12 Last

Thread: Claudio Naranjo

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Lightbulb Claudio Naranjo

I was doing a lot of digging into the MBTI and Enneagram sections of youtube this weekend, and ran across a plethora of amazing information. One piece, which I was more struck by than any other, was this interview with Claudio Naranjo (often referred to as the "Mother" of the Enneagram of Personality). I found this interview extremely illuminating, as he tells all kinds of stories about his life, his time at the Arica Institute in Chile with Oscar Ichazo (the "Father" of the Enneagram of Personality), G.I. Gurdjieff (the teacher of the Ancient Enneagram [not of personality, but the symbol and its meaning itself]), Esalen, Fritz Perls, SAT (his group, "Seekers After Truth", which he started in Berkeley in the 70s, and from which sprang forth most of the Enneagram teachers we know today), et al.

I've been considering starting this thread for a while, and I figure it can serve as a place to share information anybody comes across about Naranjo, whether video, audio, written, or anything else they might deem applicable.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    3w8
    Socionics
    SLE Fi

Aside from the outdated Freudianism, Naranjo is awesome. He's my favorite person that does enneagram at all ever. So good without any of the fluffy stereotypes or good parts that other authors have.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I've been considering starting this thread for a while, and I figure it can serve as a place to share information anybody comes across about Naranjo, whether video, audio, written, or anything else they might deem applicable.
    You should read his Character and Neurosis if you find him informative, and watch his presentations on enneagram types.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Subscribed! I hear about Naranjo all the time and have trouble finding good resources when I search for them.

I'm ready to learn!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

If I remember maybe I will watch this after my neuro exam. Waaay too long for procrastinating though :P
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

brainheart

I like Naranjo, I think he's a good foundation, kind of like how Jung is for cognitive functions. That said, though, I don't think he's the be-all-end-all. As @foxonstilts says, he's got this outdated Freud fixation, and his whole premise is about extreme neuroticism, so it's not going to apply to a lot of people unless they are really unhealthy. He is a total gestalt guy, big on metaphors, which I like as an INFP, but I think people often take him too literally which is too bad.

Not only that, it's like people see him as the pure distilled essence of enneagram that you shouldn't fuck with, and all of the later enneagram theorists strayed and messed it up blah blah and it gets you thinking that people consider him Jesus and that everything after is Christianity messing up the real message. I mean, what's the point of a theory if you can't move forward with it, expand it, put out some new ideas? Some of those ideas are going to be stupid and wrong, but some will be pretty insightful and valid.

Also, I think it's interesting that people would say he doesn't do annoying stereotypes. I think he is huge on the stereotypes, likely more than anyone else. Example: You can tell the difference between threes and fours because four is like the ballet dancer and three is like the fake lady with perfect makeup. He says and writes things like this all the time. But as I said before, people often take this too literally, when he's probably expecting people to read between the lines.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

@brainheart - I have a similar estimation of him. I agree that he speaks in pure metaphor at times, and I think that can be the source of his "stereotypes". Like Jung, there's something kind of incomplete about his theory, and it has benefitted from being "built on".
    Some of his type descriptions are better than others (his e9 type has always struck me as missing something, much as Jung's Fe description reads), but they have this "purity" to them where the fundamental concept of an ego fix becomes very clear. Like Jung's types, they're kind of extreme, but need to be to make the point. Other author's descriptions can sound more like "real people" but they skim the surface too much, so even as Naranjo is "narrow", he shows more deep insights.

Helen Palmer is really insightful too though, IMO. It's like:
    Naranjo is to Jung what
    Sandra Maitri is to Isabel Myers what
    Don Riso is to David Keirsey

Thanks for the video @Zarathustra.
    What do you guys think his MBTI/Jungian type is? I think he self-types as a 5 in enneagram, but that might be up for debate still.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Thanks for the video @Zarathustra.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    What do you guys think his MBTI/Jungian type is? I think he self-types as a 5 in enneagram, but that might be up for debate still.
    I don't really have a read on him MBTI-wise...

I think he probably is a 5, and so INTP has been in my mind, but, I dunno...

He very well could be NF...

I'll have to watch more.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Subscribed as well. That guy is awesome.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    You should read his Character and Neurosis...
    It's within arms reach.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    ...and watch his presentations on enneagram types.
    These were cool.

Thank you.