• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Using Enneagram at Work

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anybody do this? Do you try to type people? How to you use it?

I have always thought it primarily to be a tool for self development but perhaps there are other uses.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it can be useful to know your colleague's Enneagram type so you will be able to motivate them better and create a positive, nurturing work environment for everyone. However, I think it will be a bit harder to be 'properly introduced' to the workplace, though, because while the MBTI can be put in a positive way, the Enneagram talks about basic fears and needs that might make people uncomfortable.

I've also found it a lot harder to guess people's E-types if you don't know them intimately.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm casually involved in campus ministry at my old university (i.e. the university I graduated in May) -- and just about everyone else I've talked to who's involved in campus ministry work, in the city, has been OBSESSED with the Enneagram. Using it for spiritual development and whatnot. Talking about it in workshops. But not workshops with the general public -- workshops with other people involved in campus ministry (lay and ordained).

I found it very surprising, hearing what other peoples' types were. It gave me the impression that campus ministers, if they aren't Nines, will take on Nine-like behavior. Merging with the person in need, disregarding the self in lieu of being wholly there for the other. It was bizarre, only knowing someone from that behavior, and then finding out they're a 3w4. :laugh:

But to answer your question [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], I think in my case it only made sense in a work environment because personal growth was an inherent part of the job, and of the job culture.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anybody do this? Do you try to type people? How to you use it?
I have always thought it primarily to be a tool for self development but perhaps there are other uses.
I type people compulsively :tongue:
of course, it's only a rough estimation until I get to know them better, but, both in terms of MBTI and Enneagram, I've found it useful in figuring out how to deal with people

B

brainheart

I'm a solo worker so I don't, but I know I would if I had a job. I think it is difficult to figure out other people's etypes though. For example, I think I just figured out my mom which really shouldn't be that difficult. Some people are tricky, though, especially if they are the countertype instinct wise.

Enneagram is definitely used in business, though. Here's one of many websites about it: http://theenneagraminbusiness.com/index.html

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I passed this out at work and asked everyone what one they thought they were. It was easy. I don't work in a huge office though. I only did it with about 15 ppl. They thought it was fun. ha ha

I think it's definitely helped me. Especially since now, I'm realizing, I work with a lot of E2's and E4's. I phrase things differently to them now, so it's not so abrasive sounding to them. And I give the E8's the quick follow up/results they want.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My workplace has some thing called "Print" they're using... after taking the Print test, scoring primary 5 and secondary 9, it's pretty obvious that it's just the Enneagram redressed to look all "corporate"-y.

There was supposed to be a workshop session to attend to discuss this with the ladies (don't really know them, assuming they're HR or something) and other peers who've just taken it, but they were having "technical difficulties" that day and didn't notify me for a followup session. From talking about it with my fellow IT folks, they all sneered and laughed a bit at it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find it's a useful tool with understanding anyone who plays a large enough role in your life, as we spend so much time at work that is no exception. It helps show different priorities and focuses, explains behaviours and helps with resolving conflicts. E-type generally becomes pretty obvious after time and seeing people under stress to see what fears are driving them. Once known you can use that knowledge in any number of ways, both positive and underhanded.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some people you can pin down based on the everyday, and some people you cannot.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Actually the first time I ever heard of it was at my on-campus job as an undergrad. My boss had a penchant for typology. I think she had me pegged as a 6 but I never really found out because unfortunately they did the official Enneagram testing session while I was studying abroad.

As for at work... I don't think that people should be forced to share their type if they don't desire to. Obviously some are going to relate with their types more than others, and I don't think it's useful to force a categorization. But it would be interesting if they wanted to share. I like to turn Enneagram and MBTI over in my head while I'm bored at work and I think I have at least a good guess for a fair number of my immediate coworkers' types. I try to use it to improve communication and avoid unintentionally hurting them.