User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 26

  1. #11
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    I don't know you, but harsh circumstances bolster your best abilities and expose your weaknesses. If you chose to hone your inherent traits into masterful traits, this would of course include your enneagram+wing AND your dominant function/auxiliary functions. The result seems like something new because of the higher level of functioning on which you now operate.
    This is well put.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    This is actually an interesting question @The Great One, one I have been considering myself. Actually, I've been wondering if I haven't changed types altogether. Here's my story:


    I think in my case, I'm just living in my gut-fix because I'm facing "gut issues", but who knows? In your case, Great One, I think you're simply taking on the cultural attributes of your time and place.

    For instance, when I first came here (before I became bitter and twisted) people still found me direct because the US emphasizes direct communication. I've got a very image-oriented 3ish cast to my worldview simply because in the US we emphasize using "image" to get ahead in the work place, yet this isn't the way things work everywhere. We really do pick up the "cultural aura" of our surroundings, so this may be the case with you.

    Anyhow, you're a 6, and 6s can be quite feisty even without an 8-fix. If you're really wondering, you should ask yourself if you're only adopting "normal" behaviors that help you get by, or if you're actually noticing 8ish motivations behind them.

    Hope that helps.
    Well it looks like you and I have had similar lifestyles. I also have lived in immense poverty and have struggled with numerous medical problems, and have not had the money to fix them. This has made me much more self-serving, much more id, and has made me much more aggressive. I also now view the world as a struggle to survive and no longer view it as a happy place anymore.

  2. #12
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Well it looks like you and I have had similar lifestyles. I also have lived in immense poverty and have struggled with numerous medical problems, and have not had the money to fix them. This has made me much more self-serving, much more id, and has made me much more aggressive. I also now view the world as a struggle to survive and no longer view it as a happy place anymore.
    but it doesn't always have to go that way...

    I've pointed out on here a few times that I've gone through some truly shit times... they were called my twenties. I worked my ass off to clean my life up and get to where I am today and I have had a real benefit in the fact that I'm a good worker and I'm assertive and naturally tough. However, I've developed sympathy for others in the same situation by going through it myself and my natural urges to protect myself can be extended to protect others and give them some of the advantages and information that I've wished that I had back when I was in their position. I fought tooth and nail to get to where I am (and I'm still working hard to get more power... mwa ha ha ha ha...) but if I get the feeling that you're trying and trying hard to clean up your own life I'm quite willing to put extra effort and extra backing in for you.

    In other words I went from pretty much 875 to 825
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #13
    Senior Member Sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Well it looks like you and I have had similar lifestyles. I also have lived in immense poverty and have struggled with numerous medical problems, and have not had the money to fix them. This has made me much more self-serving, much more id, and has made me much more aggressive. I also now view the world as a struggle to survive and no longer view it as a happy place anymore.
    I think what's happening here is that you're channeling 8ish energy because you're in a situation that calls for these defenses. We've all got the potential to access any of the types, and you're in circumstances where you have summoned this edge. I doubt your gut-fix has truly changed, but you have been in a survival situation, and you're going to think of life in these terms.

    Enneagram is theory and Real Life is...real. Sometimes in real world situations, we do things that deviate from the theory, and your experience a good example of how this can happen.

  4. #14
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One
    I have a 9w8 gut fix and I tended to hate confrontation as a child and to shy away from it. However, because of life circumstances, I have been very poor in the last few years and have been forced to live in very ghetto areas. I have been tried several times in these ghettos, and it has forced to me to become much harder and to not shy away from confrontation like I previously did.
    Enneagram does go very deep... in 9's case, the 9 numbs themself so as not to have to deal with pain. The 8, on the other hand, walls their vulnerability off so as not to deal with pain. So the answer to your question would lie in whether you have internally started to wall yourself off from your personal vulnerability to avoid hurt more than you create an internal atmosphere of calm to avoid hurt.

  5. #15
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    but it doesn't always have to go that way...

    I've pointed out on here a few times that I've gone through some truly shit times... they were called my twenties. I worked my ass off to clean my life up and get to where I am today and I have had a real benefit in the fact that I'm a good worker and I'm assertive and naturally tough. However, I've developed sympathy for others in the same situation by going through it myself and my natural urges to protect myself can be extended to protect others and give them some of the advantages and information that I've wished that I had back when I was in their position. I fought tooth and nail to get to where I am (and I'm still working hard to get more power... mwa ha ha ha ha...) but if I get the feeling that you're trying and trying hard to clean up your own life I'm quite willing to put extra effort and extra backing in for you.

    In other words I went from pretty much 875 to 825
    Well it was never I that screwed up, so to say. What happened is that both of my parents went to jail right when I got outta high school, and I went from being middle class to homeless over night. All of my college funds were spent on my parents lawyer's fees as well. So it's basically like I had to do everything myself and am coming up in society, all by myself. This has been a very shitty situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    I think what's happening here is that you're channeling 8ish energy because you're in a situation that calls for these defenses. We've all got the potential to access any of the types, and you're in circumstances where you have summoned this edge. I doubt your gut-fix has truly changed, but you have been in a survival situation, and you're going to think of life in these terms.

    Enneagram is theory and Real Life is...real. Sometimes in real world situations, we do things that deviate from the theory, and your experience a good example of how this can happen.
    I think that developing my 8 wing, could possibly explain what's happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Enneagram does go very deep... in 9's case, the 9 numbs themself so as not to have to deal with pain. The 8, on the other hand, walls their vulnerability off so as not to deal with pain. So the answer to your question would lie in whether you have internally started to wall yourself off from your personal vulnerability to avoid hurt more than you create an internal atmosphere of calm to avoid hurt.
    Well let me explain what I am doing now: I am basically like a Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill, when she was training with Pie Mai. Mentally it's almost like I am punching a tree everyday, in order for my hands to eventually callus so that I can mentally punch without feeling any pain anymore. So in other words, I am trying to get as hard as possibly as to avoid pain. So I guess that would be under the category of numbing myself wouldn't it?

  6. #16
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Well it was never I that screwed up, so to say. What happened is that both of my parents went to jail right when I got outta high school, and I went from being middle class to homeless over night. All of my college funds were spent on my parents lawyer's fees as well. So it's basically like I had to do everything myself and am coming up in society, all by myself. This has been a very shitty situation.
    And I went through plenty of situations that I did not cause as well... don't even THINK that you can tell me that my only difficulties were caused by my own immoderations.

    I still maintain that you have a choice in whether you close the wagon circle or invite in a few more stragglers to protect... as another example my grandfather was an orphaned street kid by the age of 8 and was known for always helping someone in need. No excuses.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #17
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    And I went through plenty of situations that I did not cause as well... don't even THINK that you can tell me that my only difficulties were caused by my own immoderations.

    I still maintain that you have a choice in whether you close the wagon circle or invite in a few more stragglers to protect... as another example my grandfather was an orphaned street kid by the age of 8 and was known for always helping someone in need. No excuses.
    What's your point here?

  8. #18
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    What's your point here?
    I'm refuting your theory
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  9. #19
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm refuting your theory
    Well I could care less what you say. In 2007, both of my parents abandoned me completely and all of my college money was spent on lawyer's fees. Not only that but my mother ran with drug dealers at this point, when my father was in jail and I did live with her for a short bit. However, during this time, drug dealers would constantly be around my house, and would threaten my life because my mother would never pay her debt that she owed back to the drug dealers. This gave me PTSD, and it has been very difficult to work because of this. Just the slightest thing: someone yelling at me, someone threatening me, or someone even raising their voice to me, would set me off and I would get fired.

    The only way that I have been able to survive is to be a full-time student and to live off government grant, loan, and scholarship money. In this time, I have earned an A.A. degree and am now working on my B.S. degree in Information Science. Also, in this time I have spent probably a couple grand on counselors to help me to solve this problem and I even hired an hypnotist that was able to teach me various relaxation techniques.

    How ignorant can you really be to believe that the family circumstances that you were raised in, and the amount of money that your parents make have no real bearing upon how much money you will make in the future and how successful you will be? I can literally show you studies that have been conducted that show the correlation between how much money that a person's family makes and their likelyhood of getting an an advanced college degree or even any degree for that matter. Oh and yes, it appears as though you do need a college degree to actually get more than a minimum wage job in this Meritocracy of a nation that we have here. College degrees= money in our society.

  10. #20
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Do not underestimate the amount of anger a 9 can have, nor the ability to adapt to any situation with ease. It is a mistake to think 9s are peace loving hippy types, we prefer peace to disruption, we can easily let others get away with more than we should but we are still an anger type just like 1 and 8.

    It takes as astronomical amount for me to show others my anger, as in not frustration or annoyance but the actual anger, if I did though, you wouldn't like it, I would tear things apart. My wing plays a role in my experience of anger, but my motivations and ways of coping are always 9 based even if I were to appear like an 8 with hulk rage.

Similar Threads

  1. is it less than 100,000 dollars to go to jail
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 03:10 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 08:00 PM
  3. Socialism is never going to be as trendy as capitalism
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 02:54 AM
  4. The dollar will go to new lows as the U.S. attacks its currency
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO