever you like, I don't care.

I doubt that... 3s are typically obsessed with "impression management". Some may sorely lack in self-awareness but most seem to be acutely aware about the impression they are trying to convey and whether or not it's working. I would argue that they tend to try to play up the "coolness" factor rather than necessarily being "bad-ass".

Oh look you guys are using logic I'm so proud *wipes tear*

But the problem with that is that if Chanaynay is right and he really does hate 6's...then the OP in itself is proven wrong.

Cause everyone knows in enneagram you most likely are what grates you...(the majority of the time. lol)

oh no what happened to the logic

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh no what happened to the logic

Did you read the sentences before that? lol This was meant in jest, silly rabbit!

I already stated my opinion. I am inclined to agree with what you're saying in the OP. I know nothing of your personality...

Furthermore the validity of the idea that you've presented has nothing to do with your personality imo.

Merely pointing out the another side of things. I like to keep things balanced. Sorry to offend.

Last edited:

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't think [MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION] is a 6

[MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION] I thought 9w8 because you are a lot like a friend of mine but now I think 8w9

To be fair, 6s are the most common type and there should be more of them here than there are. It's like a game, who is the secret 6? However I don't think finger pointing improves the quality of discussion here, so I've been trying to do it less.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION]
You will never see an enneagram 2 be an aggressive mean person.
you seem to be forgetting that 2s have a line to 8. the instinctual themes for 2 are as follows
Self Preservation 2: Egocentrism/Privilege
Social 2: Ambition
Sexual 2: Aggression/Seduction
^plenty of room for aggression no matter which subtype you're looking at.

some of the biggest bitches/douchebags I've ever met have been E2

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
1. Enneagram is about compulsive defense strategies. While behavior can indicate this, a simple category like "aggressive" is not sufficient to figure out an enneatype. Any type can have an aggressive or assertive side. Even 9s - I have seen an angry 9, it's not pretty.

2. 6 is overtyped and misunderstood. My theory is that the reason people take 6 suggestions as an insult, and spew them to others as an insult, is because people fear or hate what they can't understand. Type 6 is a complicated type. They are often creative, cryptic, and thinking on many levels at once. I've never met anyone more complicated than a 6. 4's are self-expressive but 6's are creative - sometimes more creative than 4s, because they are driven to push boundaries and challenge systems, whereas 4s are more driven to self-express. A 4's creative work is often autobiographical whereas a 6's comes from the mind and a slew of thoughts that no one else can figure out. So the 6 typing becomes an insult in such communities where the masses simply CANNOT GRASP THEIR COMPLEXITY, whereas, offline, when a 6 encounters enneagram and types herself, she feels just as relieved as any person who understands more about themselves via enneagram.

3. A 6 is not more likely to deny their type than anyone else. I understand projection but there are reasons for various types to deny their typing. 1s and 5s are less likely to deny it, though they can also mistype. Most other types will come up with reasons to mistype. For type 2, 3, 4 they believe they are their image, so if that doesn't match their type description they will mistype. For 6s it's projection, 7s don't want to admit what's wrong with them. Real 8s who keep calm and stay in control won't relate to the overly aggressive descriptions. 9s mold with others and don't look inward. And so forth. 1s mistype as 5s a lot and 5s mistype sometimes because they are not as isolated as described; they have lines to 7 and 8 and have friends and can laugh in public and so forth.

4. The word "intense" SHOULD be attributed to 6 instead of 8. 8s have an intense physical presence and directed rage, and their 'presence of mind' / here-and-nowness ?? in general can be intense. But it is 6s who are most intense in the eyes. Their eyes are the eye of a storm of thoughts spinning around. Look in the eyes of Amy Lee, Matt Bellamy. Music written by 6's is CONSTANT STREAM OF INTENSITY because that is a mirror of what their minds look like. The dynamics and cadences might change but the intensity DOES NOT wax and wane, it is ever present. This is why 6's mistype as 8s and 4s - because descriptions never pay homage to their very obvious intensity. 6s know they are intense, mentally intense, too intense. They can see what their own eyes look like in photos and they know of the intensity in their minds. Since descriptions simply focus on their fears and shortcomings, and don't tend to cover intensity except for 8s, 5s and 4s and SX types - 6s may end up mistyping as 5s, 8s or 4s. This honest and likely mistake should not be mistaken for projection.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
That's bullshit. Many counter-phobic 6's are as aggressive as 8's. Take Eminem for example or Hitler.
I think so too. I used to know a cp6w7 so/sx and he was waaaay violent. Basically if his ego felt threatened. He was very sensitive, an emotional wreck, to say the least. He reacted in bursts of violence, threats and screaming. But he had lots of parental issues, I think. I still hate him though. What's more everyone seemed to like him, maybe out of fear. Stupid people.