• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The desire for fame: What variants/types/image fixes are responsible for this?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Kanye West is a social-last 6 and he exemplifies what you describe. It's likely the 3-connection and the fix, although obviously, I don't know you that well.

I think that he's a social last 7w8, but good example anyway.

As a 3w4-fixer, I wouldn't mind the lowkey fame/irrelevancy of a writer or film director (not your huge, blockbuster types). I don't need to be noticed on the street as long as I'm making decent money, enjoying myself, and I'm relatively important to some niche group that won't get all fan-girly on me. I could lead a relatively normal life and still feel somewhat famous.

I want to be famous to the whole world, not just some shitty social nitche.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
What are your motives for this?

I want to be in the creme of the crop of society. I want people to look at me with amazement at how much I have accomplished. I don't want to be like everyone else, and I want to be above the average common folk, so to say. I want to have a lot of money to buy nice things and take my dates out to fine meals at nice restaurants. I just want success damn it, and I want everyone to see it!

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I want to be in the creme of the crop of society. I want people to look at me with amazement at how much I have accomplished. I don't want to be like everyone else, and I want to be above the average common folk, so to say. I want to have a lot of money to buy nice things and take my dates out to fine meals at nice restaurants. I just want success damn it, and I want everyone to see it!

All that sounds more related to 3 than the social instinct. :)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In what way?

It's more simply a desire to impress everyone else than actually ascend some sort of social ladder where more and more people like you. You just care about having your achievements applauded and admired rather than actually using your achievements to strengthen your bonds with other people. The social instinct doesn't always desire success, it's more concerned with building relationships and navigating through the social realm. You simply want to ascend higher than everyone else around you. sp-lasts in particular wouldn't care as long as they were getting proper stimulation and intensity (sx/so) or connecting with other people (so/sx).

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
It's more simply a desire to impress everyone else than actually ascend some sort of social ladder where more and more people like you. You just care about having your achievements applauded and admired rather than actually using your achievements to strengthen your bonds with other people. The social instinct doesn't always desire success, it's more concerned with building relationships and navigating through the social realm. You simply want to ascend higher than everyone else around you. sp-lasts in particular wouldn't care as long as they were getting proper stimulation and intensity (sx/so) or connecting with other people (so/sx).

I guess.

S

Stansmith

I've noticed that I spend a lot of time daydreaming about what I would say and look like on a talk show interview.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I would not want like to be plastered all over magazines and all over internet sites and be criticized if I gained a pound or had a baby or went on a date. I wouldn't want wether or not I had plastic surgery to be the headlines of some tabloid or see my face as a two-headed alien while standing in line at the grocery store. I wouldn't want to be unable to come out of my house without having to fight off photographers and I wouldn't want my family harrassed. I wouldn't want all of the fake friends and traps that come with fame, all of the false praise that people give you when you're famous. Still, I will probably never have to worry too much about it. I want a quiet and peaceful life that touches many lives and inspires them to touch more lives. Fame is nothing to aspire to and if one finds herself famous, then that person has a great responsibilty and it's a hard responsibilty. I don't think that most people who become famous are actually equiped to handle it.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would not want like to be plastered all over magazines and all over internet sites and be criticized if I gained a pound or had a baby or went on a date. I wouldn't want wether or not I had plastic surgery to be the headlines of some tabloid or see my face as a two-headed alien while standing in line at the grocery store. I wouldn't want to be unable to come out of my house without having to fight off photographers and I wouldn't want my family harrassed. I wouldn't want all of the fake friends and traps that come with fame, all of the false praise that people give you when you're famous. Still, I will probably never have to worry too much about it. I want a quiet and peaceful life that touches many lives and inspires them to touch more lives. Fame is nothing to aspire to and if one finds herself famous, then that person has a great responsibilty and it's a hard responsibilty. I don't think that most people who become famous are actually equiped to handle it.

True... But people are almost infinitely elastic. Four hundred years ago all or nearly all of your ancestors were peasants barely managing to grub a living out of the ground somewhere. So were mine. Today we live vastly more privileged lives, to which we have adapted. If someone is put in a famous position, they can adapt to it if they really try.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
True... But people are almost infinitely elastic. Four hundred years ago all or nearly all of your ancestors were peasants barely managing to grub a living out of the ground somewhere. So were mine. Today we live vastly more privileged lives, to which we have adapted. If someone is put in a famous position, they can adapt to it if they really try.

True and I agree that they can adapt to it, but I see fame as an ultimate test of character. I've often thought that how we handle fame and prosperity show more about what we're made of than how we handle poverty or at least, it shows just as much.

Mole

Permabanned
Fact is we live in the Attention Economy. And who garners the most attention wins. And it is celebrities who are the winners.

And although we daydream about being celebrities ourselves, we whinge and complain that they are famous for just being famous, they have done nothing to earn fame.

So we pay our celebrities in attention, we pay attention.

And we would love to be paid that much attention ourselves.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know the answer- but my variants are in my signature and I can say, I do NOT desire fame. I DO desire leaving a mark on the world. If it is something that people can benefit from and can outlive me (say if I wrote a book or something) but not the fame per se to go with it. (A little money while I'm alive here from it is perfectly fine though. lol)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

I could handle it.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] then by all means, go for it.

Mole

Permabanned
Even if a baby is fed, kept warm and safe, but is paid no attention, the baby will die.

So naturally we associate attention with survival.

So the desire for fame is deeply rooted in our psyche. We feel, with some justification, that if we are not paid attention, we will die.

So when we pay each other attention, we are feeding our psyche at the deepest level of survival.