• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Things you're surprised to notice about each type

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
stolen from PerC :tongue:
I'll start with a few

male 2s
often much more aggressive than they are painted in most literature. Sexual 2w3s often look like a combination of 3w2 and 8w7. the way you can tell them apart is
1) they're much more emotional than either a 3 or an 8. they're also much more prone to drama and (in some cases) excessive bravado (think Naruto or Theon Greyjoy)
2) they disintegrate to 8, not 9 and certainly not 5.
3) less apathetic and sociopathic than an 8

2s in general
much more power seeking than they appear on the surface. behind that 9-ish facade of false humility is a confident, socially adept string puller who is an expert at winning people over to his/her side.

3s
they really don't care as much about what people think about them as descriptions seem to suggest. 3s want respect for their accomplishments. as far as being liked and accepted, they really don't care as much, and most would laugh at the idea of bending over backwards to win someone else's acceptance. 3w2s care a little more about this because of their 2 wing, but mostly their charm and seduction are used as tactics for personal advancement rather than their primary objective,

Social 7s
For the longest time it baffled me why 7s are said to mistype at 2...then I read about the Social 7. Social 7s are what most people think of when they think of 7. they're bright, bubbly, cheerful, entertaining and typically enjoy large social events. however, when compared to Self Preservation, Sexual 7s and the core neurosis of 7, Social 7s are really the anti 7 of the bunch. Naranjo refers to Social 7s as anti gluttony and Maitri gives them the theme of Sacrifice.

head center types in general
overall, it is not gut types, but head types who are the most aggressive triad. with the exception of 8w7, gut types spend most of their time repressing their anger in various ways. typically, they let the little things slide and just forget about it. on the other hand, head types will fly into a mental frenzy of "what am I going to do about this?". they might not beat you down with a club, but 6s and 5s are often far more socially vicious than their head center counterparts and more willing to take the time and energy to plot revenge.

Social Instinct
when I first read about the social instinct, it made me think of tribal gatherings, bars full of drunken sports fans and high school cliques, but I've come to realize that the Social instinct is generally the most intellectual of the instincts, possessing and almost Ni-ish means of knowing what's going on and how everything and everyone are interconnected (which I'm increasingly finding is a very useful ability that I lack completely). contrary to my previous opinions, So doms are also among the most socially critical types and can typically tell you all manner of things they'd like to see changed in their society or the world at large.

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
Naranjo's Character and Neurosis:Enneatype 4 said:
Refinement

An inclination to refinement (and the corresponding aversion to grossness) is manifest in descriptors such as “stylish,” “delicate,” “elegant,” “tasteful,” “artistic,” “sensitive,” and sometimes “arty” and “affected,” “mannered” and “posturing.” They may be understood as efforts on the part of the person to compensate for a poor self-image (so that an ugly self-image and the refined self-ideal may be seen as reciprocally supporting each other); also, they convey the attempt on the part of the person to be something different from what he or she is, perhaps connected to class envy. The lack of originality entailed by such imitativeness in turn; perpetuates an envy of originality—just as the attempt to imitate original individuals and the wish to emulate spontaneity are doomed to fail.

At face value this part legitimately surprised me, because it just flat out says that 4's are actually emulating the greats/artistics rather than actually being original themselves. You always hear that 4's are the original artistic type, so it's pretty surprising to see this part about them. (Someone else responded to this and clarified it for me, so thanks)

Another thing I find to be surprising is that Gut types generally seem to have a hidden case of having overly high standards. As the lose of their holy aspect is largely caused by them finding out negative things about other people and reacting poorly to such circumstances. Arguably seen better with type 8 and 9 than 1 too. Though I can't think of a reason why 1 is a tad looser in that respect. Arguably because the world decided that what they saw as perfect wasn't so instead of themselves?

6s are generally the most raw type of the enneagram, in contrast to the 2 who often exaggerates the affects the world have on them. As everything seems to affect them, and they don't seem to mind responding to their own reactions. Everyone else blocks out what they don't like about themselves in one way, and the type 6 doesn't do so as often as other types do (they do obviously just not as much as other types do). It is where the aspect of 6's hyper vigilance comes into play really. This is only theoretical though.

Standuble

At face value this part legitimately surprised me, because it just flat out says that 4's are actually emulating the greats/artistics rather than actually being original themselves. You always hear that 4's are the original artistic type, so it's pretty surprising to see this part about them. (Someone else responded to this and clarified it for me, so thanks).

I assume this means that the whole thing has been explained but if not then I think I can shed light on the matter. Enneagram fours (at least those I've encountered) have a poor self image which (when not in inflated special snowflake mode) can preclude the observation of any legitimate strengths they may have - in this case that they are original in their own right. For example if one created a number of story or fantasy worlds inside their head but then they could in turn quickly determine the source(s) of the various ideas they would perceive themselves as someone only capable of mere regurgitation of the creativity of others and not actually being someone who is original and creative themselves. Perceiving themselves as a fake or deficient in their desired area they turn their attention to other creative people who they think actually possess genuine originality and creativity and desire to emulate them in order to make up for where they lack (note that they desire to emulate only in the area of their perceived deficiency. They have no desire to emulate the entire person beyond those points.)

Whilst in the above case the individual probably does fairly classify as a creative individual as they have may have turned an existing idea into a brand new permutation e.g. an idea used in a different setting or different circumstances to create a different effect this only comes into play during the inflation of the ego (the ignoring of one's self esteem issues for the sake of feeling special). It doesn't help that others come to the conclusion of originality for that individual when that individual themselves realises that the observer's opinion is created merely because they are not aware of the idea's source.

The above is just one scenario but from what I understand it occurs across the board in a large number of creative outlets (perhaps all of them).

S

Stansmith

Not all 4s are 'obvious' on the surface. Alot of them just seem like regular people with their own private inner worlds.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really like the description of social instinct :)

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not all 4s are 'obvious' on the surface. Alot of them just seem like regular people with their own private inner worlds.

This is discussable... 4s are known as nonconformists, the ones who put individuality above all alse. They are also self expressive and it's more than common, that a 4 will want to express their individuality on the outside. For example with untraditional ideas, alternative fashion, or alternative life style. Maybe there are other enneagram types, that can behave similar to 4s, but there's always that "I am so independent, alternative, uniqe" strike in 4s, that makes them pretty markable for others.

S

Stansmith

This is discussable... 4s are known as nonconformists, the ones who put individuality above all alse. They are also self expressive and it's more than common, that a 4 will want to express their individuality on the outside. For example with untraditional ideas, alternative fashion, or alternative life style. Maybe there are other enneagram types, that can behave similar to 4s, but there's always that "I am so independent, alternative, uniqe" strike in 4s, that makes them pretty markable for others.

Sure, but that type of attitude is common among young people in general. Plenty of 3s, 5s, 6s, 7s and 9s present themselves as individualists.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'd say being authentic is what I strive for more, rather than being JUST 'original'. I think instinctual variants and MBTI can play a role.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, but that type of attitude is common among young people in general. Plenty of 3s, 5s, 6s, 7s and 9s present themselves as individualists.

Exactly. There is nothing original about being a hipster, goth, emo, etc. so I don't get why that's so heavily associated with 4.

S

Stansmith

Exactly. There is nothing original about being a hipster, goth, emo, etc. so I don't get why that's so heavily associated with 4.

Insistent edginess for it's own sake (Dali, Warhol, Oscar Wilde types) strikes me as more 3-ish.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think true originality is impossible. We can rip off styles and stories even without consciously remembering our influences. Even absent of derivation, I constantly come up with independent, out of nowhere ideas that other people have had before just because there are so many brains in the world, and thus the probability is high. So, I just do what I to do, look as I want to look, and don't worry about that.

Sunny Ghost

On the surface, I don't really think I have a vibe that is in your face. I've tended to prefer to blend into the woodwork and have little flair. Or understated flair.

I'd say being authentic is what I strive for more, rather than being JUST 'original'. I think instinctual variants and MBTI can play a role.
This.

Insistent edginess for it's own sake (Dali, Warhol, Oscar Wilde types) strikes me as more 3-ish.
My thoughts exactly.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think true originality is impossible. We can rip off styles and stories even without consciously remembering our influences. Even absent of derivation, I constantly come up with independent, out of nowhere ideas that other people have had before just because there are so many brains in the world, and thus the probability is high. So, I just do what I to do, look as I want to look, and don't worry about that.

I often have the same thing happen to me. I’ve always wondered if you were to raise a human in perfect isolation to the world, would that human repeat the same pattern of thinking or not?

The thing I have noticed is that the one word descriptions of the groups (Guts, Heads, and Images) are extremely apt, when describing how they deal with fear. Guts react, Heads get stuck in their heads, and Images control their projection.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I really like the description of social instinct :)

Same :D

6s are generally the most raw type of the enneagram, in contrast to the 2 who often exaggerates the affects the world have on them. As everything seems to affect them, and they don't seem to mind responding to their own reactions. Everyone else blocks out what they don't like about themselves in one way, and the type 6 doesn't do so as often as other types do (they do obviously just not as much as other types do). It is where the aspect of 6's hyper vigilance comes into play really. This is only theoretical though.

That's really interesting. I think in some ways it's true. Most of the other types tend to selectively take information in so as not to wound their ego - they're more up front about it. They construct consistent, lasting "realities" and stories. 6s do more post-processing and rapidly move from "reality" to "reality" as problems arise and are dealt with. I do feel like I have a very practical viewpoint on things - like that what is, is, and there's no sense in pretending otherwise or acting otherwise.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same :D

That's really interesting. I think in some ways it's true. Most of the other types tend to selectively take information in so as not to wound their ego - they're more up front about it. They construct consistent, lasting "realities" and stories. 6s do more post-processing and rapidly move from "reality" to "reality" as problems arise and are dealt with. I do feel like I have a very practical viewpoint on things - like that what is, is, and there's no sense in pretending otherwise or acting otherwise.

Yes. Exactly. I don't know what it is about your posts but I think so similarly to you. I just can say things the way you can.

Also, this is one of the lost enjoyable threads I have read in quite some time.

B

brainheart

I couldn't agree more. It always bugs me when the need to feel unique card is emphasized as what fours are all about. I think it's why there are so many people who mistype as four or want to be four. But what I think it is is that non-fours interpret the four drive for authenticity as this need to be different. That's not it at all, it's just this need to be true to the self. I also think it's why fours are so driven to fully understand themselves, because if they don't fully understand themselves, what is the self that they are supposed to be true to?

It's kind of like what [MENTION=17945]Misty[/MENTION] said, you're never going to create something wholly original. But you can take bits of pieces from the people you admire and create something that is true to you. I can't think of a single four artist, writer, musician who didn't copy the style of someone they admired when starting out but eventually that style copying led to something different.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know if I agree with this. It seems to me- at least where counterphobic 6 is concerned- that e6s block information they don't like about themselves by seeing the characteristics they don't want to own in other people instead. All people do this, but counterphobic 6s do this with an unparalleled panache. It's very unnerving to deal with an e6 who is on some self-righteous witch-hunt to call people out on things left and right; it's like they're trying to exorcise demons in other people- but the more they do it, the more they keep seeing even more demons all over the place (which will continue to be the case until they get rid of the demons in their own head). I very strongly associate this way of blocking information about oneself- paired with some compulsion to 'point it out' about others- as being e6.

What you wrote may apply to phobic e6 though, to some extent. (eta: It seems like phobic e6 goes through something similar- but instead of 'pointing it out', they freeze like a deer in headlights and don't know what to believe? Not sure.)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes. Exactly. I don't know what it is about your posts but I think so similarly to you. I just can say things the way you can.

Also, this is one of the lost enjoyable threads I have read in quite some time.

Thank you for the compliment :) I feel like I resonate very well with your posting too but you seem to express things with more clarity than I can.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if I agree with this. It seems to me- at least where counterphobic 6 is concerned- that e6s block information they don't like about themselves by seeing the characteristics they don't want to own in other people instead. All people do this, but counterphobic 6s do this with an unparalleled panache. It's very unnerving to deal with an e6 who is on some self-righteous witch-hunt to call people out on things left and right; it's like they're trying to exorcise demons in other people- but the more they do it, the more they keep seeing even more demons all over the place (which will continue to be the case until they get rid of the demons in their own head). I very strongly associate this way of blocking information about oneself- paired with some compulsion to 'point it out' about others- as being e6.

What you wrote may apply to phobic e6 though, to some extent. (eta: It seems like phobic e6 goes through something similar- but instead of 'pointing it out', they freeze like a deer in headlights and don't know what to believe? Not sure.)

Hmm. As a CP6 I can see this but I'm not sure you have the CP6's motivation down correctly. Definitely from a observer of CP6 behavior, which is interesting in its own right.

Somewhere along their "crusade" it turns personal. This is where the CP6 goes off the rails. Best intentions turn awry and so forth. CP6 isn't normally going after someone because of self-righteousness. Quite the opposite. CP6's rarely feel better than anyone else. Which is why we are extremely egalitarian.

How it can look like self-righteousness (which it can) is in us "sticking up" for what we see as a breakdown of fairness. Meaning someone is cheating the system or inversely taking advantage of others. It doesn't matter to the CP6 whether this is purposeful or incidental fallout - until the CP6 investigates further. Then, if the CP6 realizes said person is doing this purposefully - they will zero in and try to oust that person of their credibility.

You won't be able to change their minds about said person and witch-hunting will commence and in their attempt to destroy said person, their behavior can get nasty because once we see someone "playing dirty" we do the same. Fair is fair. To outsiders, this can look hypocritical and self-righteous, not to mention completely contradictory to their normal behavior. The motivation for said behavior is in protecting someone/something sacred to the CP6. I just wanted to clarify.

Thats not to say assumption made by observation by the CP6 is correct. If it isn't, it causes disaster for everyone including the CP6. We can get hung with our own noose. It happens. CP6's would do well to remember the big picture and not get too bogged down with seek-and-destroy type behavior.

rav3n

Considering how fives fear being useless, helpless and incapable, when they finally attach in relationships, they can be quite clingy and needy.