• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Four vs Six

Sunny Ghost

I'm curious if I've mistyped myself.

Would anyone be so kind to offer descriptions between the two that can help to clarify differences and why some sixes misidentify as four.

Also, specific ISFP 4 and ISFP 6 examples would be very helpful. :)

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] [MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION]

Last edited:
S

Stansmith

If you suddenly became an integral, indistinguishable, ordinary, average member of a group of dependable happy/optimistic friends who cherish you and cater to your needs, would you be content or frustrated?

6s want to be liked and appreciated, 4s want to be understood and embraced for their essence. The Six is happy when the popular kids ask him to hang out, while the Four will still be sad regardless until he/she feels like a true, genuine connection has been made.

Sunny Ghost

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] I'm actually not certain. I tend to run with an eccentric crowd. I sometimes ask myself, why can't I seem to make friends with "normal" types? Average joes, with normal jobs who are well integrated into the world. I then assume I must be incapable of coming off "normal" myself, and therefore attract odd personalities.

But I also wonder, were I to hang out with a more "normal" crowd, would it be utterly boring? Or would I be more well adjusted?

To the second question: Both. I would be excited initially. But terrified at the same time. It's something I also connected to my introversion. I cannot be friends with people based on a shallow relationship. I'm always trying to reach to the core of people. "Who are you? What do you stand for? Where did you come from and how has that molded you?" And so forth. If I am not given an opportunity to get to know someone, then I'll turn down every invitation. But would be giddy at the thought of being considered worthy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize if I sound like I'm rambling. I'm actually very sleepy at the moment and am not certain why I haven't called it a night yet.

Last edited:
B

brainheart

I'm curious if I've mistyped myself.

Would anyone be so kind to offer descriptions between the two that can help to clarify differences and why some sixes misidentify as four.

Also, specific ISFP 4 and ISFP 6 examples would be very helpful. :)

It seems to me, as a four: Sixes have this more heady energy- a lot more anxious and keyed up. It's like you can hear the gears in their head turning. Or there's this sort of nervousness. They seem more either cynical or skeptical (typically 6w5) or trusting and lighter/fun (6w7). They seem more human to me, if that makes sense. Sixes may rebel for the sake of rebelling- for example, shaving their head and getting tattoos just to 'freak people out'. There are a lot more authority issues, or issues with belonging, or issues with deliberately setting themselves apart. Sixes are more loyal and supportive/ desire loyalty and support than fours. They tend to think out loud or tell their thoughts to others in order to process them- the 6w7s, anyway.

Fours have more of a heavy heart energy- this regretful moroseness. When I think of four I think of the first verse of a poem by Paul Verlaine- Il pleure dans mon coeur comme il pleut sur la ville/ Quelle est cette langueur qui penetre mon coeur- It cries in my heart like it rains on the city/ What is this languor which penetrates my heart?

Fours tend to be more sullen or despondent. This isn't to say a four can't have fun and can't be silly, but there's always this undercurrent that the fun silliness is fleeting. Fours are separated from others, but they don't do this deliberately. They just are. They may shave their head and get tattoos but it's more about expressing something within. Fours don't rebel so much as just have a different way of seeing things/ doing things. Others may perceive this as rebellion, but it's not. Fours are self absorbed- by this mean, every thing comes back into the self- how does this affect me? How does this make me feel? How does this relate to my past and me feelings of regret, shame, envy? Fours can also be supportive, but often drop people when the relationship 'feels wrong'. They have higher expectations and become frustrated more easily.

More importantly though, you said you very much related to what I said about the four image- why the questioning?

My guesses:

ISFP Fours- Heath Ledger (4w3), Bob Dylan (4w5)

ISFP 6w5- Kristen Stewart. 6w7- Woody Allen, Julie Delpy

Sunny Ghost

It seems to me, as a four: Sixes have this more heady energy- a lot more anxious and keyed up. It's like you can hear the gears in their head turning. Or there's this sort of nervousness. They seem more either cynical or skeptical (typically 6w5) or trusting and lighter/fun (6w7). They seem more human to me, if that makes sense. Sixes may rebel for the sake of rebelling- for example, shaving their head and getting tattoos just to 'freak people out'. There are a lot more authority issues, or issues with belonging, or issues with deliberately setting themselves apart. Sixes are more loyal and supportive/ desire loyalty and support than fours. They tend to think out loud or tell their thoughts to others in order to process them- the 6w7s, anyway.

Fours have more of a heavy heart energy- this regretful moroseness. When I think of four I think of the first verse of a poem by Paul Verlaine- Il pleure dans mon coeur comme il pleut sur la ville/ Quelle est cette langueur qui penetre mon coeur- It cries in my heart like it rains on the city/ What is this languor which penetrates my heart?

Fours tend to be more sullen or despondent. This isn't to say a four can't have fun and can't be silly, but there's always this undercurrent that the fun silliness is fleeting. Fours are separated from others, but they don't do this deliberately. They just are. They may shave their head and get tattoos but it's more about expressing something within. Fours don't rebel so much as just have a different way of seeing things/ doing things. Others may perceive this as rebellion, but it's not. Fours are self absorbed- by this mean, every thing comes back into the self- how does this affect me? How does this make me feel? How does this relate to my past and me feelings of regret, shame, envy? Fours can also be supportive, but often drop people when the relationship 'feels wrong'. They have higher expectations and become frustrated more easily.

More importantly though, you said you very much related to what I said about the four image- why the questioning?

My guesses:

ISFP Fours- Heath Ledger, Bob Dylan

ISFP Sixes- Kristen Stewart, Woody Allen, Julie Delpy

Thank you!

I remember on PerC there was an ISFP 6 who I felt I related to more closely than to the ISFP 4's I've met.

Same in person. The ISFP 4's I know irritate me. Especially if they have a 3 wing. But I have become somewhat close to an ESFP e4 who's status updates and general commentary on his position makes me want to shake him, time to time.

I suppose it's because I don't really have that depressive side anymore. And I read all the time that depressive female 6's may mistype their selves as 4. So I'm always curious if perhaps I had mistyped myself. I don't really understand type 6 very well. I do have a very anxious side, which almost caused me to seek out help.

B

brainheart

Thank you!

I remember on PerC there was an ISFP 6 who I felt I related to more closely than to the ISFP 4's I've met.

Same in person. The ISFP 4's I know irritate me. Especially if they have a 3 wing. But I have become somewhat close to an ESFP e4 who's status updates and general commentary on his position makes me want to shake him, time to time.

I suppose it's because I don't really have that depressive side anymore. And I read all the time that depressive female 6's may mistype their selves as 4. So I'm always curious if perhaps I had mistyped myself. I don't really understand type 6 very well. I do have a very anxious side, which almost caused me to seek out help.

I'll be frank, there are fours who bug the shit out of me while there are sixes I really sync with. I don't know if that matters as far as your typing goes. You might just be getting healthier.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not helpful sorry but heath has got to be an infp!

B

brainheart

not helpful sorry but heath has got to be an infp!

Entirely possible, not like I know for sure. I think it can be difficult to tell the difference a lot of the time (I can seem pretty ISFP-ish.) Regardless he's quite likely a fi-dom 4.

Otherwise, what's not helpful? Just curious-

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh I just meant my comment isn't going to be helpful to the op but Heath has to be infp! Haha

B

brainheart

I had always thought Kristen Stewart was ISTP. No? Is that the 6 influence?

I don't know, she just always seemed fi-dom to me, which would explain why she's often typed as a four. I think especially the situation at 6 mins in this interview made me think that:

I don't get the Ne vibe from Heath either but like I said I think it can be hard to tell. Introverts don't share a lot and a lot of ISFPs are philosophical and a lot of INFPs are good at/ derive pleasure from hands on work (I get paid to do things like re-upholster couches and paint murals on walls, for example. Sewing something practical like that isn't my favorite thing but it's totally better than having to get a job.)

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION]

I feel like Fi and my own personal demons give me some of that quality too more often than not.

Sunny Ghost

I've never really seen Heath talk about things that are not concrete and immediate to what's going on in his life.

But definitely... my INFP ex was an amazingly talented artist (drawing, painting, wood carving, cosplay costume building), who detested philosophy and psychology. Whereas, I would sit and journal and read about dreams, dream psychology, mbti, philosophy, etc. However, when we spoke: I spoke of things more immediate and more concrete. He spoke of bigger ideas, and loved to talk about coincidences and synchronicity, bringing this idea and that idea to one larger context. He was also much more imaginative and loved comic books and loved creating comic books.

B

brainheart

I've never really seen Heath talk about things that are not concrete and immediate to what's going on in his life.

But definitely... my INFP ex was an amazingly talented artist (drawing, painting, wood carving, cosplay costume building), who detested philosophy and psychology. Whereas, I would sit and journal and read about dreams, dream psychology, mbti, philosophy, etc. However, when we spoke: I spoke of things more immediate and more concrete. He spoke of bigger ideas, and loved to talk about coincidences and synchronicity, bringing this idea and that idea to one larger context. He was also much more imaginative and loved comic books and loved creating comic books.

The bolded is a distinction I've found to be very true. An INFP might start a conversation with something concrete but then the intuitive leaps start coming. INFPS express themselves best with figurative language. I know I get tired and antsy when conversation stays too focused on reality, and like I really don't have much to share. I don't find myself to be particularly imaginative, though, honestly- unless my metaphors can be considered imaginative. I'm too self-absorbed, ha, so everything I do is pretty self-reflective.

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], sure sixes can be deep and morose. I don't know how to explain it well, but six depression is different than four depression. Sixes, when depressed or upset remind me more of a crying baby who won't stop crying until someone comes and picks them up, while fours do their crying internally hoping that someone will notice that they aren't crying out loud and come check on them to see why they aren't. Back asswards, I know.

Sunny Ghost

What if one prefers to not be seen at all crying?

Is it possible for ISFP's and/or enneagram 4's to become hardened and desensitized to overly emotional people?

[MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION] is an ISFP 6 and [MENTION=8046]ayoitsStepho[/MENTION] is an ISFP 4 and they vibe very differently, so maybe that's a clue? Which one you identify with more, I mean.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never gotten the Ne vibe from him. What makes you think so?

oh just from some interviews i've watched where he seemed ne to me haha. he looks around a lot...doesn't have the se present vibe. he doesn't seem locked into you when he talks like a se user does. he describes things...films he's worked on etc in a very ne way imo. idk man my infp bf and i both thought it was obvious.

Sunny Ghost

[MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION] is an ISFP 6 and [MENTION=8046]ayoitsStepho[/MENTION] is an ISFP 4 and they vibe very differently, so maybe that's a clue? Which one you identify with more, I mean.

Neither and both. Ha! Ayo is much more bubbly, and Marm is way more aggressive. I'm somewhere in the middle.