First 23456 Last

Thread: 4s vs 8s

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Depends on the turf.

...and I'd be up to finding out
    It has to be on equal ground. No contests where we judge who is better at giving sexy sex advice to couples.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It wouldn't even be close.
    I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    True
    He meant for me! Clearly..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It has to be on equal ground. No contests where we judge who is better at giving sexy sex advice to couples.

I know!

He meant for me! Clearly..
    As I said, it would depend on the battlefield. That's what I like about the 4 vs 8 dynamic - we cover each others asses. Im no match for an 8 doing their thing. But I'm more than confident in taking them on when doing my thing, no offence
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

To be honest some of the 8's on here seem to be mentally (and supposedly) physically average. Nothing imposing about them. I reckon I could win a fight with one if I really, really wanted to (and if I didn't decide to chicken out part way through with the realisation that winning wouldn't better me in any way and/or just be a waste of time). I think any type could with sufficient motivation.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    This sounds like a stupid question

what's the difference between E4 and E8?

Both:
    -are big on self expression
    -both can numb themselves to pain
    -both seek intensity
    -both want to stand out
    -both grow by learning moderation
    -both are reactive

as far as I can tell the only real difference is that 4's are masochistic and 8's are sadistic. One likes to cause pain, the other likes to be in pain.

There seems to be a large influx on my website of INFJ's who claim they are 8's. And its starting to blow my mind. So I'm trying to understand what actually separates an INFJ 8 from an INFJ 4.

I was also going to say that 4's are idealistic... but so am I... I get extremely angry when I see people acting in such a way that would invalidate my belief that heaven still exists on earth.
    INFJ enneagram 8...more than likely they are sixes mistyped. 6's can test as 8 often.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Assuming I'm a four (and that others are like me) on the inside I sort of feel like an eight. To be precise: ever since I was a kid I found myself with a strong will (which was partly in opposition and partly in synergy with high emotional sensitivity) and I do not think I ever truly felt that my will could be denied. I was entirely at the mercy of it's whims and the outside world could only really act like triggers which changed or influenced its direction e.g. a situation caused me to wallow in emotion or envy but these were already part of the will. On reflection I don't think any external force has successfully been able to supplant it or destroy it - I think I alone through volition destroyed myself and rebuilt myself. The more the world pushes the more I resist. If the world stops pushing my will survives intact. If the world was to literally kill me I would die ultimately with my will intact.

The only issue is that my personality carries little to no influence, gravitas or authority in the world itself. It's sealed up inside and through a concoction of incompetence, laziness, indifference and romanticisation the world does not know about it. I wonder whether for an eight it's the other way around: that they are marshmallow surrounded by rock armour few can pierce.
    Absolutely, they are. 4 and 8 are often called the inverse of each other, 8 being stone on the outside and mushy softhearted on the inside. 4 on the other hand is authentic vulnerability on the outside and steel, long-suffering on the inside. 8 is intense and demanding in the external (physical/social) realm, and 4 in the internal (emotional realm).
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    Absolutely, they are. 4 and 8 are often called the inverse of each other, 8 being stone on the outside and mushy softhearted on the inside. 4 on the other hand is authentic vulnerability on the outside and steel, long-suffering on the inside. 8 is intense and demanding in the external (physical/social) realm, and 4 in the internal (emotional realm).
    ... So you're saying instead of fighting Amargith, I should team up with her and take over the world.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

... So you're saying instead of fighting Amargith, I should team up with her and take over the world.
    Precisely.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

@Sanjuro @DJ Arendee

On PersonalityCafe, I've been using the "blog this post" function for a while. I just copied a bunch of blogs over to this blog. Some of the formatting might be off, and the posts are definitely NOT in the order they were created, but it'll get the idea across of how my mind works and how I envision myself as a 4. I can't speak for other 4s, and I have no doubt that the level of "relating to me" among 4s will vary. Anyone can feel free to comment, agree, disagree, relate, not relate, etc. Or use it as a reference of a mind of a specific 4 if you find it helpful.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/blogs/animal/

Here are two things I wrote in a thread called "What is 4's core?"
    The first is about me, the second is more general.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/entry.php?b=2973

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/entry.php?b=2974

I'm not sure if there are any other posts specifically on that topic, though I did write this the day I changed my type label publicly:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/entry.php?b=2983

And this is a post from my recent typing thread, before I typed at 4, when it was under heavy consideration.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/entry.php?b=2975
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

The only thing I thought when I read "4s vs 8s" was "I would win."
    Oh no no no.

Sadism (Naranjo's 8 description) is the act of shaming someone else, whereas Masochism (Naranjo's 4 description) is the act of shaming yourself, so that nobody else has the power to shame you. How can an 8 beat a 4 then? Masochist always has the power.

Regardless of the degree to which I do or don't fasten myself to Naranjo's descriptions, categories, and correlations, Life experience has shown me that 8s don't easily beat me. I've only been "out-witted/ out-maneuvered at life in general" by fellow 4s and matched by 7s.

Beating me at anything involving creativity or concepts would be difficult. If music is involved, you're dead meat.. the end.

If we're talking physical fights, I'm quite strong and physical. I had to beat a chronic illness and re-learn to walk after being told I might be crippled forever, and NOTHING was going to stop me. I can outlift men larger than my size at the gym and win fights with much taller men on "sheer crazy points" as my combat-oriented 1w2 friend likes to describe it. I am also a mean swimmer with tremendous breath control.

Admittedly, I think I remember reading that you were in the military? So physically, you might have a one-up on me. My type 8 friend is a multiple martial arts expert, and he can beat me at physical things and coach me, but I challenge & help him with other stuff, and we balance well. Physically, I'm no push-over, weakling or wimp. But 8s are usually invested in some physical expertise which gives them a one -up, whereas my expertise is in the creative realm. However - 4s are surrounded by competency types (3, 5 and line to 1) and very bent on our personal significance. So if there's a 4 invested in some physical arts, she could have a chance of kicking the ass of an equally invested 8; I don't see why not. I can kick the ass of a few 8s at hand-eye coordination stuff that I'm good at, like music or Super Mario. ;D

Part of the reason I mistyped so many times is the whole "4s are weak" bit. It's beyond complete and utter bullshit. And it's not just me. My 4w5 friend kicked the ass of his 8 buddy (who was pretty badass himself) in physical and verbal fights, and musically... practically in his sleep.

And in case anyone hasn't noticed, SX4s can be quite shameless. Especially if they have narcissistic streaks from their id-fixes.

*giggle*
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

*leans against the wall*

I'll keep them off balance and distracted while you take 'em out.

We'd be unstoppable together.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”