User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

My handling of money sounds basically like yours, @highlander. Priority on saving for security; strict avoidance of debt.

I've yet to invest because I'm saving up enough to invest in something that costs a little more initially but pays better in the long run.

My indulgence purchases are typically gifts for others... it's easy for me to spend on others. Spending on myself is more stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I think the way you handle money is more relevant to your instincts than anything else, money is tied to the self preservation instinct.
    I'm not sure what I think about this. It sounds right in general. I'm sp-last, but I've always been good with money. I assume it's the 6 cautiousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Udog
    9:

Eliminate and avoid debt.

Decent savers but may or may not take steps to invest it.

Waste perhaps a little bit too much money on a few select indulgences. Food, entertainment, etc. but not so much to cause issues with the the first point.
    This sounds exactly like my 9.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    9:

Eliminate and avoid debt.

Decent savers but may or may not take steps to invest it.

Waste perhaps a little bit too much money on a few select indulgences. Food, entertainment, etc. but not so much to cause issues with the the first point.

If a 9 gets really behind on their debt, they may have issues getting back on track.
    This is very much how I am.

The house and cars are functional but cheap and kind of crappy but totally paid off. We don't use credit cards or use credit for anything. We use older, refurbished smart phones with a cheap, no contract plan.

We have student loans that we'll probably never get paid off.

I love to eat out. I love good quality but average looking and comfortable clothes. I love books. Those are what I spend money on.

I handle the family's money, so I encourage my husband to use savings tools that come directly out of his paycheck and that I never touch because once the money is in my hands, it starts burning a hole in my pocket. I can keep the bills paid, food in the fridge, and gas in the vehicles, but after that, all bets are off.

Another factor to consider is upbringing and socio-eco status. I grew up poor and have lived hand to mouth most of my life. I am certain this influences how I relate to money.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    The house and cars are functional but cheap and kind of crappy but totally paid off. We don't use credit cards or use credit for anything. We use older, refurbished smart phones with a cheap, no contract plan.

I always buy used, and keep cars until they are at least 10 years old. (Oldest car was 16 years old.) I don't have any credit cards, but will likely change that because reward programs are better value than my bank card. I've had an iPhone for 2.5 years, but will likely downgrade back to a cheap plan in the next few months.

I handle the family's money, so I encourage my husband to use savings tools that come directly out of his paycheck and that I never touch because once the money is in my hands, it starts burning a hole in my pocket. I can keep the bills paid, food in the fridge, and gas in the vehicles, but after that, all bets are off.
    Amen. Although, I've always done well to keep at least 3-6 months of emergency funds handy. I like not having to stress about losing my job.

I did get up to a full years' salary worth of money in the bank. I ended up quitting my job for 8 months. While there were a lot of other issues behind that decision... probably not my finest hour! Now, I just invest the extra into stock market index funds and whatnot to keep the money from burning a hole in my pocket.

Another factor to consider is upbringing and socio-eco status. I grew up poor and have lived hand to mouth most of my life. I am certain this influences how I relate to money.
    Definitely.

e9: I'm not really driven to make more money than I need for necessities plus a select few indulgences. I try to stay on top of my bills and expenses with variable success; I generally do okay if I set good habits and trends from the get go.

Inertia.

Sometimes, I'll save up for one thing and then go blow it on something else, but I usually still really enjoy that something else, so it's okay.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@highlander
    I've always been rather financially prudent for a 7 (I thank the 3 fix, 1 fix and strong Self Preservation instinct)

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I alternate between hoarding my money and spending very little, and making big, unnecessary purchases. Money is vulgar but fun when used correctly.
    this is basically what I do (I think it's an Sx/Sp thing)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    this is basically what I do (I think it's an Sx/Sp thing)
    Sp/sx too, I think. Careful about money, then all of a sudden, WHOMP, big exciting purchase.

Sp/so seems more steady.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

The way I've used money has changed dramatically in the past year. I even remember feeling like a moron in threads like this in the past.

My failure to save was out of a combination of two things. First, fatalism. I had low expectations of my future, so spent on symbols of what I wanted out of life instead of going for the real thing because I didn't believe it was attainable for the broken person I thought I was. Secondly, overconfidence in my ability to solve systemic problems quickly, and without keeping physical records. Even today when I am writing a budget, the information feels obvious and like something I could work just fine in my head, but that's not true.

Overcoming the above involved seeing the contradiction between those two principles. Level of health means everything.

Now I do have savings and keep careful track of what I use. I get my problem solving fix from working out how to get the most out of very low use of resources.

Enneagram 4.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

My first instinct is to consider myself "cheap". I'm quite conservative with money and material possessions, though I always attributed this to my grandparents, who were financially conservative SJ, sp-first bankers who lived through the Great Depression. I was taught to "save whatever you don't absolutely need". And for the most part I do--I get a paycheck and put it all in the bank.

The money I spend is usually on food and rent. Just the necessities. I don't like getting into debt; even on my credit card, I won't buy what I don't have backed up by the bank (I think the current financial situation is just bizarre--I can't imagine people could be that stupid!). I'm always trying to find a better deal, minimize my needs and expenditures, get more for less, etc.

Basically, I live off nothing and try to save half of whatever I earn.

Ah, but I wouldn't be me without a massive dollop of contradiction to all this.

Basically, though I try to conserve it as a resource, money holds little interest to me beyond covering my ass and giving me the ability to do what I want. I've no desire to center my life around the acquisition of money--any acquisitive tendencies I have are a game and nothing more. If I get incorrectly charged for something, it's going to take more effort for me to speak up about that than it's worth to me (like one time I refused an Amazon purchase, but they charged me $20 anyway, and I didn't even bother to contest it).

I'm also inclined towards spending my hoardings in stupid ways--penny wise and pound foolish. I'll spend forever finding the "cheapest" internet cafe for instance, to save 50 cents...then spend 50 dollars on books. I'll live off slices of bread for a week to save money, then spend it all on a movie. I'll put money away for years, then obliterate it on an extended vacation. PRIORITIES, people!

Plus, I also do that thing when I come into civilization again and see all the sparkly stuff and delicious food around me...and it's like an Se binge.

And if I have a solid number in the bank, it's actually harder for me to break that than it is for me to conserve the cash I have on hand. If you give me a debit card, I'll rigorously maintain the balance because I don't like watching the number get pared down. But if you put a $50 bill in my hand, it will be gone within 48 hours.

So I'm not sure if I'm a spender or a saver. There's two distinct halves to me here.

I imagine instincts are at least AS important as enneatype here.
    I am 4w5 sx/soc

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    And if I have a solid number in the bank, it's actually harder for me to break that than it is for me to conserve the cash I have on hand. If you give me a debit card, I'll rigorously maintain the balance because I don't like watching the number get pared down. But if you put a $50 bill in my hand, it will be gone within 48 hours.
    This ... but take 48 hours and divide it by 12 and you get the picture, haha. There's something about cash that makes me just want to blow it immediately. It's why I try not to pull any more money from the ATM than I absolutely have to. It just disappears.

Ginkgo

I think I'm somewhere in between lax and rigid with my money. I save it for unnecessary things after attempting to analyze how I can gain the most out of the smallest amount of effort. I'm the kind of person who buys a small apartment with a massive entertainment system. In the end, it tends to work out and I've rarely racked up debt for utilities - I don't want it all to hang out. Maybe @chana can relate to some of this.