Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Oh, and.

Folks keep posting this link, but here's the excerpt where it's convenient:

Type 1 The Reformer
    Excessive use of diets, vitamins, and cleansing techniques (fasts, diet pills, enemas). Under-eating for self-control: in extreme cases anorexia and bulimia. Alcohol to relieve tension.

Type 2 The Helper
    Abusing food and over-the-counter medications. Bingeing, especially on sweets and carbohydrates. Over-eating from feeling "love-starved;" in extreme cases bulimia. Hypochondria to look for sympathy.

Type 3 The Achiever
    Over-stressing the body for recognition. Working out to exhaustion. Starvation diets. Workaholism. Excessive intake of coffee, stimulants, amphetamines, cocaine, steroids or excessive surgery for cosmetic improvement.

Type 4 The Individualist
    Over-indulgence in rich foods, sweets, alcohol to alter mood, to socialize, and for emotional consolation. Lack of physical activity. Bulimia. Depressants. Tobacco, prescription drugs, or heroin for social anxiety. Cosmetic surgery to erase rejected features.

Type 5 The Investigator
    Poor eating and sleeping habits due to minimizing needs. Neglecting hygiene and nutrition. Lack of physical activity. Psychotropic drugs for mental stimulation and escape, narcotics for anxiety.

Type 6 The Loyalist
    Rigidity in diet causes nutritional imbalances ("I don't like vegetables.") Working excessively. Caffeine and amphetamines for stamina, but also alcohol and depressants to deaden anxiety. Higher susceptibility to alcoholism than many types.

Type 7 The Enthusiast
    The type most prone to addictions: stimulants (caffeine, cocaine, and amphetamines), Ecstasy, psychotropics, narcotics, and alcohol but tend to avoid other depressants. Wear body out with effort to stay "up." Excessive cosmetic surgery, pain killers.

Type 8 The Challenger
    Ignore physical needs and problems: avoid medical visits and check-ups. Indulging in rich foods, alcohol, tobacco while pushing self too hard leads to high stress, strokes, and heart conditions. Control issues central, although alcoholism and narcotic addictions are possible.

Type 9 The Peacemaker
    Over-eating or under-eating due to lack of self-awareness and repressed anger. Lack of physical activity. Depressants and psychotropics, alcohol, marijuana, narcotics to deaden loneliness and anxiety.
    Definitely guilty of the whole "rich foods" thing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaDeep View Post
    counter-phobic 6s do a lot of drugs...8 seem very inaccurate in this drug thread. I can't imagine, that the person who strives the most to have the control and power over himself and his enviroment would eventually take drugs to loose it. Though I can imagine cocaine for them...
    I never did cocaine, although I can see the attraction and I've had a similar experience with some prescription meds. That said I agree, 8's seem very unlikely to do drugs but, I can see them drinking and drinking heavily at times, it seems to go with the eating. Not so much overeating as really indulgent, high end foods. The only people I know that do drugs on a regular basis are all 6's and all smoke pot. I pretty much limit myself to caffeine and drinking is more seasonal as I get older. Summer time cocktails are my favorite.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@Sanjuro
    good point about steroids (esp a Sexual 3)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

As an 8, loosing control can be the most liberating thing there is.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    Oh, and.

Folks keep posting this link, but here's the excerpt where it's convenient:

Definitely guilty of the whole "rich foods" thing.
    Ah, I didn't see this before I posted. Rich foods, definitely. I'm a food snob and I'm very good with that. I use to avoid the doctor, it was an invincible feeling more than ignoring. This isn't the case any longer.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    A new angle - someone else attempts to take an 8s personal freedom away by limiting their potential to do drugs -> opposite reaction.
    This was one of the reasons my NTJ/8 sister cited for trying drugs. She decided she wanted more and pursued a career in it for nearly two decades with some pauses of not using in between. She said she never felt out of control, she was doing exactly what she wanted to do (and she was utterly ruthless about it). When she lusted after something, telling herself "no" didn't enter in her mind. When she had her fill of that lifestyle and got tired of it, it occurred to her that she could do other things, so she quit cold turkey with no problem. She also quit smoking at the same time.

I don't know too many people that could have put themselves through what she put herself and come out as well, though. She appears unbreakable even though I know she's not.

Both of my parents were alcoholics (dad--6, mom--2). My other sister (a 7w6) was abusing sleeping meds for a while. I used to drink a lot as a teen but stopped once I hit college...well traded it to try other stuff. And I don't like the feeling of being drunk very much. It'd be really super easy for me to get hooked on something like dilaudid--I like that stuff a lot. Anything that can make my head slow down and feel good at the same time? Sounds great to me...

But the price is just too high for me. I'm always stuffing my own lust for pleasure in a box...it's just better if I tell myself 'no'.

Yeah, 3s definitely strike me as the cocaine-snorting investment banker type.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    Come to think of it, my sister is a drug addict, and she types as 4 as well. In her case, it was this stupid "poor pathetic me with two parents, a shitload of friends, and numerous boyfriends, who all love me in my comfy middle class existence where everything is provided for" sort of self-pity, in which she believed she had "issues" and therefore needed to self-medicate, if I understand the situation correctly. Not experimental art.

However, I'm still not a drug user, and I am a confirmed 4. I think circumstances count a lot.

Actually, I'm lying a bit. I did eat some of my sister's adderalls in high school basically to finish all final projects after working without sleep for 3 days straight. But that's it.

It's a very different perspective than I think most of us have on drug use. No one ever talks about exploration.
    In my experience with 4s most are drug users more for the reasons you named with your sister. As for experimentation, I shared this approach with my type 7 friend. We both did a lot of LSD to expand limits & experiment. However, he also did a lot of other drugs to run away from himself & preferred those to LSD, whereas I liked the raw vulnerability of LSD and the inner struggles and facing all my demons with the intensity on tenfold. I cannot help but see my motives and approach as being a result of my tritype, however, I don't think that drug use in and of itself, is necessarily related to one's enneagram type. E-type might dictate how you approach it, what angle you take, but most people do drugs because they don't feel whole or they are dissatisfied in one way or another. Since 4s are most in touch with that sense of dissatisfaction, 4 is the type I can see as being MOST LIKELY to do drugs - aside from 8 or 7 for gluttony/lust reasons, because of the envy of a better life, something more extreme and intense, self-pity, love for emotional intensity and self-indulgently exploring one's own emotions, and feeling depressed and in pain.. etc. Drugs are just another mechanism which you can 'wallow' in, and then create a more tragic story for yourself so that someone wants to rescue you from yourself.

I think @Elfboy's distinction was right... I am Sx/Sp and while I did a lot of drugs, I did them responsibly. I imposed limits on myself in terms of use.. I went to all my classes on time.. did great in school. Work hard, and I would say "party hard" except it was more of intense inner digging than partying in my case. Meanwhile my 7 So/Sx friend was absolutely limitless; he would "pyramid' and take more and more and more and then go to school . Crazy motherfucker

But that being said.

How can someone argue that a MASOCHISTIC PERSONALITY is NOT the most likely personality to develop a drug addiction??? Seriously?? I commend any 4 who avoided this - truly - but I still think 4 is the mOST LIKELY TYPE to self-indulge when it comes to drugs.

Type 4 cultural icons include: Tori Amos, Kurt Cobain, Elliott Smith, Marilyn Manson, Johnny Depp. Regardless of the variants, wings, and tritype, find me a type 4 cultural icon who does NOT have a serious drug addiction, and for each one, you will find 10 famous 4s who do.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I never did cocaine, although I can see the attraction and I've had a similar experience with some prescription meds. That said I agree, 8's seem very unlikely to do drugs but, I can see them drinking and drinking heavily at times, it seems to go with the eating. Not so much overeating as really indulgent, high end foods. The only people I know that do drugs on a regular basis are all 6's and all smoke pot. I pretty much limit myself to caffeine and drinking is more seasonal as I get older. Summer time cocktails are my favorite.
    I bet you have a 3w4 fix.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    My type 8 friend is like that. He was very very sparing with his drug use during our hayday. He actually did less drugs than anyone else who was around during that time. He hung out, tripped here and there, but he never made a lifestyle of it. He's very into health and fitness nowadays, and mixed martial arts, and he would never poison his body with any of this stuff. But he is very into healthy - but tasty - food.

That being said he's Sp-first if I've ever seen one.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se