• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] When did you experience your wing?

G

garbage

As one becomes more mature and self-aware, he begins to recognize his own motivations--which can be represented by any lil' spot on the Enneagram's continuum of (and between) types. It's not a far leap to say that the process of digging that rabbit hole eventually pinpoints a wing, for those who are actually more flavored by one. The shovel of introspection takes some time to get there. Sure, recognition in the 20s could be about right.

I've always been motivated by value. Found that the best way to acquire it is to stand out from the crowd--to embrace idiosyncracy and uniqueness--rather than compete in the same games that they do. Blammo; that's pretty clearly 3w4.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
wait how do you know you've experienced your wing? this is a legit question, because I don't know if I have.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] I believe it's a very legit question. Can you see either of the following in yourself (even if just a bit)?:

A) Obsessive tendency to study or delve into subjects that interest you and tune out the world in order to do so. Looking at things analytically, beating a dead horse and otherwise over-thinking. Comfort in one's own mind and struggle with avarice.

B) Desiring a large variety of experiences and having large amount of energy to pursue them. A tendency to distract one's self from introspection or inner work by staying busy with exciting and stimulating activities. Comfort in the world and struggle with gluttony.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] I believe it's a very legit question. Can you see either of the following in yourself (even if just a bit)?:

A) Obsessive tendency to study or delve into subjects that interest you and tune out the world in order to do so. Looking at things analytically, beating a dead horse and otherwise over-thinking. Comfort in one's own mind and struggle with avarice.

B) Desiring a large variety of experiences and having large amount of energy to pursue them. A tendency to distract one's self from introspection or inner work by staying busy with exciting and stimulating activities. Comfort in the world and struggle with gluttony.
The first thing I've always done, the second I'm beginning to do, but not really

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There you are then, 6w5 (which I agree with from what I've seen you post). :)

G

Ginkgo

Was far more into avarice than flattery even as a young one.

This theory would lead me to believe I was actually a 5 if I weren't so skeptical.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I feel like w7 has always been a part of me and my type, very integrated. Part of my security as a 6 includes 7ish needs/desires like variety, novelty, ability to escape, and positivity.

Dang. Didn't realize just how much w5 I engage til reading this. Guess it's a lot.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Because I'm counter - gluttony, I relate more to the 5 description here. So that's why it took so long to even acknowledge my 7 wing.

I learned that my form of distraction/ escape is actually tuning out the world by delving into intrests. Typology being a prime example lol.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because I'm counter - gluttony, I relate more to the 5 description here. So that's why it took so long to even acknowledge my 7 wing.

I learned that my form of distraction/ escape is actually tuning out the world by delving into intrests. Typology being a prime example lol.

Forgive me for being aghast at this but I do not understand. By definition 5 and 7 have opposite anxiety points (5 of the outside world, and 7 of their inner thoughts/feelings) so how does the above make sense? It sounds to me like a fancy way of saying you have a 5 wing but calling it something else entirely. I do not mean to be abrasive (truly, I'm learning like anyone else) but would you mind providing a link or book source on which you are basing the theory of "counter gluttony". As far as I have read, six is the only type with a "counter" aspect (and counter phobia does not result in 6 looking like another type).

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Forgive me for being aghast at this but I do not understand. By definition 5 and 7 have opposite anxiety points (5 of the outside world, and 7 of their inner thoughts/feelings) so how does the above make sense? It sounds to me like a fancy way of saying you have a 5 wing but calling it something else entirely. I do not mean to be abrasive (truly, I'm learning like anyone else) but would you mind providing a link or book source on which you are basing the theory of "counter gluttony". As far as I have read, six is the only type with a "counter" aspect (and counter phobia does not result in 6 looking like another type).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWKFFCGBPc

Start it at about 6:50!!

I'm the person he's describing. I sacrifice gluttony. I sacrifice the short term (tert. Se) for the long term (aux Ni, ruthless Te) ... it also translates to this "Anti Pig" that he talks about. It is me.

It sounds like a 1, looks like a 5, but is a counter 7.

And I'm not 100% 7. I am 100% 6...and about 98% counter gluttony 7.

So I'm 6w7. :D

And no offense was taken ;)

S

Stansmith

I'm guessing my 5-wing manifests as an obsessiveness in regards to certain topics of interest, which I can remember having since I was around 12 or 13.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure whether that's true but it would be interesting if it is :) I was very oneish as a child but I did have some twoish traits because my mom is a type two. Then during adolescence I seemed to be constantly at four but at about the age of 19 or 20 I became more aware of my two wing and how to get the best out of it and how it supports my core type. So drawing from personal experience I'm inclined to believe this :)