• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Adapting your confrontation style to another person's: what is this reminiscent with?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, I do type as sx/soc and am willing to discuss soc/sx. I'm neurotic as crap about both of those things, but the sx feels worse. I'm not as awesome as sx/socials are supposed to be, though ;)

My first impression is that you're so dom.

I think it's cause I don't see you being as self revealing as an sx dom. They don't hold back really.

That and you seem to cater your wording like an so dom. IMO

Like you say that you like the interaction...but without you saying it...I wouldn't have known.

The intensity does not ooze out of your posts.

Like I said though...just my first impression.

I just think your posts are well put together. Like you gave it a little bit of extra thought before typing. Very similar to Skylights. Her posts are very well written, she gets to the heart of the matter, but does it in an eloquent non revealing way. Hard to describe now that I think about it :thinking:

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think it's cause I don't see you being as self revealing as an sx dom. They don't hold back really.

Like you say that you like the interaction...but without you saying it...I wouldn't have known.

I just think your posts are well put together. Like you gave it a little bit of extra thought before typing. Very similar to Skylights. Her posts are very well written, she gets to the heart of the matter, but does it in an eloquent non revealing way. Hard to describe now that I think about it :thinking:
To be honest, I don't believe in vibe-typing. But I thank you for your perspective.

On past message boards, I've actually gotten in trouble for revealing too much; hence my reserve here. There was much fallout, and some things don't need to be said.

Thanks for saying my posts are well-written, btw.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I might be 8 fixed. Just lil things I notice like at work when the other two girls are like all panicky and don't want to tell a client something or say no or anything where they have to enforce policy etc I just don't get it. I'm like ill handle it. Or I'll tell them.

I just flat out don't care and get that it's a business and we have to run the show.

I'm not shitty about it and I don't enjoy it but feel like it has to be done and don't mind being the one to do it. So whatever that means.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION]

I wouldn't consider myself a punk-ass bitch, exactly, but I agree with your overall sentiment. I think it's kinda shitty when someone bothers to type out a long reply and you just let it slide. You're not worthy of my time, it says. And I get excited from the interaction, mainly.

Also, no, I'm not 9-fixed. Sorry if I gave you that impression. It's 8 all the way.

Oh so you ARE 8 fixed then? Yeah, I was going to say that you seemed like more of an 8 fixer online. But, I didn't know if you were like that in real life as well?

If it helps you, I am glad to.

Yes, I'm an angry young woman. As soon as I leave my home, it's like an instant state of war (with the environment, not necessarily to peoples' faces, lol). I have, like, ZERO tolerance to frustration, and most of the world is incredibly frustrating. As I become less healthy, my environment becomes like a stage-prop, something simply to be gotten through as quickly as possible so I can get from point A to point B with minimal fuss. People who get in the way will generally be pushed--I'm physically aggressive more than I'm rude, combative, or mean.

I'm volatile and quick to snap at people close to me--I'm known for being mercurial and tempermental, or, as my step-father believed, "criminally insane" (I'm not, I just openly express anything from annoyance to rage, then I get over it). I get physically angry too and sometimes destroy things. I've seldom been in fights outside the house largely because the world pisses me off significantly less than my own family, but again, I can be quite susceptible to frustration and things "in my way".

Yeah I relate to what you are saying a lot actually. I also get pissed off and want to beat the shit out of people as well. Plus, I also commonly have to stop myself from breaking things as well. What has always confused me is that 9 fixers often times tell me that they don't really feel anger, but I feel it constantly. Which I find to be very weird. I wonder if a person with a 9w8 fix with a strong 8 wing can be like this?

Well this sounds more like a 6 dynamic all the way. You've gotta be diplomatic to maintain your alliances, after all.

Well this actually fits the description of a 639 tri-type better than it does a 638 tri-type.

Possibly agree. I feel like I adapt to others more than I push them to adapt. I'm actually always slightly flattered when people change their sentiments to agree with me. I certainly don't expect that. I actually share Orange's ideas of people who try to "convert" you to their own little civilization--I'm anti-that and have fought many long hard battles over it.

Using Fe comes natural and is often times just automatic for xxFJ's. However for ExTP's using Fe is just basically a tool in their arsenal.

I'd be interested in where you got this information. It sounds like one of those myths that went around PerC to discourage folks from being 8s and/or 8-fixed. Most people really DON'T want to confront others (at least those of unknown quantities) but some types are considerably less likely to back down than others, and some types become more likely to do so when angry.

Core 6s, regardless of their gut-fix, are hot-cold in their confrontation styles, and will puff up and back down--this is how you maintain your alliances after. You guys are natural statesmen.

No, this information is not meant to discourage 8 fixers from thinking that they are 8 fixers. One of the ring leaders in trying to prove that the 8 fix is rarer than the White Siberian tiger is the user, "Boss" on personality cafe. Now don't get me wrong, she is one of the most knowledgeable people on enneagram theory that I know, but it's like she always thinks that people are full of shit when they say that they have an 8 fix. I don't think that the 8 fix is as common as people think that it is, but it's not that damn rare.

Also my theory about 8w9's and 8w7's is correct. 8w9's have the 9 wing, so it makes them sometimes shy away from confrontation. However, 8w7 fixer's don't have this wing, so they almost never shy away from confrontation. This theory of 8w9 vs. 8w7 is widely accepted throughout the enneagram communities.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Oh yeah, I do type as sx/soc and am willing to discuss soc/sx. I'm neurotic as crap about both of those things, but the sx feels worse. I'm not as awesome as sx/socials are supposed to be, though ;)

Yeah I could see that. Sanjuro says that she's a supposed sx dom that could care less about sex or the intensity of relationships, and somehow I have a hard time believing this. However, if Sanjuro was indeed a so/sx this would make sense. I say this because people can generally live without their second variant's needs being met but not their first. At least, not very long that is.

I might be 8 fixed. Just lil things I notice like at work when the other two girls are like all panicky and don't want to tell a client something or say no or anything where they have to enforce policy etc I just don't get it. I'm like ill handle it. Or I'll tell them.

I just flat out don't care and get that it's a business and we have to run the show.

I'm not shitty about it and I don't enjoy it but feel like it has to be done and don't mind being the one to do it. So whatever that means.

I think that you are confusing an 8 fix for Te that you have developed over time.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I could see that. Sanjuro says that she's a supposed sx dom that could care less about sex or the intensity of relationships, and somehow I have a hard time believing this. However, if Sanjuro was indeed a so/sx this would make sense. I say this because people can generally live without their second variant's needs being met but not their first. At least, not very long that is.

I think that you are confusing an 8 fix for Te that you have developed over time.

Hey yeah, maybe.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't really adapt to anyone, I just kinda do what i do regardless of the target

I don't get why I even have to adapt

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could potentially see you having a one fix though, but probably not. 8 fix is really almost out of the question.

I'm not sure of [MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION] 's fix, but I just see her being sx dom. They don't seem to shy away from much imo. There is definitely something that makes her look like she doesn't back down easily. I'm not sure that it's a 1 fix though :thinking:

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh so you ARE 8 fixed then? Yeah, I was going to say that you seemed like more of an 8 fixer online. But, I didn't know if you were like that in real life as well?
Most certainly 8.

I'm fairly the same IRL, actually--prolly moreso in some ways. I'm more likely to push and not carefully word my phrases--I try to be very careful online. I'm quieter, don't talk as much, but when you get to know me I'm about the same.

Yeah I relate to what you are saying a lot actually. I also get pissed off and want to beat the shit out of people as well. Plus, I also commonly have to stop myself from breaking things as well. What has always confused me is that 9 fixers often times tell me that they don't really feel anger, but I feel it constantly. Which I find to be very weird. I wonder if a person with a 9w8 fix with a strong 8 wing can be like this?
Well, see, the "constant state of warfare" is really an 8 concern. Nines are really more about the peace, and/or simply being unaware of anger. I don't think the wing matters much--you've got both wings, basically, and a 9-fix is really more about being out of touch with anger rather than being familiar with it.

Now 6s, they can be another story. Still, what you say does seem more 8 than 9.

Well this actually fits the description of a 639 tri-type better than it does a 638 tri-type.
I dunno. My dad's a 683, and he's VERY good at politics, at maintaining alliances, at keeping up friendships, etc. He really is indirect about what he thinks people are really thinking, and he can be remarkably diplomatic (he's also an ENTP, fwiw). He's also a contentious guy who's pissed off every 5 seconds. Dude's an interesting mix. So, I think as a core 6 you could be good at this and still have an 8-fix.

Using Fe comes natural and is often times just automatic for xxFJ's. However for ExTP's using Fe is just basically a tool in their arsenal.
That's exactly right. I can use my Fe when I need it, and the rest of the time, I'm vaguely oblivious to other human beings as being "the masses" I can't really interact with given my partial social skills. The Fe is something I've been refining to use to my advantage, rather than any strength of mine.

No, this information is not meant to discourage 8 fixers from thinking that they are 8 fixers. One of the ring leaders in trying to prove that the 8 fix is rarer than the White Siberian tiger is the user, "Boss" on personality cafe. Now don't get me wrong, she is one of the most knowledgeable people on enneagram theory that I know, but it's like she always thinks that people are full of shit when they say that they have an 8 fix. I don't think that the 8 fix is as common as people think that it is, but it's not that damn rare.
I have interacted extensively with the person of which you speak; I was told the same damn thing (though not by her). Confused me for months till I just bought some enneagram books and properly educated. You're right, 8s and 8-fixers aren't particularly rare--this type is prevalent in my father's side in particular (me, my dad, and I think my grandfather was a core 8 based on accounts). My advice (to everyone) is to do your own research. Don't take for granted everything people write online.

Also my theory about 8w9's and 8w7's is correct. 8w9's have the 9 wing, so it makes them sometimes shy away from confrontation. However, 8w7 fixer's don't have this wing, so they almost never shy away from confrontation. This theory of 8w9 vs. 8w7 is widely accepted throughout the enneagram communities.
That's true, but what I mean is, every type basically has both wings. You should see yourself in the psychologies of the types on either side of you--so technically 8w7s can sometimes want to concede, and 8w9s can be quite confrontational. However, the 9-wing does tend to make it's bearer less likely to want to exert itself or upset the stability of the environment, including others. But that doesn't necessarily mean that 8w7s are ALWAYS itching for a fight. Self interest above all.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And...

LOL, where do you keep getting this idea about me?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could potentially see you having a one fix though, but probably not. 8 fix is really almost out of the question.

why would 8 be out of the question? i would think 1 would be way more unlikely.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I think if you relate to both 8 and 1 then 9 is possible too. Like what [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] often says about a type being a mix of the two adjacent types around it (which I agree with).

With Ego-Revenge (Eight) as one wing and Ego-Resentment (One) as the other, a Nine is caught between the bad boy of the enneagram on one side and the good boy on the other. Strong instinctual drives arise at Point Eight and meet strong superego prohibitions at Point One. Of necessity, what results is a deadening of impulse and stalling of movement. These are very strong pulls in different directions - what often feels like a hopeless conflict - so Enneatype Nine goes numb to his inner life and becomes outer rather than inner directed. Because of the profound and mostly unconscious inner discord, Nines set about trying to make and keep things harmonious, avoiding conflicts as much as possible.

For example, as a 7 I still see 8ish tendencies in myself even though 8 shows up almost nowhere in my type besides my last fix's subwing.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think if you relate to both 8 and 1 then 9 is possible too. Like what [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] often says about a type being a mix of the two adjacent types around it (which I agree with).

For example, as a 7 I still see 8ish tendencies in myself even though 8 shows up almost nowhere in my type besides my last fix's subwing.

hey thanks but yeah no i don't. i don't relate all that much to 1 except can kinda see how when stressed might disintegrate in that direction (being a 7)

but i didn't say anything about one that was tgo

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hey thanks but yeah no i don't. i don't relate all that much to 1 except can kinda see how when stressed might disintegrate in that direction (being a 7)

but i didn't say anything about one that was tgo

Yeah I saw that, I was just saying in general haha. :alttongue: Have you officially decided between 8 or 9 btw? /hasn't checked in with you for a while

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I saw that, I was just saying in general haha. :alttongue: Have you officially decided between 8 or 9 btw? /hasn't checked in with you for a while

i haven't. i have no idea. i know i'm a 7 but i could have a 4w3 fix or 2w3 and a 8w9 or 9w8 idfk either 729 or 748 or whatever other combination.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i haven't. i have no idea. i know i'm a 7 but i could have a 4w3 fix or 2w3 and a 8w9 or 9w8 idfk either 729 or 748 or whatever other combination.

Have you started a thread? FWIW I think 2w3 for you. People say we have a similar "vibe" and I think 2w3 could be one of the reasons why. I could see 8w9 or 9w8 too. :thinking: Maybe 8w9.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm not sure of [MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION] 's fix, but I just see her being sx dom. They don't seem to shy away from much imo. There is definitely something that makes her look like she doesn't back down easily. I'm not sure that it's a 1 fix though :thinking:

I think it's just the Te.

Well, see, the "constant state of warfare" is really an 8 concern. Nines are really more about the peace, and/or simply being unaware of anger. I don't think the wing matters much--you've got both wings, basically, and a 9-fix is really more about being out of touch with anger rather than being familiar with it.

Now 6s, they can be another story. Still, what you say does seem more 8 than 9.

Yeah, you have me there, it does seem more like a person with an 8 fix rather than a 9 fix.

I dunno. My dad's a 683, and he's VERY good at politics, at maintaining alliances, at keeping up friendships, etc. He really is indirect about what he thinks people are really thinking, and he can be remarkably diplomatic (he's also an ENTP, fwiw). He's also a contentious guy who's pissed off every 5 seconds. Dude's an interesting mix. So, I think as a core 6 you could be good at this and still have an 8-fix.

I still don't know if I can see myself as a 638 though. I don't know about how the women come off, but I know that the 638 men that I've known tend to basically be the "tough guy" whom is extremely insecure and feels like they have to prove themselves to the world. I don't know if I identify with that description.

That's exactly right. I can use my Fe when I need it, and the rest of the time, I'm vaguely oblivious to other human beings as being "the masses" I can't really interact with given my partial social skills. The Fe is something I've been refining to use to my advantage, rather than any strength of mine.

Well at least we can agree on this.

I have interacted extensively with the person of which you speak; I was told the same damn thing (though not by her). Confused me for months till I just bought some enneagram books and properly educated. You're right, 8s and 8-fixers aren't particularly rare--this type is prevalent in my father's side in particular (me, my dad, and I think my grandfather was a core 8 based on accounts). My advice (to everyone) is to do your own research. Don't take for granted everything people write online.

Do you agree with me though, that she thinks that most people that say they are 8 fixed are full of shit? Also, what did Boss think that your fix was?

That's true, but what I mean is, every type basically has both wings. You should see yourself in the psychologies of the types on either side of you--so technically 8w7s can sometimes want to concede, and 8w9s can be quite confrontational. However, the 9-wing does tend to make it's bearer less likely to want to exert itself or upset the stability of the environment, including others. But that doesn't necessarily mean that 8w7s are ALWAYS itching for a fight. Self interest above all.

I don't really believe that each type has both wings. I subscribe to sub-wing theory. So for instance, according to my theory:

-The 8w7(7w6) is ridiculously confrontational and also has a more head-centerish energy compared to the rest of the 8's. They are probably the most confrontational of all the 8's. They are also probably the most energetic. Think Tony Montana and think Tuco from "Breaking Bad".

-The 8w7(sw9w8) is also confrontational but sometimes they just let confrontation go because they just don't give a damn. Their energy is still somewhat fast paced, but slower and less flashy than the 8w7(sw7w6). They aren't really that head-center at all and come off as EXTREMELY gut-center. Think Tywin Lannister from "Game of Thrones".

-The 8w9(sw7w8) is more confrontational than the 8w7(sw9w8) but less confrontational than the 8w7(sw7w6). They tend to be the "tell it how it is" 8w9. They tend to be very brave and charismatic leaders and don't tend to hold back. Think Dr. Martin Luther King and Dr. Phil.

-The 8w9(sw9w1) is almost like a grizzly bear. They give off a "Don't mess with me" vibe, and you know not cross them, but they don't necessarily come off as scary as the other 8's. This is probably the most gut center of all the 8's. This 8 can sometimes be confused with a 9, because they often times will avoid confrontation if they don't view the other person as a threat. However, again, you still know not to mess with them. Good examples of this type of 8 are Mike from "Breaking Bad" and the guy with the burned face from "Game of Thrones".

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

In your video's you don't have the presence of an 8, you have the presence of a 9 fixer.