User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    @Showbread @IndyAnnaJoan
    What are some examples of that 9 behavior?
    I had an ISFP 9 roommate, he was a really sweet guy but extremely flakey. He moved out very unexpectedly, he'd told us he was going to have to leave by the end of the month but tried to pack up all his stuff in the middle of the night without telling us 2 weeks before that.

He told us he was moving back on 3 different occasions and never ended up showing up, which made us have to pay more rent than we should have because we had an empty room saved for him. The first time he allegedly was driving here (south dakota to california) and his car broke down when he was like 3 hours away from our town, so he just went back to SD. Very skeptical about that story.

The other time, he was promising he would really show up this time, but admitted to not telling his boyfriend about his plans to move and was just going to leave in the middle of the night because he was sick of him. But ended up a no-show again and moved to Wyoming instead.

Man of mystery

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    How it can look like self-righteousness (which it can) is in us "sticking up" for what we see as a breakdown of fairness. Meaning someone is cheating the system or inversely taking advantage of others. It doesn't matter to the CP6 whether this is purposeful or incidental fallout - until the CP6 investigates further. Then, if the CP6 realizes said person is doing this purposefully - they will zero in and try to oust that person of their credibility.

You won't be able to change their minds about said person and witch-hunting will commence and in their attempt to destroy said person, their behavior can get nasty because once we see someone "playing dirty" we do the same. Fair is fair. To outsiders, this can look hypocritical and self-righteous, not to mention completely contradictory to their normal behavior. The motivation for said behavior is in protecting someone/something sacred to the CP6. I just wanted to clarify.

Thats not to say assumption made by observation by the CP6 is correct. If it isn't, it causes disaster for everyone including the CP6. We can get hung with our own noose. It happens. CP6's would do well to remember the big picture and not get too bogged down with seek-and-destroy type behavior.
    Well first- I don’t mean to imply I think this is what’s going on in every single CP6 (kinda like every 7 isn’t a full blown narcissist, every e5 a schizoid or every e8 a sadist, etc). I was just trying to make the point that I do see e6 having some e6 flavored story they cling to like any other type.

Second- yeah, that’s what it looks like on the outside (and to me). And what I was thinking about when I wrote that is a rather extreme end of it. At the bolded line above- it seems to me like some reach a point where ‘further investigation’ yields whatever they need it to yield? I’m not sure how to say this- there’s this strange confidence (?) they know they are Right….and they’re not. Specifically- when I said ‘self-righteous’- I’m referring to the shoot first and ask questions later attitude that some CP6 seem to have, like it’s better to err on the side of shooting the wrong people than to take the chance of someone who deserves it getting away without getting shot?

Where ‘further investigation’ actually reveals truth and where something unjust actually is exposed- that’s the plus side (just like the plus side of 5 is helpful to others, the plus side of seven is the boundless enthusiasm/joy, etc). What bothers me is that I’ve seen attempts to take people down a notch who really don’t deserve it- and where the CP6 would really almost obviously benefit more from focusing on themselves than focusing on ‘calling out’ others. I believe it’s a noble thing to actually level playing fields, but I also believe it’s really important to make sure the pedestals one wants to knock over are actually there.

Does that make more sense? Or is that still disagreeable?

*waits to be surprised to find out something about e6*

[And apologies for kinda derailing into side tangent.]
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

@IndyAnnaJoan @Showbread @chana

Yep, that's what I don't understand about my otherwise fab, textbook 9 sister. I cannot fathom putting a conflict, undone duty or other imbalance on the backburner as a path of least resistance. Loose ends are the most stressful option. If anything, I'm too weak at sitting with the unresolved, experiencing mental and physical effects that are so not worth it. How can you enjoy anything with such a huge backlog of missed school days just piled up there (she's found a better educational fit since)? The undone is a presence as solid as matter to me.

Thank you for the stories.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I guess, something to be surprised by type 4's is their need for cleanliness. I just realized most of us bitching about 9's messy behavior's are 4's.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Considering how fives fear being useless, helpless and incapable, when they finally attach in relationships, they can be quite clingy and needy.
    Cannot confirm nor deny.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Well first- I don’t mean to imply I think this is what’s going on in every single CP6 (kinda like every 7 isn’t a full blown narcissist, every e5 a schizoid or every e8 a sadist, etc). I was just trying to make the point that I do see e6 having some e6 flavored story they cling to like any other type.

Second- yeah, that’s what it looks like on the outside (and to me). And what I was thinking about when I wrote that is a rather extreme end of it. At the bolded line above- it seems to me like some reach a point where ‘further investigation’ yields whatever they need it to yield? I’m not sure how to say this- there’s this strange confidence (?) they know they are Right….and they’re not. Specifically- when I said ‘self-righteous’- I’m referring to the shoot first and ask questions later attitude that some CP6 seem to have, like it’s better to err on the side of shooting the wrong people than to take the chance of someone who deserves it getting away without getting shot?

Where ‘further investigation’ actually reveals truth and where something unjust actually is exposed- that’s the plus side (just like the plus side of 5 is helpful to others, the plus side of seven is the boundless enthusiasm/joy, etc). What bothers me is that I’ve seen attempts to take people down a notch who really don’t deserve it- and where the CP6 would really almost obviously benefit more from focusing on themselves than focusing on ‘calling out’ others. I believe it’s a noble thing to actually level playing fields, but I also believe it’s really important to make sure the pedestals one wants to knock over are actually there.

Does that make more sense? Or is that still disagreeable?

*waits to be surprised to find out something about e6*

[And apologies for kinda derailing into side tangent.]
    I think I know what you mean and have seen it before. A very powerful example of it, actually, at my work, not long ago. But I think what others are trying to get at here is that even when a 6 is doing that, they don't see themselves as a hero. They might feel like they are playing a "heroic" role, and they might act the part of the righteous, but I've been there before and done that and I didn't feel like a hero even though I was playing one to a certain extent. It's a consequence of the 6's constant questioning and doubting. An average 6 can't hold a self-concept that long, I don't think, if that makes sense, so it makes us more immune to forging a certain role for ourselves. Of course no one is totally protected from that - we all create ego narratives - but 6s, both phobic and cp, spend so much time questioning themselves and their actions that it's difficult for us to harbor a sense of righteousness for very long. Even if it appears from the outside that we do. 6s are more outwardly dedicated than we ever are within... I've read somewhere that the difference between a 3 and a 6 is that they both wear masks, but the 6 consciously realizes that they do.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Quote Originally Posted by PimpinMcBoltage View Post
    At face value this part legitimately surprised me, because it just flat out says that 4's are actually emulating the greats/artistics rather than actually being original themselves. You always hear that 4's are the original artistic type, so it's pretty surprising to see this part about them.
    All art is either plagiarism or a revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    Exactly. There is nothing original about being a hipster, goth, emo, etc. so I don't get why that's so heavily associated with 4.
    Agreed--my sister self-types as a social 4, but when she joined the emo movement, I had to question this. She makes fun of hipsters, though.

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I couldn't agree more. It always bugs me when the need to feel unique card is emphasized as what fours are all about. I think it's why there are so many people who mistype as four or want to be four. But what I think it is is that non-fours interpret the four drive for authenticity as this need to be different. That's not it at all, it's just this need to be true to the self. I also think it's why fours are so driven to fully understand themselves, because if they don't fully understand themselves, what is the self that they are supposed to be true to.
    I once read a 4 description which included the condescending advice that, "you don't need to always try to showcase your uniqueness. Try to peg your identity less on this" or something to that effect. Clearly, this author did not understand type 4.

I can't speak for the others, but I personally can't help it. It may seem so to others, but no "showcasing" is intended--I just kind of do the things I like. Even in the instances where I need to be "normal", it somehow backfires on me, hence me constantly wondering what's "wrong" with me and why I'm so messed up.

Being thought of as "unique" can be a point of pride for me, but also a wedge between myself and humanity. And it's really only a consequence of my inability to "sell-out" rather than anything I have specifically striven for. In my mind, it's all just obvious and normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    So true.

I think I have been surprised by how inconsiderate 9s can be sometimes. Mine seems blissfully unaware of how her actions impact other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    @IndyAnnaJoan @Showbread @chana

Yep, that's what I don't understand about my otherwise fab, textbook 9 sister. .
    GUYS. SO much agreement.

Now me, I'm as much of a slob as the 9s mentioned here (lovely sp-last)...but I've noticed that 9s are amongst the types most likely to decry others' selfishness, yet can be some of the most startlingly selfish people on the enneagram.

There's a reluctance to take moral responsibility (like reporting an affair to a questioning spouse) lest it disturb inner peace or upset others. It's like, Ummm...you gonna deal with this or let it blow up on the rest of us??" (You know what the answer is).

My parents are both 9s, and the times I've needed them most, they suddenly go absent. They feel that their presence doesn't "really matter" and they'd sooner not bother. Even when you ask them. With 9s, there's a major undertone of "not my problem". And, you can't even make them face their crimes.

I don't say that to bash 9s, but it's the legitimate downside of a psychological base designed to maintain inner equilibrium. All is sacrificed to the God of Peace.

Now for my own contributions:

6s. Sometimes, for all they try to cover bases and are capable of heroism under fire...sometimes they don't want to face how ugly problems can really be. Like a while back, I told my (biological) 6w5 father that I thought I was going under psychologically. I expected him to rush to support me or offer to send aid; something that would help--and he recoiled in horror. He was like, Um, no. You're not going under. You wouldn't be coherent and able to ask for help if you were going under...right? RIGHT?? All better, see? Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, right? He like, totally Sevened out on me. This was incredibly depressing at the time.

7s. They can be counterphobic and wind up obsessing over their own pain to make themselves see "how bad I can make myself feel for 15 minutes." They can go into deep psychology, primal screaming, stuff like that. They can be introspective, dark, sarcastic, negative. NOT the bubbly, upbeat, hyperactive monkeys portrayed by Riso and Hudson. Yet, they still do all these things to avoid being "trapped" in pain.

8s. They can be weirdly sensitive. Like I had this friend (8w7) who got rejected from a group project (and this was in college, so they were all grown adults). It put him in a bad mood like literally all day, and he told me about it several days later, still pissed off and chagrined. I was thinking, Dude, why is this bothering you so much?? As a 4w5, this is part of my daily reality so I can sympathise, but still, this was not what I expected of him!

1s. Can be really fun and light-hearted and eager to try new things outside of their Correctness Sphere. I remember my 1w2 grandmother as being the most fun person in the family, actually. You just didn't want to mess up the house or get in her way during holidays, lol.

Maybe more later. Maybe.
    *Need enneagram questionnaire?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post2218641
    Likes N/A liked this post

MBTI
    NFJ

ENTPs are easily offended by jokes

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I think I know what you mean and have seen it before. A very powerful example of it, actually, at my work, not long ago. But I think what others are trying to get at here is that even when a 6 is doing that, they don't see themselves as a hero. They might feel like they are playing a "heroic" role, and they might act the part of the righteous, but I've been there before and done that and I didn't feel like a hero even though I was playing one to a certain extent.
    Ahhh. Okay, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    It's a consequence of the 6's constant questioning and doubting. An average 6 can't hold a self-concept that long, I don't think, if that makes sense, so it makes us more immune to forging a certain role for ourselves. Of course no one is totally protected from that - we all create ego narratives - but 6s, both phobic and cp, spend so much time questioning themselves and their actions that it's difficult for us to harbor a sense of righteousness for very long. Even if it appears from the outside that we do. 6s are more outwardly dedicated than we ever are within... I've read somewhere that the difference between a 3 and a 6 is that they both wear masks, but the 6 consciously realizes that they do.

I half want to ask if the lack of a sense of self is the reason a CP6 in full bloom can't see him/herself as the source of the misunderstanding (as in- and not even consciously- but "the self can't be wrong because there is no self"), but the other half of me doesn't want to derail the thread further. That is interesting though. Thanks.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

WALMART

i am jack's complete lack of surprise

maybe the warmth of Fi

stupidity of Ti

obliviosity of Se

esotericism of Te

simplicity of Ni

insight of Si

disregard of Ne

power of Fe