• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] How did you determine your motivational fear?

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION] have you considered E8 ?

When you read about enneagram, focus on the core fears.
Don't spoil the movie with previews of the descriptions ;)

I must be honest in that I'm not in the best of energies lately. Not negative. Just fairly spent. I haven't my typical enthusiastic energy to give. But you are more than welcome to meet me half way. Read E8 and tell me what you think. Remember that this is a denial type which is to say, be honest with yourself. Many people are mistyped for no other reason than they focus on what the ego wants to hear. Everyone has their "bullshit". But we can chuck it out the window till we own it, ya know what I mean. ;)

You're enthusiastic and eager which is good. Curious to. You might even be an 8w7. :)

Let me know what you think after you've read at least 3 articles (new to this site so not sure what article selection you have) but there is always the google gods to consult if need be. :p

p.s. The color question was, How does that make you 'feel'. But no matter, I look forward to what you think after you've read some. :)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION] have you considered E8 ?

Oh yes I have, it's tentatively in my profile too :)

When you read about enneagram, focus on the core fears.
Don't spoil the movie with previews of the descriptions ;)

I'm afraid I started the wrong way because I started with descriptions in an enneagram book that my brother had. :p

I have since then discovered the core stuff, though it doesn't mean it's easy to understand all of it. Esp as these fears are hidden by default anyway.

I must be honest in that I'm not in the best of energies lately. Not negative. Just fairly spent. I haven't my typical enthusiastic energy to give. But you are more than welcome to meet me half way. Read E8 and tell me what you think. Remember that this is a denial type which is to say, be honest with yourself. Many people are mistyped for no other reason than they focus on what the ego wants to hear. Everyone has their "bullshit". But we can chuck it out the window till we own it, ya know what I mean. ;)

Yes, all that's why I'm trying to get so deep into this. :)

Sorry about the energy issues.

You're enthusiastic and eager which is good. Curious to. You might even be an 8w7. :)

That's actually a pretty good description of me :) 8w7 yeah could be ;p

Let me know what you think after you've read at least 3 articles (new to this site so not sure what article selection you have) but there is always the google gods to consult if need be. :p

"What I think", this is pretty generic. Do you want me to PM you on that? It would be too long for this thread

p.s. The color question was, How does that make you 'feel'. But no matter, I look forward to what you think after you've read some. :)

Feel energy :) I really can't describe it better than that... Why did you ask about colours though? What do colours mean to you in this context?

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION] (haven't read your profile so didn't know). But remember all of this takes time to really digest everything. So take your time. And stop saying sorry silly >.<

A persons energy can often be associated with 'favorites'. It's hard to explain. Random questions often elicit insight for me. Along with a whole bunch of other stuff (patterns) in my head and I can't explain it any more than you can describe the feeling of energy. Lol!

Last edited:

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION] (haven't read your profile so didn't know). But remember all of this takes time to really digest everything. Counter phobic 6 looks like 7 for instance. So take your time. And stop saying sorry silly >.<

A persons energy can be often be associated with 'favorites'. It's hard to explain. Random questions often elicit insight for me. Along with a whole bunch of other stuff (patterns) in my head and I can't explain it any more than you can describe the feeling of energy. Lol!

So what colours did you associate with personalities? :p I'm really curious.

Btw you didn't answer if you wanted me to PM you on the issue as above mentioned, or did you just mean to ask about whether I think 8 is a possible typing for me (that is, a Yes/No type of answer)?

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what colours did you associate with personalities? :p I'm really curious.

Btw you didn't answer if you wanted me to PM you on the issue as above mentioned, or did you just mean to ask about whether I think 8 is a possible typing for me (that is, a Yes/No type of answer)?

I'm sorry , I didn't mean to avoid the question. I'm really low energy lately so can't really help you in a one on one scenario in order to determine your type. My apologies. If you post your thoughts in a thread I might reply when I have time and energy to do so, if it's not personal per se :)

I do believe I have a good idea what your core type is with a dominant wing. But it's not my job to tell you what you are. But if you answer this honestly it might help clarify which is the core ... "Why are you here? Why are you wanting to know your type? What will you get that is important from knowing your type accurately?" ... And keep your answer one word. And don't rush it. Really think about it. That might help clarify your deeper motivations.

If you answer that I can ask more questions but all of my questions will be the same.

"What do you get that is important .. From 'that' ? "

You answer. Then ask the question again (that being your previous answer).

Layer by layer, unravel your mind. But this is serious introspection in a VERY, fuck the bullshit type of way.

I hope that helps. Again, my apologies if I can't give you what you think you need. But in reality, I'm giving you exactly what you need. The opportunity for you to figure it out yourself. If I tell you what I think, it'll only taint the process for the outcome to make any difference.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry , I didn't mean to avoid the question. I'm really low energy lately so can't really help you in a one on one scenario in order to determine your type. My apologies. If you post your thoughts in a thread I might reply when I have time and energy to do so, if it's not personal per se :)

No worries. Seems like you're really good with paying attention to your needs being a type 2 :) Hehe :)

I do believe I have a good idea what your core type is with a dominant wing. But it's not my job to tell you what you are. But if you answer this honestly it might help clarify which is the core ... "Why are you here? Why are you wanting to know your type? What will you get that is important from knowing your type accurately?" ... And keep your answer one word. And don't rush it. Really think about it. That might help clarify your deeper motivations.

I'm just trying to understand myself more. By default I have very low self-consciousness. That has its advantages but some disadvantages too - in terms of not really being aware of what I am like and why etc.

Self-improvement resulting from being more aware would be nice too.

I believe I have already taken some steps for the former goal (what/why I am like...). But I'm sure I can go on further.

If you answer that I can ask more questions but all of my questions will be the same.

"What do you get that is important .. From 'that' ? "

You answer. Then ask the question again (that being your previous answer).

Layer by layer, unravel your mind. But this is serious introspection in a VERY, fuck the bullshit type of way.

I see :)

I hope that helps. Again, my apologies if I can't give you what you think you need. But in reality, I'm giving you exactly what you need. The opportunity for you to figure it out yourself. If I tell you what I think, it'll only taint the process for the outcome to make any difference.

Well no worries about that, I prefer to figure out things for myself even if I'm curious about what others think.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well no worries about that, I prefer to figure out things for myself even if I'm curious about what others think.

why is it important to understand yourself more ?

what preceded (event) that made you want to understand yourself more ?

What are you going to get that is important from knowing what others think about you ? (or what your enng type is).

If you answer these questions to yourself honestly,
I have no doubt you're capable of hitting the nail on the head with sifting out what your true motivations (core fears) etc. are. :)

I know I'm not giving easily. But I do very much hope I've helped. :)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why is it important to understand yourself more ?

What I said about self-improvement. Have some issues as well that maybe I can understand better. Mostly society related things.

Also, to have a sense of identity on a more abstract level. I have a more basic concrete sense of self by default which isn't really something that's readily to be verbalized.

That's part of it too, being able to put things into words is nice.

what preceded (event) that made you want to understand yourself more ?

There was no such concrete event

Just found these personality sites by someone linking to them once

What are you going to get that is important from knowing what others think about you ? (or what your enng type is).

As I said I'm not self-conscious so I usually only realise I am like this or that way after someone comments on it (unsolicited usually). I mean concrete personality traits etc. So in that sense it's useful to know what others think... Of course I don't just blindly accept if someone says something about me, I will start observing myself and see if it is really so.

However I wouldn't want to feel like I need to conform to expectations. That's the wrong kind of being self-conscious, I cannot function that way.

If you answer these questions to yourself honestly,
I have no doubt you're capable of hitting the nail on the head with sifting out what your true motivations (core fears) etc. are. :)

Hmm these questions seem like a pretty far connection to that. But possibly I'm still just scratching the surface with my answers :)

I know I'm not giving easily. But I do very much hope I've helped. :)

Heh no worries :)

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION] well personally I feel you're a gut type. maybe with either a wing in the head quadrant or a strong head type in your tri-type. It really is something that takes time. even when we think we're past scratching the surface, we aren't. I'm not sure what else I can say. Other people on the net feel confident in typing other people. Personally, I think it's more of a self discovery process (in order to truly reap the benefits of it). But of course, that is just my personal take on it. :)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION] well personally I feel you're a gut type. maybe with either a wing in the head quadrant or a strong head type in your tri-type.

That's the way I feel myself :)

Thanks for saying what you think.

It really is something that takes time. even when we think we're past scratching the surface, we aren't. I'm not sure what else I can say. Other people on the net feel confident in typing other people. Personally, I think it's more of a self discovery process (in order to truly reap the benefits of it). But of course, that is just my personal take on it. :)

Yeah I bet it's not as simple :)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A persons energy can be often be associated with 'favorites'. It's hard to explain.

I'm sure it's hard to explain, but can you talk about some examples? Just curious really :)

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure it's hard to explain, but can you talk about some examples? Just curious really :)

How they feel about that favorite thing. You only said you felt "energy". But that is not an adjective ;)

How does that sense of energy make you feel ?

That is what I meant by that. Example: I knew someone who told me their favorite color was black. I asked why. They said because they looked thinner in black and it made them feel more confident. I'm thinking 3 image type there ;) lol! (Obviously you can not determine someones type with that one question. but with an accumulation of insight, there is a pattern that will emerge). Understand ?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How they feel about that favorite thing. You only said you felt "energy". But that is not an adjective ;)

How does that sense of energy make you feel ?

More alive. That's an adjective right? :p

That is what I meant by that. Example: I knew someone who told me their favorite color was black. I asked why. They said because they looked thinner in black and it made them feel more confident. I'm thinking 3 image type there ;) lol! (Obviously you can not determine someones type with that one question. but with an accumulation of insight, there is a pattern that will emerge). Understand ?

Yep I see.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a great question about determining your core fear. For me, as a 9, I truly identified with many of the other descriptions before discerning my truth as a 9, and it was a LONG process because I could literally see parts of myself in most of them. Obviously, as we are all drawn to do, I read tons of descriptions from different authors, as well as talking to other people who knew me in person, as well as knowing my history.

As far as your motivational fear, I found it very helpful to examine my history and write down those experiences/times in my life where even thinking back to them now brings a sense of anxiety and stress to my body. Reading through the core fears and being cognizant of your body and its reactions/lack of reaction may be helpful.

Just a thought :)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a great question about determining your core fear. For me, as a 9, I truly identified with many of the other descriptions before discerning my truth as a 9, and it was a LONG process because I could literally see parts of myself in most of them. Obviously, as we are all drawn to do, I read tons of descriptions from different authors, as well as talking to other people who knew me in person, as well as knowing my history.

I'm like that with 8. (Though I didn't identify with all the types that readily, quite the opposite, I found stuff to reject each type)

As far as your motivational fear, I found it very helpful to examine my history and write down those experiences/times in my life where even thinking back to them now brings a sense of anxiety and stress to my body. Reading through the core fears and being cognizant of your body and its reactions/lack of reaction may be helpful.

Just a thought :)

Cool idea, I just can't recall any experiences where it would give me a sense of anxiety or whatever. :/ I'm not saying I've never felt anxiety but recalling this stuff doesn't make me feel it again. Guess I don't like to stress myself about stuff for no reason anyway :)

S

Stansmith

I guess I'm still in the process of doing so. While I was originally convinced of myself being a 6w7, I'm actually starting to consider being a 9w1 with a strong connection to 6, especially as I've gotten healthier (presumably). My mom is also a 9w1 who seems to have anxiety/hyper-vigilance issues when under stress, although fairly easygoing otherwise. I'd go as far as saying that we share similar levels of anxiety.

The changes in mindset that come along with my moods also seem to reflect the arrows of (dis)integration for the Enneagram 9; at my best, I feel like a 3(w4) with a firm sense of self and direction, at my worst, an anxious 6.

Last edited: