• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types at work.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At work as an adult, it's similar. I am more like a competency type. Nose to the grindstone, finish what I start, am absolutely reliable, no-nonsense. I don't take most things personally (unless I feel incompetent anyway, or someone tells me my performance is bad)--I was known by my former boss for being unflappable, diplomatic, and always able to solve all customer problems, no matter how sticky. Not bad for someone with no social skills!

Anyway, I resent condescending descriptions of 4s who can't keep their shit together at work. I don't actually indulge in drama there, nor do I get "hurt feelings" or need to "express my emotions". I show up, I do the damn job, I go home. I may comment on the politics of the work situation, but for the most part, I'd sooner not get involved.

I can relate to much of this.

On the job I have always been dependable, competent, good with time management, communicative with my boss on where I'm at, as well as communicating when there are issues and stating those less palatable things. Diplomatic, yes. Deemed good with communication and navigating that; with ofc occasional clashes, but those have been rare.

Not a terribly excellent team player though, meaning I will rock the boat or question something if something doesn't make sense to me or I think something isn't a good idea. I have never desired to be the focal point, dislike running meetings (even though have had a previous job where that was required of me, which was very stressful), and don't often speak up in meetings/so on, but I'll be the person who points out one or two things I see as key, summing things up and so on.

I'm not highly personable in a social sense on the job, though; I don't go out of my way to befriend myself to others, I keep to myself often. I also don't care for the 'obligatory' 'good mornings' and chit chat; I'll chat with people on my own terms, if I'm in the mood, if it's coming from a place in me where I really want to chat or something. I imagine as a result, I may confuse some people, as I may seem unfriendly/closed off for a while, then if I chat with them and am in that mood, I'm suddenly more chatty and expressive, bubbly even, engaging, or go into mini-rant-frustration-mode if something work-related. But mostly I have never used work as a social thing... just work, keep on good terms with everyone, mostly stick to myself, go home. Maybe a lot of it is that I've never had a job that really is 'me', though, it's always just been something to have a paycheck, thus I can't relate to the environment itself or most of the people I work with, and I inevitably over time can't tolerate being there anymore. This is a recurring problem for me and I am still needing to address it more effectively/in a more longterm sense.

But throughout that whole process I'm always a good employee (i.e. viewed positively by boss and others), also aware of office politics/vibes; if I eventually come to dislike the job/vibe/reality, I exit the job prior to the point where I'd cease being able to do it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have the luxury of being in a job where I can be myself for the most part. I can work alone for long stretches, no one presses me for chit-chat or unwanted socializing, but help is always forthcoming when someone asks. I can give free rein to my creativity, and structure my projects as I see fit, involving others as needed. We all speak rather plainly and directly, so I get little direct praise, and the occasional criticism that is legitimate and respectfully explained. This is fine by me, and how I treat others as well. We are all good about recognition and appreciation, though, and will thank others for helping us, and even let their supervisors know.

I routinely see better ways of doing things or creative solutions to problems, and have always felt free to speak up about them. My managers have always appreciated this about me, especially how I think it though and can present them fully-formed solutions, which they can put their minor tweaks on and then approve. I have no problem structuring my work to meet deadlines, and the project management/technical communications aspects of my job come naturally, though they are not my favorite parts.

The people-management aspect of my job has been the greatest challenge. I am not a supervisor and never will be, but several years ago I was made chairperson of an international technical panel. As (almost) the youngest person in the group, I had to guide us all in coming up with the our panel charter - what we would accomplish during our tenure - and keeping us on track in implementing it. It was like herding cats at the beginning. I had to learn to rely on the input of everyone else, and to trust that it all would sort itself out in the end. It felt like I was jumping off a cliff, but it worked just this way.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Anyway. What holds more weight in reading someone's true personality: how you are at home or in casual situations with friends and intimates, or how you carry yourself at work and/or school? Or, both or neither, especially seeing as some types develop bigger work/home life splits in their manner than others? The common meme is that you should go by how you are when you are free to let your hair down, but I'm not sure. How you face a system and choose whether and how to work within it speaks a hell of a lot about your character, IMHO

I tend to put a lot more emphasis on how people are at home, or among their family, friends, and chosen social groups than how they are at work. Of course, who we are does come out at work, but the fact is that a lot of people don't really have the freedom to "be themselves" at work -- but that varies a lot among both the type of employment and the personality of the person in question. I know that it's stereotypical to say, but a lot of professional office job environments tend to emphasize stereotypical "SJ" environments -- because the hierarchical structure, emphasis on detail, timelines, etc. are much more in demand than traits that other personality types would tend to prefer. That's not a bad thing, but it's just a fact... some people have to alter their behavior from their natural preferences more than others do to succeed at a job.

Not a terribly excellent team player though, meaning I will rock the boat or question something if something doesn't make sense to me or I think something isn't a good idea.

Heh - yeah. Same here. I'm sure I didn't make myself a lot of friends at my previous job -- not when it came to my supervisors, anyway. The clients loved me, though.

I have never desired to be the focal point, dislike running meetings (even though have had a previous job where that was required of me, which was very stressful), and don't often speak up in meetings/so on, but I'll be the person who points out one or two things I see as key, summing things up and so on

At one point, I would have said this... but now, I tend to struggle *not* to "take charge". I guess it's mostly a matter of control... it's arrogant to say it, but many times, when the topic's one I know about, I tend to think that I know what's best, how to drive the discussion, etc. For the most part, people tend to agree with me. I tend to either zone out and say nothing, or dominate the meeting by saying too much, driving the meeting myself (out of impatience, usually).

Maybe a lot of it is that I've never had a job that really is 'me', though, it's always just been something to have a paycheck, thus I can't relate to the environment itself or most of the people I work with, and I inevitably over time can't tolerate being there anymore. This is a recurring problem for me and I am still needing to address it more effectively/in a more longterm sense.

:solidarity:

Yeah. I've often wondered what sort of job would really be "me". Not a lot of things really came up. Science-fiction author, professional golfer (I enjoy but am horrible at golf :p), actor, etc. I think part of it's that I'm very, very independent, and hate being given direction by others. My occupation (programmer) in a lot of ways probably is about the best fit for me in terms of skills and employability, but a lot of it's dealing with things that really grate on me -- dependence on others, not having the final say, etc.