123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default The Enneagram and Money

There was a session in my city about the Enneagram and Money recently. The gist of it was that your Enneagram type influences how you handle money. I didn't attend but talked to someone who did. 1s for example are savers and 7s like to have money for their fun stuff.

I personally have placed a priority on saving and investing as a way of establishing security. That way, if something bad happened, I would be able to survive without financial difficulty. For similar reasons, I avoid debt like the plague. This strikes me as very 6ish behavior.

How do you think different enneagram types handle money?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

9:

Eliminate and avoid debt.

Decent savers but may or may not take steps to invest it.

Waste perhaps a little bit too much money on a few select indulgences. Food, entertainment, etc. but not so much to cause issues with the the first point.

If a 9 gets really behind on their debt, they may have issues getting back on track.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    9:

Eliminate and avoid debt.

Decent savers but may or may not take steps to invest it.

Waste perhaps a little bit too much money on a few select indulgences. Food, entertainment, etc. but not so much to cause issues with the the first point.

If a 9 gets really behind on their debt, they may have issues getting back on track.
    Interesting. Maybe you don't waste as much as you think you do though. That is, it is a small amount in the big picture.

I absolutely waste money on indulgences. It's not enough to affect my security but it isn't insignificant either.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I'm not speaking for all 4's, but I've always been one to make impulsive purchases, regretting it afterwards, ESPECIALLY when it comes to clothes. I think I'll develop my sense of money-security-thing pretty well once I move out at 18 though, I'm just that kind of person somehow. If I had a lot of money I would donate more than half of it to charity.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I alternate between hoarding my money and spending very little, and making big, unnecessary purchases. Money is vulgar but fun when used correctly.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

I think the way you handle money is more relevant to your instincts than anything else, money is tied to the self preservation instinct.

As a 2 I'm really bad with money on a daily basis, I always pay too much for things and I buy emotionally, but somehow I've avoided debt and have a decent savings thanks to a few key life decisions.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I'm totally afraid of debt too. I don't have a credit card or own anything and am totally paranoid of ever having to do it. I basically always just have the mentality that I need money and can't afford to spend a lot.

I'm super cheap with most purchases, but tend to make lots of little purchases on like random things. I do spend a lot on some stuff, mostly food, alcohol, and coffee lol.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

I'm a 4 (historically typed as one anyway) and I hoard money. Lots of money. In fact arguably to the point of near mental illness, I am uncomfortable spending money even where there is reasonable evidence that the investment would make profitable returns. Nothing is bought unless I can reconcile it with my sense of self first. Otherwise I essentially have a paperweight on my hand which I hope I can find some sort of desire for later. It all leads to a point of stinginess which has provided plenty of criticism in the past (but part of me enjoys that reputation so I can live with it.)

The good news is that I've never been in debt. I do not have a credit card and don't owe money. I plan to move out and I am being careful to ensure that the essentials would still be within my means in a new property. Sadly I lack compassion for those who spend impulsively to the point of consuming debt. I abhor the idea of becoming another's slave and I am sure others do too. What in this world is worth becoming a slave over?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I think the way you handle money is more relevant to your instincts than anything else, money is tied to the self preservation instinct.
    That seems accurate.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Since this is about the Enneagram, it's likely that any theory of Enneagram and money would need to incorporate the health levels. Health levels can make a pretty big difference in our motivations, which can reflect in how we handle money.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Interesting. Maybe you don't waste as much as you think you do though. That is, it is a small amount in the big picture.

I absolutely waste money on indulgences. It's not enough to affect my security but it isn't insignificant either.
    Until I tightened things up a couple of months ago, I was spending between $900-$1,100 on food a month. For just me. (I've since cut that by over 50%, and am still working on lowering it.) Eating was my major form of avoidance, which is common among the "average" levels of the E9. Otherwise, my issues with avoidance usually saved me money, especially since I didn't get into any drug or drinking habit.

But yeah, while that wasn't a small amount, it wasn't causing me to go under each month or anything. Plus, I've had a 401K for years, which I got after I saw so many older people hit retirement age and not have any money.

One thing that may or may not be E9 specific is that my favorite way to learn about money is to study and analyze those people I know that are very good and successful with it. The theory doesn't interest me as much.